F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 2nd transfer box failure
Studio RSR

01-26-2024, 04:07 AM   #1
fpladdict
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i M Sport

2nd transfer box failure

2014 F30 M sport w xdrive. Petrol 2 litre

Transfer box failed in April 2021 - BMW dealer applied for goodwill on the new one and it got 100%, only had to pay for investigation fee and something else that was small. The actual bill though was around £4,800.

Fast forward to today, put in for MOT at official dealer and it passed but they asked about a knocking noise (which has only just started). I agreed it was there on occasion and they say they think its the transfer box again. Im gutted - the warranty on new parts is 2 years I think and its just outside that. They say they will apply for goodwill again but im not so sure on my chances.

I love my car and hand picked it, if its not done under goodwill though I might have to let her go as its a very expensive repair. RIP.

I'm also slightly concerned its eaten two transfer boxs very quickly. I only did 12k miles in 2yrs 9 months on the new one. Did not expect it to fail. My question to the forum is is that just bad luck or should I consider selling the car even if its repaired under goodwill?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:14 AM   #2
chrismuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420ix F36

Have they given any explanation as to why its had issues with the transfer boxes.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:18 AM   #3
fpladdict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismuk View Post
Have they given any explanation as to why its had issues with the transfer boxes.
No but the one that's in my model (and others around the same time) appear to be quite likely to fail early. Hence the goodwill repair on mine originally, it appears everyone gets it. I read some of the technical details why before on other parts of this forum, but a bit over my head.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 05:38 AM   #4
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Is it running the recommended tyres?
Appreciate 1
MY340i721.00
      01-26-2024, 05:47 AM   #5
fpladdict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Is it running the recommended tyres?
It's only got tyres from the BMW dealer on it, and when they tell me they want to put new ones on it then it gets done. It's in for its service like clockwork at the official dealer. It doesn't do many miles.

I realise I'm spending a bit too much doing that, but I also realise the answer to your question is very likely "yes".

I'm not very technically competent as you can easily tell.
Appreciate 1
Lorcan3609.00
      01-26-2024, 09:04 PM   #6
fpladdict
Rep

Update :

Dealer called back, said it was definitely the transfer box. Then said they are going to try a fluid change on it first before asking BMW UK for goodwill and changing it completely again. I would have to pay for the fluid change, around 2-300 quid. I agreed but did ask why are they doing this step now - when the first one failed 2 years 9 months ago it was just changed out. The answer was this is a new step in the process to try first that BMW introduced in the last couple years. Apparently they do have some joy simply changing the fluid on them and also apparently BMW UK were spending a fortune doing everyones transfer box under goodwill, so they try this first now.

I agreed and it comes at a cost of around £400 total to me, I get the car back on Monday. The guy said if it starts knocking/juddering again within 200 miles to bring it back in and they will apply for goodwill for a new case. I asked how long have I got exactly for that and he said "not years but if it starts up again bring it in".

I did ask for an explanation why it ate a second case within 12k miles and under 3 years, but didnt really get one. Fingers crossed the fluid change does the job. I did read some of the technical threads on here about it and seems it has a good chance.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 02:39 AM   #7
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW f31 330d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpladdict View Post
Update :

Dealer called back, said it was definitely the transfer box. Then said they are going to try a fluid change on it first before asking BMW UK for goodwill and changing it completely again. I would have to pay for the fluid change, around 2-300 quid. I agreed but did ask why are they doing this step now - when the first one failed 2 years 9 months ago it was just changed out. The answer was this is a new step in the process to try first that BMW introduced in the last couple years. Apparently they do have some joy simply changing the fluid on them and also apparently BMW UK were spending a fortune doing everyones transfer box under goodwill, so they try this first now.

I agreed and it comes at a cost of around £400 total to me, I get the car back on Monday. The guy said if it starts knocking/juddering again within 200 miles to bring it back in and they will apply for goodwill for a new case. I asked how long have I got exactly for that and he said "not years but if it starts up again bring it in".

I did ask for an explanation why it ate a second case within 12k miles and under 3 years, but didnt really get one. Fingers crossed the fluid change does the job. I did read some of the technical threads on here about it and seems it has a good chance.
Are you sure there not changing the oil in the hope that it covers up the issue for a few more months? And at the point of the noise appearing again they refuse the goodwill due to the amount of time it's been on your car? Suggest getting something in writing from a manager ( if that even counts for anything)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 03:49 AM   #8
fpladdict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeg1633 View Post
Are you sure there not changing the oil in the hope that it covers up the issue for a few more months?
Yes I am sure at what they are suggesting. My BMW official dealer might be expensive, and inclined to try and get you to purchase things but they are not cowboys doing stuff like that - and do remember every phonecall you have with them is recorded. They are changing the transfer case fluid. They spend a fortune replacing these cases on goodwill so I understand why they they now try this first. A lot of the mechanically minded on the xdrive forum do it themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 04:08 AM   #9
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW f31 330d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpladdict View Post
Yes I am sure at what they are suggesting. My BMW official dealer might be expensive, and inclined to try and get you to purchase things but they are not cowboys doing stuff like that - and do remember every phonecall you have with them is recorded. They are changing the transfer case fluid. They spend a fortune replacing these cases on goodwill so I understand why they they now try this first. A lot of the mechanically minded on the xdrive forum do it themselves.
That's good to hear. I've never dealt with anything on goodwill but as someone who has used BMW official dealers I have had good and bad experiences and I am always cautious now. You will find as I have learnt through experience (not BMW) but some well known companies record phonecalls for their benefit only, I believe they only have to keep them for 6 months. Anyhow, hope you get your issue sorted
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 04:15 AM   #10
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

If a bearing / bush / chain / clutch pack etc is causing a knocking noise then something is worn broken or internally damaged so changing the fluid will not fix the issue unless they fill it with slightly heavier oil to potentially mask the problem , for a while.

Porsche had a terrible problem with transfer cases on their earlier Macans / Cayennes due to water ingress so much so the fluid was replaced annually to prevent them consuming themselves internally.

If the dealership is a good as you say then the removed TC oil should be sent for analysis to check for metal fragments which would indicate how much internal wear has taken place.

K
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00
      01-27-2024, 05:17 AM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeg1633 View Post
Are you sure there not changing the oil in the hope that it covers up the issue for a few more months? And at the point of the noise appearing again they refuse the goodwill due to the amount of time it's been on your car? Suggest getting something in writing from a manager ( if that even counts for anything)
That may be the case, or just kicking the can down the road.

I wouldn’t rely on conversations and allegedly recorded phone calls - I’d put the entire history in writing to the dealer, including dissatisfaction / concerns / etc.

I think it’s best to not be passive in these situations.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00