F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 320i M Sport package?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #111
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes View Post
Hey guys, I'm considering leasing a 320i. I read that I can custom order car even if I lease it, that's probably what I'm gonna do. I was wondering if it is possible to custom order a 320i with M Sport and SAT. I know those options are available in Europe for 320i.. In the worst case scenario I'm gonna go for 320i with sport package (or 328i with M sport if I get a good offer )
Yes, you can order a 320i in the USA with any Line or M Sport, including most of the 328i/335i options. Unfortunately you will need to find a CA that knows how to submit the correct order, and that is more difficult than getting the car in the first place.

This is my USA 320i with Leather Dash and HUD (328i/335i options added) and coded for SAT including retrofitted/custom M Sport SW w/paddles:

I did not add M Sport because I wanted yellow calipers, Imperial Blue (not an M Sport color) and did not like the rear bumper/side skirts of the M Sport, only the front bumper:

100% reversible back to stock as this is a lease.

At the end it was cheaper this way than getting M Sport with M Sport brakes (also available) and about $10,000 less total than getting a comparable equipped 328i at the dealer's lot as this was European Delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #112
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Don't you think there's a reason why there's no RWD/AWD, 50/50 balanced, sports sedan offering from non-luxury brands out there? If VW, Honda, Ford, Toyota, and especially, Nissan, could produce one, and sell it for less than Audi, BMW, MB, Lexus, Infiniti--don't you think they would do it? Sure--some of those makes don't want to canibalize sales from their lux sibling brand, but if it could be produced at a cost to undercut lux makes, someone would make one. And I'd buy it too.
Why even try to argue with these guys who don't understand cars, the auto business, or basic engineering.

Achieving a 50/50 balance in a car with the engine up front and FWD is impossible. Any cursory understanding of physics, mechanics, and gravity would lead to this same conclusion. Some lame will have the nerve to say "so, why is 50/50 important? Big deal". At this point, It's like trying to explain the run option blitz to my wife, so I just don't try.

I remember a while back, some guy waiting in the service department who was fussing about whatever, and had the nerve to lean over to me and ask, "Why does BMW put the battery in the trunk? It's so stupid!" I said that I didn't think the battery in the back was the stupid one here, then went back to my iPad.

If you want that Hyundai, then go get it sport! Do they feel that would offend me, or BMW?

Hyundai, Honda, Kia, etc have to give you the farm. That's the only way you'll buy the car. Now I love Honda; only FWD cars I'd buy, but they're in a crowded market, and options and electronic gadgets are extremely cheap, so they throw them in. BMW, Merc, Porsche, Audi (to a point), make you pay for every option you may want. Why, because you'll pay for the pleasure to drive the best. They ain't giving you jack. Got a problem with it, go get that Lexus and continue in your compromising ways.

The Germans are market leaders for a reason; yes the badges carry weight, but how did it get that way? It is that way because the cars were always engineered to perfection. I didn't buy my BMWs for gadgets, or even reliability. Do you think anyone buys an Italian or British car for reliability? No! They're all build like crap. However, when they run, they run! The Germans are much more reliable these days, but they still cost a small fortune to properly maintain.

So what?

I bought my BMW because I'm a driver! This ain't a point A to B thing for me, driving on a twisty, slightly deadly road is the best rush I get that's not sex. I thoroughly enjoy both with a passion. Not great at either, but enjoy trying hard.

Last edited by rolltidef32; 04-21-2015 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #113
JayRusso
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14my 320xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
At the end it was cheaper this way than getting M Sport with M Sport brakes (also available) and about $10,000 less total than getting a comparable equipped 328i at the dealer's lot as this was European Delivery.
Nice... Out of curiosity, do they charge different prices for the options on a 320 than they would on a 328?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #114
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRusso View Post
Nice... Out of curiosity, do they charge different prices for the options on a 320 than they would on a 328?
Same option prices although it may require other options for approval.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #115
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
A manual transmission isn't a draw. Its antiquated trash. Especially when putting it up against the ZF 8 speed, its a liability.

