F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > will my car take Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
GetBMWParts

08-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435d Convertible xDrive M Sprt

will my car take Ferodo DS2500 brake pads

As some may know, I find the brakes one my 435dx f33 spongey, soft, and with no bite. The brake tech at BMW said they're fine, and meant to be soft like that. It is also a known complaint of the standard brakes that come with this model (front 340mm discs, grey unpainted 4 piston calipers)

Different forums seem to suggest that the 4 piston front calipers (essentially the same as the blue m sport and performance ones) are fine if its better bite and stronger braking, you just need to get better front pads. The performance kit wont really make the braking power much stronger but is more for helping with fading and track style racing, and visual effect.

So can I just swap in these FCP4611H Ferodo pads on the front?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263712737697

It lists my car model number on this page.. 435dx f33.. (so they fit!)

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/coll...i-340i-435i-i8

However it does say: Compatibility -
Requires Sport Package
& Vehicles without Ceramic Discs

Does that mean they wont work?

Also I read somewhere that if you use these pads from the standard brakes the car has to be coded for sports kit brakes.. would a bmw dealer fit and code these, given that it's not their parts etc

or would it just be less hassle to pay the 1,800 (+fitting) to get the performance brakes, which will look nice too...

https://shop.bmw.co.uk/INTERSHOP/web...ID_102327gelb#
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Yes they’ll definitely fit and should give a large upgrade to braking performance. I have the DS Performance pads and although the initial bite is similar to oem I haven’t managed to make them fade at all yet!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
liam_b
Registered
Rep
Drives: .

Ok this is my 1st post so here goes.

Previously I had an Audi A4 b8 Avant 3.2 Quattro, the brakes were ok but lacked bite, I tried a few different pads, the best for good initial grab and control were Textar' s standard road pad, they're pretty cheap compared to upgrade parts and work far better than most people expect. I didn't test them from much past 100mph though they were great 100-0. EuroCarPrats may have them instock too, for not much money.

BMW supply pads which feel like they're made from soap in comparison

Last edited by liam_b; 08-14-2018 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Yes they’ll definitely fit and should give a large upgrade to braking performance. I have the DS Performance pads and although the initial bite is similar to oem I haven’t managed to make them fade at all yet!
Thanks teaston I get that they'll fit, but mine is just the standard M sport model, which comes with standard 2 piston front brakes on 340mm discs, and doesn't have the sport plus brakes option, which I believe that's what it's implying it needs to have to be compatible. Sports plus has 370mm discs and sports/performance brakes coding applied. Does that mean they won't be compatible or do I have to get some textar 370mm discs and have it recoded as sports brakes, and if so would bmw even code that let alone fit non bmw parts, given that it isn't really bmw sports plus brakes or performance brakes (or has twin piston rear calipers)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:35 AM   #5
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

It may be worth trying to" bed " the existing pads in again. Internet search will throw up the bedding in techniques and it worth a try.
May improve bite.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 03:41 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlad99 View Post
Thanks teaston I get that they'll fit, but mine is just the standard M sport model, which comes with standard 2 piston front brakes on 340mm discs, and doesn't have the sport plus brakes option, which I believe that's what it's implying it needs to have to be compatible. Sports plus has 370mm discs and sports/performance brakes coding applied. Does that mean they won't be compatible or do I have to get some textar 370mm discs and have it recoded as sports brakes, and if so would bmw even code that let alone fit non bmw parts, given that it isn't really bmw sports plus brakes or performance brakes (or has twin piston rear calipers)
Your car is a 435d so you have the 4 piston Brembo calipers (430d and below have single piston calipers), so as I say those pads will fit and work great.

If you want 370mm discs you would need new calipers, so really not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The Ferodo pads should help with bite and fade, and you'd also probably also notice a nice improvement in feel by replacing the standard brake hoses with stainless steel braided ones. Stay away from EBC lines though - I had problems with mine.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335d

I would much rather recommend Tarox Strada pads to you, just my experience.
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Forinor View Post
I would much rather recommend Tarox Strada pads to you, just my experience.
Thanks for the info. Looking at websites it's directly compatible and most importantly mentions nothing about needing to already have msport brakes. It does highlight progressive braking, the opposite of any bite (the issue I currently have), but if no coding or already having msport brakes being mentioned as a requirement I'm more inclined

The more I google about reviews of the m performance brakes the more terrible they sound, not a significant noticeable difference in braking power, a lot less bite than expected.. (the brake options are more confusing in the americas, and the msport brakes give more bite), mushy brakes, loads of dust, and many people with squealing brakes that bmw say is normal). I'd just hate to spend all that to sort a problem with the 435dx when I've already spent 2k to sort it's subpar suspension, to then find no difference in stopping.

I know I've moaned a lot recently making probably annoying threads, seeking the grateful advice of fellow car owners, as I'm stressed until every niggle is sorted in what was supposed to be my dream / long term car. The feeling of upgrading from a 420d, to a very powerful car (for me) 435dx, yet unable to be as 'gutsy' with it where other cars are about due to its weak brakes and prioritising safety and stopping distances is pretty devastating. Even taking my mum's 120d coupe that I got her to it's service, and how much faster it felt simply because you could go faster knowing the brakes would back you up.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'll get the strada tarox pads (despite it saying progressive braking, ie no big bite?), simply because no where does it say you need msport brakes initially (like with the ferodo), so it should be a simple brake pad swap at a local independent garage, and with no coding.

