F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 Fun Car
Studio RSR

10-05-2021, 04:20 AM   #1
Brxzil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 330i xDrive

Smile F30 Fun Car

Hello Bimmerworld,

I’m new to this forum. I currently own a 2018 BMW 330i xDrive and recently got to finally start doing some mods. I would like some advice and pointers from you guys about where to go with this process.

Current mods:

18 inch Konig wheels black matte
BMS intake
FTP BMW B48 B46 2.0T CHARGE PIPE V2
H&R Sport Springs “just until I purchase coilovers with etc delete”
BMW F30 & F80 GTS Style OLED Sequential Tail Lights SET (V2)
VRSF B48 Downpipe Upgrade

I was wondering which tune to go with:
DME Tune
JB4
BM3
MHD

My friends who own M3/M4, 335/440i they all say it’s more of preference. They all have different views and opinions and it’s all at the end of the day what you like and what you are doing with the car. I’m daily driving it until I buy the M4. And plan on keeping it just for fun. So any feedback would be great.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxzil View Post
Hello Bimmerworld,

I’m new to this forum. I currently own a 2018 BMW 330i xDrive and recently got to finally start doing some mods. I would like some advice and pointers from you guys about where to go with this process.

Current mods:

18 inch Konig wheels black matte
BMS intake
FTP BMW B48 B46 2.0T CHARGE PIPE V2
H&R Sport Springs “just until I purchase coilovers with etc delete”
BMW F30 & F80 GTS Style OLED Sequential Tail Lights SET (V2)
VRSF B48 Downpipe Upgrade

I was wondering which tune to go with:
DME Tune
JB4
BM3
MHD

My friends who own M3/M4, 335/440i they all say it’s more of preference. They all have different views and opinions and it’s all at the end of the day what you like and what you are doing with the car. I’m daily driving it until I buy the M4. And plan on keeping it just for fun. So any feedback would be great.
Two ways to go at this if you still want your warrenty i reccomened Jb4 its the lowest risk as you can just take it out and it dosent rewrite your DME, I ran jb4 on my 328i LCI and i didnt like it because the power didnt feel relaible as it only kicks in after 50% and feels unraw if that makes any sense, then i switched over to bm3 about 2 weeks ago and i like it way more its so much more cutomizable and another big reasonw as bm3 can completley clear the CEL. Also for daily driving i would say go with bm3 and it completley rewirtes you ecu's values as oppose to jb4 tricking the sensors to make more boost! let me know if u have any questions
Appreciate 1
Brxzil2.50
      10-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
Brxzil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drapzzy View Post
Two ways to go at this if you still want your warrenty i reccomened Jb4 its the lowest risk as you can just take it out and it dosent rewrite your DME, I ran jb4 on my 328i LCI and i didnt like it because the power didnt feel relaible as it only kicks in after 50% and feels unraw if that makes any sense, then i switched over to bm3 about 2 weeks ago and i like it way more its so much more cutomizable and another big reasonw as bm3 can completley clear the CEL. Also for daily driving i would say go with bm3 and it completley rewirtes you ecu's values as oppose to jb4 tricking the sensors to make more boost! let me know if u have any questions
Yes man I was going towards bm3 anyways because I got the car at 33k miles and I’m at 55k and out of warranty and my friends said basically at this point might as well just flash it. I was told though as long as I keep up the maintenance “common sense” and don’t try to put more power than my car can take my engine won’t blow lol. But I did have a question, I order oem sparks because I know it’s time soon to change them. Will I be okay with oem sparks with all the mods ?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes man I was going towards bm3 anyways because I got the car at 33k miles and I’m at 55k and out of warranty and my friends said basically at this point might as well just flash it. I was told though as long as I keep up the maintenance “common sense” and don’t try to put more power than my car can take my engine won’t blow lol. But I did have a question, I order oem sparks because I know it’s time soon to change them. Will I be okay with oem sparks with all the mods ?
you can use OEM plugs im currently rocking them rn if u plan on staying stage 1 then its perfectly fine if u are thinking of going stage 2 then I would look and a set of ngk plugs and look at what gap they need to be on.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
Brxzil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you can use OEM plugs im currently rocking them rn if u plan on staying stage 1 then its perfectly fine if u are thinking of going stage 2 then I would look and a set of ngk plugs and look at what gap they need to be on.
Gotcha and yeah man I went ahead order the AWE exhaust and I figure why not so technically that’s stage 2 right?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:04 AM   #6
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Gotcha and yeah man I went ahead order the AWE exhaust and I figure why not so technically that’s stage 2 right?
make sure you get an after market intercooler cause those temps will def go up with stage 2
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:47 AM   #7
Brxzil
United_States
Rep

Oh okay gotcha if not it will be bad day im assuming ??????
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #8
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh okay gotcha if not it will be bad day im assuming ??????
not really you just wont get the constant power that bm3 delivers, after 1 pull your IAC temps will go higher and it wont be as fast the next time you step on it with the stock intercooler
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Stage 2 requires a downpipe. With the b48 you don't have an intercooler option, but there is the option to upgrade your heat exchanger which is recommended if you want to be "true stage 2." This also includes charge pipe, turbo inlet pipe, meth injection.

