F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > "Real world' driving impressions !
Extreme Powerhouse

11-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

"Real world' driving impressions !

I joined this forum a few months ago and have viewed many threads with keen interest. One of my own threads concerned split-fold rear seat option on the new 4 series and I can confirm the option does in fact relate to a 40:20:40 split....the 60:40 split IS standard !!
However, this post is really about my new 435i M Sport which has now arrived and which my wife and I spent a full day driving around Northumberland and the Scottish Borders putting 300miles under its new tyres.
I thought some of you out there may be interested in my (personal) impressions of the car from a "real world" perspective because if you are like me you may find magazine road tests are all well and good but I find they often tend to be too clinical in their approach at times and as far as performance on a track is concerned then, whilst interesting, I personally find that to be of little value to me.
My experience of BMWs goes back 31years from the days of an E21 316 up to the most recent, prior to the 435i, an E92 335i which I had for 6 years up to 95 days ago....yes I have been counting down the days to getting the new car!
Anyway....the 435i....utterly brilliant! An improvement over my very much loved 335i, but don't think I'm knocking the E92, I loved that car and whilst it had its fair share of warranty work over the years I never stopped forgiving its foibles because it always put a smile on my face, even if I was having a crap day!
Comparisons, however, are inevitable simply because the 'game has moved on' so much over those past six years which leads nicely to the thorny issue ( judging from a lot of your views!) of electric power steering. It definitely does have less feedback than the hydraulic system on my old 335i but nothing I can't get used to. I specced variable sports steering after much deliberation but have to say it really is very good. It inspires confidence in bends, is a good help when making tight parking manoeuvres and is rock steady at the straight ahead position at motorway speeds. Yes like many I lament the passing of hydraulic PAS but electric PAS is here to stay so we might as well embrace it as best we can. More importantly I found it doesn't detract from the overall driving experience.
Comfort, quietness and any harshness in the ride are all noticeably improved and I am on M Adaptive sports suspension and 19" alloys and even living in "speed hump" city the improvements make journeys more bearable!
Engine....nothing much to say really, it remains an absolute gem. Having said that I've driven my dealers' 428i demonstrator and was very impressed with its performance so had I not been fortunate enough to get a 435i I honestly wouldn't have felt short changed by a 428i at all.
Sports Auto gearbox is probably the best currently available, changes go almost unnoticed in 'Comfort' setting and are significantly sharper in 'Sport'....tried 'Eco Pro'............for about 5 minutes......that's enough of that!
Adaptive LED headlights and High Beam Assist really do work exactly as the BMW 5 minute video showcases them. I was sceptical at first but 'seeing is believing', if you have a lengthy night time journey ahead of you they can keep you amused for hours watching them work and I have never yet been flashed by oncoming drivers so they obviously aren't causing any dazzle.
HUD is a personal thing but for me I find it very useful as I wear glasses for better long range vision and looking at an instrument binnacle is slightly blurred so I find this a worthwhile cost option.
M Sport braking system.....works very well but whether or not the standard brakes would have meant I'd have hit the suicidal sheep 3 miles out of Moffatt is debateable, mind Estoril Blue calipers do look nice though!
If you are still reading this post having not yet lost the will to live then a big thank you to giving me your time and attention and I hope some of you out there have found it useful if you're deciding what to buy and how to spec it.
Whilst it's very early days in my, hopefully, long and happy relationship with this car if any of you have any questions then fire away. I specced quite a number of options on the car but for fear of shortening the Autumn haven't given impressions on all of them concentrating instead on those I'm guessing are of most interest, but if there is something anyone wants to ask I'll have a go at giving you an answer.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Great review - I'm after a car next year so any reviews are good. I'm still deciding on the options so the more info the better :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

An enjoyable read, thank you. I always find real world comments are good precisely because they focus on what really matter to you and me - what it's actually like for someone who cares. Proper road tests have their place because testers have experience of a much wider range of cars than you or I.

I think, however, the real art is in learning how to interpret road test reviews. I may be especially sensitive, but I've learned not to ignore it when a road tester flags something as a minor issue. For every single car I've owned, anything a reviewer had said was a minor issue, ended up being a major one.

The second lesson I've learned is that the real guide is not what the reviewers say when the car is first launched. Most reviews are just far too balanced and bland. The real test is the odd comment made - sometimes several months later - in passing. This reveals what the tester really thinks. Everything else is just: here are the pros, here are the cons, make up your own mind. Not really helpful.

