F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > OEM Carplay for 2018 ID6?
proTUNING Freaks

09-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
alby on boost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328 xi

OEM Carplay for 2018 ID6?

I searched but all the posts I found were about people who were trying to upgrade to ID6 and/or retrofitting a third party's program.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the process would be for me to get the OEM carplay on my ID6? Would I need to go to the dealer and get some sort of flash?

Currently have a 2018 330 with the touchscreen ID6, but no carplay. I tried to activate it through connectedapps but it's unavailable for this car.

(Before anyone asks why I want OEM and not other companies, I just do haha)

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
dg02
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i xdrive

You should be able to get this done at the dealer, probably charge you a few hundred bucks. I wanted to go this route (dealer) but they told me my car was not equipped with the appropriate hardware. Come to find out it did not have the antenna installed. Why they wouldn't do it I don't know but it is very easy to install, basically a wire with a connector that gets connected to the back of the HU. I ended doing that myself then going 3rd party (I used Bimmer-remote, they were great to work with) to update the firmware (OEM) and activate CarPlay. Wireless CarPlay works great. BTW, this was done on a 2017 340
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 03:53 AM   #3
f36_MSport
Rep
Drives: F36 MSport

Hey, I have a end of 2017 (facelifted) F36 with the large Head Unit.
CarPlay was an option back then, I didn't take it as I was using an Android. End of 2018 I switched to an iPhone. Wanted to activate CarPlay via the ConnectedDrive store, they were having issues for 6-8 weeks, at the end I activated via someone who does that on eBay.

The downside of that: recently the car required a fix, the dealer upgraded the whole system and CarPlay was gone, so I had to do it again but this time via a ENET cable.

Check online, there are many ways to do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby on boost View Post
I searched but all the posts I found were about people who were trying to upgrade to ID6 and/or retrofitting a third party's program.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the process would be for me to get the OEM carplay on my ID6? Would I need to go to the dealer and get some sort of flash?

Currently have a 2018 330 with the touchscreen ID6, but no carplay. I tried to activate it through connectedapps but it's unavailable for this car.

(Before anyone asks why I want OEM and not other companies, I just do haha)

Thank you in advance!
We can activate it OEM way if you want as well. Contact us through webstore.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
dg02
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
We can activate it OEM way if you want as well. Contact us through webstore.
I recently used Bimmer Remote for the OEM firmware update and full screen CarPlay activation. Couldn't be more pleased on how it went. Quick and painless, highly recommend
Appreciate 0