Besides that a 320i is absolutely priced like a luxury car. $35k, no leather, no Nav, no camera, no HIDs, no nothing. For the same money you can get a Camry XSE, with 6 cylinders, a full compliment of cameras and other electronics, Navi, LED headlights, leather seats and more space. Plus, it will put down better numbers than a 320 in virtually every handing or acceleration test, and be way more reliable. Buying a stripped 320 over one is absolutely buying for the badge.
The only problem with a Camry is that its a Camry. BORING!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #116
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Yes, you can order a 320i in the USA with any Line or M Sport, including most of the 328i/335i options. Unfortunately you will need to find a CA that knows how to submit the correct order, and that is more difficult than getting the car in the first place.

This is my USA 320i with Leather Dash and HUD (328i/335i options added) and coded for SAT including retrofitted/custom M Sport SW w/paddles:

I did not add M Sport because I wanted yellow calipers, Imperial Blue (not an M Sport color) and did not like the rear bumper/side skirts of the M Sport, only the front bumper:

what dealer did you use to order?
      04-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #117
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
what dealer did you use to order?
Vista BMW -Lino Menendez. Nobody else.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #118
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Quote:

Wow what wheels are those? They're beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #119
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F**Enthusiast View Post
Wow what wheels are those? They're beautiful.
Niche Essen in 20".
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #120
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:

Very nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #121
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebord99 View Post
Depending on your driving style I would argue its worth alot more.

Consider the following items that are included in a typical 3 year ownership w/aggressive driving style:

- All 4 Brakes, BMW Service = $1,500
- Oil Change 3x $150 = $450
- Wiper Blades 3x $60 = $180
- Engine Air Filter 3x $70 = $210
- Cabin Air Filter 3x $70 = $210
- O2 Sensors (maybe) = $350
- Belt Replacement (maybe) = $250
===========================
USD Value is around ===> $3,150

Piece of mind that you only need tires for 3 years.. $$ PRICELESS $$

p.s. I know that most of you wouldn't consider spending $70 for an air filter or $150 for an oil change, yet this is what BMW feels is fair pricing in my area.
If you want to make stuff up to help justify it I guess that's your right. In reality, you'll NEVER get that much without burning through more miles than are covered. Most of those items are mileage based, not time based within the protocol. I don't care how "aggressive" your driving style.

And oxygen sensors are not a maintenance item by the way. And the belt will probably hit 60k++ before it needs to be replaced. But we're not really discussing this in the rational realm so I guess it doesn't really matter...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #122
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Your numbers are a little off, but regardless...a "Jalopnik edition" 320i is as barebones as it gets compared to an Accord. You can not buy an Accord (or Civic, for that matter) without Bluetooth audio and a reverse camera. Additionally, the Accord I got her has more HP, leather, heated seats, lane-departure, an alarm (LOL...not even standard on higher BMWs), navigation, etc. Never cared to drive a 320i, but I would imagine a well appointed Accord is also significantly quieter and more comfortable, too.

I wasn't going to give her in a stripped down, bottom-of-the-line BMW just because it's a BMW. It's a better car in nearly every way. Ok, so it won't "feel" as good to drive for an enthusiast compared to a 320i. Big deal...it's still not saying much.
You can't buy a BMW without Bluetooth audio anymore either, as of 2015 model year. My 2014 320i didn't have it, but coding it was cheap/easy. It is ridiculous that BMW doesn't make the backup camera standard, but U.S. law is forcing their hand on that (mandated by 2017 I think). No one in the last decade has heard a car alarm go off and thought "OMG, a car is being stolen", so I hope I never have a car with that feature again.

A $35k 320i has the same seats and cabin sound insulation as a $50k 335i. I won't disagree that the Accord is "quieter and more comfortable" than any F3x though; those are primary metrics for family sedan buyers, but tertiary metrics for sport sedan buyers.

