F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bimmercode - Error while reading coding data
GetBMWParts

01-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Bimmercode - Error while reading coding data

Evening all,

Anyone had issues reading ECU's using the Bimmercode app (iOS) using the VGate BT OBD Adapter?

I've managed to code the DKOMBI but when I try and read HU_NBT_EVO, I get a "Error while reading coding data" message, which is real bummer as it's got most of the options I'd like to code.

On the G series the supported ECU's is very limited compared to the F series. I'm hoping this will change as the developer adds more support into later builds.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
teaston
Pirate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Black Pearl

Did you do the “press start button 3 times in quick succession for diagnostic mode” that they state needs to be done on G series cars?

I didn’t need to on my G01 X3 to code the NBT EVO, but maybe it’s worth a try on yours.
      01-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Did you do the ďpress start button 3 times in quick succession for diagnostic modeĒ that they state needs to be done on G series cars?

I didnít need to on my G01 X3 to code the NBT EVO, but maybe itís worth a try on yours.
You have to do that otherwise the app won't connect at all.

Are you using the VGate BT or WiFi adapter?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
teaston
Pirate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Quote:
Did you do the “press start button 3 times in quick succession for diagnostic mode” that they state needs to be done on G series cars?

I didn’t need to on my G01 X3 to code the NBT EVO, but maybe it’s worth a try on yours.
You have to do that otherwise the app won't connect at all.

Are you using the VGate BT or WiFi adapter?
The wifi one, but the instructions for both state the diag mode is required on G series. Definitely didn't need to on mine though.
kitster349.00

01-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The wifi one, but the instructions for both state the diag mode is required on G series. Definitely didn't need to on mine though.
I got the BT one because the instructions on the bimmercode site said the WiFi one is "The current version of the Vgate iCar Pro Wi-Fi may not function properly, so it is not recommended any longer."

Which one did you get?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-ELM32...vgate+icar+pro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Scann...vgate+icar+pro
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
teaston
Pirate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I got the BT one because the instructions on the bimmercode site said the WiFi one is "The current version of the Vgate iCar Pro Wi-Fi may not function properly, so it is not recommended any longer."

Which one did you get?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-ELM32...vgate+icar+pro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Scann...vgate+icar+pro
The second one
kitster349.00

01-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I got a reply from the developer of Bimmercode. It seems like the USB CarPlay unlock has altered the coding data signature for HU_NBT_EVO, that's why it can't read the ECU correctly.

Trying to reach out to the supplier for a file to back it out......oh man, I should have just paid for CarPlay or reached out to experts the forum. Doh.

I might try the £1 for the 1 Month CarPlay trial, see if that does anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
JUNNEL20
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I am having the same problem as you mentioned. I also purchased a USB CarPlay unlock from Ebay. Now I can not get bimmercode to show me the headunit settings to code. Have you resolved your issue? If so, please tell me how you did it.

Thanks!

Quote:
I got a reply from the developer of Bimmercode. It seems like the USB CarPlay unlock has altered the coding data signature for HU_NBT_EVO, that's why it can't read the ECU correctly.

Trying to reach out to the supplier for a file to back it out......oh man, I should have just paid for CarPlay or reached out to experts the forum. Doh.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNNEL20 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I am having the same problem as you mentioned. I also purchased a USB CarPlay unlock from Ebay. Now I can not get bimmercode to show me the headunit settings to code. Have you resolved your issue? If so, please tell me how you did it.

Thanks!

Quote:

Developer told me to VO code NBT, make the changes via Bimmercode, then reapply Carplay.

I never tried as I just couldn't be bothered!!! Apple refund me for Bimmercode, told them it wasn't working on my car.
Appreciate 0