For me, the acid test of a car is its handling. Does it flow? Give me a chassis that flows and I'm gone. The clearest example of this was my 1996 Renault Megane. By any objective standard this was a crap car. It had a horrible 1.9 diesel engine. No turbo, 67 bhp. 0-60 in about 15 seconds. And yet, only 39 mpg. Noisy as hell. Horrible, horrible thing. But my goodness the chassis was sorted. It just chucked around B roads in a way that elicited joy and laughter. In my world it was a better car than both the ones that followed, which by any objective standards should have wiped the floor with it. (Alfa 156 2.0 and Audi A4 3.0).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

sahajesh and bwrlane,
Thank you both for your kind comments, you've no idea how long it took me to type it being a child of the seventies!

I agree with your views on road tests bwrlane and of the issue of handling, all I would say is having, personally, had a lot of experience with a fairly extensive range of different makes and models I find BMWs tend to out-handle most of them and as far as this new one of mine is concerned I'm confident if it sniffs a challenging 'B' road I could take it by the scuff of its neck and chuck it down one and when it came out of the other end if it were a dog it would be waging its tail! I'm guessing you know what I mean since you have an F31 330d?

I'm also guessing sahajesh that when you say you're after a new car next year then you're looking at an F32 4 series, if so, tell me what options you're looking at and I'll give you my comments if I can!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Congratulations on your 435i. And I enjoyed your essay which I read all the way through!

Next year I am downsizing. I will purchase an M235i with 8sp Auto, electronic LSD, Estoril Blue II, Coral Red leather and with a few extra bits and bobs.

Last edited by F30AM; 11-05-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you F30AM......size is the only thing you'll be going down in next year mind you!
The forthcoming 2 series looks like a real winner to me and just the 'right' size too...a return to the BMWs of old and very fond memories but with all the latest technology to keep it right up to date!
Your intended choice sounds nigh on perfect!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Thank you F30AM......size is the only thing you'll be going down in next year mind you!
The forthcoming 2 series looks like a real winner to me and just the 'right' size too...a return to the BMWs of old and very fond memories but with all the latest technology to keep it right up to date!
Your intended choice sounds nigh on perfect!
My F30 feels like a big boat. It's too long and too wide for me. The M235i is 200mm shorter, narrower and will do 0-62mph in 4.8s with its creamy 322bhp donkey. Due to this, I will also enjoy driving a bit more. Has to be sDrive for me. As I don't do too many miles, I'll stick with a smooth petrol engine.

And another thing, with 2 doors only, not many family members will request a taxi service!
      11-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
I'm guessing you know what I mean since you have an F31 330d?
Oh yes
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Thanks for the review bmnut, read it right through.

I appreciate balanced and objective reviews, like you comments on the EPS. Many of us feel we have lost something from hydraulic PAS, but it is true, once we get use to EPS there isn't really much issue to it, albeit it is a bit different.

Thanks for the effort to type your thoughts on to the forum.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List

Pretty please!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
matk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

Nice review, im hoping to add a m235i to my garage all things going well. So i will have the F31 for the family and the 2 series for me. I cant wait to drive one they look like a good car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Thanks for posting such a great write-up, particularly so soon after getting your car. Those of us still waiting take some comfort from living vicariously through these member reviews!

Bitter jealousy aside , it's reassuring to hear that you're finding the combo of 19s and adaptive dampers suitably comfortable on British roads. It's subjective of course but good to hear nonetheless.

I think we'd all welcome some pics and an insight into your options list so that we can fire more questions your way.

Enjoy the car, sounds like an absolute peach.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Weather's been a bit crap since the new car arrived but allegedly is forecast to improve over the next few days so hoping to get some pics soon...then all I have to do is work out how to put them on to one of these posts!

In the meantime 'PrinceBarin' here's a more comprehensive spec list:-

Professional Media, M Sport braking system, 19" M Double-spoke style 442M alloys, Sport auto, Adaptive M Sport suspension, Variable sport steering, Reversing Assist camera, Electric Glass Sunroof, Ext. mirrors - folding,auto dimming, Split-fold rear seats ( grrr! ), Extended storage, Adaptive LED Headlights and High-beam Assistant, Head-up Display, Harman/Kardon surround sound, internet, Enhanced Bluetooth, Speed Limit display.........think everything else was standard options for M sport.

Ok give me a clue somebody!........how do you actually attach pics to a post ( and don't say a nail and a hammer!...I've already had that one from my wife! ).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

When you click Post Reply, scroll down the page underneath where you click the Submit button. You will see a button Manage Attachments. Click this and select your pics and and click on the Upload button.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Weather got better so here's a photo.....to see if I've got the hang of this !
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Must have done something wrong last time I tried to do this so here goes again!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Here goes again...third attempt !!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
ewanmac
Captain
Rep
Drives: m140i

Looks superb
      11-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

That's quite some car you've got there - super spec as well. I especially like the 442's they look stunning on the 4 Series. I think I would have been very tempted if they could have been spec'd on the F31.

Also a great write up - thanks for taking the time to give us your views.

PC
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Great pics. Gorgeous car.
Appreciate 0