F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why is my 428i X-Drive handling not that sharp?
Studio RSR

05-15-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
William Van Landingham
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i X-Drive

Cool Why is my 428i X-Drive handling not that sharp?

So I've owned two 2014 428i's, one I got on a lease when they first came out in 2013 and I LOVED it, it had the Sportline package and the dynamic handling package (something like that), and the thing handled amazingly well, was fun to drive, super precise, balanced, everything. Fantastic car. When my lease was up I returned it, but wanted another one for some time now.

Then last year I saw a very good deal on a 2014 428i X-Drive, base model with just the cold weather package and Nav and ended up getting it. It is much more of a luxury car, more like my old CTS than my other 428i I owned. The steering is less responsive, it's not nearly as precise, and while it rides well on highways, it's just not as fun to drive. It's not bad by any means, just a lot different.

My question is, does the Sportline/handling package really make that huge of a difference, where it completely changes the way the car feels? I ask because the X-Drive one I have now, has the base 17" wheels and some generic touring tires on it - while the one I got on the lease had 18" wheels, and the original performance tires that were actually quite good. I was considering putting some new, good summer performance tires on my current BMW, but I'm just not sure if that will really make much of a difference or not.

Did anyone out there have any ideas on this? I'd hate to spend like $900 on tires and then find out it doesn't really make a big difference. At the same time, I do know that crappy tires can ruin a car, and maybe that is making a bigger difference than I might think.

If anyone ever deal with this scenario, I'd love to hear your opinion. Even if it was only driving a base 428i with the 17" wheels vs the Sportline or M-Sport versions.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 05:09 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
The difference is the 704 M Sport suspension on your first car and the standard xDrive suspension on your current car.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

And dynamic handling adds vss which gives you the impression the steering is "less responsive". Also, are tires the same?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 11:38 PM   #4
William Van Landingham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
And dynamic handling adds vss which gives you the impression the steering is "less responsive". Also, are tires the same?
No, that's what I was saying in the post. My current X-Drive 428i is just the base package, with 17" wheels and whoever had it before me put on some generic tires. I'm considering replacing them but really wondering if that's going to make a big difference, or if the big difference is in the handling package.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 11:44 PM   #5
William Van Landingham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The difference is the 704 M Sport suspension on your first car and the standard xDrive suspension on your current car.
Is it really that huge of a difference? So getting some good summer performance tires probably won't make a big difference?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 01:32 AM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Van Landingham View Post
Is it really that huge of a difference? So getting some good summer performance tires probably won't make a big difference?
I’m afraid that’s correct.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-16-2022, 05:55 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
There is a lot of difference between the two examples, if one was RWD with DHP, vs. a base xDrive. Wheels and tires are only a small factor. Suspension, different steering rack and the weight difference (on the front for xDrive) are the bigger issues.

Many user have changed the suspension (springs and dampers) on xDrive models to get better handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:13 PM   #8
William Van Landingham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
There is a lot of difference between the two examples, if one was RWD with DHP, vs. a base xDrive. Wheels and tires are only a small factor. Suspension, different steering rack and the weight difference (on the front for xDrive) are the bigger issues.

Many user have changed the suspension (springs and dampers) on xDrive models to get better handling.
Thanks for the input, it's appreciated!

I think I'm going to just look to get another 428i, one with the M-Sport package and heads up display - which I loved on the first 428i I had.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:17 PM   #9
William Van Landingham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I’m afraid that’s correct.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

It sounds like that's going to be the big issue, not the generic tires. I'm sure the tires would help a bit, but I'd rather take the $1000 I'd spend on them and just put it towards a different 428i w/ M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:31 PM   #10
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
I think I'm going to just look to get another 428i, one with the M-Sport package and heads up display - which I loved on the first 428i I had.
consider a build date after 3/'15, which has revised timing chain guides, etc. or maybe a 430i with the B48, which is a better engine, altogether.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:15 PM   #11
William Van Landingham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
consider a build date after 3/'15, which has revised timing chain guides, etc. or maybe a 430i with the B48, which is a better engine, altogether.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of the build date differences. I really didn't keep up with the 4-series news even when I had since it was a lease originally and I couldn't modify it anyways - plus I thought the thing was fantastic. But I'll go read up on that now that I'm aware of it.