I'm not arguing that you should have gotten a 320i for your employee instead of an Accord; I'm saying that the 320i Sport was the correct choice for my priorities (sporty sedan with an MT for ~$300/month lease). I probably would have gotten an Accord myself if the Sport trim offered HIDs, or if Honda offered a turbo 4 engine. Honda's manual transmission is the best ever made. But Honda's leases are less attractive than BMW's, and I had just spent a decade in a Honda (TSX 6MT), so I wanted to change things up.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #123
sixteenpushrods
Rep
Drives: '14 320i

I had the option to buy anything that fit under 35K MSRP with four doors as my company car. I drove everything with the objectivity of someone driving a customer's car from a repair shop. (That was my previous job).
People ask me regularly what car to buy and I usually tell them to get a Ford, Honda or Toyota. Those three makes I spent the most time on researching and test driving. Right before springing for the fully loaded Fusion I went to BMW and sat in the 3 series. My only experience with BMW was their douchy X3 and X5 drivers that came into my shop and bitched about run-flat tires and expensive brakes and rotors.
The test drive was only about due diligence for me. But when I pushed it on the freeway ramp and felt rear tires pushing me forward and even more importantly the absence of torque steer, I asked the salesguy if they were really rear wheel drive. Just being honest here.
I don't know how BMW makes a car with this quality of build and maintaining RWD platform. Hell even Mercedes had to switch to the cheaper FWD alternative for the CLA class platform.
Since nobody in my life asking for my opinion in cars gives a crap about handling and build quality, Japanese cars are just the ticket. Spartan, utilitarian and long-lasting if maintained. But for the shrinking demo of people who would rather have bamboo chutes under our fingernails than drive a purportedly sporty sedan with a CVT in it (yeah, I'm talking to you, Maxima) there's BMW. Let's just hope they can sell enough to the badge-seeking crowd so they can keep building them for us.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #124
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Technic, please expound on this. Just to be clear, you're saying order any line, Luxury, Sport, or M Sport on a 320i. Are the line prices the same? Luxury line requires ordering the premium package. Same? This is information your CA explored and confirmed? What restrictions are you aware of? Curious that you couldn't order the SAT with its corresponding console shifter and steering wheel paddles rather than coding and adding the paddles after the fact.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

04-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #125
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Technic, please expound on this. Just to be clear, you're saying order any line, Luxury, Sport, or M Sport on a 320i. Are the line prices the same? Luxury line requires ordering the premium package. Same? This is information your CA explored and confirmed? What restrictions are you aware of? Curious that you couldn't order the SAT with its corresponding console shifter and steering wheel paddles rather than coding and adding the paddles after the fact.
All Lines and M Sport are available in the 320i; Luxury Line price will be higher as Leather is not included in the 320i Premium Package -I initially wanted a Saddle Brown Luxury Line with Sports Seats, Anthracite Headliner, M Sports steering wheel and 704 suspension but that was really outside my budget as all those options (all possible to be added to the Luxury Line) would be priced a la carte.

SAT requires a Sports Line or M Sport (as in the 335i and 328i), thus I could not ordered it in my 320i. No big deal as getting a new one with paddles at eBay, customizing it and selling the OEM ended up cheaper than the OEM paddles option price.

I worked directly with BMWNA and the CA so all ordering possibilities were explored based on my budget. Individual was available as well -my sister wanted Bicolor Dakota Coral Red and Black for her 335i, until she got the approval price of $7000. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #126
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Vista BMW -Lino Menendez. Nobody else.
What's even more impressive is that they took the time to do this for you with an ED sale. The savings that you realize with ED is actually all of the incentive that the dealer would normally receive from a standard retail sale. Very impressive.

I love the combo by the way. I too wanted Imperial over saddle, but I wanted the whole M sport package (and a bunch of other stuff) for my 335 so I conceded. The next go around will probably be an Individual order for me. Really, really nice combo though!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #127
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
All Lines and M Sport are available in the 320i; Luxury Line price will be higher as Leather is not included in the 320i Premium Package -I initially wanted a Saddle Brown Luxury Line with Sports Seats, Anthracite Headliner, M Sports steering wheel and 704 suspension but that was really outside my budget as all those options (all possible to be added to the Luxury Line) would be priced a la carte.
Those are the exact options I would choose on a Luxury line. I really miss the Imola Red/Natural Brown from my ZHP, so I would give serious consideration to ordering a 335i Luxury line in Melbourne Red with Saddle sport seats, sport suspension, anthracite headliner, and M Sport steering wheel.

