F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anxiety
Extreme Powerhouse

05-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #67
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I've posted some of my past experience earlier on in the topic, thankfully have been able to keep my self pretty much in control through a very difficult 2-years. Dealing with my wife's cancer, operation, chemotherapy, radio therapy treatments, a serious and unusual infection (due to a compromised immune system) which nearly took her life one night in A&E.

This January we both got a version of the flu, knocked us both for six. After two weeks I slowly got going and although being careful, over did it one afternoon in the garden, and got exhausted. The next day I got all sorts of strange symptoms which showed the virus was still about and attacking my nervous system. Within a couple of days I was in a very bad place, high anxiety, trembling and panic attacks at levels I was showing symptoms which could be parallel to a heart attack.

Even applying all I've learned over the years and following specific breathing exercises to stop/control the 'fight or flight' response, took a couple of weeks to get any real control back. 8-weeks on, I'm still fighting the sudden anxiety attacks. I can be completely normal, totally relaxed and suddenly like a switch being thrown, from a thought, a movement, a bit of exertion, eating, my body goes into meltdown. Often feels it switches off, like the click of a switch, with breathing control.

I feel the extra stress of the past 2-years, (the risk of the unusual cancer returning being 80% in the first 18-months, even with all the treatments), plus the flu virus simply tipped the scales and my body caved in.

Just last week I started to feel I was coming out of it and then we had a hospital emergency in the family which I've had to deal with, has tipped the scales again.

Can be a massive challenge to keep anxiety under control, even if you think you understand what is going on.
Appreciate 4
      05-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #68
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I've posted some of my past experience earlier on in the topic, thankfully have been able to keep my self pretty much in control through a very difficult 2-years. Dealing with my wife's cancer, operation, chemotherapy, radio therapy treatments, a serious and unusual infection (due to a compromised immune system) which nearly took her life one night in A&E.

This January we both got a version of the flu, knocked us both for six. After two weeks I slowly got going and although being careful, over did it one afternoon in the garden, and got exhausted. The next day I got all sorts of strange symptoms which showed the virus was still about and attacking my nervous system. Within a couple of days I was in a very bad place, high anxiety, trembling and panic attacks at levels I was showing symptoms which could be parallel to a heart attack.

Even applying all I've learned over the years and following specific breathing exercises to stop/control the 'fight or flight' response, took a couple of weeks to get any real control back. 8-weeks on, I'm still fighting the sudden anxiety attacks. I can be completely normal, totally relaxed and suddenly like a switch being thrown, from a thought, a movement, a bit of exertion, eating, my body goes into meltdown. Often feels it switches off, like the click of a switch, with breathing control.

I feel the extra stress of the past 2-years, (the risk of the unusual cancer returning being 80% in the first 18-months, even with all the treatments), plus the flu virus simply tipped the scales and my body caved in.

Just last week I started to feel I was coming out of it and then we had a hospital emergency in the family which I've had to deal with, has tipped the scales again.

Can be a massive challenge to keep anxiety under control, even if you think you understand what is going on.
That is an incredibly tough last couple of years you have endured so no wonder you anxiety has come back with a vengeance.

It sounds like you have really been really suffering of late so maybe worth a trip to see your GP and maybe look into the possibly getting some proffesional therapy in order to help you through this particularly bad period.

Look after yourself mate and I wish you and your wife all the very best.

Martin
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #69
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
That is an incredibly tough last couple of years you have endured so no wonder you anxiety has come back with a vengeance.

It sounds like you have really been really suffering of late so maybe worth a trip to see your GP and maybe look into the possibly getting some proffesional therapy in order to help you through this particularly bad period.

Look after yourself mate and I wish you and your wife all the very best.

Martin
Going slightly off main topic, but easy to see where the stress comes from which triggers anxiety.

We did get help while going through the cancer treatments. NHS and Macmillan nurses and consultants were great, same for the cancer support charities, Clan Haven up in Aberdeen and Maggie's in Inverness. Superb support and counselling.

Talking with one of our close friends today and she suggested I ought to see the GP, particularly as I'm still looking after my wife, who has long term illness, made worse by the cancer, treatments and the associated infection which developed on the only day I was away overnight with my son and family.

