F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > LCI Led upgrade to Adaptive?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
Wulffez
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D

LCI Led upgrade to Adaptive?

Hey,

I just imported a F31 LCI from Germany to Denmark. (Fun fact: we do it because danish cars are commonly stripped from extras due to the high car tax). I'm getting it on Wednesday replacing my E91 with 300.000 km.

So I could only find one that suited my needs for import with regular led headlights. Will it be possible to upgrade from the regular LEDs to Adaptive just by replacing the housings? Or will it require wiring, new windshield mirror and cameras...?

It's not a need, I've been driving with regular Xeon and I guess the LED regular is still a upgrade from that. But I'm a sucker for the adaptive I had in my 435i 5 years ago 🥰

Best,
Michael
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:06 AM   #2
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I asked the same question but there doesn't seem to be much knowledge for this item.

I looked at the part numbers etc and it looks like the adaptive and non-adaptive LED clusters use the same control units. So in theory, you could get your hands on an adaptive set (which are usually sold without the control units) and swap these over. Then, it's a matter of updating the coding of the vehicle to include adaptive lighting.

Do you have HBA-High Beam Assist? That's needed for the adaptive functionality, but I am not sure if you can get them partially working without it.

My car has the regular LEDs with HBA, and I am thinking of retrofitting the Adaptive ones as well once this COVID situation settles down.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:11 AM   #3
Wulffez
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdino View Post
I asked the same question but there doesn't seem to be much knowledge for this item.

I looked at the part numbers etc and it looks like the adaptive and non-adaptive LED clusters use the same control units. So in theory, you could get your hands on an adaptive set (which are usually sold without the control units) and swap these over. Then, it's a matter of updating the coding of the vehicle to include adaptive lighting.

Do you have HBA-High Beam Assist? That's needed for the adaptive functionality, but I am not sure if you can get them partially working without it.

My car has the regular LEDs with HBA, and I am thinking of retrofitting the Adaptive ones as well once this COVID situation settles down.

Thanks for the reply Seems like we should give it a go at some point then. I also got HBA. There's tons of the adaptive LEDS for sale on eBay. But I'm going to figure out what to do on wednesday when I get the car. I'm quite nervous after reading all those negative feedbacks on the forum here... But its a european model, so I guess the angel of the lights should be OK, and not so terrible like all users in here say...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:27 AM   #4
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Hey Wulffez , did you get anywhere in the end?

Thinking how to proceed with this; not sure what the situation is with BMW now that they allegedly flag coding as well. If I were to retrofit the adaptive LEDs and change the vehicle spec accordingly, would this be flagged by ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #5
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

I did the retrofit myself back in June/July time.

I bought the harness on eBay, there's a dude out in NA (I think?) that makes them with a detailed guide. It's definitely not the faint hearted.. I had to run a new 12v cable from the rear fusebox to the front (a tiny hole through the firewall grommet). I ended up paying the extra $100 for him to code it too as the ecu modules needed flashing. The actual headlight plug needs a new canbus wire running in too, however the eBay dude includes the wire preplugged up with OEM parts and seals, so all you have to do is release the pin and slot the new one in.

My car is a 2015 pre-lci but already had HBA - the only thing I need to sort is beam alignment, the adaptiveness does appear to work but I'm forever being flashed so I have clearly screwed up the alignment. If you've got an LCI with LED housings already (not the xenon ones) then you might be able to straight swap them with coding.

Last edited by fortythirtyfive; 10-06-2020 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
-KingJames-
Private
Rep
Drives: F34 GT

got a 2017 330xi GT LCI with leds.. adaptive leds should be a straight swap + coding?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
grool
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KingJames- View Post
got a 2017 330xi GT LCI with leds.. adaptive leds should be a straight swap + coding?
Hey there, did you ever get this sorted or at least did you find some information whether its just swap+coding?

I'm currently looking to buy a GT but most I find are only with non-adaptive leds. Figured I'd research first before buying.
Appreciate 0