F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Front end collision (tear warning)
GetBMWParts

11-18-2019, 11:51 PM   #45
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

I recently repaired a f30 335i xdrive, it was essentially the same damage. All front end damage, hood, bumper, rad support, cooling system, etc. this was also an M sport which has tons more cooling system components.

To be honest, in all, I spent about $4000 to repair the entire vehicle with all of the parts brand new, except for the hood and front bumper which I got used and same color as vehicle so I didn't need to get paint match. Mine did not have airbags deployed so didn't have to run into that issue. But I can I say that it is not as difficult as some might say. As long as there is no frame damage it's just like a puzzle. I have never rebuilt a car before this was my first, but I do my own repairs and maintenance usually on my own cars.

I'm not sure how much a shop would charge for your damage, but I know the vehicle I rebuilt, the body shop it was at before being determined as total loss, estimated about $14k and that's with out airbags deployed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:48 AM   #46
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
No way is the damage from 31mph, more like double that speed?
Agreed it was probably lower assuming other car was at rest.

But .... double the speed ??? Hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:51 AM   #47
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akf30 View Post
I recently repaired a f30 335i xdrive, it was essentially the same damage. All front end damage, hood, bumper, rad support, cooling system, etc. this was also an M sport which has tons more cooling system components.

To be honest, in all, I spent about $4000 to repair the entire vehicle with all of the parts brand new, except for the hood and front bumper which I got used and same color as vehicle so I didn't need to get paint match. Mine did not have airbags deployed so didn't have to run into that issue. But I can I say that it is not as difficult as some might say. As long as there is no frame damage it's just like a puzzle. I have never rebuilt a car before this was my first, but I do my own repairs and maintenance usually on my own cars.

I'm not sure how much a shop would charge for your damage, but I know the vehicle I rebuilt, the body shop it was at before being determined as total loss, estimated about $14k and that's with out airbags deployed.
Airbags for the 3 I see are just under $3k, dashboard $2500+ and you have to completely disassemble interior to replace....and also new steering wheel etc, so your $14k just went over $20k in parts (plus labor for those additional parts) alone.

I assure you the interior is not for the faint of heart where one incorrect or missed plug will cause your car not to start.......and you get to uninstall and troubleshoot. The front bumper is a walk in the park compared to the interior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:58 AM   #48
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf30 View Post

Airbags for the 3 I see are just under $3k, dashboard $2500+ and you have to completely disassemble interior to replace....and also new steering wheel etc, so your $14k just went over $20k in parts (plus labor for those additional parts) alone.

I assure you the interior is not for the faint of heart where one incorrect or missed plug will cause your car not to start.......and you get to uninstall and troubleshoot. The front bumper is a walk in the park compared to the interior.
Nvm forget what I said then I didn't have any of that lol. Mine was simply just body work, cooling system, radiator support, headlights, reinforcement bar, etc...

Mine was a walk in the park, sorry OP. Doesn't seem like yours is as easy of a walk. Go through the insurance; good luck!
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4481.50
      11-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #49
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

In the UK if you put through an insurance claim and it gets denied then that's bad as you will have to declare you had a claim denied going forward and the premium gets loaded.

I'm guessing this is why the op does not want to risk going through insurance?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #50
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
In the UK if you put through an insurance claim and it gets denied then that's bad as you will have to declare you had a claim denied going forward and the premium gets loaded.

Claim on his part may result in his insurance rates going up.
      11-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #51
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

The OP is from Michigan.... what UK you guys talking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #52
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post

Claim on his part may result in his insurance rates going up.
They will go up anyway as Insurance will know all about accident from Police Report.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #53
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Seems like the biggest liability is if the kid comes down with a back injury 2 or 3 years from now, and his practitioner suggests it is from or was aggravated by an auto accident....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #54
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Seems like the biggest liability is if the kid comes down with a back injury 2 or 3 years from now, and his practitioner suggests it is from or was aggravated by an auto accident....
Well lets hope for his own sake thats hes not injured in any fashion
      11-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #55
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
They will go up anyway as Insurance will know all about accident from Police Report.
I'm with you.

The point i was trying to make is having an insurance claim denied, is far worse. In the UK this leads to many insurance companies denying coverage and those that do to charge massive premiums.

