F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Can't wait for my F34
proTUNING Freaks

01-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
carpediem24
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chrysler 300

So I decided to get me a 2018 F34. Loved it since the day I saw it at my local dealers floor and test drove it. Wonder why it gets so much hatred from people.

2018 330i - Sport Line Trim (a tiny bit regretful that I didn't get the M sport package) - Alpine White with Dakota Red Interiors - Executive Package - Harmon Kardon - Apple Carplay - BSM - ACC

Anyway, tracking my car from the factory has been exciting but the wait is painful knowing I won't get my hands on it till the 1st week of February. I've been documenting every step since I placed the order. Sharing it here because...... well, just because.

Built at: Dingolfing, Germany
Order Finalized - 11/27
Order Placed - 11/28
Production Started - 12/01
Paintshop Started - 12/13
Production Complete - 12/14
Released to Carrier - 12/15
Arrived at Port - 12/27
Booked for shipment - 12/28
VIN showed up on shipping website - 01/05
Loaded on Vessel at Zeebrugge - 01/08

I plan to swap the RFTs out with non RFTs All Seasons once it gets here. Any recommendations? I'm eyeing the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. Anyone has any experience to share with these tires or if there are better ones out there? Any links to any kind of discounts is also highly appreciated if someone can share.

Last edited by carpediem24; 01-17-2018 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #2
GoSpursGo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3/ BMW 325ti

So what colour/model/options did you get or do we have to wait?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
carpediem24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpursGo View Post
So what colour/model/options did you get or do we have to wait?
Edited my post to include the color/model/options
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

My newly-arrived 2018 is also white, but Beige Sensatec, with somewhat less content, but after a couple of hundred miles, I like it very much! I haven't encountered any "hate", but would attribute any to those with different needs who can only express themselves with egocentrism and childishness. The car serves a purpose extremely well!

As to tires, within the Ultra High Performance All Season category, there are some variations. We have the DWS06 currently on my wife's Audi A6, and they are great providing a quite/comfortable ride with very good handling. If you want something within the same category more performance oriented, trading off a bit of the quiet/comfort, I suggest Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. I have an earlier version of that tire on my 2 Series/Track Package/6MT car. In either case, you will also need snow tires, such as Blizzak WS80 or Michelin XIce xi3. Neither of the DWS06 nor AS3+ (nor any others in that category) will be as capable of stopping/turning as well in the winters in your area. They can handle "light" snow at most...when you can still see most of the concrete below you. (Most tires will get you going, but that is convenience...stop/turn is the life/limb saving stuff).

Congrats, good luck, and enjoy!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
carpediem24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
In either case, you will also need snow tires, such as Blizzak WS80 or Michelin XIce xi3. Neither of the DWS06 nor AS3+ (nor any others in that category) will be as capable of stopping/turning as well in the winters in your area. They can handle "light" snow at most...when you can still see most of the concrete below you. (Most tires will get you going, but that is convenience...stop/turn is the life/limb saving stuff).

Congrats, good luck, and enjoy!
Thanks for your reply, Sportstick,

I have a driven a FWD with AS tires and now drive a Chrysler 300 AWD with AS tires and been in MN snow for 7 years now and I've survived well. From that alone, I am hoping to be fine with just the AS and ditching Snow tires.

But if I were to indulge in that thought, I'll need space for 2 set of tires in my tiny garage. The Runflats that I have to return at the end of three years and spare AS/Summer tires when I'm using Snow tires. I really dont have the space to store them. Does BMW offer any sort of storage plans for tires? If yes, how expensive are they? Or is there an alternative that I can consider?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

My GT with AS is far better in snow, incomparably so, than every FWD I ever had with winters, going back 30 odd years.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem24 View Post
Thanks for your reply, Sportstick,

I have a driven a FWD with AS tires and now drive a Chrysler 300 AWD with AS tires and been in MN snow for 7 years now and I've survived well. From that alone, I am hoping to be fine with just the AS and ditching Snow tires.

But if I were to indulge in that thought, I'll need space for 2 set of tires in my tiny garage. The Runflats that I have to return at the end of three years and spare AS/Summer tires when I'm using Snow tires. I really dont have the space to store them. Does BMW offer any sort of storage plans for tires? If yes, how expensive are they? Or is there an alternative that I can consider?
Respectfully, the reason you have done well in snow is likely because you've never had to stop or turn in enough of an emergency avoidance (yes, you can be cautious, but others can unexpectedly slide into your path) to overwhelm AS tire snow/ice capability. The actual difference in capability vs winter tires is very significant. This concept is like homeowners insurance. Who needs it....until the place burns down! Anyway, my Michigan/Ohio experience gets me on a soapbox sometimes, so please excuse the preachiness.

As to convenience of how to manage this if you so decided, I am a fan of tirerack.com. They have a network of approved installers. You order the snow tires on wheels (ask for narrowest fit possible), they ship to the local installer you choose, and many of them store the off-season set (sometimes for a fee), so you just do a "NASCAR" pitstop twice a year and are always on optimal rubber.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My GT with AS is far better in snow, incomparably so, than every FWD I ever had with winters, going back 30 odd years.
Likely so, but the fact that you're emphasizing the comparison to prior FWD suggests you are primarily making your assessment on getting the car moving. My position is that, of the three basic functions, "go" is the least important versus "turn" and "stop" when considering safety and damage.

