F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9/10 HU theming and discussion
ARMA SPEED

05-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #683
F20_M135i
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw f20 M135i Xdrive PWG

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #684
RedErik
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post

Sorry I still had no time to look into it, but one other person will test that as well. It looks like the overlay has been copied to storage/emulated/0 but not further to system apps. I need to check the script.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #685
dgraham1892
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi guys.
Just a question. Has anyone had their steering controls just stop working for skipping music or YouTube?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:33 AM   #686
RedErik
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
F20_M135i I've updated the script just to be sure, but I didn't see any issues with it. I will try this overlay myself lunch time.

EDIT:
It has been confirmed that this version of the script is working fine. Message is now gone.

Last edited by RedErik; 05-31-2021 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 10:15 AM   #687
F20_M135i
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw f20 M135i Xdrive PWG

Hello and thank you,

Instantly tested and it works perfectly fine, little black interlude of 0.5 seconds preferable to "starting the phone" and I kept my favorite theme
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:00 AM   #688
rytec
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW316da Touring 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
In my theme I have provided a blank template for dropping in your car. I takes some patience and attention to detail to clear up a car picture.

This is as far as I can help you with that. If you want a different background you have to make it yourself.
I would like to change the car in ID7 theme to my F31 luxury line, can somebody provide me a link to configure this model ?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:14 AM   #689
RedErik
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rytec View Post
I would like to change the car in ID7 theme to my F31 luxury line, can somebody provide me a link to configure this model ?
The easiest way is to login to your BMW account / ConnectedDrive account, and grab your car pic form there.
Appreciate 1
rytec0.00
      06-01-2021, 06:06 AM   #690
rytec
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
The easiest way is to login to your BMW account / ConnectedDrive account, and grab your car pic form there.
Yes I know, I've read that on your post, I can login to myBMW but I don't have a connecteddrive account and if I want to add my car it says it's not possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 06:35 AM   #691
RedErik
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes I know, I've read that on your post, I can login to myBMW but I don't have a connecteddrive account and if I want to add my car it says it's not possible.
Then try this VIN decoder https://bimmer.work/
It generates an image based on VIN (more or less).
You could also use your local BMW website and navigate to Owners > Accessories > Accessories Configurator. It may vary depending on your local version of the page. Then you select your model and you are presented with with an image (more or less accurate).

Unfortunately there is no other way of obtaining these images anymore. There use to be a server query that we could use to get accurate images based on VIN but this is no longer functional - BMW took that down.
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2021, 07:12 AM   #692
rytec
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Then try this VIN decoder https://bimmer.work/
It generates an image based on VIN (more or less).
You could also use your local BMW website and navigate to Owners > Accessories > Accessories Configurator. It may vary depending on your local version of the page. Then you select your model and you are presented with with an image (more or less accurate).

Unfortunately there is no other way of obtaining these images anymore. There use to be a server query that we could use to get accurate images based on VIN but this is no longer functional - BMW took that down.
Great well done, thank you.
The bimmer work was ok for me, there I could see the correct image with the right color.
I saved it as png file and I guess I have to replace the existing file on the screen with this one?
The png I saved has a white background.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #693
rytec
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Magic Smoke and mirrors
Erik, could you smoke this one too please with a black background for your theme?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #694
RedErik
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Erik, could you smoke this one too please with a black background for your theme?
"Smoke"? What do you mean? Do you want me to remove the background? If so I don't generally do that for people, you can image how many requests I would be getting otherwise. I provide these pictures for my customers who order boot animation from me as this doesn't cost me any extra work.

If I have time I'll try to help, but you have to appreciate that this kind of work takes time (something I'm constantly running short of) and effort.
Appreciate 1
rytec0.00
      06-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #695
rytec
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
"Smoke"? What do you mean? Do you want me to remove the background? If so I don't generally do that for people, you can image how many requests I would be getting otherwise. I provide these pictures for my customers who order boot animation from me as this doesn't cost me any extra work.

If I have time I'll try to help, but you have to appreciate that this kind of work takes time (something I'm constantly running short of) and effort.
Sorry Erik, I understand. I will try to fix that later, first thing I'd like to have is my oem screen fully displayed on the Android.

