F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream Head Unit that is NOT Android Based
proTUNING Freaks

08-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #67
trumani
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragenitro6 View Post
Well I caught a break in rain and installed it after work this evening
Overall really pleased with it - it was beyond dark when I finished and was using my light on my phone to finish putting everything back together lol

Here's a quick crappy iphone pic

So far everything is working great with the limited time I messed with it, but OEM backup camera is working, wireless car play, nav on car play etc

App version: BMW-LZH-2021-03-21 19:49:20(7d7f0e1)

MCU version: 415199bLZH-NBT-HW7-210419[B1280]

OS version: BMW-LZH-d: 2021-04-06 18:48[c7bb9dc]

Here is exact link I got mine from
Ordered on 7/20/21 and took 2 weeks to get here - got it yesterday from China on 8/2/21

I'll provide more detailed info after I mess around with it for a day or two
Quote:
Overall really pleased with it - it was beyond dark when I finished and was using my light on my phone to finish putting everything back together lol

So far everything is working great with the limited time I messed with it, but OEM backup camera is working, wireless car play, nav on car play etc

Ordered on 7/20/21 and took 2 weeks to get here - got it yesterday from China on 8/2/21

Awesome job! My MCU looks totally different but my app and OS version is from September and October 2020 respectively. I guess I'll have to figure out how to get an update.

Does your wireless CarPlay automatically connect when you start your car?

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #68
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i pre LCI

Has anyone found a work around for playing OEM radio while on android nav?
That's kind of irritating tbh - and saw it mentioned previously in this thread, just wondered if anyone found a setting that will allow this scenario to work
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #69
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumani View Post
Awesome job! My MCU looks totally different but my app and OS version is from September and October 2020 respectively. I guess I'll have to figure out how to get an update.

Enjoy!
Took a pic of the versions in system settings - does your look like this screen at least (just with different versions)?

Just trying to see if we have the same physical hardware just different firmware etc

After I ordered it from the link I provided, each time I went back to the site to see if order had been processed etc - a chat window would open up and they were usually pretty quick to respond to me - so if you got it from them, I'd try that and see if they can provide you answers about updating firmware
Hope that helps
I'll play with configurations more tomorrow to see if Car Play starts automatically etc
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #70
trumani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone found a work around for playing OEM radio while on android nav?
That's kind of irritating tbh - and saw it mentioned previously in this thread, just wondered if anyone found a setting that will allow this scenario to work
Quote:

There's one setting for aux mode from automatically to manual. Mine is stuck to on, I think because of the older software, but I think if you set it for manual, it won't automatically switch to aux when you start your car. For me, I press the radio button next to my control wheel, then switch it over back to CarPlay by holding the menu button down.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #71
trumani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Enjoy!
Took a pic of the versions in system settings - does your look like this screen at least (just with different versions)?
Quote:

Yep, here's mine:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:59 PM   #72
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep, here's mine:
There must be a way to update the firmware via usb or something
Do you see it as an option if you go into system settings or anywhere?
That would be insane if they didn't provide a way to update it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #73
trumani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, here's mine:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, here's mine:
I'm sure there is, but since I didn't buy thru andream, they aren't willing to help me, and the outfit I bought thru says there are no current updates, which you have effectively quashed that statement.

I'd be curious if you contacted andream showing my photo, if they would send you update instructions and even a file. I think a few others on this thread is also interested

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 07:34 AM   #74
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure there is, but since I didn't buy thru andream, they aren't willing to help me, and the outfit I bought thru says there are no current updates, which you have effectively quashed that statement.

