F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Accident, insurance claim cover? Eire car plate
Studio RSR

11-19-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
rukp
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series GT 320- M sport

Accident, insurance claim cover? Eire car plate

Hi All - hope anyone can help (sorry bit long)

Got rear ended while in traffic, as I took photos the scumbags leapt into their car and drove off! I managed to get a photo of both the driver and plates - Eire car registration. I have the police crime number and sent in all evidence to both the police and my insurance co.

Questions:
1. My insurance covers uninsured driver claims for full excess and reset of NCD - however my insurance co underwriter have said they are still unable to establish if the driver was insured, awaiting Eire police confirmation. They say if the driver is uninsured this excess cover would need to be claimed back from my insurance co not them!? essentially the broker co. Seems odd?

2. Also the underwriter state the excess is an uninsured loss and I would have to cover that regardless of the claim being my fault or not. I've never had this before unfortunately been hit before and always fully recovered costs from the other party (they were at fault).

3. The underwriter say any excess claim would need to be made by me if I had extra legal cover via my insurance co and not them or via my own solicitor and the third party if insured. The policy booklet doesn't state anything like this, merely uninsured excess costs are covered as is NCD resett

4. I've put a claim through the MIB as advised by my broker for physical injury and should the other party be uninsured.

Before I go down the route of "losing it" with my insurer and complaining etc I just wanted to get some views...

Thanks
RukP
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 01:54 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Point 1 : You mention 'broker' and 'underwriter' somewhat interchangeably. What do you ACTUALLY mean.

Point 3. There is a legal principle whereby if you have multiple types of insurance cover then only one of those can be utilised. This sounds like one of those situations.

'Losing it' is not going to do anything. ASK questions (preferably in writing), and get answers the same way.

Hope you're OK
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 03:19 AM   #3
rukp
Private
Rep

Hi Robbie - thks for replying - see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Point 1 : You mention 'broker' and 'underwriter' somewhat interchangeably. What do you ACTUALLY mean.
Apologies I haven't used the actual names in case there are some forum rules around it but as a real example - by broker = Brightside Insurance and their insurance underwriter is ERS.

Point 3. There is a legal principle whereby if you have multiple types of insurance cover then only one of those can be utilised. This sounds like one of those situations.
I dont have multiple insurance just fully comp insurance, I dont have any additional legal cover.

'Losing it' is not going to do anything. ASK questions (preferably in writing), and get answers the same way.
Slightly tongue in cheek, I mean't being calm but going down the route of logging complaints - don't need the extra hassle of being palmed off by both sides..

Hope you're OK
- thks recovering at the moment..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 05:36 AM   #4
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Do you have house insurance? Quite often legal cover is included and you can use that…

Hope you get it sorted and have a speedy recovery
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #5
rukp
Private
Rep

Just to update others - (see policy extract below) the insurance company have stated, that I would be responsible for paying the excess and they do not reclaim this from the third party (even when they are deemed to be at fault).

I just wanted to check if others have had the same experience?
Its totally new to me that I would cover the excess as in the past when hit by drivers (their fault) I've never had to cover the excess as its all been claimed from the third party.

Excesses
Your Schedule will tell you what excesses apply to your policy. You must pay the relevant
excess on any claim and the insurer will look after the rest (within the limits of the policy).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Only had one accident - quite a biggie - involving another 2 cars.
Driver (on a test drive) hit a Corsa van before hitting my E91 335d almost head on.
Aviva paid out the write off value (after negotiations) within 10 days, less my excess.
My excess was returned by Aviva amonth or so later after they deemed it wasn't my fault.
The young driver of the van was less fortunate. He was 3rd party and was many, many months fighting for his money - the van was a write off too.
The missile that hit us was a hill climb prepped Impreza. It was a lovely looking car in the milliseconds before it hit us. Afterwards there was only one wheel vaguely still connected to the car, and the fire brigade cut it in half to free the driver. He was unhurt but the full cage was in such a state that he couldn't get out. Suffice to say, he was motoring.....as I probably would have been normally, but I was in a 40mph traffic queue.
He was insured, thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
rukp
Private
Rep

Bloody hell Alwynmike, thats some lucky escape...brings the excess issue into focus!
Appreciate 0