F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > ok I’ve had it with these run-flat tires
GetBMWParts

01-09-2022, 10:49 AM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerizm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankcmo View Post
I managed to drive around for 35 years without ever blowing a tire on a pothole and now that I have a car with run-flats it costs me $300 every time I get within 6 blocks of one. They must have much nicer roads in Germany but these things just don't work where I live. What do you do about spare tire storage if you switch back to decent tires? I'm not excited about losing half my trunk space but I can't keep the car if this is how it has to be.
Popular all seasons are Continental DWS06 PLUS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. Best summer tires are Michelin PS 4S. Consider upgrading tire size on stock wheels. I went from 225/45-18 to 245/40-18. Much better handling and they soak up potholes
Literally just got the Continentals today non-RFT and damn does it feel good. I chalked a lot of the dialogue up to placebo but it really does make a difference.
Cool! What wheels and sizes are those in your photos?
Thank you sir! They're replicas of the 763m wheels in gunmetal, 18" square setup. The real deal was way out of my league unfortunately.
Nice. What wheel width and offset? What size tires? Where did you find them?
I got the wheels from some guys in Jersey rimsus_nyc through eBay. 18x8 just like what came with the car.

And the Continentals from TireRack 225/45ZR-18 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS SL

I nearly stepped up to the 19s but read some posts that it really wasn't worth it unless you were going for that slammed look, which I was not. That said next mod is gonna be some Dinan springs, not to lower it per se but to tighten up the suspension a bit more.
What year & model? RWD or XDrive? There may be some other options to consider to tighten up your suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:58 AM   #24
ATL_Nak-Muay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Msport

I have rft's as well. I will be replacing the original set before too long, as I don't drive it much. We can run zr's year round here so I'll be there next.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #25
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I managed to drive around for 35 years without ever blowing a tire on a pothole and now that I have a car with run-flats it costs me $300 every time I get within 6 blocks of one. They must have much nicer roads in Germany but these things just don't work where I live. What do you do about spare tire storage if you switch back to decent tires? I'm not excited about losing half my trunk space but I can't keep the car if this is how it has to be.
Popular all seasons are Continental DWS06 PLUS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. Best summer tires are Michelin PS 4S. Consider upgrading tire size on stock wheels. I went from 225/45-18 to 245/40-18. Much better handling and they soak up potholes
Literally just got the Continentals today non-RFT and damn does it feel good. I chalked a lot of the dialogue up to placebo but it really does make a difference.
Thank you sir! They're replicas of the 763m wheels in gunmetal, 18" square setup. The real deal was way out of my league unfortunately.
I got the wheels from some guys in Jersey rimsus_nyc through eBay. 18x8 just like what came with the car.

And the Continentals from TireRack 225/45ZR-18 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS SL

I nearly stepped up to the 19s but read some posts that it really wasn't worth it unless you were going for that slammed look, which I was not. That said next mod is gonna be some Dinan springs, not to lower it per se but to tighten up the suspension a bit more.
What year & model? RWD or XDrive? There may be some other options to consider to tighten up your suspension
Cool, thanks! I'm totally open to suggestions. While shopping I test drove a 240i and an M2 and both just felt way more planted to my liking. The 3 feels like it gets a bit floaty in the front end. But the dog and gf won and I went with 4 doors.

I'm not looking to go crazy since the roads by me are terrible, but a bit stiffer would be nice.

She's a 2013 328i xDrive M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #26
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cool, thanks! I'm totally open to suggestions. While shopping I test drove a 240i and an M2 and both just felt way more planted to my liking. The 3 feels like it gets a bit floaty in the front end. But the dog and gf won and I went with 4 doors.

I'm not looking to go crazy since the roads by me are terrible, but a bit stiffer would be nice.

There are several components contributing to that suspension feel. I'm not a big fan of Dinan springs on an XDrive. They are overly stiff and lower all four corners equally, not desirable when the XDrive has reverse rake.

Do you have stock runflat tires in 225/45-18? If so you can upgrade to non-runflats in 245/40-18 for great handling and much better ride on rough roads. Continental DWS06 Plus and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4 all seasons are excellent choices.

A lot of the vague feel in the front end and steering is due to the big fluid filled Upper Control Arms bushings. Swap out the Upper Control Arms for these Monoball UCA's. Huge improvement. Easily one of the best mods that I've done.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22

The stock springs and shocks are weak. A great replacement combination are Koni Special Active Shocks and Eibach springs. See photos. Great control and ride. They lower the front more than rear to eliminate some reverse rake.