Came home mid evening to find her in a far worse state than she'd been describing to me while we were heading home. Didn't even take my coat off. After describing what her condition was like, the duty doctor suggested if we could cope, I'd get her to the hospital faster by car than getting an ambulance out to us, we could save 20 minutes, time was critical. He was waiting at the door when we got there and within minutes she was being worked on by two doctors, three nurses, radiographer called in at midnight to conduct x-rays. Her Oncologist was alerted as they had to cover every base.

Really did think I was going to lose her, doctors couldn't identify the problem for several hours, even with taking advice and talking it through with consultants in other hospitals. Blood tests weren't giving the markers they were looking for. They thought her heart was giving up at one point. They didn't know if it was the cancer coming back with a vengeance, an infection, the beginnings of meningitis, or a combination. Had to have massive doses of targeted antibiotics intravenously over 48 hours, once they identified the particular Strep' infection. It flared again a week later, we were back in A&E as instructed if the temperature rose to a critical level, they amended the doses of ongoing antibiotics.

The condition is so rare and the effects on the body very unusual. We had most of the staff come to see her, while going through the treatment, as most would never see anyone with the condition in their whole career.

The fact the cancer risk is still high, (although falling with time) and she still has temperature flares (a year on) which get near to critical, doesn't help current stress levels.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #70
Derrymilk
Occasional Lurker
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incontinentia Buttocks View Post
What is crystal clear, on reading this thread, is that mental illness is something that can effect anyone. Indeed 25% of us will face up to a mental illness in our lives.

One comforting thought for those that have posted their issues. You're just as mad as old Lobb
FUCK OFF!!

Gone: F36 420D M Sport, F30 Tanzanite M-sport, E90 lci Bluewater M-sport, E90 Le mans M-sport, E46 lci 320d SE Topaz blue, E36 318d Compact Montreal blue, E36 318d Compact Titan silver
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #71
TylerMcCraw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30

Ive had issues with anxiety lately, I started even getting DAILY panic attacks to the point I couldn't leave the house, They put me on zoloft and Im doing much better, It honestly came out of the blue, never had this issue before it started lol.
      05-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #72
Derrymilk
Occasional Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMcCraw View Post
Ive had issues with anxiety lately, I started even getting DAILY panic attacks to the point I couldn't leave the house, They put me on zoloft and Im doing much better, It honestly came out of the blue, never had this issue before it started lol.
Can really knock you for 6! Especially if you are getting repeated thoughts of doom or disaster for no good reason, and finding no way to control or overcome.

Gone: F36 420D M Sport, F30 Tanzanite M-sport, E90 lci Bluewater M-sport, E90 Le mans M-sport, E46 lci 320d SE Topaz blue, E36 318d Compact Montreal blue, E36 318d Compact Titan silver
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #73
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

It's an epidemic that's mainly hidden from view, millions of people screaming inside whilst putting a brave face on at work with friends and family.

Social media and the constant bombardment of "better lives with better things than you" doesn't help either as it's turned it all into some half arsed race where to win you must be richer than the next guy, but it's not a race and there is nothing to win.

Thoughts to anyone who is suffering, you're not alone!
      05-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #74
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
It's an epidemic that's mainly hidden from view, millions of people screaming inside whilst putting a brave face on at work with friends and family.

Social media and the constant bombardment of "better lives with better things than you" doesn't help either as it's turned it all into some half arsed race where to win you must be richer than the next guy, but it's not a race and there is nothing to win.

Thoughts to anyone who is suffering, you're not alone!
And having to put on that brave face makes things harder. Society is a strange thing...

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Wills28654.50
      05-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #75
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Had my first session this morning with my private therapist for anxiety treatment.

The first session involved relaxation hypnotherapy combined with a biofeedback monitor. The biofeedback monitor is designed to provide feedback on my general state of relaxation and immediate emotional reactions etc during hypnosis.

Well I felt very conscious and not very relaxed the entire time through this process. I certainly did not feel like I was hypnotised. My legs kept twitching almost constantly which I was very conscious of and the therapist commented on this afterwards.