I will have to check if there is a config file installed by the seller
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #696
RedErik
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry Erik, I understand. I will try to fix that later, first thing I'd like to have is my oem screen fully displayed on the Android.

I will have to check if there is a config file installed by the seller
No need to apologies, just wanted to let you know who things are with me. I always try to help, but there is only so much I can do with the time I have. Like I said, if I have some spare time I'll help you with that, removing background should take long. But this exception rather than a regular thing and please treat it like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #697
mrberry
Private
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgraham1892 View Post
Hi guys.
Just a question. Has anyone had their steering controls just stop working for skipping music or YouTube?
yep had the same happen to me. sometimes it randomly works but majority of the times it dont. not sure what it could be
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 02:58 AM   #698
RedErik
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Here you go

Last edited by RedErik; 06-02-2021 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
rytec0.00
      06-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #699
rytec
Private
Belgium
Rep

Wow Erik, thank you so much for this. Really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #700
rytec
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean Kri? Both id7_btn_car.png and id7_btn_car2.png images are with background. Or am I missing something?
Can you tell me where these files are situated in the rootfolder?
And do I have to rename it to id7_btn_car or car2 ?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #701
RedErik
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you tell me where these files are situated in the rootfolder?
And do I have to rename it to id7_btn_car or car2 ?

Thank you
Are you using my theme but just replacing your car? If so if you follow the download link you will get all the files needed to compile it. You just then look for id7_btn_car2.png file and replace it. You have 720p screen so look in hdpi folders.
Appreciate 1
rytec0.00
      06-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #702
rytec
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Are you using my theme but just replacing your car? If so if you follow the download link you will get all the files needed to compile it. You just then look for id7_btn_car2.png file and replace it. You have 720p screen so look in hdpi folders.
Thanks, I use your theme.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #703
Impastokitsch
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Quote:
Ok peeps, since we have a set of new tools to overlay the default launcher and redirect some of the shortcuts on our Android head unitu, I am moving theme related discussion from both Android 9 and Android 10 threads to this one.

If you want to chat with people you can also join the Automotive Android Headunit Discord channel.

Tools and guides

KswRedirect is a suite of apps to redirect default shortcuts. The following tiles can be redirected to any other: browser, dvr, file explorer, phonelink. More info here and all-in-on package can be found here.

KswOverlay for Android 8.1, 9 and 10. This tool lets you compile main launcher overlay themed to your liking, more info here. For details on how to create your own theme and compile overlay apk please check this video guide.

Overlay guide that helps to identify individual images and strings.

System overlay to get rid off the "Phone is starting..." message.

Splash image tool allows you to create your own boot image. How to guide can be found here.

BMW Accessories Configurator. If your car doesn't support ConnectedDrive and was built anytime between 2000-2010, you can use this tool to select your platform, paint job, wheels, details, interior etc and make your own graphics based on that.

Guide to create your own GUI

Video tutorial on how to create a custom boot animation and example files.

Video tutorial part 2 showing how to deal with other resolutions than 1240x480 and how to adjust source files resolution to match Android HU resolution.

Downsizing tutorial for boot animation.

UI problems caused by boot animation being too large.

Scrcpy for those of you how want to tinker with head unit on your desk, this is the app that allows you to display and control any Android device on your PC or Mac. For SD625 units it only works over WiFi but on older units it might work with USB A male to USB A male cable. A guide how to use it can be found here.

TL;DR

Here is what you need to install a theme:

1. A laptop or PC (Windows/Mac/Linux - doesn't matter). Your Android head unit and laptop/PC are on the same local network and can talk to each other.
2. KswOverlay project.
3. Java's JDK and JRE (linked in point 2).
4. A theme - if you decide to create a personalised car tile with your own car here are further requirements:
4a. Picture of your car.
4b. Photo editing tool like Photoshop or Gimp.

Now we have that sorted out, here is simplified procedure how to install:

1. Create your personalised "car tile"... or not.
2. Copy theme files to \KswOverlay-master\resources.
3. Compile your apk.
4. Make sure your laptop or PC are on the same network local as your Android HU.
5. Find out what is the IP address of Android unit.
6. Install overlay (script included).
7. Enable overlay with adb command.
8. You are done.

