F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330D Touring M Sport. Is the wait worth it?
ARMA SPEED

09-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Obviously if you do get the option of the revised Pro Nav system then go for it, but if for whatever reason you don't get it then the 'old' Pro Nav system is still a fine piece of technology. Think mine is great - looks good, gets me to where I want to go and still impresses everyone who gets in the car
Yes, sorry if that statement offended, the outgoing 609 is still a good unit. However, as Daveyc is within a week of a new nav, worth delaying the car to ensure it comes with the new one.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #24
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
By the way, I meant to ask - what are the differences with the new nav?

Thanks
Dave
It is a completely new unit hardware wise, and has new software.

Hardware comparison NEW vs OLD (massive hardware upgrade)

Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
1Gb RAM vs 512Mb
8Gb flash vs 512Mb
Nvidia graphics vs Fujitsu
200Gb harddisk vs 80Gb

In practice hard to explain, but it looks more Windows 7 than Windows 95. Has added features. One that benefits me is the ability to be paired with more than one mobile phone. I have a work and private mobile, and always seem to be paired to the wrong one, lol

Most importantly....is the current system and therefore eligible for development and updates as and when.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #25
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

A 3G sim what my sales guys said too, "so data will be downloaded faster."

I assume this means the previous one is 2G or slower nonetheless.
      09-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #26
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Isn't it an LTE connection or something ?
2012 BMW 330d .. gone
2009 MB C250 .. gone
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #27
Hardrada
Rep
Drives: F31 330D-M SPORT- Estoril Blue

Smile SatNav

I'll be honest guys, I've gone for the F31 330D M sport, for the extra room, the fantastic engine [0-62mph in 5.6 secs] and the expected ride quality. Minimal bolt ons. I drive 25,000+ miles a year without a satnav and I don't get lost, so seemed a waste of £2K to me.
I've gone for the 19's plus HK sounds and a tow bar, so I can chuck a decent bike carrier on the back to lug the Stumpjumper between trails, whilst listening to my fave sounds. Should get delivery in the next couple of days, hopefully before thursday as I have a few 100 miles to do that day
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
I'll be honest guys, I've gone for the F31 330D M sport, for the extra room, the fantastic engine [0-62mph in 5.6 secs] and the expected ride quality. Minimal bolt ons. I drive 25,000+ miles a year without a satnav and I don't get lost, so seemed a waste of £2K to me.
I've gone for the 19's plus HK sounds and a tow bar, so I can chuck a decent bike carrier on the back to lug the Stumpjumper between trails, whilst listening to my fave sounds. Should get delivery in the next couple of days, hopefully before thursday as I have a few 100 miles to do that day
It is a lot of money....thing is if you have had built in NAV before, you would never go without again. I also do mega miles for business, and am welcoming the ability to view emails on screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
It is a completely new unit hardware wise, and has new software.

Hardware comparison NEW vs OLD (massive hardware upgrade)

Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
1Gb RAM vs 512Mb
8Gb flash vs 512Mb
Nvidia graphics vs Fujitsu
200Gb harddisk vs 80Gb

In practice hard to explain, but it looks more Windows 7 than Windows 95. Has added features. One that benefits me is the ability to be paired with more than one mobile phone. I have a work and private mobile, and always seem to be paired to the wrong one, lol

Most importantly....is the current system and therefore eligible for development and updates as and when.
Great, thanks for the clarification - sounds like a very serious step forward. I was on the fence about whether I needed Nav at all and I made an appointment with the sales guy to have a full demo of the system (as it happens, in the same 330d M Sport that I test drove a week earlier). He said that this was the new, updated Pro Nav & that it was faster, with more storage etc. If the ability to pair with more than one phone nails it, then what I saw was the new unit, as we set up two phones: my personal & business phones.

The system really was impressively quick and responsive compared to the standard one I also looked at, which much nicer graphics. Is it possible that this car (just delivered to the dealer 10 days ago) could have the new hardware?

Apart from a lovely wide screen and great graphics, the decisive feature for me with this system was the ability to make calls by voice (tried it and it's impressive) and, like you NISFAN, I'll get a lot out of being able to pair two phones. Pro Nav is a big investment, but I'd feel bad about mucking around with portable sat-navs, screen mouths & chargers and waiting for them to get satellite lock in a 40k+ car ...

I'll check with the sales guy anyway, but I'm interested to know if you think what I saw sounds liked the new hardware.

Thanks for your help
Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Was it a saloon? If it was, it is supposed to have the older version nav. However BMW may have equipped demonstrators with the new system on special build (???)

If you saw the two screens you would recognise the difference, the newer version has more 3D type graphics in all areas. Funkier screen scrolling, etc. The nav screen also shows detailed 3D city graphics, so will show Big Ben etc. if you were in London.

But the key differential, is the speed at which it can determine the route. It also has extra route options too, an ECOPRO route whatever that means, as the old system has ECO route.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, sorry if that statement offended, the outgoing 609 is still a good unit. However, as Daveyc is within a week of a new nav, worth delaying the car to ensure it comes with the new one.
Not at all, while the 'old' unit is good the new one will obviously be the one to go for if your delivery date puts you around the changeover.

