F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Deals Deals Deals!
ARMA SPEED

09-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #67
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think all things being equal it's the sweet spot in the entire BMW range (the 40d or 40i) I really enjoyed driving the loaner X3 I had it was very impressive and sporty (yes I know) I enjoyed it far more than the G20 loaner I had.

You get that grown up feeling without the grown up (silly) price of a powerful X5/X7 8/7 etc but retain the sporty pointiness of the smaller BMWs, it's right sized as well.
Weirdly that's not really helped. At heart I'm a big luxury car fan, currently without the budget (although to be fair we already have a Q7), and I'd love an X5, X7, 7 Series, A8, or S Class. I once got shafted by Audi on an A8 Black edition I was about to purchase and it took me a while to get over it!

But, this will do, budget and lifestyle wise, it fits. And, the good news for me, after going out to the pub and quiz tonight, I've returned home with a different anxiety.

I'm now worried they won't be able to secure the final discount and the car from another dealer........means I actually want it now I guess!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #68
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Bimmerpost first.

Wife bringing the deal over the line. Well done that lady take a bow
JustChris take a bow. You've not bought a car for a few months, but your influence has just got me half way to buying this one!

Fingers crossed the sales lady secures me a car now!

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 11-08-2019 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
      09-20-2019, 02:53 AM   #69
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Weirdly that's not really helped. At heart I'm a big luxury car fan, currently without the budget (although to be fair we already have a Q7), and I'd love an X5, X7, 7 Series, A8, or S Class. I once got shafted by Audi on an A8 Black edition I was about to purchase and it took me a while to get over it!

But, this will do, budget and lifestyle wise, it fits. And, the good news for me, after going out to the pub and quiz tonight, I've returned home with a different anxiety.

I'm now worried they won't be able to secure the final discount and the car from another dealer........means I actually want it now I guess!
Sure, I guess the point was having recently been offered a deal on a new 7er (but a 730d not the 40d) getting 25k off it and offered 3.9% APR it was still going to be well over £800 per month, so yes we'd all love a loaded X5/7 etc...but the pricing is too much IMHO, the X3 in my view offers enough of their talents for a sensible price plus other benefits those behemoths can't.

Have you driven one? I was shocked at how good it was and it wasn't a fancy 40d.
      09-20-2019, 03:10 AM   #70
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

Sure, I guess the point was having recently been offered a deal on a new 7er (but a 730d not the 40d) getting 25k off it and offered 3.9% APR it was still going to be well over £800 per month, so yes we'd all love a loaded X5/7 etc...but the pricing is too much IMHO, the X3 in my view offers enough of their talents for a sensible price plus other benefits those behemoths can't.

Have you driven one? I was shocked at how good it was and it wasn't a fancy 40d.
I really must have got a bad X3 30d or something as it didn't come across well for me in a 24hr test drive. I'm definitely not comparing that to a M40d or i btw, as I've sat in one and it was much nicer inside than the standard model. But to drive as well, the 30d I drove was very very average. It felt like it had all the disadvantages of the big beasts and few of the advantages. I wonder if it was something like the tyre pressures being way off.

I'm usually largely in agreement with folks' views on BMWs on here, which is why I find it surprising to be way out of line.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:22 AM   #71
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sure, I guess the point was having recently been offered a deal on a new 7er (but a 730d not the 40d) getting 25k off it and offered 3.9% APR it was still going to be well over £800 per month, so yes we'd all love a loaded X5/7 etc...but the pricing is too much IMHO, the X3 in my view offers enough of their talents for a sensible price plus other benefits those tbehemoths can't.

They didn't have a 40d in, but I drove a 40i yesterday and had a good drive on dual carriageway and then some Peak District twisties. Even in Sport, it isn't the cross country racer that Teaston says, at least not on proper roads, it was thrown by a banked set of corners I always test drive cars through.

But, it was pretty good and I liked the overall package.

One thing I wasn't keen on, which will be even worse in the 40d is the piped in sound. In the M40i it was much more proncounced and obvious than in my 440i.

Main worry is now that they won't be able to secure a car. They're currently contacting other dealers for a stock car, but no luck yet this morning.

Now I'm over initial remorse, will be gutted it they don't come through.

It's ok honouring the deal they advertised, but if they can't access the cars it's pretty pointless.

Apparently she's calling with an update by 1pm.
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      09-20-2019, 05:57 AM   #72
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Is the car you're potentially getting one of the new model years? So M Sport Plus coming with black grilles, newer iDrive etc?
      09-20-2019, 06:29 AM   #73
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Is the car you're potentially getting one of the new model years? So M Sport Plus coming with black grilles, newer iDrive etc?
Stock cars, hence the deal....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #74
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Stock cars, hence the deal....
Probably a blessing in disguise then, since you now need to spec the tech pack (or pay separately) for the HK sound. BMW giveth with one hand...
      09-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #75
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Probably a blessing in disguise then, since you now need to spec the tech pack (or pay separately) for the HK sound. BMW giveth with one hand...
Yep, my new car is old stock so doesn’t have latest dash - which I am not in the slightest bothered about!