I'd be curious if you contacted andream showing my photo, if they would send you update instructions and even a file. I think a few others on this thread is also interested

I am IM'ing them now - not sure if they're there since the time difference but will advise
I am planning on 're-doing' my installation over the weekend when there is more light for me haha - my impatience got best of me and I need to route usb cable properly, mount the GPS antenna and get cords more neatly placed.
I couldn't get my upper dash trim all the way back in and when I looked at it this morning, when I moved the trim the sound from left side cut in and out
Not anything bad with the unit, it was my impatience to not wait until I had more time and I did a rush job installing it haha - I didn't want to wait to see bigger screen til the weekend - so it's my own fault
But I'll get it all tidied up and back to OEM looking
But my car did start on Android side this morning - just had to hit wireless carplay on screen and it started right up, didn't have to touch anything on my phone or anything else
I'll advise what feedback I get from andream - I'd still think since you got THEIR unit, they'd be willing to help to keep good customer service, but obvioiusly not all companies think the same way, especially overseas
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #75
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep

Oh, one other thing that happened this morning

I had wireless carplay running and was playing music from my library on my phone - when I plugged in the usb charging cable from the middle armrest I lost sound - and couldn't get sound back on android side/carplay until I disconnected my charging cable
Is there something in android settings for this? I didn't have time to look at settings this morning before getting to work to see if this is just a setting to change
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:59 AM   #76
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep

trumani

I got a message back from andream - they confirmed no way to play OEM radio while on android nav/carplay

Also asked for screenshot of your firmware version so I uploaded that to my messenger window with them - I'm sure with the time difference I won't hear back from them until later/tomorrow but I'll keep you posted
Appreciate 1
trumani10.50
      08-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #77
trumani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
trumani

I got a message back from andream - they confirmed no way to play OEM radio while on android nav/carplay

Also asked for screenshot of your firmware version so I uploaded that to my messenger window with them - I'm sure with the time difference I won't hear back from them until later/tomorrow but I'll keep you posted
Thanks! Sorry I've been MIA, work's gotten in the way. I did hear back from the vendor after telling them that a fellow bmw owner with an andream device has a newer software OS. I don't know if I trust them, but they did say that, yes, their system is the same as the andream brand, and that yes, there is a newer software, but there is no current upgrade process. They said they tried to upgrade in testing but it bricked their devices.

I'm curious to see what andream tells you. Many thanks for trying for me and the community!

The reason I don't quite trust my responses is that up to this point they said that there were no new software versions available, but perhaps it was miscommunication and they meant there was no upgrade available for my unit, perhaps a translation thing as I know my vendor is from Asia.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #78
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Sorry I've been MIA, work's gotten in the way. I did hear back from the vendor after telling them that a fellow bmw owner with an andream device has a newer software OS. I don't know if I trust them, but they did say that, yes, their system is the same as the andream brand, and that yes, there is a newer software, but there is no current upgrade process. They said they tried to upgrade in testing but it bricked their devices.

I'm curious to see what andream tells you. Many thanks for trying for me and the community!

The reason I don't quite trust my responses is that up to this point they said that there were no new software versions available, but perhaps it was miscommunication and they meant there was no upgrade available for my unit, perhaps a translation thing as I know my vendor is from Asia.
trumani

Sent you a PM about this
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #79
trumani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
trumani

I tested it again yesterday, and I'm able to hit the radio button and then hold menu to go back to carplay. I think the key for me is setting aux mode from automatic to manual in the factory settings section. Try that if you get a chance, hopefully it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #80
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I tested it again yesterday, and I'm able to hit the radio button and then hold menu to go back to carplay. I think the key for me is setting aux mode from automatic to manual in the factory settings section. Try that if you get a chance, hopefully it works.
I'll give that a try - thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #81
ineffable
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcuz View Post
Follow up on the above.

In an attempt to get OEM calls experience I installed an MMI box (from TA Auto Upgrades in the UK - NOT recommended)… this didn't work out for me. My CHAMP2 system needed aux running to the armrest and a tap cable running to the microphone. I had crashing problems even on latest software and call quality was so bad it was unusable. Needless to say the unit went back (after eventually getting the supplier to engage).

