F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > 520i Loaner...
proTUNING Freaks

09-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

520i Loaner...

...is a surprisingly nice drive!

Got the ol' 435d in for a checkup regarding some water sloshing around after heavy rain and they've given me a 520i as a courtesy car.

So far quite impressed, it doesn't feel as heavy as it looks. It feels exactly as wide as it looks however.

The engine feels like it has way more torque than the spec sheet suggests, however the turn in is rubbish in comparison to my 4er, most likely due to xDrive. The suspension is nice and soft as you'd expect from a 5 series.

There's absolutely no engine sound in the cabin or out the rear, but that's fine, as it actually feels incredibly well refined.

Some negatives then... The interior at first glance looks nice, but then when you look a little bit closer you begin to notice some awful quality black plastics. It's a poverty spec car, so perhaps it improves with options, but the quality of centre console plastics is pathetic for a flag ship BMW!

I rather like the ambient lighting though.

Overall I'm quite impressed by it, but it's still a bit too big for me and I'm looking forward to getting back into the 4er.

I'd be *very* interested to see how a 540i M Sport with xDrive feels in comparison though because I think it'd be a genuine baby M5.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9icy View Post

Got the ol' 435d in for a checkup regarding some water sloshing around after heavy rain and they've given me a 520i as a courtesy car.

So far quite impressed, it doesn't feel as heavy as it looks. It feels exactly as wide as it looks however.

The engine feels like it has way more torque than the spec sheet suggests, however the turn in is rubbish in comparison to my 4er, most likely due to xDrive. The suspension is nice and soft as you'd expect from a 5 series.

There's absolutely no engine sound in the cabin or out the rear, but that's fine, as it actually feels incredibly well refined.

Some negatives then... The interior at first glance looks nice, but then when you look a little bit closer you begin to notice some awful quality black plastics. It's a poverty spec car, so perhaps it improves with options, but the quality of centre console plastics is pathetic for a flag ship BMW!

I rather like the ambient lighting though.

Overall I'm quite impressed by it, but it's still a bit too big for me and I'm looking forward to getting back into the 4er.

I'd be *very* interested to see how a 540i M Sport with xDrive feels in comparison though because I think it'd be a genuine baby M5.
I am sure F30Andy will be along soon - he test drove a 540i before he replaced his M5 with an M5CP....
Appreciate 1
g9icy340.50
      09-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I am sure F30Andy will be along soon - he test drove a 540i before he replaced his M5 with an M5CP....
I think he said he tested the 530d and 540i and did comment there didnt seem a lot of difference in performance.

Not driven a new 5 series but drove an old F10 and my biggest gripe apart from the size of the thing is the steering rack is far too slow. I know its not a sports car but the steering is far too lazy to make it any kind of fun drive.

Apart from that, I did like it though.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

Compared to an xdrive F series that's no surprise and there is no such thing as a baby M car, they are so much more than a powerful engine, it's not like the normal BMWs whereby a 318d is the same as 435d apart from a bigger engine an M5 isn't just a 540i with a bigger engine.
      09-12-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Seriously thinking of getting a 520i soon

I reckon a 2.0i will be fine for what I need (coming from a 328i I know it wont be anywhere near as quick) - it seems equipment wise they all get ProNav and tbh the only thing that isnt standard that I'd miss is the reversing camera which can possibly be retrofitted anyway

Quietness, comfort and refinement are top of the list followed by economy and lastly performance - must be getting old :-)

Need to look at one in the flesh but it seems 18 and even 19 plate ones are available for under £25k with minimal mileage
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 05:35 AM   #6
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
I've had a 540i Touring for six months now, and very impressed. It may not be a baby M, but in the real world, plenty quick enough, and whilst it obviously doesn't handle like my Boxster used to, it can be fun when the opportunity arises.

Plan to keep mine, so added a few options, but at this point in time couldn't think what I'd replace it with. Comfortable, spacious, quick, pretty good looking ( as modern cars go), and I also like the fact that it has actual buttons to control things such as heating etc, unlike Audi /JLR etc
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

I currently have a 520d via BMW Assist. I’ve to return it tonight and collect the M140i and I absolutely do not want to part with the 5.

Soooo comfortable compared to the go kart and a much nicer place to spend time. I’m glad to have got this chance in a 5 as it was always on my list of possible next cars.

I live beside narrow country roads, but it’s not as bad as I thought would be for width. My other concern was would the 20d be enough in such a big wagon. Think the 530 would be a better proposition but for 95% of my driving this is plenty quick enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
g9icy
Captain
Rep

Loaner has been returned. Actually kinda sad... I liked the quiet comfort of it.