Once overlay is installed and running, you can always compile new apk with different graphics, copy it to a USB drive in simply install it on your Android unit - no need for laptop/PC again.

When new version of Android OS comes out and you decide to install it, then you have to repeat this procedure to upload and enable overlays (themes) again.

Understanding Android boot up sequence and preparing files for your animation:

Android boot up is split into two parts: first you would be presented with splash image – a static image that is shown before the animation starts. Then there is the animation itself.

Preparing splash.img file:
1. If you want to have smooth transition between splash image and boot animation you would typical use first frame (image) of your boot animation and convert it to splash.img. This is not necessary as you can you any image you want.
2. If you don’t want to use the first image of your boot animation, it is important that your splash image is the same resolution as your screen.
3. Use splash image tool to convert your image to splash.img

Understanding and preparing bootanmiation.zip file:
Here I won't cover how to actually make your own animation (this is explained in a video linked above) but rather explain how to prepare files for installation. Just remember that it doesn't matter if images are jpg or png, what matters is that the size of complete animation doesn't exceed 20MB.

1. Boot animation file consist of 2 elements: folder(s) ( part0 part1 … partn ) where images are contained and description file ( desc.txt ) telling Android how to play animation.
2. Each folder contains set of images that are being played out. A typical animation consists of 2 folders part0 and part1. In this case part0 would contain the main animation (set of images) and part1 only 1 images acting as a final step before booting sequence is complete.
3. For all of this to play out you need a description file. There are 2 elements to the description file: declaration of resolution and frame rate at which animation is to be played out, and information how to play each folder. Here is an example:

1920 720 25
c 1 0 part0
p 75 0 part1

1920 720 25 is declaration of screen width x height x fps
Then there is declaration of: type of playback , how many times , delay , path
- c stands for play in full
- p stands for play but once boot sequence is complete, interrupt (finish) playback
- first number stands for how many times this sequence is to be played
- second number is the delay between playback starts
- and finally last part is path of files to be played.

So taking apart this example we have the following:
Animation is 1920x720p at 25fps
Play in full part0 images only once (1) with 0 delay
Then play 75 times (assuming only 1 image is located the folder - 75 frames / 25 fps = 3 sec) part1 but stop it as soon as boot sequence is complete

4. Once all folders and desc.txt files are ready, use 7zip program to put your files in a zipped folder. It is important that you select compression level store, meaning files are contained in the zip file and not compressed at all.
5. Create OEM folder in the root of your USB stick.
6. Move bootanimation.zip and splash.img files to the OEM folder.
7. Plug in USB stick to your HU and wait for confirmation message.
8. Done.

Hope this is clear as mud now
Hi buddy im running a china made android 10 player for my CCC

Im willing to pay a small token to you if u can help me change my bootup animation to M and welcome text to add in my name.

Please dm me if u r willing to do that
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 04:08 AM   #704
Impastokitsch
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Quote:
Ok peeps, since we have a set of new tools to overlay the default launcher and redirect some of the shortcuts on our Android head unitu, I am moving theme related discussion from both Android 9 and Android 10 threads to this one.

If you want to chat with people you can also join the Automotive Android Headunit Discord channel.

Tools and guides

KswRedirect is a suite of apps to redirect default shortcuts. The following tiles can be redirected to any other: browser, dvr, file explorer, phonelink. More info here and all-in-on package can be found here.

KswOverlay for Android 8.1, 9 and 10. This tool lets you compile main launcher overlay themed to your liking, more info here. For details on how to create your own theme and compile overlay apk please check this video guide.

Overlay guide that helps to identify individual images and strings.

System overlay to get rid off the "Phone is starting..." message.

Splash image tool allows you to create your own boot image. How to guide can be found here.

BMW Accessories Configurator. If your car doesn't support ConnectedDrive and was built anytime between 2000-2010, you can use this tool to select your platform, paint job, wheels, details, interior etc and make your own graphics based on that.