Any thoughts? Do I proceed?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:49 AM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlad99 View Post
Thanks for the info. Looking at websites it's directly compatible and most importantly mentions nothing about needing to already have msport brakes. It does highlight progressive braking, the opposite of any bite (the issue I currently have), but if no coding or already having msport brakes being mentioned as a requirement I'm more inclined

The more I google about reviews of the m performance brakes the more terrible they sound, not a significant noticeable difference in braking power, a lot less bite than expected.. (the brake options are more confusing in the americas, and the msport brakes give more bite), mushy brakes, loads of dust, and many people with squealing brakes that bmw say is normal). I'd just hate to spend all that to sort a problem with the 435dx when I've already spent 2k to sort it's subpar suspension, to then find no difference in stopping.

I know I've moaned a lot recently making probably annoying threads, seeking the grateful advice of fellow car owners, as I'm stressed until every niggle is sorted in what was supposed to be my dream / long term car. The feeling of upgrading from a 420d, to a very powerful car (for me) 435dx, yet unable to be as 'gutsy' with it where other cars are about due to its weak brakes and prioritising safety and stopping distances is pretty devastating. Even taking my mum's 120d coupe that I got her to it's service, and how much faster it felt simply because you could go faster knowing the brakes would back you up.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'll get the strada tarox pads (despite it saying progressive braking, ie no big bite?), simply because no where does it say you need msport brakes initially (like with the ferodo), so it should be a simple brake pad swap at a local independent garage, and with no coding.

Any thoughts? Do I proceed?
As I say the Ferodos do fit, it’s just a description error on the site you looked at!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #11
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

My recommendation of the Tarox over the Ferodo is because I find the Tarox are much better and I couldn't get rid of the bastarding brake squeak from the Ferodos which royally did my nut in.

From my experience, the Tarox give a better feel of the pedal and outperform the Ferodo (as a fast road pad - not tried either on track).
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My recommendation of the Tarox over the Ferodo is because I find the Tarox are much better and I couldn't get rid of the bastarding brake squeak from the Ferodos which royally did my nut in.

From my experience, the Tarox give a better feel of the pedal and outperform the Ferodo (as a fast road pad - not tried either on track).
Have you got a link to them in our fitment?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:10 AM   #13
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Here we go, these are what I bought, (I've been using Tarox Strada pads since 2007 now - on fast road only, without any issues whatsoever);

Front pads

Rear pads

Their website always seems to be a little slow though so just need to be patient.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here we go, these are what I bought, (I've been using Tarox Strada pads since 2007 now - on fast road only, without any issues whatsoever);

Front pads

Rear pads

Their website always seems to be a little slow though so just need to be patient.
Good to know thanks.

Do you know what the friction coefficient is? it doesn't seem to say anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #15
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't know off hand, but I did look into it before I bought the Ferodo to compare the 2. The Ferodo were slightly better (if I'm not mistaken) but honestly on the road these are better.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
Willsy33
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Do you know what the friction coefficient is? it doesn't seem to say anywhere.
See below from the Tarox site

Quote:
Strada Brake Pads
The Strada pads are ideal for fast road use and every day driving. They work great from cold and provide immediate response without pre-heating whilst also offering a higher coefficient of friction for improved braking power, improved resistance to high temperatures and a longer service life than O.E materials. They provide an excellent pedal feel and allow full control over braking for the driver.

Capable of withstanding temperatures of up to 600°C, this pad has an optimum temperature range of 150°C to 350°C.

Coefficient of friction:
Cold 0.37
Hot 0.42
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      08-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsy33 View Post
See below from the Tarox site
Cool, so the hot figure is the same as the Ferodos
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #18
seanantenbring
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
By any chance do you have the Ferodo part number to hand for these pads? I am struggling to find the right ones and I want to make sure they fit when I come to replacing my pads

I have a F30 330d with the blue M Sport brakes, hoping your's are the same so the same part number!

Many thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanantenbring View Post
By any chance do you have the Ferodo part number to hand for these pads? I am struggling to find the right ones and I want to make sure they fit when I come to replacing my pads

I have a F30 330d with the blue M Sport brakes, hoping your's are the same so the same part number!

Many thanks in advance
It’s FDS4611, this site seems cheapest, they’ve gone up since I bought mine:

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/bmw-f82-...e-pads-m4.html
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #20
seanantenbring
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
It’s FDS4611, this site seems cheapest, they’ve gone up since I bought mine:

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/bmw-f82-...e-pads-m4.html
Great, thank you! Just to be sure these will still fit the F30? Did you have to purchase shims for these pads?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanantenbring View Post
Great, thank you! Just to be sure these will still fit the F30? Did you have to purchase shims for these pads?

Many thanks!
Yes F30 blue calipers are identical to the M3/4 ones. You do need to fit EBC shims to the back and over one edge of the pads to avoid the clunk when changing from forward to reverse and vice versa.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2018, 05:06 AM   #22
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The only thing for the Tarox pads is they do come with shims but the clunking is still present, no big deal for me really.
Appreciate 0