More alarming was the therapist noted what he described as my 'nervousness' picked up via the biofeedback monitor was what he would expect from someone who had been in a 'warzone'. He looked a little bit shocked and concerned by this and this was not something I wanted to hear at all to be honest.

He said my nervousness is in a constant high state and must be brought down or eventually it could affect my immune system.

So I have two weeks before the next session. In the meantime I have been given some mindfulness homework exercises to do once a day for 10 minutes.

I came away feeling a little bit worse for wear to be honest but then I guess I know what I am dealing with now.

So not the best £ 75.00 I have ever spent but I will persevere.

Last edited by F20MAW73; 05-08-2018 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #76
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Had my first session this morning with my private therapist for anxiety treatment.

The first session involved relaxation hypnotherapy combined with a biofeedback monitor. The biofeedback monitor is designed to provide feedback on my general state of relaxation and immediate emotional reactions etc during hypnosis.

Well I felt very conscious and not very relaxed the entire time through this process. I certainly did not feel like I was hypnotised. My legs kept twitching almost constantly which I was very conscious of and the therapist commented on this afterwards.

More alarming was the therapist noted what he described as my 'nervousness' picked up via the biofeedback monitor was what he would expect from someone who had been in a 'warzone'. He looked a little bit shocked and concerned by this and this was not something I wanted to hear at all to be honest.

He said my nervousness is in a constant high state and must be brought down or eventually it could affect my immune system.

So I have two weeks before the next session. In the meantime I have been given some mindfulness homework exercises to do once a day for 10 minutes.

I came away feeling a little bit worse for wear to be honest but then I guess I know what I am dealing with now.

So not the best £ 75.00 I have ever spent but I will persevere.
Very much as Lobb says, it's all about that first step, you have made that step, it's just a case of keeping up that momentum.

A counsellor / therapist will go through the process of learning about you, gaining levels of trust etc. It's very rare that anyone is fully relaxed with someone new or doing something different first time out.

At a centre in Cambridge where I was a volunteer, a client might change counsellors as they may have fitted in better with a different counsellor (or issue may have been more there speciality).

Give the relationship with your counsellor time to mature a bit more, if however as Lobb says you feel it's not getting there look for a new counsellor.

A physical reaction to a mental condition I would say is pretty normal, for example high stress brings on physical conditions such as finger tapping, pacing, bitting lip to hiccups and beyond

Keep at it, it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #77
Derrymilk
Occasional Lurker
Rep

Tried hypnotherapy a few times in the past as well, TBH - I thought it was Bollix, and it was all I could do to keep my eyes closed and not burst out laughing

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #78
Derrymilk
Occasional Lurker
Rep

I know it’s late........but I didnt realise this was happening this weekend.
Registered and doing this event in the early hours of.....this morning.
It’s a massive event for a suicide charity.
Just in case any of you feel the need to give? ........no pressure, no worries ����

https://dil2018.pieta.ie/fundraisers...nald/cookstown

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #79
Derrymilk
Occasional Lurker
Rep

Just come in for the last 10 mins of Me and My Mental Health on channel 5
Need more programs like this to bring mental health into the viewing public’s eyes
Features three celebrities and members of the public.
Iain Lee speaking about dealing with suicidal thoughts

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:37 AM   #80
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm feeling shocking with anxiety this morning. Woke up at 5am feeling absolutely consumed by it.

We are traveling on holiday to Tenerife and it's the whole airport thing I hate. It's not so much a fear of flying but I hate the feeling of sometimes feeling faint and dizzy in crowded places like airports.

Going buisness class as well. I feel a right miserable anxious idiot. Holidays are supposed to be exciting.

Sorry my anxious rant over.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:02 AM   #81
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm feeling shocking with anxiety this morning. Woke up at 5am feeling absolutely consumed by it.

We are traveling on holiday to Tenerife and it's the whole airport thing I hate. It's not so much a fear of flying but I hate the feeling of sometimes feeling faint and dizzy in crowded places like airports.

Going buisness class as well. I feel a right miserable anxious idiot. Holidays are supposed to be exciting.

