F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Wheel Corrosion / Milking - Where do I stand?
ARMA SPEED

06-06-2018, 02:11 AM   #23
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
I had mine refurbished in year one. Cooper Reading outsourced to 360 alloys. I was also given the option of picking my own refurbish company. 360 messed a wheel up so I won't use them or Cooper Reading again. The paint was too thick in one of the valve holes so the tyre was leaking air. I had it fixed at my own expense. Even if 360 guarantees their work and I am within warranty.

To be fair the diamond finish has about 3 lives if we're talking corrosion only and not kerb damage. The wheel itself is not faulty. Based on that it is hard to justify a whole new wheel. I rang around after reading Teastons experience and 2 dealerships offered a refurbishment only. Might be worth calling more places.

I think it is a cop out for dealers. If a car is within the 3 year warranty the chances are that corrosion will need to be addressed once or twice. So by outsourcing it to companies who provide a one year warranty the dealer washes their hands of a recurrent problem.
What they have offered me is a re polish of the diamond faces on both wheels. They said they wont touch the painted surfaces. They will do this at there prep centre (not sure if they'll out source it from there)

Not sure if that is acceptable or if I would be entirely happy with that fix....

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 02:13 AM   #24
Mustard3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999rigger View Post
my car is nearly 2 years old and i have had 3 wheels replaced with new ones recently under warranty with no argument from the dealer at all.
Which dealer?
All 4 of my 442s have corrosion around the centre caps (Sept. 2016) and I'm wondering where to take it, Essex area.
Might be worth compiling a list of dealerships that don't quibble over this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 02:57 AM   #25
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
I had mine refurbished in year one. Cooper Reading outsourced to 360 alloys. I was also given the option of picking my own refurbish company. 360 messed a wheel up so I won't use them or Cooper Reading again. The paint was too thick in one of the valve holes so the tyre was leaking air. I had it fixed at my own expense. Even if 360 guarantees their work and I am within warranty.

To be fair the diamond finish has about 3 lives if we're talking corrosion only and not kerb damage. The wheel itself is not faulty. Based on that it is hard to justify a whole new wheel. I rang around after reading Teastons experience and 2 dealerships offered a refurbishment only. Might be worth calling more places.

I think it is a cop out for dealers. If a car is within the 3 year warranty the chances are that corrosion will need to be addressed once or twice. So by outsourcing it to companies who provide a one year warranty the dealer washes their hands of a recurrent problem.
What they have offered me is a re polish of the diamond faces on both wheels. They said they wont touch the painted surfaces. They will do this at there prep centre (not sure if they'll out source it from there)

Not sure if that is acceptable or if I would be entirely happy with that fix....
I'd want to know why they are not following the BMW warranty process that many have experienced here? If they are getting them refurbished it will be costing them money - I'd be surprised if BMW would reimburse them as BMW policy is clearly to replace them presumably as the issue will recur more quickly if repaired (e.g. all 4 of mine replaced with just nominal corrosion at the hubs and 2 had some kerbing)... Mine was Westerly - so no help to you I'm afraid... As far as I'm aware the dealer videos the wheels and BMW agrees it is a warranty replacement (or not) - if 'not' you are in the hands of the dealer who may choose some form of goodwill...
      06-06-2018, 03:23 AM   #26
philiper1
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i LCI

Garage List
whilst I had my F30, Cooper Norwich replaced all 4 of my 403 alloys without any issues, one of them you could see it was starting to corrode (if you were looking very hard for it, otherwise invisible) and the service adviser asked me where it was and I indicated it was round the centre cap and he checked and confirmed, all done without any arguments!
Junebug851615.00
      06-06-2018, 03:26 AM   #27
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:

Ask them what warranty they will provide on that.
The wheel refurb places I've seen, will give a 3 month warranty. With Powder coating, 12 months. I think that tells you all you need to know.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      06-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #28
999rigger
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 Series Convertible

Sandal Wakefield. They have been brilliant.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      06-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #29
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Don't want to hijak this thread but just an update on my goodwill claim for a rear wheel, just got a call to say car is ready & just £123 to pay!
"£123 for what I asked"
1hrs labour to fit new wheel
"nobody said anything about a bill to me"
let me talk to the manager & call you back....

What shall I do, pay it?

Evdok

Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #30
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
Don't want to hijak this thread but just an update on my goodwill claim for a rear wheel, just got a call to say car is ready & just £123 to pay!
"£123 for what I asked"

What shall I do, pay it?
Blimey - £30-50 perhaps but £123 to fit a wheel? I think the going rate at most places is £20-£30 so that needs a lot of justification & clearly no point in ever having tyres fitted there!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #31
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

My tyre is like new, just swapped over. bloody harsh £123, currently waiting for the director to call me.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #32
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
"£123 for what I asked"

What shall I do, pay it?
1 hour to fit a wheel? Sounds like the technician is on a go slow...

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #33
999rigger
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 Series Convertible

They probably charge a minimum 1 hour and £123 is the hourly rate!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #34
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just agreed to £60.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #35
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999rigger View Post
They probably charge a minimum 1 hour and £123 is the hourly rate!!
Sounds like the service guy just swiped his finger along the keyboard

On another note, does anyone know how in detail the video is that the warranty manager does to send off? Reason I ask is because I have a very small amount of stone damage to the painted spokes on my 405's however the DC is corroding from he centre and some spoke edges (not near the stone damage though).

The damage in question is no bigger than a pen nib - just wondering if I'm best painting the damage carefully before making a claim?
      06-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #36
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The corrosion on my wheel was 2 spots around the cap the size of a full stop, you had to look for it to see it.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #37
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by producerlawson View Post
Sounds like the service guy just swiped his finger along the keyboard

On another note, does anyone know how in detail the video is that the warranty manager does to send off? Reason I ask is because I have a very small amount of stone damage to the painted spokes on my 405's however the DC is corroding from he centre and some spoke edges (not near the stone damage though).