Maybe the new one won't take you down farm tracks, like the current one does!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #32
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ha ha, no I believe they have deleted 'farm road' as a routing option.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #33
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Guys the older sat nav on my 2008 330d wasn't as pretty or flash as the last gen, but t worked really well and had all the great safe integration you don't get with a TomTom etc

So I am not sure I would delay a build slot for months on the basic of a new nav. Couple of weeks, yeah sure

Remember BMW will keep tweaking this for new builds every year but never update existing units.....
      10-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #34
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Was it a saloon? If it was, it is supposed to have the older version nav. However BMW may have equipped demonstrators with the new system on special build (???)

If you saw the two screens you would recognise the difference, the newer version has more 3D type graphics in all areas. Funkier screen scrolling, etc. The nav screen also shows detailed 3D city graphics, so will show Big Ben etc. if you were in London.

But the key differential, is the speed at which it can determine the route. It also has extra route options too, an ECOPRO route whatever that means, as the old system has ECO route.
No, it was the touring - and yes, I realise now that it was definitely the new nav. I really liked and and took the plunge and ordered the pro-nav. Not had to delay my order - looks like all cars built from Nov onwards get new nab.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #35
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Spoke to my dealer today ... And I finally have a delivery date .. 18th October. My current car goes back to Mercedes on Friday 12th ... So 6 days without a car. Will have use of the wife's Alfa Romeo MiTo as a run around though thank God.
2012 BMW 330d .. gone
2009 MB C250 .. gone
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #36
Hardrada
Rep

my 330d msport F31 was supposed to be with me last week, then this week, then next week and now 23rd October
All reported via the BMW system. It has been shown as having left the factory 2 weeks ago, and seems to be sat in the docks in Germany waiting for the next boat.
Made worse by having a blast in one last week and it taking about 3 hours to wipe the fixed grin off my face
Ah well, it'll be worth the wait, looking forward to putting some miles into it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #37
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Quote:
my 330d msport F31 was supposed to be with me last week, then this week, then next week and now 23rd October
All reported via the BMW system. It has been shown as having left the factory 2 weeks ago, and seems to be sat in the docks in Germany waiting for the next boat.
Made worse by having a blast in one last week and it taking about 3 hours to wipe the fixed grin off my face
Ah well, it'll be worth the wait, looking forward to putting some miles into it.
Hardrada, I think your car and mine are sat together. We appear to be suffering the same expected dates, and then the same delays.
2012 BMW 330d .. gone
2009 MB C250 .. gone
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #38
Hardrada
Rep

Agreed. We'll compare notes following delivery. I went for Estoril blue withthe coral leather. Seen the combination in the flesh and it will put a smile on my face evry time I climb in.

Expected at the dealer on 23rd October. They've promised to get it to me same day [as long as they get it by 10.00 am]; although I may let them have it longer to ensure it's properly prepped.

My car's a fairly basic model, pretty much standard 330D M Sport, plus 19" alloys, HK and a tow bar for the bike rack. Ordered in July, without the advantage of lots of thread comments on Adaptive. Won't be jumping in a car with Adaptive so hopefully won't regret not having it. Standard M Sport sus is lowered by 10mm with firmer springs, so should still be a hoot to drive; just may not be as refined. Ah well.
Can't wait. Was hoping to have it before next week as I have a 400 mile round trip to do Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #39
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

Quote:
Agreed. We'll compare notes following delivery. I went for Estoril blue withthe coral leather. Seen the combination in the flesh and it will put a smile on my face evry time I climb in.
I was at a dealer Monday....the Sales guy seemed almost shocked when I suggested EB/Coral Red...he backed slowly away from me...
      10-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #40
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedhouse View Post
I was at a dealer Monday....the Sales guy seemed almost shocked when I suggested EB/Coral Red...he backed slowly away from me...
Well.......it works quite well if you're colour blind
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #41
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Expected at the dealer on 23rd October. They've promised to get it to me same day [as long as they get it by 10.00 am]; although I may let them have it longer to ensure it's properly prepped.

My car's a fairly basic model, pretty much standard 330D M Sport, plus 19" alloys, HK and a tow bar for the bike rack. Ordered in July, without the advantage of lots of thread comments on Adaptive. Won't be jumping in a car with Adaptive so hopefully won't regret not having it. Standard M Sport sus is lowered by 10mm with firmer springs, so should still be a hoot to drive; just may not be as refined. Ah well.
Can't wait. Was hoping to have it before next week as I have a 400 mile round trip to do Thursday.
You won't be disappointed with the standard M Sport suspension, it works pretty well I thought. The adaptive would be nice for those days when you want a more cosseted drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #42
Hardrada
Rep

Just thought the black was too heavy; rather have something a funkier. Each to their own.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #43
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just thought the black was too heavy; rather have something a funkier. Each to their own.
Lol, of course.....we all have different tastes.

Sadly BMW only offered 3 colours as standard (M Sport, and of course to push you into the extra cost versions)), and each theme is set. By that I mean if you went for the beige colour seats you got beige everything, which only works with certain exterior colours.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #44
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

Quote:
I agree having sat in the EB/Black MSport it seemed very dark, but it was inside the showroom and also had the privacy glass on the rear.

That said if/when I do pull the trigger I'll probably just be conservative and go for that combo