F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > 130i Carbon Black, previous owners products.
Studio RSR

12-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

130i Carbon Black, previous owners products.

Hey guys...
So I've taken ownership of a fabulous 130i LE, carbon black.
The finish is great and the previous owner took great care of the paintwork..

He used:
Meguairs Ultimate Compound cleaner
Meguairs Ultimate polish
Meguairs Ultimate liquid wax
And kept it extra protected with Meguairs hybrid ceramic spray on wax.
It looks great and with his 2 bucket washes, shows only minimal 'wear'.

My question is this:
On my other cars I use Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub carnuba wax with a mixture of other products to polish first, mostly Dodo Juice .
If I use the Dodo, do I have to apply something to strip off the previous Meguairs wax and ceramic spray and start again with my own products.?
Is it wise/recommended to continue with his product choice.?

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

[QUOTE=ECTO1;26999463]Chemical guys makes a clean slate soap that supposedly strips old wax. Now with that being said I usually use obsessed garage decon soap. When I want to start fresh then I'll use carpro iron x and tar x. Once that's done on to clay bar then polish to trully get it back to bare paint. I usually go the ceramic route on my cars so a little more involved. But it sounds like your a wax guy so you should be good with a heavy wash and start using the products you like. Polishing is truly the only thing that will get you back to basics but you may have to be careful as the previous owner my have polished a few times. So a paint depth check is recommended.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Great looking car. Carbon black is one of my all time favorite paint colors for BMW's. I just wish it was available on more models.

Agree that polishing is the only true way to ensure the surface is completely free of all the previous products. Using one of those wax removing soaps might work, but I doubt it would totally remove a durable sealant.

If it is really in good shape I'd just live with it, at least through the winter, and when the previous owner's products have worn out and your ready to polish it all out switch to your preferred products.
      12-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Yes is really is a nice black... It has a luvly deep blue fleck.
I think that's wise words. Leave it over the winter at least. Then I can start in the spring.
I have some Dodo Lime Prime which would do the final removal stage I assume.
Then crack on with my own wax as per my previous cars.
Appreciate 0