Sorry my anxious rant over.
Hopefully business class will get you the use of a decent lounge away from the madding crowds. Try to ease the anxiety by not rushing and not feeling that the (inevitable) queues are a problem.

Depending on the airport, use the queuing time to admire the work of the architects - which we mostly ignore as we rush through. This will be easier at Heathrow than Luton, admittedly. Avoid taking photos though

Not sure if moderate alcohol worsens or lessens things for you, but if a soothing glass of red helps then at least you get that in business.

Good luck. Focus on Tenerife and lounging in the sun

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:05 AM   #82
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Ps. You are not an idiot. Airports are stressful places and most feel varying forms of stress/anxiety around them - whether they are conscious of it or not.

PPS. Holiday flights in August - bound to be some interesting people watching opportunities, largely bad and some good

Appreciate 1
Wills28654.50
      08-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #83
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Well so far so good. I have managed not to make myself look like someone from an episode of banged up abroad.

South terminal at Gatwick is absolutely manic so pleased to have the comfort of the BA lounge to be honest. Although the anxiety did hit me more funnily enough again when I did sit down in the lounge. Had some food and a couple of glasses of wine and feel much better.

Off to the gate now.
Appreciate 4
Wills28654.50
simon.922.00
Soul_Glo13346.00
      08-14-2018, 06:38 AM   #84
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Good man, enjoy the trip and stay strong.
      08-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #85
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all for the support.

Ps. I have kept up with the therapy appointments on a 2-3 week basis. Not cheap at £75 a session. So far not feeling a massive improvement to be honest but I will stick with it. The therapist has mainly focused on hypnotherapy. We have just started with CBT and I have been given homework to on this. I've downloaded something on Amazon audio on CBT to listen to also when I am away. Also been told to keep up with the mindfulness mediation.

Talking on here massively helps also once in a while and I really appreciate the feedback on here even if it's just light hearted humour.

I know others on here have posted in regard to mental health issues so I hope you are all doing well?
Appreciate 2
Wills28654.50
      08-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #86
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Great to hear that you are still taking positive action and that you got through Gatwick largely unscathed! Have a great trip

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #87
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Thanks all for the support.

Ps. I have kept up with the therapy appointments on a 2-3 week basis. Not cheap at £75 a session. So far not feeling a massive improvement to be honest but I will stick with it. The therapist has mainly focused on hypnotherapy. We have just started with CBT and I have been given homework to on this. I've downloaded something on Amazon audio on CBT to listen to also when I am away. Also been told to keep up with the mindfulness mediation.

Talking on here massively helps also once in a while and I really appreciate the feedback on here even if it's just light hearted humour.

I know others on here have posted in regard to mental health issues so I hope you are all doing well?
CBT can work wonders. I had it few years back to deal with work stress and resulting insomnia. It honestly change my life and the person I am. It made me able to identify the root cause of the issues and deal with them in a way that I felt allowed me to take back control. Very, very empowering experience and it’s truly changed my life for the better.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #88
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

I had a wobble about 2 years ago, I couldn’t think straight, I couldn’t rationalise things and was suffering with headaches and insomnia.

It was not long after we had our second child, work was tough and I’d just committed to a big house project plus the wife and kids had gone to Spain to visit her parents.

I went to the doctors with the intention of getting some sleeping pills or something, anything.

He started talking to me and diagnosed stress and anxiety on the spot and signed me off for a month, not something I wanted and my first response was “I can’t I’ve got too much on in work!”

Anyway I had to take the month and felt much better for it, I did have counselling which kind of helped but I realised quickly what the trigger had been, a combination of the above.

I still get bouts and probably always will, they can often be brought on by too much alcohol and tiredness, if I act responsibly (which is tough in itself )then I tend to be pretty much ok.

Talking to my friends and family revealed that virtually every single one of the fellas I know have suffered to one degree or another.

As a parent to 2 boys it’s something I’m trying to instil in them that if they don’t feel right then they must talk to somebody, anybody.

I think I was pretty lucky really compared to an awful lot of other people.

Appreciate 3
simon.922.00
robwils759.00
OneExtra810.50