F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 2017 BMW 330i xDrive, What brakes?
ARMA SPEED

04-17-2023, 09:42 PM   #1
fuzzkh
Registered
Rep
Drives: '17 330I xDrive

56,000 on the ODO. Second owner here driven about 10,000 miles, a year of ownership. BMW gave me a sticker shock of 1800$, front and rear rotors and pads, deferred.

Looking at options to get it done outside:

1. Meineke auto repair says about a 1000$ including aftermarket parts and labor. Apparently sensors are included too, cause according to them they work until the 'BRAKE' light glows. Didn't seem plausible.

2. A reputed import shop charges as much as BMW.

3. Still looking for a local independent mechanic/ garage who is familiar with BMW.

Living in central Illinois don't seem to have many options, my best bet would be to drive up to Chicago burbs, but can't with these brakes.

My last resort is going to a local mechanic here, seems to be a fair guy from what I've heard works on all kinds of cars, and agreed to get parts myself.

Question: Brake suggestions please?

Do I need the whole kit, the below was suggested by an agent on bimmerworld.
Standard would do nothing too fancy.

Open to options and suggestions though. Thanks!

https://www.bimmerworld.com/OEM-Fron...16792219K.html

https://www.bimmerworld.com/OEM-Rear...16864900K.html
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 09:52 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'd be sure the rotors are in need of replacement before doing so. Brakes are one of the easiest repair jobs, and BMW brakes are no more difficult to work on than any other car. See if any local high schools or trade schools have auto shop classes. Many of them will do work for little to no cost, you just supply the parts.
Appreciate 1
fuzzkh0.00
      04-18-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
fuzzkh
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I'd be sure the rotors are in need of replacement before doing so. Brakes are one of the easiest repair jobs, and BMW brakes are no more difficult to work on than any other car. See if any local high schools or trade schools have auto shop classes. Many of them will do work for little to no cost, you just supply the parts.
Yeah it looks like they are in need of replacement. I do have a very feeble metallic noise in the front even when not hitting the break? At low speeds. They(Meineke) told me the front ones are more worn out than the back and have just a few weeks left on them.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #4
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Check FCP euro, they have a lifetime warranty on parts, even wear items.

It would also be safe to drive the car even with the light on (assuming the light went on recently) - its not designed in such a way that it is immediately unsafe to use the car once the light goes on.
Appreciate 1
fuzzkh0.00
      04-29-2023, 02:43 PM   #5
fuzzkh
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
Check FCP euro, they have a lifetime warranty on parts, even wear items.

It would also be safe to drive the car even with the light on (assuming the light went on recently) - its not designed in such a way that it is immediately unsafe to use the car once the light goes on.
It's safe to drive for a bit, but not more than a couple of hundred miles I assume before they hit the caliper?

I checked FCP EURO and interested in this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...kt#description

But it seems they are only available for the rear and I need front too.

The bimmerworld kit says:

"Kit Contents:
OEM-quality Zimmerman Zinc-Coated 312x24 Rotors
OEM Brake Pad Set
Genuine BMW Rotor Bolts
OEM Brake Pad Sensor Wire

About OEM Brake Pads:

The brake pads in this kit are sourced from OEM suppliers, such as Textar, Jurid, and ATE. In some cases, we may substitute with Genuine BMW brake pads."

So I could possibility get one of pads from Textar, Jurid or ATE.

On FCP Euro I noticed these brands mostly are aftermarket not OEM and price is similar if I were getting the these pads and rotors separately or as a kit from bimmer.

Isn't this kit superior then, for the same price? And what your guys thoughts on the aftermarket combo from FCP euro(I still have to ask them if the front are available too)?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 12:35 AM   #6
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive M-Sport

Not suggesting you do this, but I’ve driven mine for several k miles after the wear sensor tripped with no issue.
Appreciate 1
fuzzkh0.00
      04-30-2023, 08:39 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't go several thousand miles after a sensor tripped but several hundred should be OK.
Appreciate 1
fuzzkh0.00
      04-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #8
Markyboyt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

The only way to know how safe the car is to drive is to look at all 8 brake pads. The sensor tripping will tell you the thickness of the rhr inner pad or the lhf inner pad is below the level of the brake pad sensor, the rest of the pads could be as new or down to the metal.
Appreciate 2
fuzzkh0.00
Billfitz8256.00
      04-30-2023, 10:42 AM   #9
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzkh View Post
It's safe to drive for a bit, but not more than a couple of hundred miles I assume before they hit the caliper?

I checked FCP EURO and interested in this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...kt#description

But it seems they are only available for the rear and I need front too.