My experience with the 8.8" andream screen is totally different. Solid connection, good audio quality and no crashing. I still ran Aux cable to the armrest but calls work as described by @bernardo.fortes which is fine now I'm used to it. Touch sensitivity is no iPad but I prefer it as a UI to the iDrive controller. Definitely feels like good bang for buck compared to an ID6 retrofit.

I also went for an 8.8" for better resolution. From others' experience with the 10.25" I'm glad I made the choice I did.

Downsides:
- I have set up auto connect to wireless CarPlay on startup which works great for one device but isn't as good for switching between two phones because it needs to be manually connected each time. My compromise is to use wired while my wife uses wireless.
- idrive side looks worse with the new splitscreen-esque graphic on the side (my headunit can't be coded to change resolution). I don't use it other than for reversing sensors display but it irritates me.
how did you manage to auto connect for wireless carplay? also, have you managed to allow music to continue playing while the backup camera is active?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 04:53 AM   #82
Llinded
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 320D IG: @f31_lind

Quote:
I have updated the software on my screen. The sent me an update file that you put on a USB and just plug it in the screen USB. It then updates when it boots.

I received it after listing a bunch of issues I had with the screen. Now I have a late 2020 version number. I contacted them again last week and tried them to send me the 2021 software, but they won't send me a file due to them not recommending updating if the screen works. They claim it may cause instability.

This is frustrating, since I still have issues with the screen. e.g. Phone not autoconnecting when I start the car (have to always manually connect bluetooth). Also the NAV button always opens carplay SIRI, and no setting to change that. The biggest drawback is IMO the microphone. It's really bad and unusable. I have to use the BMW bluetooth for that. It kinda works well, but I wish it all worked trough Carplay.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 05:21 AM   #83
aftawerks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrog View Post
@aftawerks

- As for the 10'25'' unit: As already mentioned, the device is advertised for F30 but fits both F30 and F20 (tested & approved), except the housing which does not perfectlty fit on the rear
- As for the 8'8'' unit: According to the AE seller, there is an option for F20 or for F30, which probably only differ by the housing.

Worth noting that the only part of the housing 10'25'' unit that doesn't fit on the F20 is removable and is simply clipped on the rear of the device. I'm not sure why Andream doesn't offer a 10'25'' version for F20 with the appropriate removable housing part. But again, the incorrect fitment is pretty minor anyhow.
Wanted to update this for anyone else that stumbles across the thread with my specific problem-
Andream straight up refused to sell me the F30 8'8 screen so I could try it in my RHD F20. They said the chips are different. Don't know how much I trust that but there we go.

They sent me the LHD drive F20 screen and I filed the rear plastic housing down so it would fit.
Did I double the world's microplastics filing it down? Yes
Did I get a load of plastic filings trapped in the screen? Yes
Did I have to half dismantle it and blow all the plastic filings out of the screen with a football pump? Yes

Was it worth it? Yep!! I had the oem 6'5 screen with huge bezels, no nav, no media streaming - basically a piece of ugly junk. This brings the look and functionality of the car bang up to date, at a fraction of the price of replacing the stereo and screen with newer second hand oem parts. I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #84
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E91 / 340i B58 F30

Hi guys,
Still following this topic, as this unit is apparently little discussed elsewhere on the internet.
Here are the build info on my unit, that I purchased on Aliexpress earlier this year:
APP version: BMW-LZH-2020-09-13 23:29:30 [8905a9d]
MCU version: CAN_MCU.NBT.H.190809
OS version: BMW-LZH-2020-10-10 21:44:21 [7bf9989]
It seems to be the same version as Trumani's, posted above.

As for my own experience, I can't complain. No blocking issues. I'm using the device with an Android phone (consequently, with a wired connection).
The only issue I have are related to the switch-to-call experience, which is pretty uncertain. Sometimes, it works flawlessly, by switching to the OEM system (which is what I want), sometimes, it's kinda in between (feels like the phone is both connected with the OEM and the screen) and sometimes, there is no outcoming sound when I call or answser a call.
Note: as I'm using the wired connection, I completely removed (or forgot) the bluetooth connection of the screen with the phone. I use to connect to OEM bluetooth prior to wirely connect the phone to the unit.