It does have the important stuff like a sports exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #76
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
You know I can't help but think that is a barrier to the sale, having to tick a 3k pack just to get the one item you want, one of the stand features over the years with BMWs was the ability to pick and choose any individual option to create your perfect car and now that's gone in the main.
      09-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #77
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
You know I can't help but think that is a barrier to the sale, having to tick a 3k pack just to get the one item you want, one of the stand features over the years with BMWs was the ability to pick and choose any individual option to create your perfect car and now that's gone in the main.
WLTP to blame to be fair. Too many variations to put through testing otherwise...or so the story goes.
      09-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #78
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
WLTP to blame to be fair. Too many variations to put through testing otherwise...or so the story goes.
Nothing in WLTP that stops them offering the options separately they have made the choice based upon cost but for me it's a barrier puts the price up too much then you think fuck it I won't bother.
      09-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #79
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:
Cheapest for me was £624 on LV, but everyone else was way over £700.

Which seems a lot given I'm 47, 11 years no claims, no points and live in a lowish risk area. Oh well, try not to let it put me off.
I don't think it's too bad considering its a brand new vehicle. Mine is a little lower and with LV (in fact all of our cars are). I'm a few years younger than you with similar NCB. I can highly recommend LV, my parents use them and have had to claim before and they had a smooth experience.

In terms of risk and postcode area's this link may help, not sure quite how up to date it is but this is what a lot of insurers base their postcode risks off, I believe (some will be further targeted within specific postcode areas as many areas are quite large geographically):

https://www.theclayclothcompany.co.u...e-ratings.html

Goes A - F (lowest to highest risk) and Refer (for underwriters to consider).

Apparently we're in D* (the * only really relates to motorbikes needing to be garaged apparently).
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18762.00
      09-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #80
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, existing stock, which I'm ok with. Don't need newest I drive, dash etc. Happy with the car and deal.

Dealer excellence for a change. Said she'd phone by 1pm with an update, and she phoned at exactly that time.....and at 12:58 she'd had a car confirmed from Coopers Teeside, now marked as sold to me.

Had one extra option, folding mirrors, but said she'd lose that with a bit of extra discount.

Going in this afternoon to finalise everything, but she's taken a deposit to make sure it isn't nicked by someone else.
Appreciate 4
JustChris17487.50
goodbyalfa1056.00
D69GMB463.00
C320342.50
      09-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #81
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
I don't think it's too bad considering its a brand new vehicle. Mine is a little lower and with LV (in fact all of our cars are). I'm a few years younger than you with similar NCB. I can highly recommend LV, my parents use them and have had to claim before and they had a smooth experience.

In terms of risk and postcode area's this link may help, not sure quite how up to date it is but this is what a lot of insurers base their postcode risks off, I believe (some will be further targeted within specific postcode areas as many areas are quite large geographically):

Apparently we're in D* (the * only really relates to motorbikes needing to be garaged apparently).
It seems I have gone from an A to a D* just in time to coincide with getting faster more expensive cars... good plan!
Appreciate 1
C320342.50
      09-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #82
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, existing stock, which I'm ok with. Don't need newest I drive, dash etc. Happy with the car and deal.

Dealer excellence for a change. Said she'd phone by 1pm with an update, and she phoned at exactly that time.....and at 12:58 she'd had a car confirmed from Coopers Teeside, now marked as sold to me.

Had one extra option, folding mirrors, but said she'd lose that with a bit of extra discount.

Going in this afternoon to finalise everything, but she's taken a deposit to make sure it isn't nicked by someone else.
Glad it’s all worked out well!

Want to namethe dealer - know it’s stratstone, is it your local one?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #83
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Thanks, I'd seen that before, but not for a while. We're in B, so not too bad.

Think I'll get the quote down a bit as I got one for about £550 on confused.com

Still annoyed that I can't insure a BMW with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #84
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:

Which seems a lot given I'm 47, 11 years no claims, no points and live in a lowish risk area. Oh well, try not to let it put me off.
I'm also with LV. Their quotes have always been competitive and - crucially for me - they have a good reputation when it comes to dealing with claims. I could probably have saved a few quid by going elsewhere but if the insurer is no good in the event of a claim it's a false economy IMO; Mrs JNW1 found this to her cost when insured with General Accident who were worse than useless even though it was the other person's fault and we provided an independent witness statement to that effect.

In terms of price my renewal back in June was £302 with a £400 excess (£200 voluntary, £200 compulsory). However, that was based on 12k miles/annum and my F31 335d is obviously worth a fair bit less than a brand new X3 M40d!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #85
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Glad it’s all worked out well!

Want to namethe dealer - know it’s stratstone, is it your local one?
Yes, it's Chesterfield.

Usually been crap in all ways, but come through with a great price and service so far this time.....will see if that continues.....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #86
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it's Chesterfield.

Usually been crap in all ways, but come through with a great price and service so far this time.....will see if that continues.....
That’s amazing, for them!

One of my daughters friends works in new car handover admin something soifthe service tails off and you need an inside contact, just let me know...
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #87
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:

Mine's a B!

Probably explains my £550pa with 3 claims.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #88
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Mine's a B!

Probably explains my £550pa with 3 claims.
B here also

#lowrisk