The 430i's are just a bit more than what I want to pay right now, but if I end up wait a bit they'll probably start to become an option.

I also might consider getting a convertible, does the extra weight of the hard top just kill the handling, even with the M-sport package?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:26 PM   #12
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
I really didn't keep up with the 4-series news even when I had since it was a lease originally and I couldn't modify it anyways - plus I thought the thing was fantastic. But I'll go read up on that now that I'm aware of it. I also might consider getting a convertible, does the extra weight of the hard top just kill the handling, even with the M-sport package?
any convertible counterpart is typically heavier with less body rigidity, so there'll always be a negative impact. t's just a matter of how sensitive you are to it and whether it is worth the open air feeling. there's also the 2-series coupe or vert whish is more nimble/tossable than an equivalent 4-series. of course the 4-series m-sport coupe is quite a bit more attractive than an equivalent 2-series.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 05-18-2022 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:39 PM   #13
Bob Loblah
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F36 440i xDrive

Quote:
No, that's what I was saying in the post. My current X-Drive 428i is just the base package, with 17" wheels and whoever had it before me put on some generic tires. I'm considering replacing them but really wondering if that's going to make a big difference, or if the big difference is in the handling package.

Perhaps you want to test drive some other 428i with the sport package to feel the difference again since seems like there is a gap between the two 428i you've owned.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 11:23 AM   #14
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII

The problem is the F30 xDrive's were not designed with a performance suspensions from the factory. New tires would be an improvement, but would also highlight how soft the base suspension is. Stiffer springs and sport dampers along with better tires is what you would need to install to get close to your previous cars handling. Additionally, it would lower the car and remove some of the wheel gap.
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 12:29 PM   #15
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I've got a 328i m-sport with 704 Msport suspension. When I get a 3 series loaner when I take my car in for service, I can't believe how different my car feels, suspension wise, compared to the standard suspension. I didn't love the DHP (adaptive suspension + VSS ) at first, but then I got the Dinan Shockware and made the car perfect for me. Getting rid of run flats helped too.

What I don't know is how standard suspension would feel with performance go flat tires. That may be the only change you need.

Another option for you to consider is VAC monoball upper control arms and lower control arms. I just had them installed and it tightened up the steering. The best way I can describe the difference is that it now feels like previous-genearation BMWs with hydraulic steering.

Good luck sorting it out.
Appreciate 1
boyerizm243.00
      05-19-2022, 02:30 PM   #16
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismikeyb View Post
The problem is the F30 xDrive's were not designed with a performance suspensions from the factory. New tires would be an improvement, but would also highlight how soft the base suspension is. Stiffer springs and sport dampers along with better tires is what you would need to install to get close to your previous cars handling. Additionally, it would lower the car and remove some of the wheel gap.
This is exactly why I'm sticking with run flat on my 340i xDrive with M-Sport. I'm concerned that the car will feel too soft with regular tires.
Appreciate 1
Wires1644.00
      05-19-2022, 04:48 PM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
What I don't know is how standard suspension would feel with performance go flat tires. That may be the only change you need.
I suspect the handling will be even softer and less planted.

I removed the RFTs and replaced with UHP non run-flats on my E91, which had standard suspension. Result was a softer, more compliant ride, but the standard damping was totally inadequate. Changed the damping to get better chassis control.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11329.50
      05-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #18
William Van Landingham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I've got a 328i m-sport with 704 Msport suspension. When I get a 3 series loaner when I take my car in for service, I can't believe how different my car feels, suspension wise, compared to the standard suspension. I didn't love the DHP (adaptive suspension + VSS ) at first, but then I got the Dinan Shockware and made the car perfect for me. Getting rid of run flats helped too.

Another option for you to consider is VAC monoball upper control arms and lower control arms. I just had them installed and it tightened up the steering. The best way I can describe the difference is that it now feels like previous-genearation BMWs with hydraulic steering.

Good luck sorting it out.
This is really good information, thank you for taking the time to post it. But what you said about the 3-loaner is how I feel about my current car, I can't believe it's even the same model it feels so different. Again, not in a bad way, this current 428i feels a lot like an old CTS I had, it doesn't feel like there's anything wrong with it, it's just not nearly as sporty.

