F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Bjorn drives the i4 M50
proTUNING Freaks

10-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #23
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Even tesla states the model 3 at 1844kg? 340i is around 1670kg according to interweb?

Not disputing the drive though as never driven a model 3!
That'll be a dual-motor one. The SR+ is 1650kg. My F31 340i was >1800kg.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #24
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Even tesla states the model 3 at 1844kg? 340i is around 1670kg according to interweb?

Not disputing the drive though as never driven a model 3!
That'll be a dual-motor one. The SR+ is 1650kg. My F31 340i was >1800kg.
Fair dos. Well anyway EVs are generally porky regardless of all your real life examples...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:27 AM   #25
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:34 AM   #26
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

I definitely want to like the i4 50M, but 2.2 tonnes, massive bonnet with no frunk etc, and this talk of throttle pedal delay would all be major hurdles. Hopefully BMW will be well on their way with a new EV platform that will be competitive.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      01-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #27
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
I definitely want to like the i4 50M, but 2.2 tonnes, massive bonnet with no frunk etc, and this talk of throttle pedal delay would all be major hurdles. Hopefully BMW will be well on their way with a new EV platform that will be competitive.
Agreed.

My F31 330d weighs a little under 1800kg. It's not a light car by any means.

Tesla Model 3 LR weighs (official) 1847kg of which, obviously, a significant proportion is batteries. I think that's a very good figure, all things considered (current battery tech).

i4, Polestar 2, and others in this segment, are all 300-400kg heavier than the Tesla M3 which can only harm their efficiency, handling, environmental drain, etc.

Some manufacturers simply haven't made enough of a shift yet to offset the weight penalty of electrification whether that's BEV or PHEV.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Grant_72020.50
      01-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #28
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

It could be an amazing car but BMW are pushing the Ionity network. Here's a large chunk of the U.K. network. There is no more when you zoom in, that really is about 12 places to charge.

Yes you are free to use BP pulse etc but have you seen the nightmare YT videos and such?

Possibly a good option I you only ever charge at home, however I have recently learned the avawrage trip of a U.K. Bimmerposter is >250 miles and about 4hrs.

Sooooo :
Attached Images

01-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #29
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Any of our EV owning friends comment on the rear leg on these? I've seen a number of reviews across multiple EV's commenting on how the leg room is reduced because of batteries under the floor, and figure it could be quite uncomfortable after a period of time if you are long legged (not an issue for me, but my daughters getting that way very quickly)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:13 AM   #30
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
It could be an amazing car but BMW are pushing the Ionity network. Here's a large chunk of the U.K. network. There is no more when you zoom in, that really is about 12 places to charge.

Yes you are free to use BP pulse etc but have you seen the nightmare YT videos and such?

Possibly a good option I you only ever charge at home, however I have recently learned the avawrage trip of a U.K. Bimmerposter is >250 miles and about 4hrs.

Sooooo :
That's pretty grim
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #31
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
I have recently learned the avawrage trip of a U.K. Bimmerposter is >250 miles and about 4hrs.
I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 11:46 AM   #32
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
however I have recently learned the avawrage trip of a U.K. Bimmerposter is >250 miles and about 4hrs.

Sooooo :
Nobody said that Chris. I think the context was as a main car when you would regularly do longer motorway journeys, there are some compromises, and hence you might need to change how you plan those trips.
There's no right or wrong about this, people have different situations, circumstances and opinions.

I am in process of setting up a Salary Sacrifice Electric company car scheme for my company, and I certainly love the idea of getting a full electric car myself, but it would be a second car in the household.

Heart wants the i4 M50 to be great, but head says the Model Y will be a better for me.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #33
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quote:
however I have recently learned the avawrage trip of a U.K. Bimmerposter is >250 miles and about 4hrs.

Sooooo :
Nobody said that Chris. I think the context was as a main car when you would regularly do longer motorway journeys, there are some compromises, and hence you might need to change how you plan those trips.
There's no right or wrong about this, people have different situations, circumstances and opinions.

