F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Electric windows problems
Studio RSR

08-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
Kristof
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport MG

Exclamation Electric windows problems

Anyone experienced problems with the electric windows on the F30?

Middle of last week I left the car somewhere locked and when returned, realized that the front right window is all open. Shrugged but did not think much about it. Couple of hours later I noticed that the driver's window (front left) does not close on a single pull as it should, I have to keep it pulled till it closes. After a few tries it stopped responding completely for a few minutes (my guess it might got overheated?), but scary to say at least.. In the next two days I found my closed car 2 times with a fully opened window, once with the front right, once with the back right window..

I brought my car to the dealer this morning to get it checked. They said they might get it fixed till the afternoon but refused to give a swap car.. nice start of the week eh?

Is this a known problem with the F30?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
F30Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330D M-Sport RWD

As far as I am aware the auto close isn't available everywhere.

I was surprised that the UK has 'full pull' the close and 'half pull' to close as much as you want it to with all our health and safety nonsense.

But in other countries I think the auto close is only available on the drivers window to prevent pinching if kids/partners fingers in the top of the windows.

If its only one of your windows doing it then I'm guessing there's a fault. Double check the rear's functionality
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Kristof
Private
Rep

Auto close was definetely working before on my car. Auto opening car windows randomly on a locked car should not be a feature afairc..

What I even forgat to mention is that since that started when auto closing even happens to work it closes the driver's window completely and then immediately pulls it back with about 30%. I could only get the window closed by quickly short-pulling it again to get it stopped in the right moment at the closed state.

I'm not sure which one is more disappointing, to have such problems with a 3 months old premium car or the fact that you dont even get a swap car at the dealer while they trying to fix their product.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristof View Post
I brought my car to the dealer this morning to get it checked. They said they might get it fixed till the afternoon but refused to give a swap car.. nice start of the week eh?
Tell them to go F*** themselves
      08-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport Melb. Red

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Auto close was definetely working before on my car. Auto opening car windows randomly on a locked car should not be a feature afairc..

What I even forgat to mention is that since that started when auto closing even happens to work it closes the driver's window completely and then immediately pulls it back with about 30%. I could only get the window closed by quickly short-pulling it again to get it stopped in the right moment at the closed state.

I'm not sure which one is more disappointing, to have such problems with a 3 months old premium car or the fact that you dont even get a swap car at the dealer while they trying to fix their product.
This sounds like the exact same thing that happened to my E90 after I replaced the window regulator. I didn't program it to learn the limits of the window, so it would do erratic things while trying to roll the window up and down. I had to do a series of roll the window up then hold the button in the fully depressed state for a number of seconds, then down and a few other tricks to get it to work. If you search the E90 post there are several post about window regulators. I had to replace every single one in my E90. I'm hoping I don't have that problem in my new one.

As far as the loaner, that's BS... The dealer I have dealt with has even given me a used car that was on their lot when all their loaners were given out, and I didn't even buy my car through them.
Sport Line, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Sport Auto Trans, Active Cruise Control, Heated Front Seats, Auto High Beams, Parking Assistant, Harmon Kardon
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Kristof
Private
Rep

Update from the dealer: the problem is a known one at BMW, they replace the driver window's electric motor in those F30s "which are affected based on their serial no" /quotes from the dealer/ . Part ordered, they'll get it done tomorrow.

Now the questions arise:
- why don't they notify customers proactively instead of waiting for them appearing one by one with those cars with the known failing parts?
- what other faults are currently just waiting to get discovered which will get immediately confirmed by BMW based on the product identifier? Can't I just have a list of known problems with the known fixes instead of playing this game every time?

@MaestroAl lol right, except this time I wanted to get done with the issue as fast as humanly possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Tell them to go F*** themselves
+1

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Now the questions arise:
- why don't they notify customers proactively instead of waiting for them appearing one by one with those cars with the known failing parts?
- what other faults are currently just waiting to get discovered which will get immediately confirmed by BMW based on the product identifier? Can't I just have a list of known problems with the known fixes instead of playing this game every time?
Thats the difference between a recall and a TSB. Just because a problem is known, it does not mean BMW needs to replace it on every car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Kristof
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Thats the difference between a recall and a TSB. Just because a problem is known, it does not mean BMW needs to replace it on every car.
Like the no signal screen problem? That's exactly my point - if it breaks the daily usability of the product (like finding your locked car with fully opened side windows when you're back), it should be an instant recall to ensure the brand's creditability. Oh that it hits the news then? Too bad.. but it definitely should not be the owners who pay the price of this. It just drives people anyway looking for more care, more quality and especially more professional service next time looking for a premium product.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Anyone experienced problems with the electric windows on the F30?

Middle of last week I left the car somewhere locked and when returned, realized that the front right window is all open. Shrugged but did not think much about it. Couple of hours later I noticed that the driver's window (front left) does not close on a single pull as it should, I have to keep it pulled till it closes. After a few tries it stopped responding completely for a few minutes (my guess it might got overheated?), but scary to say at least.. In the next two days I found my closed car 2 times with a fully opened window, once with the front right, once with the back right window..