However, for getting moving, dividing the torque among four wheels is helpful to gain traction, so your observation makes sense. But, the data is clear that, for stopping and turning, you are at a disadvantage if the same car is compared on AS versus dedicated winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
carpediem24
United_States
Rep

Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely not denying the benefits of dedicated snow tires. And you're right about the comparison with needing insurance. So there is a definite inherent risk in saying 'I don't need snow tires' that I'm aware of.
Having said that, I'll check with tirerack and see what they have to offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Likely so, but the fact that you're emphasizing the comparison to prior FWD suggests you are primarily making your assessment on getting the car moving.
My assessment is based on running a ski shop for 25 years, which required me getting reliably to work, and home again, no matter what, including a ten mile drive up a mountain road to get to work, down it to go home. Judging by the OPs comments it sounds like he knows how to drive in winter, so he's probably OK. On that subject winter driving is 75% skill, only 25% vehicle. Invariably after a storm here there's a land office business towing stuck vehicles off the medians they wandered into. They pretty much all have three things in common: They're AWD SUVs, they have winter tires, and they have Massachusetts plates.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #11
kmenard
Rep
Drives: Still at the dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My assessment is based on running a ski shop for 25 years, which required me getting reliably to work, and home again, no matter what, including a ten mile drive up a mountain road to get to work, down it to go home. Judging by the OPs comments it sounds like he knows how to drive in winter, so he's probably OK. On that subject winter driving is 75% skill, only 25% vehicle. Invariably after a storm here there's a land office business towing stuck vehicles off the medians they wandered into. They pretty much all have three things in common: They're AWD SUVs, they have winter tires, and they have Massachusetts plates.
At least give me that us Massholes are better drivers than Rhode Islanders
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

We don't see SUVs with RI, or Connecticut plates, sitting in the median strips after a storm. They all ran off the road in Massachusetts.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #13
Sandlapper
Esquire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 340i GT (F34)

Excited for my new GT!

Well, my new GT has entered the production line, and I am very excited.

I have ordered the model and specs, with most of the bells and whistles, just below and am curious what others might have to say about modifications, etc.

Here she is:
2019 340i xDrive GT
Mineral gray metallic
Venetian beige leather interior
Executive package
Premium package
M Sport package
Adaptive M suspension
Burled walnut trim
Active blind spot detection
Wireless charging
I stuck with the standard 18” wheel setup

For reference, this is my daily driver. I am not especially aggressive, and this is a family car. I wanted a fun, sporty car for my daily commute, did not want an SUV, and needed to check the requisite "practical" family car boxes. I am happy to leave my trusty, but not so cool, 2004 Subaru Forester and its 165-hp behind. My dad had a 2002, 535i, and M5 when I was growing up, so I was already a BMW fan.

Early on, I plan to do some coding modifications, including:
removal of nag screen
removal of backup camera warning
close hatch from button on driver side
close hatch with fob
unlock all doors with stop button (maybe) aka "comfort exit"
mirrors fold when lock (maybe)
"brake force display" to make brake lights flash with heavy braking

I may eventually ditch the RFT that most seem to dislike, in favor of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Pilot Sport 4s. It does not snow where I live. I like the convenience of the RFT, but understand from reviews that they can make for a harsh ride.

I have read some commentary on these that caught my attention:
intercooler
charge pipe

Other minor items that I have not sorted out yet:
window tinting (a must)
floor mats
I might need a good back seat cover to go under the two child seats
Going from one child car seat to two (yep!) will mean that my daily canine copilot will have go from the back seat to the front or maybe the way back, necessitating something else.

Sorry for the long post. I am excited. And, open to what anyone else has to share. Thanks.

Last edited by Sandlapper; 06-29-2018 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #14
Sandlapper
Esquire
United_States
Rep

Oh, I forgot to mention I opted for the performance center delivery to Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
Going from one child car seat to two (yep!) will mean that my daily canine copilot will have go from the back seat to the front or maybe the way back, necessitating something else.
Congrats, good luck, and enjoy! Please carefully check the weight of your dog and the proper restraint. An air bag deployment into a dog can be fatal.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #16
Sandlapper
Esquire
United_States
Rep

Duly noted and good point. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #17
Lazarus.Bird
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT

I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and do quite well in the snow.

Sometimes I remove the privacy covers and stick my 60 lbs dog in the back and he's fine. He can stand up ok but not as much room as in my wife's CX-5 obviously. It is fine for driving him 15-20 minutes but I wouldn't want to stick him back there for a road trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #18
Sandlapper
Esquire
United_States
Rep

My Boykin Spaniel is just under 30 lbs., so I'll keep my fingers crossed she'll be okay back there. We'll see.

I appreciate the dog feedback. After all, I asked for it, but I am also hoping for feedback or suggestions of any modifications, gear, etc. for my future wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #19
Lazarus.Bird
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT

Well some obvious ones are probably MPPK if you want to tune without voiding warranty and replacing the exhaust with something more performance oriented. IIRC they still don't have an M Sport Exhaust for the F34 so you'd have to go aftermarket.

Some easy ones I did was replacing the chrome kidney grill with black and replacing the factory chrome exhaust tips with black ones. And of course tinting like you mentioned. Winter mats are great too but not sure you need them in SC
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:57 PM   #20
Sandlapper
Esquire
United_States
Rep

Does anyone have a good GT car cover recommendation?

I did not have the luck I was expecting with searching this forum or online in general.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #21
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Can't wait for pictures!
Appreciate 0