F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > 2022 M3 Touring
proTUNING Freaks

10-21-2021, 05:16 PM   #23
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post

Warren buffet must be on the breadline….. he's been riding round in an old truck for years.
Well rich people dont waste money on cars....

Decent area of town - lots of nice expensive cars.

Proper expensive area - 10 year old Mercs, Volvos and rangies...

Guess when you are really rich you dont care about what you drive. Even an Up will do...
Appreciate 4
Scoobyd1954.50
rich100874.50
kzg19691299.00
      10-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #24
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

Warren buffet must be on the breadline….. he's been riding round in an old truck for years.

Guess when you are really rich you dont care about what you drive. Even an Up will do...
decent area lower mortgages younger folk more disposable income nicer cars.
proper expensive area higher mortgages for younger folk =older cars plus probably more older folk live there who've passed the phase of living in a decent area when young and are done with flash cars!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:55 AM   #25
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Fully agree. Whilst it is possible to do both, frequently buying new cars every two or three years likely does dampen down the ability to grow wealth.

I recognise Everyone's circumstances and views are different though so I'm certainly not knocking anyone that does like to change regularly.

I haven't changed my car for a while now which has enabled me to plough more money into investments over the years. I like investing but to many that's probably either seen as dull as shit or too complicated or a combination of two.

I accept there is a balance to be struck though no pockets in shrouds etc and I would quite like a change now.

The current market seems to have gone loopy so will probably wait until it settles down a bit. Just mooching about on the AUC site makes me think that dealers have completely lost touch with reality.

However if that's the market and the demand is there I suppose they can do what they like.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:04 AM   #26
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
How we see things so differently. I don't see Audi at all.
I know and appreciate that Pete but the rear 1/4 of the new 4 with the small vertical in the window & the wider flare rear arch, to me, just looks like they borrowed it from the A5 & updated it.

But hey choice is good and every manufacturer these days just copies another and in one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:29 AM   #27
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

This is certainly true in my experience. The wealthiest folk I know drive rust buckets.
Maybe we're all guilty of being a bit nouveau riche on here, changing our cars every three years!?
      10-22-2021, 03:35 AM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
This is certainly true in my experience. The wealthiest folk I know drive rust buckets.
Maybe we're all guilty of being a bit nouveau riche on here, changing our cars every three years!?
Similar here. My father used to work for one of the wealthiest men around us, (millionaire) back in the 60's. Drove a car his workers would be ashamed to use.

Also reminds me of a successful German guy, a distributor for our company. He couldn't understand our UK obsession with changing cars every 3-years. He had a decent Merc, but it had to do 250,000kms before replacement. Even then the old Merc would be passed on to a family member, as there was still life in it.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 05:19 AM   #29
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Similar here. My father used to work for one of the wealthiest men around us, (millionaire) back in the 60's. Drove a car his workers would be ashamed to use.

Also reminds me of a successful German guy, a distributor for our company. He couldn't understand our UK obsession with changing cars every 3-years. He had a decent Merc, but it had to do 250,000kms before replacement. Even then the old Merc would be passed on to a family member, as there was still life in it.
There's something deeply satisfying about running and maintaining an older car. It's years now since I've done it, having been spoilt by decades of company car ownership, which turned me into a serial car changer when I started buying/leasing my own. I keep telling myself that I've kicked the habit, and I think it might be true as there's nothing the top 3 German marques are currently offering that I actually fancy - which is very good for the wallet.
      10-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #30
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

As someone who's had mine for 15 years and counting now it's refreshing to read some of these comments!

Naturally I've been tempted into something new on many occasions, newer tech, faster, more economical etc but I still love my car. The way it looks, the way it drives. And if anything, with car designs becoming more and more meh these days, its appeal only grows.

I could afford to jump into something new but the £400-600 a month it would cost me feels better served going into property, pension, investments for now. But that'll be the financial adviser in me!