To upgrade the intercooler you'd need to upgrade the intake manifold as the Intake manifold and intercooler are integrated as one. Thus the recommendation for meth injection is here to reduce intake temps as much as possible.
Brxzil2.50
      10-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #10
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
Stage 2 requires a downpipe. With the b48 you don't have an intercooler option, but there is the option to upgrade your heat exchanger which is recommended if you want to be "true stage 2." This also includes charge pipe, turbo inlet pipe, meth injection.

To upgrade the intercooler you'd need to upgrade the intake manifold as the Intake manifold and intercooler are integrated as one. Thus the recommendation for meth injection is here to reduce intake temps as much as possible.
what he said haha and he already has a downpipe
Appreciate 1
Brxzil2.50
      10-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #11
Brxzil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what he said haha and he already has a downpipe
Lol thanks man it’s good to know that y’all have knowledge lol because I would have just been like confused slightly on what I need exact lol. I’m getting the downpipe and exhaust installed Friday when it gets here. So after that I need to focus on tune and then everything you guys talked about
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #12
Brxzil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post

I got you man appreciate it the advice just more stuff to add and know lol
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
Amazinjoey
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320Dx 2013

I would go bigger downpipe if you plan to go over 300hp.
My recommendation for anything over 300hp is 3.5 inch.

Intercooler upgrade is also recommended because stock intercooler will heatsoak and you will lose power in the summer, not needed isnt the same as not recommended.

TBH downpipe and bigger intercooler is the two biggest upgrade you will feel when tuning a car(besides stage 1 tune)
Appreciate 1
Brxzil2.50
      10-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #14
Brxzil
United_States
Rep

I get it, so with my dp and exhaust. Will I be fine for a little while if I don’t plan on doing anything crazy like racing like I said it’s just my DD I work a lot and I just wanted to have a lil something to the car lol. Again just with dp & exhaust and bms intake I should be okay until getting the tune and the other stuff you guys said ? My question is will my car be okay with the other mods until I order those extra things ?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #15
Amazinjoey
Private
Rep

Quote:
I get it, so with my dp and exhaust. Will I be fine for a little while if I don’t plan on doing anything crazy like racing like I said it’s just my DD I work a lot and I just wanted to have a lil something to the car lol. Again just with dp & exhaust and bms intake I should be okay until getting the tune and the other stuff you guys said ? My question is will my car be okay with the other mods until I order those extra things ?
To be honest, get these stuff and then do the tunes! Especially when going BM3, it tends to run lean and that create engine heat. Bigger downpipe get's the heat down and same with intercooler keeping the charge air cool. So I would rather do it right than cheap out, especially on an expensive car like this.

This ain't no honda civic
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #16
Brxzil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazinjoey View Post
To be honest, get these stuff and then do the tunes! Especially when going BM3, it tends to run lean and that create engine heat. Bigger downpipe get's the heat down and same with intercooler keeping the charge air cool. So I would rather do it right than cheap out, especially on an expensive car like this.

This ain't no honda civic
Yeah I got you man, I’m on kies Motorsport now I seee the heat exchanger, I’m slightly confused the other guy said I don’t need to upgrade intercooler on B48. It’s just heat exchanger. So if that’s all what I need to do then I’m good right after I get them, what you said correct just want to make sure I clarify with everyone so I’m not doing the wrong things
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 12:22 AM   #17
Amazinjoey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I got you man, I’m on kies Motorsport now I seee the heat exchanger, I’m slightly confused the other guy said I don’t need to upgrade intercooler on B48. It’s just heat exchanger. So if that’s all what I need to do then I’m good right after I get them, what you said correct just want to make sure I clarify with everyone so I’m not doing the wrong things
Lack of understanding

Intercooler is always needed, think of it this way. Cooler air => engine runs cooler => turbo is able to keep it's boost => Engine maintaince it power.

Running stock intercooler means that the air will get hot and your ECU will lower ignition, which lower the power output.

In most boosted cars from factory , the stock intercooler isn't even enough to maintain boost for stock in the summer
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 12:26 AM   #18
Brxzil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazinjoey View Post
Lack of understanding

Intercooler is always needed, think of it this way. Cooler air => engine runs cooler => turbo is able to keep it's boost => Engine maintaince it power.

Running stock intercooler means that the air will get hot and your ECU will lower ignition, which lower the power output.

In most boosted cars from factory , the stock intercooler isn't even enough to maintain boost for stock in the summer
Lol yes sorry man I’m just new to certain things, I understand now lol. Any suggestions on a good brand to get ?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 12:32 AM   #19
Amazinjoey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Lol yes sorry man I’m just new to certain things, I understand now lol. Any suggestions on a good brand to get ?
Well I'm from sweden, so I usaully run DO88 because it's designed and developed here But Mishimoto are know to be good and popular in the US

You can proably find cheap ones on aliexpress also but I can't promise you they are good

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=mishimoto
Appreciate 1
Brxzil2.50
      10-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Bootmod3 since you have an upgraded downpipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1