If you have Adaptive/EDC shocks then just swap in the Eibach springs.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
boyerizm243.00
      01-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #27
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There are several components contributing to that suspension feel. I'm not a big fan of Dinan springs on an XDrive. They are overly stiff and lower all four corners equally, not desirable when the XDrive has reverse rake.

Do you have stock runflat tires in 225/45-18? If so you can upgrade to non-runflats in 245/40-18 for great handling and much better ride on rough roads. Continental DWS06 Plus and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4 all seasons are excellent choices.

A lot of the vague feel in the front end and steering is due to the big fluid filled Upper Control Arms bushings. Swap out the Upper Control Arms for these Monoball UCA's. Huge improvement. Easily one of the best mods that I've done.

The stock springs and shocks are weak. A great replacement combination are Koni Special Active Shocks and Eibach springs. See photos. Great control and ride. They lower the front more than rear to eliminate some reverse rake.

Hope this helps!
Wow, thanks for sharing this. I can definitely vouch for switching to the Continentals, just did last week.

As for the springs, good call on the non-equivalent lowering front to back. I hadn't noticed the reverse rake until I took a profile shot of my car the other day.

Going all in with the controls arms and the shocks/struts seems like the way to go. And…my gf thought I was gonna buy her a new sofa with my Christmas bonus lol.
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      01-09-2022, 06:35 PM   #28
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Wow, thanks for sharing this. I can definitely vouch for switching to the Continentals, just did last week.

As for the springs, good call on the non-equivalent lowering front to back. I hadn't noticed the reverse rake until I took a profile shot of my car the other day.

Going all in with the controls arms and the shocks/struts seems like the way to go. And…my gf thought I was gonna buy her a new sofa with my Christmas bonus lol.
Great! My wife still thinks I'm saving to take her to Hawaii, but BMW parts cost money! Also along with the Eibach springs, swap out the stock bump stops for shorter F80 bump stops. See photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
boyerizm243.00
      01-12-2022, 10:54 PM   #29
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
I gave it a really hard look, but for f31 xdrive, the koni SA struts + bump stops + eibachs from the polish rally guy on eBay were within a couple Hundos of the KW Street comforts, so i did the KW. I can set it where I want it to sit… currently 1.5” down front and 1.0 down rear.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 07:21 AM   #30
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
I gave it a really hard look, but for f31 xdrive, the koni SA struts + bump stops + eibachs from the polish rally guy on eBay were within a couple Hundos of the KW Street comforts, so i did the KW. I can set it where I want it to sit… currently 1.5" down front and 1.0 down rear.
Sounds like a great choice. Can't go wrong with KW's. Please keep us posted on your daily driving impressions.

I was researching options for my F30 335i XDrive. Below is some data that I collected.

My dampers are Koni Special Actives. The springs are Eibach XDrive springs (with -06 in part number)

Spring Rate Comparison
—————————————

Eibach
Front 194/Rear 542 lbs/in

KW Street Comfort
Front 226/Rear 575 lbs/in

KW V1,V2,V3
Front 226/Rear 630 lbs/in

So the KWs are a bit stiffer than the Eibachs but not a huge difference. (By comparison the H&R's and Dinan's can be 30% stiffer than stock.)

Basically comparing KW-SC spring rates to Eibach spring rates:
Front +16%/Rear +6%

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #31
ewizzle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e & '22 JLU 4xe

Quote:
I think these are the same wheels that I have in my cart - haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing them. I've been told to always to with like a reputable place especially for wheels. What's your thoughts on these?

Quality? Durability? Seattle roads are awful and not the kindest on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 01:56 PM   #32
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizzle View Post
Quote:
I think these are the same wheels that I have in my cart - haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing them. I've been told to always to with like a reputable place especially for wheels. What's your thoughts on these?

Quality? Durability? Seattle roads are awful and not the kindest on wheels.
Well they've handled Chicago roads for the last couple weeks. Not exactly a long term test but so far so good. They look fantastic in person.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:57 AM   #33
webtemp
Rep
Drives: F30

Thank you for sharing. ( I need to make 4 posts and wait 1 hour. )
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 11:25 PM   #34
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!

Great! My wife still thinks I'm saving to take her to Hawaii, but BMW parts cost money! Also along with the Eibach springs, swap out the stock bump stops for shorter F80 bump stops. See photo
Hey while we're talking suspension, what are your thoughts on sway bar links? I'm reading they should be swapped out on lowered cars but don't see a lot of discussion on this.
Appreciate 0