F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9/10 HU theming and discussion
proTUNING Freaks

06-07-2021, 03:34 AM   #705
NoXHunter
Rep
Drives: E93, F30, E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Custom APPs

Standalone custom dashboard app (download link). To answer your question, no this will not replace your existing dashboard - this is a standalone app that you have to launch from your app drawer.
IMPORTANT Development of this app has been stopped. If you have any issues, this won't get fixed.
daschacka Original coding
Frankly30 Self adb implementation and some tweaks
RedErik Custom graphics

Original post

Custom iDrive launcher CIC/NBT style.

iDrive Keyboard is live

***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***
If you are on the KSW software version 2.5.3 - Android 10, due to new and very strict memory manager every application that is not system app or KSW app will be killed after few minutes. That also affects this keyboard. If you are being suddenly switched back to Android stock keyboard it means KSW memory manager killed my keyboard. I am working on solution (if at all possible) but until then please revert back to previous software version that worked for you. Thank you for your understanding.

FlowUX Synesthesia custom launcher by nicholaschum

Hi Erik, i have been watching your work for some time and i found your Idrive keyboard genuinely lifechanger for android HU usage. Tested it myself for some time, i really utilised the scrolling keyboard and i wanted to offer it for my customers.

i do instal few units every month, and some of them are not "android friendly" ppl, apple owners, ppl who dont want/have google account. And with such situation, i wanted to ask if it possible to have something like "dealers licence" to install your keyboard on those cars, without using google store.

I do have no problem with paying for it (great bang for the buck), but the conveniency for some customers is the main issue.... If you would be open to discussion about this, would be great :-) if not, i totally understand.... thanks for any info !
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 04:14 AM   #706
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXHunter View Post
Hi Erik, i have been watching your work for some time and i found your Idrive keyboard genuinely lifechanger for android HU usage. Tested it myself for some time, i really utilised the scrolling keyboard and i wanted to offer it for my customers.

i do instal few units every month, and some of them are not "android friendly" ppl, apple owners, ppl who dont want/have google account. And with such situation, i wanted to ask if it possible to have something like "dealers licence" to install your keyboard on those cars, without using google store.

I do have no problem with paying for it (great bang for the buck), but the conveniency for some customers is the main issue.... If you would be open to discussion about this, would be great :-) if not, i totally understand.... thanks for any info !
Hi and thanks for your words, this is much appreciated.

I have to think about that to be honest. It's not that I don't want to do that, it's just the entire piracy protection, app verification and all the updates are done via Play Store or Google services. If I separate these from my app it will be super vulnerable to any attacks. I appreciate that it would be only for your usage so you can install that on your customer's units but from security stand point it's a big no. The only other way for me would be to make a custom version of the app just for you, buy a server, write my own update and license verification checks on the server side - something I never done and have no clue where to start 😂
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:15 AM   #707
NoXHunter
Rep
Drives: E93, F30, E70

I understand, that google play makes the whole "ecosystem" better for protection, uppdates, compatibility.... it was just an idea to play with :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 12:17 AM   #708
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

Quote:
F20_M135i I've updated the script just to be sure, but I didn't see any issues with it. I will try this overlay myself lunch time.

EDIT:
It has been confirmed that this version of the script is working fine. Message is now gone.
Just a piece of information because I notice an effect over time: my unit takes longer to start up (on the tiles screen) while remaining longer and longer on the black screen (which covers "phone start-up")
Overall we can say that I went from this black display of 3-4 seconds to 7-8 seconds now ...
Apart from updating other APPs, no modification of the KSWOVERLAY has been made on my HU system.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 02:59 AM   #709
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
Just a piece of information because I notice an effect over time: my unit takes longer to start up (on the tiles screen) while remaining longer and longer on the black screen (which covers "phone start-up")
Overall we can say that I went from this black display of 3-4 seconds to 7-8 seconds now ...
Apart from updating other APPs, no modification of the KSWOVERLAY has been made on my HU system.
Hmm... this is interesting indeed. I wonder if any other aspect of the system has anything to do with that. You can always disable this system overlay and see if boot times are back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 05:32 AM   #710
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Hey guys, I have a question for you: some of you may know that I make boot animations for people that reflect their actual cars. It's all very cool and stuff, people seem to really enjoy it so I was thinking of going a step further and transferring my designs onto t-shirts, hoodies, mugs, keyrings etc. Would anyone of you being interested in that or is it completely unnecessary? Every opinion helps 😅
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #711
MightyMouseSP
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36

Quote:
There is no fix to that issue. Chinese just don't know how to properly make a music app and keep ignoring user feedback regarding this issue.

Your best bet is to get a third party app, any music app really. But I don't think that anyone of them is made with car interface in mind - so no big buttons.

When I eventually finish my app, you will be able to use it with your controller and interface will be large enough for comfortable touch operation - but don't ask me when ��

Thanks RedErik,

I promise i will never ask...

Regards!
Quote:
Sorry, I've been super busy with other things, but I promise I will come back to it very soon.
If anyone has identify an app to play music offline, Im still open for new options... I have been trying all the apps I came across an none of them works ok for me...

Kind regards,
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #712
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseSP View Post
Quote:
There is no fix to that issue. Chinese just don't know how to properly make a music app and keep ignoring user feedback regarding this issue.

Your best bet is to get a third party app, any music app really. But I don't think that anyone of them is made with car interface in mind - so no big buttons.