Guide to create your own GUI

Video tutorial on how to create a custom boot animation and example files.

Video tutorial part 2 showing how to deal with other resolutions than 1240x480 and how to adjust source files resolution to match Android HU resolution.

Downsizing tutorial for boot animation.

UI problems caused by boot animation being too large.

Scrcpy for those of you how want to tinker with head unit on your desk, this is the app that allows you to display and control any Android device on your PC or Mac. For SD625 units it only works over WiFi but on older units it might work with USB A male to USB A male cable. A guide how to use it can be found here.

TL;DR

Here is what you need to install a theme:

1. A laptop or PC (Windows/Mac/Linux - doesn't matter). Your Android head unit and laptop/PC are on the same local network and can talk to each other.
2. KswOverlay project.
3. Java's JDK and JRE (linked in point 2).
4. A theme - if you decide to create a personalised car tile with your own car here are further requirements:
4a. Picture of your car.
4b. Photo editing tool like Photoshop or Gimp.

Now we have that sorted out, here is simplified procedure how to install:

1. Create your personalised "car tile"... or not.
2. Copy theme files to \KswOverlay-master\resources.
3. Compile your apk.
4. Make sure your laptop or PC are on the same network local as your Android HU.
5. Find out what is the IP address of Android unit.
6. Install overlay (script included).
7. Enable overlay with adb command.
8. You are done.

Once overlay is installed and running, you can always compile new apk with different graphics, copy it to a USB drive in simply install it on your Android unit - no need for laptop/PC again.

When new version of Android OS comes out and you decide to install it, then you have to repeat this procedure to upload and enable overlays (themes) again.

Understanding Android boot up sequence and preparing files for your animation:

Android boot up is split into two parts: first you would be presented with splash image – a static image that is shown before the animation starts. Then there is the animation itself.

Preparing splash.img file:
1. If you want to have smooth transition between splash image and boot animation you would typical use first frame (image) of your boot animation and convert it to splash.img. This is not necessary as you can you any image you want.
2. If you don’t want to use the first image of your boot animation, it is important that your splash image is the same resolution as your screen.
3. Use splash image tool to convert your image to splash.img

Understanding and preparing bootanmiation.zip file:
Here I won't cover how to actually make your own animation (this is explained in a video linked above) but rather explain how to prepare files for installation. Just remember that it doesn't matter if images are jpg or png, what matters is that the size of complete animation doesn't exceed 20MB.

1. Boot animation file consist of 2 elements: folder(s) ( part0 part1 … partn ) where images are contained and description file ( desc.txt ) telling Android how to play animation.
2. Each folder contains set of images that are being played out. A typical animation consists of 2 folders part0 and part1. In this case part0 would contain the main animation (set of images) and part1 only 1 images acting as a final step before booting sequence is complete.
3. For all of this to play out you need a description file. There are 2 elements to the description file: declaration of resolution and frame rate at which animation is to be played out, and information how to play each folder. Here is an example:

1920 720 25
c 1 0 part0
p 75 0 part1

1920 720 25 is declaration of screen width x height x fps
Then there is declaration of: type of playback , how many times , delay , path
- c stands for play in full
- p stands for play but once boot sequence is complete, interrupt (finish) playback
- first number stands for how many times this sequence is to be played
- second number is the delay between playback starts
- and finally last part is path of files to be played.

So taking apart this example we have the following:
Animation is 1920x720p at 25fps
Play in full part0 images only once (1) with 0 delay
Then play 75 times (assuming only 1 image is located the folder - 75 frames / 25 fps = 3 sec) part1 but stop it as soon as boot sequence is complete

4. Once all folders and desc.txt files are ready, use 7zip program to put your files in a zipped folder. It is important that you select compression level store, meaning files are contained in the zip file and not compressed at all.
5. Create OEM folder in the root of your USB stick.
6. Move bootanimation.zip and splash.img files to the OEM folder.
7. Plug in USB stick to your HU and wait for confirmation message.
8. Done.

Hope this is clear as mud now
Just a shoutout to RedErik

He did a fantastic job and $ well spent for his efforts
Appreciate 1
RedErik545.50