F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Disassembling pin connectors
Studio RSR

07-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Disassembling pin connectors

Can anyone give me advice on how to remove pins from various plugs on the BMW? My adaptive lights aren't working, and I think I have it traced to a short on the LIN bus wire.

I am trying to remove a pin at the headlight connector and also at the FEM harness in the foot well. I bought this connector removal kit off eBay (pictured), but I can't seem to figure out how to use it. Is there a trick to releasing these wires from the plugs?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 05:31 AM   #2
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Each type of connector must be dealt with differently, to disengage the pin from the relevant housing.
I advise you to watch this video to get a better understanding of how to unlock the pins for each style of connector. Once you're done with your project, it's your call whether or not to crimp a new pin, or reuse the existing one, if it locks in just fine.
Appreciate 1
kdog_x195.50
      07-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, that video does shed a little light on it. I'll have to inspect the plugs a little more closely for locking tabs. Sounds like the tricky part may be finding the appropriate pins to crimp on the ends of the wires, otherwise cut and splice may be the only option.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i

Does the plug come out the surround plastic ?
When I was wiring my seats the plug slid out and on the side there were locking tabs you pushed in and wires pulled out? Like in this photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #5
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

I tried manipulating the headlight plug, there are some tabs on the back side that I thought might release it to get it apart, but I didn't have any luck.

The connector to the FEM module appears to have two internal plugs that can be removed from it. It's a 54 pin plug so there's a whole bunch of tiny wires. I didn't try to pull that apart, but it sounds like I probably need to find crimp on pins for both connectors if I'm going to dismantle them and replace the wire.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
I tried manipulating the headlight plug, there are some tabs on the back side that I thought might release it to get it apart, but I didn't have any luck.

The connector to the FEM module appears to have two internal plugs that can be removed from it. It's a 54 pin plug so there's a whole bunch of tiny wires. I didn't try to pull that apart, but it sounds like I probably need to find crimp on pins for both connectors if I'm going to dismantle them and replace the wire.
The outer cover does come off from the headlight plug. Pages 5, 6 and 7 on this document show how to remove it. It was tricky for me and I definitely broke some of the tabs, LOL.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...v4z5HPi5g/edit

For the FEM connectors, it should look like squibby's photo above, although shaped differently. Push the pin tool into the hole where the silver tab is exposed, depressing the tab while gently pulling the wire out.
      07-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome, that even has part numbers for the pins. I will have to see if those are available anywhere. I was contemplating cutting it a foot from the connectors and soldering and shrink sleaving. If I can get the correct pins that would be much better
Appreciate 0