I never thought I'd like it as much as I did.

Must say it's not much of a looker though, especially when compared to a 4er.

Turns out my 435d needs a new tension bolt(?) and it explains some of the non-dieselly rattles I've been hearing. Wasn't going mad after all!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I dont find the 5 big at all, it certainly seems more manageable than the A6 I had 4 years ago. Turning circle on x drive equipped cars not fab, but not really any worse than the SQ5 that preceded it....

I have to say I am loving mine, even before its run in! 300 miles to cover this weekend (including hopefully a blast across the peak district near Chatsworth)....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

On the open road the 5 is great, we sold ours because it was too big for around town, parking it was a pain as it never fit in a bay.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1eash View Post
On the open road the 5 is great, we sold ours because it was too big for around town, parking it was a pain as it never fit in a bay.
Rarely need to parallel park, so not really a problem. Sticks out a bit a the local supermarket, but no more than your average large SUV
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #12
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:

PMSL.

That is the best one I have heard all week.

It's not even close to being a baby M5 my friend.
It's just a petrol alternative to a 530d which BMW marketing have tried to make more desirable by badging it as a 40i.

It doesn't deserve that badge.
They should have just badged it as a 530i.
Oh wait they can't because they have badged a 2 litre 4 pot as that.
Ok for the sake of keeping in line with their weird badging maybe 535i would have been more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I think he said he tested the 530d and 540i and did comment there didnt seem a lot of difference in performance.
I have had a G30 530d on my fleet since June last year.

When I decided it was time to get rid of my old M5 I looked at a few cars that I might want to use as interim daily drivers.
I went and test drove a 540i and to say it did not meet expectations is an understatement.

It is certainly more refined than a 530d and the power band and delivery is nice.
The one I test drove had the msport exhaust and sounded ok, but again was underwhelming.

Yes the 540i is fractionally quicker than the 530d but there is little between them and definitely not enough to make me want one as a daily drive.

This clip shows it quite well.

https://youtu.be/5JOu5G26RFg

I know it's in KPH but there's never more than around 12mph between them.

I recently did London to Aylesbury and then back to London twice in the same day using the same route on both trips.
Only difference was I used the M5 on the first leg and the 530d immediately after for the second leg.
It is testament to the 530d that it did not in any way shape or form feel shit immediately after jumping out of a M5.
That 3d engine really is the sweet spot in the BMW line up.

Would I want the worse fuel economy of a 540i for the sake of a few MPH and more refinement?
Fuck no.

I would have a 530d over a 540i all day long.
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      09-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by un1eash View Post
I find it fits in a disabled bay just fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #14
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:

The engine feels like it has way more torque than the spec sheet suggests, however the turn in is rubbish in comparison to my 4er, most likely due to xDrive.
I'm not sure I understand this statement, are you saying that the xDrive in the 435d improves the turn in?

I agree with the thoughts on the 5 series, I was given a 520d when I bought my f31 330d as it wasn't quite ready, and I loved it, the interior with full oyster and the ambient lighting was really nice. I was borderline disappointed when I got my F31, if it wasn't for the bigger engine and sharper handling(sDrive).
I think I would have been gutted when I got the F31 if theyd given me a 530d.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #15
g9icy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
I'm not sure I understand this statement, are you saying that the xDrive in the 435d improves the turn in?

I agree with the thoughts on the 5 series, I was given a 520d when I bought my f31 330d as it wasn't quite ready, and I loved it, the interior with full oyster and the ambient lighting was really nice. I was borderline disappointed when I got my F31, if it wasn't for the bigger engine and sharper handling(sDrive).
I think I would have been gutted when I got the F31 if theyd given me a 530d.
Yeah, I found the steering in my 435d to be significantly sharper and precise. I have some back lanes I frequent that I use to compare cars with and when pushing on, the 5er wasn't particularly precise. In fact I found myself caught out once or twice on the sharper bends where the car just wasn't where I expected it to be.

There's a lot of variables contributing to that though thinking about it...weight, RWD vs 4WD, size, tyres, suspension, etc.

As for my controversial "baby M" comment, I'm aware of the differences between an M and non-M, having driven both, I just meant that it'd be the closest I could get to an M5 without dropping a huge dump of cash on one.

I also value xDrive quite highly, as I've never been one of these people to enjoy going sideways, so I really like the idea of the B58 coupled with xDrive. Sadly they don't do the 440i with xDrive in the UK, otherwise that would be my perfect car!

Apparently BMW may be bringing the M550i to the UK... Now *that* is something I'm interested in.
Appreciate 0