When I eventually finish my app, you will be able to use it with your controller and interface will be large enough for comfortable touch operation - but don't ask me when ��

Thanks RedErik,

Regards!

If anyone has identify an app to play music offline, Im still open for new options... I have been trying all the apps I came across an none of them works ok for me...

Kind regards,
What are you looking for? Spotify checks that box for me (you need to bring it online once in a while to refresh the licensing), but runs full offline once you download the songs.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #713
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseSP View Post
Quote:

Thanks RedErik,

Regards!

Kind regards,
For me,

The 2 best APPs for playing music (excluding streaming) are :

USB Audio Player PRO
Poweramp Full Version
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #714
LAVF96
Registered
Mexico
Rep
Drives: F21, F10, E46, E87, R56

Hi! I have some days watching this post and finally I registered.

Already do some modification to my 535M and 140, change the user car and the media player. Thanks!

I wanna know if have some information about HU theme for Mini Cooper, some weeks ago change the stereo.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #715
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVF96 View Post
Hi! I have some days watching this post and finally I registered.

Already do some modification to my 535M and 140, change the user car and the media player. Thanks!

I wanna know if have some information about HU theme for Mini Cooper, some weeks ago change the stereo.
Never seen MINI Android HU. Do you have some pictures or link to the product page?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 06:57 PM   #716
30secs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i

Erik, I have a 2017 white bmw. Did you already make boot animation for it? Couldn't find one
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #717
LAVF96
Registered
Mexico
Rep
Drives: F21, F10, E46, E87, R56

Quote:
Never seen MINI Android HU. Do you have some pictures or link to the product page?
Yeah, i have some references

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf4LDLn7uqA (6:26 min)
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33049906380.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSjsYu5dY_Q (5:20 min and 5:48)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 01:48 AM   #718
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30secs View Post
Erik, I have a 2017 white bmw. Did you already make boot animation for it? Couldn't find one

I really don't know what to say...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 01:49 AM   #719
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVF96 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, i have some references

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf4LDLn7uqA (6:26 min)
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33049906380.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSjsYu5dY_Q (5:20 min and 5:48)
This is not Snapdragon 625 running KSW software. I would need to decompile system image (system image that I don't have) to find out how to make an overlay / theme for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 02:45 AM   #720
thecubasekid
thecubasekid
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E81 120D Msport F10 535 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
For me,

The 2 best APPs for playing music (excluding streaming) are :

USB Audio Player PRO
Poweramp Full Version
I find Kodi with touch enabled on the default skin pretty awesome, and it will play pretty much any file format you throw at it. I have it set to open straight in to 'artists' folder on start up. Looks beautiful with all the artist and album artwork it automatically grabs if you scan your files in to its library while on line, and you can set the skin base color to 'orange' that matches the rest of the dash well.

the buttons are not massive but plenty big enough for my fat fingers.

Last edited by thecubasekid; 06-23-2021 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:24 AM   #721
30secs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I really don't know what to say...
I saw you mentioned you made boot animations for some members so I figured I'd check. I'm gonna try to make one.

your dashcam graphics are sick btw. love the app.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:36 AM   #722
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I saw you mentioned you made boot animations for some members so I figured I'd check. I'm gonna try to make one.

your dashcam graphics are sick btw. love the app.
Yes, I do make boot animations. I made few universal ones for everyone to enjoy, but all custom ones are made to order. Once animation is paid for the files belong to the customer and it's not my prerogative to share these designs with others.

Last edited by RedErik; 06-24-2021 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #723
30secs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I do make boot animations. I made few universal ones for everyone to enjoy, but all custom ones are made to order. Once animation is paid for the files belong to the customer and it's not my prerogative to share these designs with others.
I was inquiring about the universal ones. White 3 series.. can't get more universal
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #724
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I was inquiring about the universal ones. White 3 series.. can't get more universal
No no, you don't understand. Universal ones are on the first page - no car, no personalised welcome text. Every single animation with a car in it was made to order. Every car model was made to reflect the actual car (no matter how many or few mods the owner made to it). I don't do "generic car" boot animations, this is not why people come to me. Almost everyone can slap a picture of a car they found on the internet and call it a day. I simply don't do that.

Last edited by RedErik; 06-24-2021 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #725
30secs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No no, you don't understand. Universal ones are on the first page - no car, no personalised welcome text. Every single animation with a car in it was made to order. Every car model was made to reflect the actual car (no matter how many or few mods the owner made to it). I don't do "generic car" boot animations, this is not why people come to me. Almost everyone can slap a picture of a car they found on the internet and call it a day. I simply don't do that.
gotcha. Thanks for sharing the tutorial and files.

so I created a USB with OEM folder, with splash.IMG and your bmw animation file. plugged it into the car USB and the Android hu usb. nothing doing. trying to manually import the splash from factory settings and it promoted no files found. what am I doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #726
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
gotcha. Thanks for sharing the tutorial and files.

so I created a USB with OEM folder, with splash.IMG and your bmw animation file. plugged it into the car USB and the Android hu usb. nothing doing. trying to manually import the splash from factory settings and it promoted no files found. what am I doing wrong?
Check following things:
1. File extensions doubled up like bootanimation.zip.zip or desc.txt.txt
2. Compression level - it has to be set to store.
3. Bootanimation.zip size - it has to be less than 15MB.
4. Boot animation has to have part0 and part1 folders (for some unknown to me reason).
5. USB stick less than 32GB, FAT32 file system, if doesn't work try another one.
6. Make sure splash.img was created with the tool that is linked in the first post.
Appreciate 0