I'm at the stage where I can't see me ever selling it to be honest. Even when the day comes that I do jump in something new I'll hang onto it as a weekend summer car and potential future classic!
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18756.00
rich100874.50
      10-22-2021, 06:58 AM   #31
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Reminds me of the old phrase "Money talks. Wealth whispers."
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 4
isleaiw18756.00
rich100874.50
cramsnik388.50
      10-22-2021, 07:11 AM   #32
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Reminds me of the old phrase "Money talks. Wealth whispers."
So true.

If the wealthy 'petrolhead' wants to own a decent car, will often buy a classic or two, something going up in value.

My neighbour visited one of his clients a few days ago, to get some details from his Aston Martin... now worth almost a million. These guys know how to use money!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #33
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ive tried to find reasonably flattering photos of both cars. I wouldnt want either in my life right now, tbh, but the E46 M3 is a better design by far, to my ancient eyes.
Attached Images

10-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #34
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

A decade too late probably.

Also they're dynamic shots at 10 10ths so you can't really judge wheel gaps back v front. (I cannot comment on fat lasses from Stoke being present).
      10-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #35
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is covered in a lot of detail in the book the millionaire next door. I suspect most of you may have heard of it or read it.

The author profiled numerous millionaires and the evidence around car ownership was that the majority ran older cars or rarely changed them. When they did so they typically bought used.

Conversely those that looked wealthy and drove expensive cars typically weren't wealthy.

I think the chapter was called "don't drive yourself to the poorhouse" There was another phrase I liked in the book though which was "Big hat but no Cattle"

The buying of used cars at the moment is a bit of a paradox to say the least . I saw a very nice m340i on the auc site but it was over 60k and another one with 24k on the clock but was 48k

Sorry maybe I'm missing something here and perhaps there's people queuing out the door for them . I suspect not though and I'm afraid they can do one at that money.

As Duncan Bannantyne might say:

I don't get it , I dinnae like it and I'm ooot
Appreciate 2
Scoobyd1954.50
      10-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #36
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is covered in a lot of detail in the book the millionaire next door. I suspect most of you may have heard of it or read it.

The author profiled numerous millionaires and the evidence around car ownership was that the majority ran older cars or rarely changed them. When they did so they typically bought used.

Conversely those that looked wealthy and drove expensive cars typically weren't wealthy.

I think the chapter was called "don't drive yourself to the poorhouse" There was another phrase I liked in the book though which was "Big hat but no Cattle"

The buying of used cars at the moment is a bit of a paradox to say the least . I saw a very nice m340i on the auc site but it was over 60k and another one with 24k on the clock but was 48k

Sorry maybe I'm missing something here and perhaps there's people queuing out the door for them . I suspect not though and I'm afraid they can do one at that money.

Probably very similar in principle to Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

I definitely fall into the camp where (right now) I've got a decent level of income that can service a mortgage and car payment, but probably not in terms of maximising my overall wealth and I don't consider myself wealthy in the traditional sense of having a large asset pool and liquid funds. My Dad on the other hand (now he's a pensioner) has flipped to getting off the PCP bandwagon now that "the taps are off and the plug has been pulled out of the bath" which I completely understand.

Still, I'm firmly of the view of who wants to be the richest c*nt in the cemetery. I like a nice car and there's plenty of other vices I could spend/waste my money on and don't…
rich100874.50
      10-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #37
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Probably very similar in principle to Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

I definitely fall into the camp where (right now) I've got a decent level of income that can service a mortgage and car payment, but probably not in terms of maximising my overall wealth and I don't consider myself wealthy in the traditional sense of having a large asset pool and liquid funds. My Dad on the other hand (now he's a pensioner) has flipped to getting off the PCP bandwagon now that "the taps are off and the plug has been pulled out of the bath" which I completely understand.

Still, I'm firmly of the view of who wants to be the richest c*nt in the cemetery. I like a nice car and there's plenty of other vices I could spend/waste my money on and don't…
And I think that's an equally fair argument

there needs to be some balance otherwise what's the bleedin point ?
Appreciate 1
KCH1984948.50