F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Quebec - car buying quick help (en francais, s'il vous plait)
ARMA SPEED

08-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #1
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quebec - car buying quick help (en francais, s'il vous plait)

Any Quebecois (or other French-speakers) willing to help an English speaker with a potential car purchase? There is a 2017 F31 I'm interested in, and I tried to call the dealer, Hyundai Drummondville, but they are not very helpful. There are probably too many obstacles to overcome with this potential purchase, but I just figured I would ask. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by triax37 View Post
Any Quebecois (or other French-speakers) willing to help an English speaker with a potential car purchase? There is a 2017 F31 I'm interested in, and I tried to call the dealer, Hyundai Drummondville, but they are not very helpful. There are probably too many obstacles to overcome with this potential purchase, but I just figured I would ask. Thanks!
I personally would stay away from anything used coming from Quebec.
Lots of shady things happening the used car market there and pretty lax provincial laws. Lots of salvaged cars bought from other provinces, repaired and sold there.
Appreciate 3
Th3Walrus340.50
triax37130.00
Shady6747.00
      08-26-2021, 06:14 AM   #3
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Agreed. Avoid used cars from Quebec. Accidents don't get reported into the system/carfax. Carfax reports actually warn you if a car was previously registered in Quebec. Used car dealers here in Ontario regularly buy repaired cars from Quebec and play dumb when you ask about the accident history.

Back in 2011 we bought a used 2009 Mazda 3 from a local used car lot, in the winter. The guy showed me the carfax page showing no 'history' of accidents or repairs, but afterwards I realized he hid the section stating the car was from Quebec. When I specifically asked if the car had any repaired damage, he kept stating that the carfax shows no history of damage. Car looked spotless, low kms. Bought it. A week later when it was really cold, the drivers door wouldn't open - there was resistance with the handle. It did this a few more times so I pulled the inside door panel. There is a plastic sheet that deflects water from the window inside the door, over the outside of the door actuation rods. This sheet was on the inside, allowing water to drip and freeze onto the door rods. I started going over the car in my warm garage, and the driver door had been reskinned. No other signs of repair anywhere else. When I checked the carfax pages that came with the purchase, I then noticed the warning about it previously being from Quebec and that not all accidents will show up. Luckily we had no further problems with the car, drove it until it had 250,000kms in June 2019 and replaced it with her current 2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S All4.
Appreciate 2
triax37130.00
ImBlue30.00
      08-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
I personally would stay away from anything used coming from Quebec.
Lots of shady things happening the used car market there and pretty lax provincial laws. Lots of salvaged cars bought from other provinces, repaired and sold there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
Agreed. Avoid used cars from Quebec. Accidents don't get reported into the system/carfax. Carfax reports actually warn you if a car was previously registered in Quebec. Used car dealers here in Ontario regularly buy repaired cars from Quebec and play dumb when you ask about the accident history.

Back in 2011 we bought a used 2009 Mazda 3 from a local used car lot, in the winter. The guy showed me the carfax page showing no 'history' of accidents or repairs, but afterwards I realized he hid the section stating the car was from Quebec. When I specifically asked if the car had any repaired damage, he kept stating that the carfax shows no history of damage. Car looked spotless, low kms. Bought it. A week later when it was really cold, the drivers door wouldn't open - there was resistance with the handle. It did this a few more times so I pulled the inside door panel. There is a plastic sheet that deflects water from the window inside the door, over the outside of the door actuation rods. This sheet was on the inside, allowing water to drip and freeze onto the door rods. I started going over the car in my warm garage, and the driver door had been reskinned. No other signs of repair anywhere else. When I checked the carfax pages that came with the purchase, I then noticed the warning about it previously being from Quebec and that not all accidents will show up. Luckily we had no further problems with the car, drove it until it had 250,000kms in June 2019 and replaced it with her current 2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S All4.
Super helpful - thanks! I'll find a better option.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I agree, many trucks with damaged cars are heading on the 401 towards Quebec.
I made the mistake to buy a car from Quebec with similar horror story.
I swore off buying any cars from Quebec, not saying that they are all bad but in the used car market, it is an added risk.
Appreciate 1
Th3Walrus340.50
      08-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #6
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It's well known that stopping at stop signs is optional in Quebec.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
ImBlue
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340ix MPPSK| 2015 R60 JCW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post

WOW! Your experience mirrors mine, even the car brands.

In 2014 we bought a 2010 Mazda5 sold by an Ontario dealer but the car was previously registered in Quebec. Same experience with spotless car with a clean Carfax but later realized the hood, right fender and bumper had previous repair. Last year we also replaced the Mazda with a Countryman JCW so now sharing the garage with the 340i.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 05:39 AM   #8
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Haha that's hilarious. Wife's Countryman isn't a JCW, but my 340i has MPPSK like yours. What were you driving before the 340i? Would be really funny if you were driving a Ford Flex Ecoboost like I was.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
Chaton78
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i 2016

I'm from Montreal. Just sold our Chevy.. both accidents were on the carfax report.

Yes, there are bad sales carman in Quebec. The small ones will rip on the mechanical side. Bigger will rip you on extra charges that are against the law, especially if you are outside Quebec.

But, you can find good deals... bought a 340i from a Mercedes dealer. I did my homework before (service history + carfax + inspection). The car is perfect. I bought a 2012 328i from Manitoba from a MTL dealer nothing on the carfax but was clearly damaged on the driver side.

Any way, if you need help, I can.. but don't expect them to give a lot of details over the phone. You will need to go in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #10
RedSectorA
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix M Perf, 2019 M2 Cmp

Garage List
Carfax do report in Quebec, I don't see any issues buying a car from a franchised dealership but I would be leery buying from some used car lots.

A totalled car that was rebuilt needs to have the mention VGA for "vehicule gravement accidenté" on the ownerships in Quebec. I suspect some of the comments above of questionable Quebec cars bought through other provinces stemmed from unscrupulous dealers in other provinces that can get those VGA cars miraculously cleaned when transferred to the destination province.

Secondly when purchasing a car in Quebec make sure you do a lien search through the RDPRM (registry office for moveable properties) to insure there are no liens. You are ultimately respinsible for this , not the dealer.

Barring the language issue buying a car is very safe in Quebec.