Is this a known problem with the F30?
lol, i had an e60 replaced for this exact problem.
      12-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
babybeamer
bimmerrook
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

I have had my car, BMW 335 xdrive MSport for about 6 weeks and I just discovered the same issue. Here is the kicker.. I discovered it during a car wash when my passenger side window went down twice spontaneously. I rushed to get it up and managed to avoid any water or any significant soap getting inside, but it scared the S*&t out of me. I turned off the car and sat ready to raise the window if needed. Afterwards I checked all the windows from both my driver console and the seats themselves and the front passenger(the one that malfunctioned) would not go (auto-up) from either the passenger seat or the driver seat.

They better give me a loaner. And I agree with whoever said this should be a recall. Picture the conservation about replacing my leather and whatever electronics would have been damaged had I not got the window up... Not happy!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
TheFeelOfAFullTank
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

I know I'm late to the party, but I was wondering if anyone's figured out what the problem is yet.

I've had similar issues with the driver side window only where I've returned to my car with the window down/partially down. I've also had situations where I would wind the window up and it would wind itself down immediately to a specific point (about half way down) and stop, I would wind it back up and it would just keep repeating. And sometimes the "one click" function just doesn't work and I have to hold the button down. But most days it would work just fine. This has been going on and off for a few months now... Until it finally crapped out completely. Now the driver side switch doesn't do jack but make its (somewhat satisfying) clicking noise when you push and pull it, the window doesn't even flinch.

I took it to the shop and they say the regulator needs to be replaced, but I don't even hear the motor spinning in the door when I hit the button.

Anyone know anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #13
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeelOfAFullTank View Post
I know I'm late to the party, but I was wondering if anyone's figured out what the problem is yet.

I've had similar issues with the driver side window only where I've returned to my car with the window down/partially down. I've also had situations where I would wind the window up and it would wind itself down immediately to a specific point (about half way down) and stop, I would wind it back up and it would just keep repeating. And sometimes the "one click" function just doesn't work and I have to hold the button down. But most days it would work just fine. This has been going on and off for a few months now... Until it finally crapped out completely. Now the driver side switch doesn't do jack but make its (somewhat satisfying) clicking noise when you push and pull it, the window doesn't even flinch.

I took it to the shop and they say the regulator needs to be replaced, but I don't even hear the motor spinning in the door when I hit the button.

Anyone know anything about this?
have them give you a new car if they cant fix it
      04-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeelOfAFullTank View Post

The motor is not connected directly to the switch.
The switch only sends a request to the operating module which in turn talks to the window motor if its happy with the request.
      04-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
TheFeelOfAFullTank
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
The motor is not connected directly to the switch.
The switch only sends a request to the operating module which in turn talks to the window motor if its happy with the request.
Interesting. Do you think it's an operating module/switch issue rather than the regular?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #16
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

ive had this happen multiple times with my car
but luckily i have ISTA and can run the self check feature for my window and the error goes away
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #17
TheFeelOfAFullTank
Rep

So you reckon it's more of a software issue than a hardware one? I don't have ISTA, any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #18
J2G!
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Luxury

I have this problem on the passenger door window. When trying to put the window up, it would close and then bounce back down a quarter of the way. I then can't get the window back up and have got to play with the switch and turn the ignition on/off to get the window up but it keeps dropping down again. After 5 mins I got it closed. Also in my car I have the folding mirrors option so if I hold down the button to bring the mirrors in and close sunroof or any open windows etc it opens the window rather than close it.

Booked into the garage next week, thank goodness for the free extended warranty I managed to blag! I also have the clunking noise from the steering rack that you hear when you move the steering wheel when stationary which I need to get them to look at.
      05-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #19
mike-tomo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320d + e90 318d

I have this issue! What's the fix Williams told me it need to be reprogrammed ?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #20
Acky1969
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 320d sport

Electric windows problems

My passenger window was self opening when locking my car and if the passenger switch was used, i took it to Lister's (King's Lynn Norfolk UK) and they had a look and said that the reg had split and had burned the window motor out, i showed them the comment about it was a known issue and the said that it was not, i had to pay £560 to get fixed. i got the old Reg back but they could not give me the motor as they said it had been binned and i had to get in contact with BMW. anyone know which department i have to get in contact about this?
My car was the UK launch car.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #21
MB1985
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d Efficient Dynamics Auto

Great, my front passenger side window has just started doing this about a week ago. 2012 320d ED. Mostly no auto-up (may work intermittently). When closed fully, it opens back up by abt 1/4 of the way. Have to mess about with switch to slowly work it back up to fully closed. Dreading coming back to the car with open window. Removed all valuables now, very frustrating.

How should i go about dealing with this i wonder. I think i might try my luck with the dealers. Failing that, superglue.
Appreciate 0