Due to the shady nature of this accident I was just thinking the OP was primarily avoiding the claim being denied rather then the actual increases due to a succesful 'at fault claim'
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #56
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
Nephew...why all the questions i dont get why it matters to be honest. Might just take this thread down cuz its a train wreck
Before you weren’t so up front but lately you have. Thus the reason for the questions as everyone here is trying to help you out.

Now, have you reached out to your brother or sister for help regarding insurance? Could this fall on their policy as it was their son who crashed your car? I mean, if you can easily afford the financial hit to total the car and get another 340, by all means go ahead. But from what I was told by a dealership that frontal collisions on modern BMW’s will need a new steering rack so add that to your list if you plan on repairing the car yourself.

GL and though this situation is unfortunate, hope you keep your keys in a cake box from now on.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #57
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Quote:
Nephew...why all the questions i dont get why it matters to be honest. Might just take this thread down cuz its a train wreck
Before you weren’t so up front but lately you have. Thus the reason for the questions as everyone here is trying to help you out.

Now, have you reached out to your brother or sister for help regarding insurance? Could this fall on their policy as it was their son who crashed your car? I mean, if you can easily afford the financial hit to total the car and get another 340, by all means go ahead. But from what I was told by a dealership that frontal collisions on modern BMW’s will need a new steering rack so add that to your list if you plan on repairing the car yourself.

GL and though this situation is unfortunate, hope you keep your keys in a cake box from now on.
Ive also heard that tidbit as well about the steering rack. I think im gonna rebuild the car slowly taking my time with the airbags.
      11-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #58
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

no impact on the front wheels? steering rack probably fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #59
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
no impact on the front wheels? steering rack probably fine.
If you get a fender bender on the front the dealership will say you need a new steering rack. On any f30 for any front end end collision.
      11-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #60
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think im gonna rebuild the car slowly taking my time with the airbags.
You can save yourself a lot of time and money if you can get most of the parts from a single parts car, and body parts in the right color as another poster suggested.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #61
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think im gonna rebuild the car slowly taking my time with the airbags.
You can save yourself a lot of time and money if you can get most of the parts from a single parts car, and body parts in the right color as another poster suggested.
Searching copart/iaai/autobidmaster as we speak
      11-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #62
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
There is so much misinformation in this thread it's scary. I'm always amazed at how little people know about collision damage and repair. Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about just don't say anything.

OP, I would pursue an insurance claim. Your insurance company may or may not deny coverage, as you never granted permission for the other person to drive the car. It's more likely than not that they'll afford you coverage, but they could possibly deny coverage. Unlikely, but again prepare yourself for that.

As far as damage extent is concerned, it's tough to tell conclusively just based on those photos. You could certainly contact a few salvage yards to see what they'd buy the car for, but I'd still say your best bet is to pursue a claim with your insurer.

Best of luck, sorry this happened to you.
Curious, on what basis would insurance deny coverage?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #63
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

To your original question - I would say insurance is your only reasonable option if you want to (or have to) put things back to how they were pre-accident

Now to go down the rabbit hole - given this is your underage Nephew, it seems you are trying to be a great Uncle (commendable) - however given the fact that this is your sister or brothers kid - if it were me I'd be asking him/her how they are going to fix the mess their kid created.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #64
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
To your original question - I would say insurance is your only reasonable option if you want to (or have to) put things back to how they were pre-accident

Now to go down the rabbit hole - given this is your underage Nephew, it seems you are trying to be a great Uncle (commendable) - however given the fact that this is your sister or brothers kid - if it were me I'd be asking him/her how they are going to fix the mess their kid created.
Agreed. I would definitely bug my sister if my nephews or nieces took my car out for a spin and caused any damage. Bummer about the car. Good luck with your predicament!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #65
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
OP, this place gets parts cars all the time.

https://www.ebay.com/str/bmwnewandusedpartsstore
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #66
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
This repair can certainly be done for cheaper but you'd have to grab your tool kit and source your parts. Spoken as a DIYER. My insurance rates have always rise no matter what so I see what you have on your hands. And I have no accidents.

you do not necessarily have to go with all brand new parts either. I agree go brand new with the airbags (I don't think getbmwparts will ship you an airbag so check with them). Get a front clip from a rear ended f30 and you are practically in the clear. The most you need to do now is map out what exactly you'll need by taking it apart what's broken and what isn't. That budget will be out of wack if you are just grabbing parts just because. Anything broken on the engine? seem the tow bar did not do much damage under but just folded the hood like tin foil.
The tow hitch went straight into the coolant tank