F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Michelin Cup2 - initially disappointed...
GetBMWParts

06-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #23
EstorilMSport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I track RE71R’s (square 265/35/18) and drove to the track in them and they are definitely loud. My street setup is PS4S 245/275 on 437Ms which I love on the street but don’t stack up on the track. I am considering Cup 2’s when the Bridgestone’s wear out but for track use only.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #24
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

The Cup2 are growing on me I will say. I haven't noticed any increase in road noise compared to PS4 and the comfort is the same. Roads are not stellar in China so a softer sidewall is to prefer. With a high HP RWD the softer sidewall is also aiding with traction so despite the lack of directional stability I think I'll buy Cup 2 again. Also a mighty good looking tire
      10-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #25
EstorilMSport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
This is my experience from tracking my M3.

I ran 4 sets of AD08R before, they are good tires. Going to Cup 2, the cup 2 has very soft sidewalls compared the to the Yokohama tires. You should be running a higher tire pressure and more negative camber to compensate for it.

I changed to Yokohama Advan A052. Much better track tire than AD08R or Cup2. I'm averaging 1-2 seconds faster over the Cup 2 on a 2 min track and it lasts longer. Compared to AD08R, it's a bit softer sidewall but a lot more grip. A052 also is strangely very quiet on the street if you want to drive it normally. It is just as quiet and civil as the AD08R.
What tire pressure are you running on the A052’s? I just mounted a set on my track wheels this week and eager to try them out.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:33 AM   #26
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
This is my experience from tracking my M3.

I ran 4 sets of AD08R before, they are good tires. Going to Cup 2, the cup 2 has very soft sidewalls compared the to the Yokohama tires. You should be running a higher tire pressure and more negative camber to compensate for it.

I changed to Yokohama Advan A052. Much better track tire than AD08R or Cup2. I'm averaging 1-2 seconds faster over the Cup 2 on a 2 min track and it lasts longer. Compared to AD08R, it's a bit softer sidewall but a lot more grip. A052 also is strangely very quiet on the street if you want to drive it normally. It is just as quiet and civil as the AD08R.
Can you update us on your thoughts comparing these two tires?

I am seriously considering the Cup 2 or AD08R.

The A052 does not come in my sizes and my favorite Bridgestones RE-11, RE-71R are not available either.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:39 AM   #27
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
The Cup2 are growing on me I will say. I haven't noticed any increase in road noise compared to PS4 and the comfort is the same. Roads are not stellar in China so a softer sidewall is to prefer. With a high HP RWD the softer sidewall is also aiding with traction so despite the lack of directional stability I think I'll buy Cup 2 again. Also a mighty good looking tire
I am very concerned about hearing this and I watched your video. The soft sidewall looks like a deal-breaker for me. I will have to go to a local dealer and inspect them before ordering if I decide they might be worth it.

I'm used to driving on the RE-11 which has a very stiff sidewall just like the AR-1. I am thinking if I get a set of Cup 2's it will feel like a bit of a downgrade in driving enjoyment. It is not all about lap times but how communicative the steering feel is. I hate to feel the tires moving around and have serious doubts if the Cup 2 would be the tire for me. Unfortunately the AR-1 is not available in my sizes.

Having tried both would you say you prefer the AD08R over the Cup 2?
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #28
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
I am very concerned about hearing this and I watched your video. The soft sidewall looks like a deal-breaker for me. I will have to go to a local dealer and inspect them before ordering if I decide they might be worth it.

I'm used to driving on the RE-11 which has a very stiff sidewall just like the AR-1. I am thinking if I get a set of Cup 2's it will feel like a bit of a downgrade in driving enjoyment. It is not all about lap times but how communicative the steering feel is. I hate to feel the tires moving around and have serious doubts if the Cup 2 would be the tire for me. Unfortunately the AR-1 is not available in my sizes.

Having tried both would you say you prefer the AD08R over the Cup 2?
I will buy the Cup2 again - yes. Comfort is more important to me than stability during fast direction changes. I think a part of it is that I run 225 and 245 on a 7 and 8" wheel. This is not good for sidewall stability.