The bimmerworld kit says:

"Kit Contents:
OEM-quality Zimmerman Zinc-Coated 312x24 Rotors
OEM Brake Pad Set
Genuine BMW Rotor Bolts
OEM Brake Pad Sensor Wire

About OEM Brake Pads:

The brake pads in this kit are sourced from OEM suppliers, such as Textar, Jurid, and ATE. In some cases, we may substitute with Genuine BMW brake pads."

So I could possibility get one of pads from Textar, Jurid or ATE.

On FCP Euro I noticed these brands mostly are aftermarket not OEM and price is similar if I were getting the these pads and rotors separately or as a kit from bimmer.

Isn't this kit superior then, for the same price? And what your guys thoughts on the aftermarket combo from FCP euro(I still have to ask them if the front are available too)?
I think the sensor goes off when there is 2mm or so of pad left. Its probably around 12 mm new. if you could only go a couple hundred miles on 2 mm of brake pad, you'd be getting new brakes every other month. You need to do this service- but its not like the car won't brake if you drive it tomorrow for errands.

Between the Bimmerworld and FCP kits, they are comparable quality. They both use Zimmerman rotors and various manufacturers for brake pads. There is also the genuine BMW kit if you want to pay extra https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...34216864900ktr

But also you don't need to buy a kit if you want to get a specific brand of pads, rotors, etc. FCP offers their warranty for all parts regardless of whether or not it was purchased as part of a kit.

For pads you'll want to research ceramic, organic, and metallic pads.
Appreciate 1
fuzzkh0.00
      04-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #10
fuzzkh
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
I think the sensor goes off when there is 2mm or so of pad left. Its probably around 12 mm new. if you could only go a couple hundred miles on 2 mm of brake pad, you'd be getting new brakes every other month. You need to do this service- but its not like the car won't brake if you drive it tomorrow for errands.

Between the Bimmerworld and FCP kits, they are comparable quality. They both use Zimmerman rotors and various manufacturers for brake pads. There is also the genuine BMW kit if you want to pay extra https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...34216864900ktr

But also you don't need to buy a kit if you want to get a specific brand of pads, rotors, etc. FCP offers their warranty for all parts regardless of whether or not it was purchased as part of a kit.

For pads you'll want to research ceramic, organic, and metallic pads.

Thanks! I think that makes sense, I'd still try to get it changed ASAP.

I am leaning towards the ceramic pads, potentially the one I referenced above the kit(Rear) with FCP Euro. Not sure I want to spend on the genuine ones. Still Sunday, have to check if the front ones are back ordered or not when they open tomorrow.

And obviously check what the warranty on offer is at Bimmerworld, even with the kit there is no clarity what kind of warranty is offered, am sure its not lifetime like FCPEuro.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:42 AM   #11
Eczwick
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

How do you know if you have the M sport set up? I’m new to BMWs so please excuse my ignorance. I think this bimmer set for the front will work for me…
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:02 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Do a VIN check. It shows options.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:50 PM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzkh View Post
Thanks! I think that makes sense, I'd still try to get it changed ASAP.

I am leaning towards the ceramic pads, potentially the one I referenced above the kit(Rear) with FCP Euro. Not sure I want to spend on the genuine ones. Still Sunday, have to check if the front ones are back ordered or not when they open tomorrow.

And obviously check what the warranty on offer is at Bimmerworld, even with the kit there is no clarity what kind of warranty is offered, am sure its not lifetime like FCPEuro.
I suggest to reconsider buying ceramic brake pads. Unless you have prior experience with ceramic pads, ceramic pads vary greatly. Some ceramic brake pads produce initial aggressive bite (or close enough) as OEM pads. Some don't. Some ceramic pads need time to warm up before providing optimal braking performance - not the best option for cold climates.

If you like OEM brake pad performance, just get OEM equivalent brake pads without Genuine BMW logo.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 02:03 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I switched to Akebono Euro pads. They pretty much eliminated the BMW brake dust and I can't tell any difference in performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 06:08 PM   #15
Avec
Rep
Drives: 440iX, 533i, Z4, 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczwick View Post
How do you know if you have the M sport set up? I’m new to BMWs so please excuse my ignorance. I think this bimmer set for the front will work for me…
Put your VIN in mdecoder.com It will show a complete list of options your car had from the factory. You can also put the last 7 into RealOEM.com to get part numbers for replacement parts. Some parts differ based on the options your car had, so it is good to have both. Eg, brakes. RealOEM will give part numbers based on options.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:11 AM   #16
Eczwick
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec View Post
Put your VIN in mdecoder.com It will show a complete list of options your car had from the factory. You can also put the last 7 into RealOEM.com to get part numbers for replacement parts. Some parts differ based on the options your car had, so it is good to have both. Eg, brakes. RealOEM will give part numbers based on options.
Thanks. Big help for a newbie
Appreciate 0