I was hoping maybe someone would just say replace the tires with some UHP Summer Tires and it makes all the difference in the world, but I figured it wasn't that simple. The big question is if I do a bunch of upgrades is if it's better to go that route or just go and buy another fully optioned out 428i.

Again thanks for the info and I will look into your suggestions.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11329.50
      05-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #19
William Van Landingham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I suspect the handling will be even softer and less planted.

I removed the RFTs and replaced with UHP non run-flats on my E91, which had standard suspension. Result was a softer, more compliant ride, but the standard damping was totally inadequate. Changed the damping to get better chassis control.
I had a C5 Corvette which had the stock runflats on it, that had maybe 25k miles on them or so, but still looked perfect - and that car, in the rain, would slip and slide all over the place, it was legit dangerous to drive unless you were super careful in the rain. I thought it was the car, since Corvettes are known to be hard to control at times, but it wasn't the car, it was 100% the tires.

I replaced the stock runflats with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 non-run flats, at the time they were pretty much considered the best wet tire you could get, and it completely changed the way the car handled, dry or wet, but the difference on wet roads was stunning. After putting the new set on it was the first time I ever felt tires 'bite' going into corners instead of sliding, and in the rain, the car handled great, no more slipping and sliding at all, no more of the traction control kicking and jerking the car all over the place.

This would have been in the early 2000s, and the runflats were from a 99 model, so maybe 3-years 25k miles and those tires were shot, but I had no idea since they had plenty of tread, and looked pretty much new.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 06:34 PM   #20
William Van Landingham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismikeyb View Post
That's great info to have. I'll have to call around and get some pricing, but at least I have an idea of what to even ask about.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #21
William Van Landingham
Rep

BTW, if anyone cares, I ended up just buying a 435i M Sport, and man oh man, now I remember why I loved that first 428i Sportline I leased so many years ago. My memories about being fun to drive were absolutely correct. Obviously the 435i has more power, and boy does it get up to speed quickly, but throwing it around in corners, while it's not as nimble as the lighter 428i, it's not that much behind it. Also this 435i is loaded with nearly every option, so I got back the heads up display and the sport seats, etc, so far I'm extremely happy with my purchase. It's amazing how different that 428i xDrive without the upgraded suspension drives compared to these two RWD with the sport suspension, they feel like completely different cars.

The only thing I dislike about the new one is the lack of heated seats. I'm in Florida so it's not a huge deal, but it does get below freezing a few days a year where I'm out. I had heated seats on the other two and thought it didn't even occur to me that it's not a standard feature. Cadillac gives you heated and air conditioned seats (at least they used to), and BMW is nickel and diming you for heated seats, it's kind lame. But outside of that, everything else I've been very happy with.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2022, 09:57 PM   #22
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
BTW, if anyone cares, I ended up just buying a 435i M Sport, and man oh man, now I remember why I loved that first 428i Sportline I leased so many years ago. My memories about being fun to drive were absolutely correct. Obviously the 435i has more power, and boy does it get up to speed quickly, but throwing it around in corners, while it's not as nimble as the lighter 428i, it's not that much behind it. Also this 435i is loaded with nearly every option, so I got back the heads up display and the sport seats, etc, so far I'm extremely happy with my purchase. It's amazing how different that 428i xDrive without the upgraded suspension drives compared to these two RWD with the sport suspension, they feel like completely different cars.

The only thing I dislike about the new one is the lack of heated seats. I'm in Florida so it's not a huge deal, but it does get below freezing a few days a year where I'm out. I had heated seats on the other two and thought it didn't even occur to me that it's not a standard feature. Cadillac gives you heated and air conditioned seats (at least they used to), and BMW is nickel and diming you for heated seats, it's kind lame. But outside of that, everything else I've been very happy with.
Congrats on your new ride. Good for you for making a change. You weren't going to be happy with that 428 AWD no matter.

Question: You say you have sport suspension on your "new to you" 435. Do you have Adaptive Suspension? I think they called it the DHP package (Dynamic Handling Package). If so, look into getting Dinan Shockware. It's software for changing the adaptive suspension. It's an inexpensive way to really improve the suspension, but only if you have adaptive.

Good luck with your 435.
Appreciate 0