I know you've ordered some high-end 3ers, but how did you end up developing such an accommodating relationship with Individual, BMWNA, BMWAG, and your CA and dealership?

04-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #128
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

It really helps that the 3-Series for ED is not from the dealer allocation and that Lino sells 200+ cars a year. This was a really easy sale after I got all the approvals from BMWNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
What's even more impressive is that they took the time to do this for you with an ED sale. The savings that you realize with ED is actually all of the incentive that the dealer would normally receive from a standard retail sale. Very impressive.

I love the combo by the way. I too wanted Imperial over saddle, but I wanted the whole M sport package (and a bunch of other stuff) for my 335 so I conceded. The next go around will probably be an Individual order for me. Really, really nice combo though!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #129
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Those are the exact options I would choose on a Luxury line. I really miss the Imola Red/Natural Brown from my ZHP, so I would give serious consideration to ordering a 335i Luxury line in Melbourne Red with Saddle sport seats, sport suspension, anthracite headliner, and M Sport steering wheel.

I know you've ordered some high-end 3ers, but how did you end up developing such an accommodating relationship with Individual, BMWNA, BMWAG, and your CA and dealership?
Ordering Individual helps a lot in meeting the right people. I have been ordering Individual since 2005 so it brings the opportunity of meeting the right people at BMWNA and at BMWAG. And the thing is, most of the time the same group of people will remember me and respond even after several years have passed.

But also it helps to invest a little effort in understanding how production, scheduling and ordering works at BMW. So when I contact BMWNA production manager with my custom order we talk in factory-speak, with specific details and ordering codes of what I want after research, so no time and effort is wasted at both sides. They know that this is a legit order and it will be produced, not a fishing trip.

The last person to know all these ordering details is always the CA. By the time I get to the dealer I have all the ordering details of the car and the factory custom order paperwork pre-made.

If ordering Individual is not possible then the opportunity to meet production people could be as simple as asking to be part of any email trail between the dealer and BMWNA. Then get into the trail by introducing yourself to BMWNA. The people at BMWNA are the real deal, extremely accommodating and simply nice people. Just be nice to them in return and you will have years of great service and attention.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #130
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ordering Individual helps a lot in meeting the right people. I have been ordering Individual since 2005 so it brings the opportunity of meeting the right people at BMWNA and at BMWAG. And the thing is, most of the time the same group of people will remember me and respond even after several years have passed.

But also it helps to invest a little effort in understanding how production, scheduling and ordering works at BMW. So when I contact BMWNA production manager with my custom order we talk in factory-speak, with specific details and ordering codes of what I want after research, so no time and effort is wasted at both sides. They know that this is a legit order and it will be produced, not a fishing trip.

The last person to know all these ordering details is always the CA. By the time I get to the dealer I have all the ordering details of the car and the factory custom order paperwork pre-made.

If ordering Individual is not possible then the opportunity to meet production people could be as simple as asking to be part of any email trail between the dealer and BMWNA. Then get into the trail by introducing yourself to BMWNA. The people at BMWNA are the real deal, extremely accommodating and simply nice people. Just be nice to them in return and you will have years of great service and attention.
Great information! Thanks!!

04-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #131
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's simply amazing how few people actually understand this fact.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #132
tomes
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Ford Fusion EcoBoost

Quote:

Technic, this car is gorgeous

Thank you for all the answers. I rethought everything and most likely I'm gonna buy my cousin's E46. I like the way it drives and feels more than 320i. The car is in very good condition (but I know it will require some work). I think it's the best and the cheapest way to start an adventure with BMW.
Appreciate 0