F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 1-8 Hot Keys
Extreme Powerhouse

03-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

1-8 Hot Keys

I apologize for asking such a seemingly stupid question but I've searched the forums and haven't been able to find much.

My question, how do you assign various actions to hot keys? Does each hot key do one specific thing only or do they vary based upon which iDrive application is open?

For example, is it possible to set it up so that when the navigation application is open, pressing 1 will send me home, but if I'm in the phone app, could I set it up so that pressing 1 would instead call a specific number?

My second question is how do I save various functions to each hot key? I tried saving my home address by putting in my home address into the navigation, having it start guidance, then holding 1 but it doesn't work. It saves something completely random (I think it just pulls up the map whenever I hit 1 and guides me to wherever I was at the time I held the 1 key).

It seems fairly counter-intuitive how the whole process works so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I apologize for asking such a seemingly stupid question but I've searched the forums and haven't been able to find much.
First off, I would recommend to you (and anyone) Google as a search engine rather than the forums. Forum searching can be tricky and often fruitless.

Quote:
My question, how do you assign various actions to hot keys? Does each hot key do one specific thing only or do they vary based upon which iDrive application is open?

For example, is it possible to set it up so that when the navigation application is open, pressing 1 will send me home, but if I'm in the phone app, could I set it up so that pressing 1 would instead call a specific number?
No, the hotkeys are intended to be global - i.e. their programmed function is independent of where you are within the iDrive system.

Quote:
My second question is how do I save various functions to each hot key? I tried saving my home address by putting in my home address into the navigation, having it start guidance, then holding 1 but it doesn't work. It saves something completely random (I think it just pulls up the map whenever I hit 1 and guides me to wherever I was at the time I held the 1 key).

It seems fairly counter-intuitive how the whole process works so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have navigation, but I searched via google and came to this explanation: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...04&postcount=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
It's very easy. Try this method.

You can pick up a destination easily from Last Destinations. Go to last destinations and select the destination you want to store into key, you will see a green rectangle on the selected destination. Next hold the desired programmable key for two seconds and all done.

With this setting, you can now easily go to the pre-selected destination on NAV from any screen, you need not be on NAV screen.

I set key #8 for Home, its the last key in the row and doesn't interfere with other keys and easy to remember as Final Destination is Home this or that.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Yeah I tried Googling searching. I did find how to save addresses, but I was wondering how to save other functions, such as a hot key to call an individual.

I assume I just go to my recent calls, highlight the number and assign a key to it which I'll try today.

Thanks for the reply though.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
I assume I just go to my recent calls, highlight the number and assign a key to it which I'll try today.
I forget exactly but if that doesn't work, go to the number in your phone book then assign the key. I think if you assign a key while looking at your recent calls, the key will bring you to your recent calls list.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

there is a huge thread on this forum with more idea than you could ever imagine about what to assign to the hotkeys.
Too lazy to find it though. Someone else will shortly.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

Go to what you want to do in idrive then hold the hot key.

Ie if you want to set number 1 as call home, browse through the idrive for telephone, names, find home, highlight it then hold down 1.

1 will then do that function. So basically keep going until yo get to the point where clicking the idrive button would do the action (final stage) then instead of clicking, hold down the hot key (hold for 3 ish seconds)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
Go to what you want to do in idrive then hold the hot key.

Ie if you want to set number 1 as call home, browse through the idrive for telephone, names, find home, highlight it then hold down 1.

1 will then do that function. So basically keep going until yo get to the point where clicking the idrive button would do the action (final stage) then instead of clicking, hold down the hot key (hold for 3 ish seconds)
Yup, tried that and it worked. Thank you!

So it is intuitive after all, just have to know the logic behind it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
there is a huge thread on this forum with more idea than you could ever imagine about what to assign to the hotkeys.
Too lazy to find it though. Someone else will shortly.
Here ya go !!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730317
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
homeland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2011

I think there must by a reset function that will allow you to assign keys to whatever action you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeland View Post
I think there must by a reset function that will allow you to assign keys to whatever action you want.
You can just overwrite them. Hovering over the button will allow you to see what function (if any) is saved to that key.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
If I'm not mistaken holding keys 1 & 8 clears them all.

You can make, almost any function a hot key. I have 1&2 as phone numbers, 3 as my "messages" for when I get texts, emails or send info to the car, 4 is another phone number, 5-8 are my places of employment and home.

Hovering lets you see what it is. I wouldn't put any function in that is already available via steering wheel controls, or the iDrive controls.

If you want a contact, go to that contact, the exact number to dial, and as you are getting ready to dial, push and hold the button.

Same goes for navigation - when you are ready to hit "accept destination" or "start navigation" press and hold the button and it will save that function. It essentially saves whatever your iDrive cursor is over.

you can do this for the user manual, Vehicle Info, Efficient dynamics, Sport displays - almost anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
To reset all hot keys you press 1 and 8 at the same time and hold for approximately 10 seconds. To save something to a hot key, you hover over what you want to save and press and hold the corresponding number you'd like to program. Done. If it cannot be done, it'll let you know that it cannot be saved. Simple. Don't need to go through a million lines of threads.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: munichs finest

Is there a list for dumb people to remember whats saved under each number?
Or do I have to write it down like my gradmothers tv channel settings?
      03-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Is there a list for dumb people to remember whats saved under each number?
Or do I have to write it down like my gradmothers tv channel settings?
Just run your fingers across the numbers - it'll show you on your screen what you saved without having to press the button.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
Just run your fingers across the numbers - it'll show you on your screen what you saved without having to press the button.
But you should write that down because you are going to forget about the hover-hand trick.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
But you should write that down because you are going to forget about the hover-hand trick.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Are there no CAs out there showing these people how to work their cars or how about
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: munichs finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
Are there no CAs out there showing these people how to work their cars or how about
Not having it yet thats why im penetrating the forums
      03-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #19
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Not having it yet thats why im penetrating the forums
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Appreciate 0