Another thing that bothers me is the weak magnitude of backlight adaptation to actual/ambiant light. It's too bright when driving at night, and barely enough in daytime. Plus I didn't find a way to manually adjust that without clicking literally 100 times on the backlight settings + or - buttons, from 0 to 100 or 100 to 0!

Edit: Thanks for the update aftawerks! Glad you like it. Coming from the same 6.5" Nokia-3310-like screen, I share your thoughts about this thing!

Last edited by FastFrog; 08-09-2021 at 05:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2021, 01:41 AM   #85
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Hey guys.

Just ordered this a bit ago from aliexpress.
Ordered from a seller AIOCOAI. I've seen some posts say they're same people as Andream.
Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...29cd4c4dVPlOKe

Ordered the 10.25" version because I like big screen and I'm not going to edit photos on it and much prefer to have a bigger map and interface overall. I actually have NBT EVO retrofitted but I'm going to be swapping over to Android, which makes NBT EVO not very useful for me, so I'm swapping back to NBT and going this route instead.

I did have Andream MMI box prior to NBT EVO and I definitely will miss the sound quality using NBT EVO, but MMI is the only way to get Android Auto, so oh well.

It's supposed to be here in a few days (emphasis on supposed to), so I'll share my experience here once I have that in.

Also, the seller sent me the manual for the unit, which was nice and will be a good reference.
      08-27-2021, 12:44 AM   #86
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Installed mine today. Works fine. The bass through headunit as opposed to bluetooth is a bit distorted though. I'd play the same song through the unit, and there would be this distortion in bass at drops but not through bluetooth.
      09-11-2021, 10:18 AM   #87
Glossy
Rep
Drives: 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcuz View Post
Follow up on the above.

In an attempt to get OEM calls experience I installed an MMI box (from TA Auto Upgrades in the UK - NOT recommended)… this didn't work out for me. My CHAMP2 system needed aux running to the armrest and a tap cable running to the microphone. I had crashing problems even on latest software and call quality was so bad it was unusable. Needless to say the unit went back (after eventually getting the supplier to engage).

My experience with the 8.8" andream screen is totally different. Solid connection, good audio quality and no crashing. I still ran Aux cable to the armrest but calls work as described by @bernardo.fortes which is fine now I'm used to it. Touch sensitivity is no iPad but I prefer it as a UI to the iDrive controller. Definitely feels like good bang for buck compared to an ID6 retrofit.

I also went for an 8.8" for better resolution. From others' experience with the 10.25" I'm glad I made the choice I did.

Downsides:
- I have set up auto connect to wireless CarPlay on startup which works great for one device but isn't as good for switching between two phones because it needs to be manually connected each time. My compromise is to use wired while my wife uses wireless.
- idrive side looks worse with the new splitscreen-esque graphic on the side (my headunit can't be coded to change resolution). I don't use it other than for reversing sensors display but it irritates me.
Hey, really interested in this, your obviously in the UK, same here. Be interested if you could let me know where you ended up buying the head unit from.
Cheers
Glossy
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #88
markus_97
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Hey fellows,

figured this is the appropiate thread to post this.
After updating my unit with the instructions from Andream support I now get this screen after boot. The QR code Saying: LZH_BMW:34694A006DC3AA06AA3926AA604499

Does anyone have an Idea where to get this Pin^^

Thanks in advance and regards from Bavaria,
Markus

Edit: Short review: Overall pretty happy with this head unit. Had some Bluetooth connection issues where the phone sometimes would not automatically connect. Also the brightness setting can be a pain in the ass. It often is to bright in the dark und to dim during the day. Then you have to manually adjust in the settings.
Attached Images

Last edited by markus_97; 09-17-2021 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: added short review
Appreciate 0