I am in process of setting up a Salary Sacrifice Electric company car scheme for my company, and I certainly love the idea of getting a full electric car myself, but it would be a second car in the household.

Heart wants the i4 M50 to be great, but head says the Model Y will be a better for me.
Haha that's one interpretation.

It was pretty clear that stopping for 5 minutes from Manchester to Guildford was not good?

Worse still of course was the notion that you had to stop at all : I mean 220 miles or so.

I really would prefer to have ordered something BMW but the car is 'almost' irrelevant at this stage of EV evolution it's all about the charging access and the general public non Tesla set up is not something I wish to expose myself or the family to.

EDIT 5 mins later. Genuinely about the 2nd post I saw on a FB group… this is the worry … the general charging infrastructure is pants. For my needs home + super chargers will do nicely and at £9 for 300 miles range I'll accept many flaws in the car.
Attached Images

01-18-2022, 01:22 PM   #34
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:

It was pretty clear that stopping for 5 minutes from Manchester to Guildford was not good?

Worse still of course was the notion that you had to stop at all : I mean 220 miles or so.

I really would prefer to have ordered something BMW but the car is 'almost' irrelevant at this stage of EV evolution it's all about the charging access and the general public non Tesla set up is not something I wish to expose myself or the family to.

EDIT 5 mins later. Genuinely about the 2nd post I saw on a FB group… this is the worry … the general charging infrastructure is pants. For my needs home + super chargers will do nicely and at £9 for 300 miles range I'll accept many flaws in the car.
I don't disagree with much of what you say, but your view that it's about the supercharger network more than the car is surely still borne of the same fundamental issue that for longer trips the EV still has some compromises?

You believe that it works for you and it clearly does for many folk, and I suspect it will for me too. But I can understand why it doesn't for others.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 2
JNW13122.00
JustChris17483.00
      01-18-2022, 01:27 PM   #35
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
EDIT 5 mins later. Genuinely about the 2nd post I saw on a FB group… this is the worry … the general charging infrastructure is pants.
Why any Tesla owner would waste time effort with non Superchargers is beyond me.

Now that they have added way points to the nav system planning pan European road trips is pretty easy. Cannot wait for summer holidays when we'll be hitting the Fjords of Norway in the EV .

Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      01-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #36
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I certainly wasn't suggesting that stopping for 5 minutes was a bad thing, I was genuinely curious as why, if the car has a range of 350, it was giving a stop at all.

I agree about Tesla being the best EV option at the moment. I really don't like the looks or interior, but I was going EV at this point, it would almost certainly be M3 LR. Which doesn't really say much for everything else either.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      01-18-2022, 01:41 PM   #37
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:

In fairness, if they'd actually had a look on something like Zap Map they'd have found a decent charger. Just off the M27 there are 3 or 4 Instavolt chargers they could have used, instead they drove on to Rownhams with fewer less reliable chargers. And why would you turn up at a yet to be commissioned charger and complain, that's like moaning a petrol station you happen across hasn't finished being built yet...
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      01-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #38
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Any of our EV owning friends comment on the rear leg on these? I've seen a number of reviews across multiple EV's commenting on how the leg room is reduced because of batteries under the floor, and figure it could be quite uncomfortable after a period of time if you are long legged (not an issue for me, but my daughters getting that way very quickly)
The skateboard floor design is flawed in that respect, and if the seats are elevated the form factor of the entire vehicle becomes taller of course.

The Polestar 2 places the batteries in a T arrangement, partially in the central tunnel (equivalent to the transmission tunnel in a RWD/AWD car) and partially under the rear seats. This creates a more normal relationship between the seat squab and the footwell.

I like the Polestar 2 but the range is nowhere near competitive with the Tesla M3 LR, for example.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:51 AM   #39
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:03 AM   #40
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Hmm the M50 doesn't come out too well in the that last video and even as an adopted Tesla fan boy I think he comes across a bit picky.

You could sum it all all with your own car knowledge though, the world holds few surprises once you researcg:-

BMW =
Fit & Finish
Aujtobhan cruiser
iDrive always been the industry standard

Tesla =
Range & Charging
Tech
Value