The damage in question is no bigger than a pen nib - just wondering if I'm best painting the damage carefully before making a claim?
I would assume it would be HD quality (don't know, just guessing) but if it helps one of mine had minor kerb rash and one had a 2 inch gouge but they still replaced with no quibble. It seems that if the chips etc are not near the worming and if there is just the usual amount of kerb rash rather than totally trashed I think they are fine with it. I don't see it as different to if the bottom of a door panel is rusting and you have a big dent in the wing - they still have to fix the rust... If you don't do a perfect touch-up it may show & make them more suspicious - they presumably are checking for refurbishment...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #38
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
Agree with all said here - this is a warranty decision that BMW make - not a lot to do with the dealer - their role is to simply follow the process and video the wheels and submit to BMW who make the decision - as others have said you should have no issues if there is not too much other damage - mine were just coming up to 3 years old and all replaced with no quibble...
It sounds like my dealer isn't aware of this process and wants to carry out a fix themselves rather than go through BMW. I might trawl through some threads online and compile a list of dealers that have given replacements. I'll then show this to Sycamore or go to one of them

Should I be speaking to the sales guys or service dept? I would of thought I should be speaking to service as they are after sales etc.

tomorrow is another day!
Peter Vardy in Edinburgh put two new sets of alloy wheels on my F30 it had exactly the same issue.

Current - L494 Range Rover Sport
Previous - F32 440i Tanzanite Blue - F30 335d X drive Black Sapphire
- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #39
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
I would assume it would be HD quality (don't know, just guessing) but if it helps one of mine had minor kerb rash and one had a 2 inch gouge but they still replaced with no quibble. It seems that if the chips etc are not near the worming and if there is just the usual amount of kerb rash rather than totally trashed I think they are fine with it. I don't see it as different to if the bottom of a door panel is rusting and you have a big dent in the wing - they still have to fix the rust... If you don't do a perfect touch-up it may show & make them more suspicious - they presumably are checking for refurbishment...
Ah that eases me a lot more.. thanks - believe it or not I managed to get a local paintshop to get the Orbit Grey paint code. Apparently if they're approved by a dealer to do their repair work then they're handed the official codes - I did some for a mates 405m and even the metallic fleck was spot on. Now if only I could properly match my Alpine White body colour
      06-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #40
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

i would be VERY careful about the repolish - any other dealer would see this as a non official repair and therefore won't cover any future claims under the warranty on those alloys.

Ask them why they aren't warranty and if you don't agree with them get a different network on the case...or call BMW CS.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #41
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Update - Reply back to an email I sent the dealer

Hi there Mr #####

You can come in Saturday, I will not be here as I am on annual leave from tomorrow until Tuesday,there is a big event on so I am not 100% sure someone from the sales department will be available.

I have asked our warranty guy to dig out the paperwork from your last visit, the paperwork has stated that we had replaced a centre cap but no corrosion has been reported on the paperwork.

In terms of warranty on the wheels we have spoken to the people that will diamond cut the face and they have said they will give 12 months warranty.

As we both know granted people do report issues with wheels on forums and say certain things about them but one thing we don't know is how they are looked after.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

#####

Time to go to another dealer?!?

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #42
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Update - Reply back to an email I sent the dealer

Hi there Mr #####

You can come in Saturday, I will not be here as I am on annual leave from tomorrow until Tuesday,there is a big event on so I am not 100% sure someone from the sales department will be available.

I have asked our warranty guy to dig out the paperwork from your last visit, the paperwork has stated that we had replaced a centre cap but no corrosion has been reported on the paperwork.

In terms of warranty on the wheels we have spoken to the people that will diamond cut the face and they have said they will give 12 months warranty.

As we both know granted people do report issues with wheels on forums and say certain things about them but one thing we don't know is how they are looked after.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

#####

Time to go to another dealer?!?
Sounds like it - but I wouldn't deal with sales at all on a warranty issue. Just ring up and make an appointment with the 'warranty guy'. He is saying there is no corrosion but yet they are going to pay for a refurbishment?? Obviously if you have corrosion this isn't correct so get him to look at your wheels again and acknowledge there is some corrosion. He should then video the wheels and send to BMW for a decision. Obviously he won't do that if there is no corrosion but if there is then he should have no reservations about doing so as it avoids them paying for a refurbishment and refit of wheels (4 hours labour for some apparently!!). This process can't be more straightforward and it isn't the dealer that gets to make the decision (except if there is no corrosion in which case their role is to ensure there isn't a waste of everyone's time)... Sales people in car showrooms are generally pretty clueless in my experience, so avoid...
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      06-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #43
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10

As has been said before, if the dealer prepped the car and refurb'd the wheels as part of the prep, they will not be covered by BMW warranty.

You will simply be presented with an opportunity to have them refurb'd again.

To me it sounds like that is the reason why you keep getting pushed back to the sales dept. Once refurb'd wheels are put back on the car, you are typically charged for wheel alignment and balancing. I know a few cases where folks get charged £60-100 dealer dependent to have wheels put back on the car.

Ask them if the wheels were ever refurbished by the dealer themselves?
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      06-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #44
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Just for info - I clean my car pretty much every week. I use Megs car shampoo on the wheels - I don use fall out remover or anything like that. Warm soapy water is enough to clean them because I do this regularly. All my wheels have been replaced twice due to corrosion.
It will keep happening because diamond cut is simply not fit for purpose.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00