F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Overtaking Cyclists
GetBMWParts

08-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #67
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

A lot of slating of go-pros on cyclists from people who have or would like dash cams in their cars. Just a thought.

I can't be arsed but I should imagine the stats speak for themselves when it comes to incidences of bad driving / dangerous driving versus the same from cyclists.

The fact that the sportswear needed to cycle comfortably is the key driver for a lot of the hate - that speaks volumes. Do you also hate football players because their wear shin-pads? Or boxers because they use mouth guards?

In actual fact, it's those wearing the 'full gear' that are more likely to be considerate cyclists adhering to the rules of the road.
Appreciate 3
vtown99.00
JustChris17487.50
      08-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #68
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
How about the cyclists take a deep breath and think, just for one moment, their stupid inconsideate action may end their life? Or may be, ride defensively And taking a deep breath and try to be a decent person to allow a safe pass? It’s not always a motor driver to blame.
Like I said, a lot of a$$holes in here
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #69
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
I do think any cyclist using the public highways should have minimum 3rd party insurance.

I stick to the redways in MK (cycle paths). Much safer than the NSL duel carriageways & away from the car / lorry driving idiots.
I'm a road cyclist and I agree there should be insurance products out there, and that it should be mandatory for road cyclists to have it.

If I damaged a car through my own fault while cycling then I would pay. But until there's stipulation, I'm sure a lot wouldn't.

More importantly, check out the 23C cycling cafe in Stony. It's awesome and you can get there on the redways.
Cheers Robbo. I'll have a look
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #70
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
Yet it's ok for cyclists to overtake cars in slow-moving traffic, where there isn't enough gap for a 'safe-pass'?
No. But there is a big difference between a cyclist filtering past stationary traffic waiting at a junction / lights, and a car / van squeezing past a cyclist at 40mph, because they can't wait 20 seconds.
I said "slow-moving", not "stationary". Different kettle of fish.

Why can't cyclists wait 20 seconds?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #71
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
If some sort of regulation was introduced for cyclists such as insurance, training, protective clothing etc., how would you enforce it? Can't imagine an already overstretched police pulling over cyclists to run checks, and that's just cyclists on or near roads.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #72
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
If some sort of regulation was introduced for cyclists such as insurance, training, protective clothing etc., how would you enforce it? Can't imagine an already overstretched police pulling over cyclists to run checks, and that's just cyclists on or near roads.
Perhaps mandatory at new purchases like with motors? But I agree difficult to enforce aside from spot checks. But as I said, as a cyclist I would welcome mandatory insurance. My bike is worth more than a lot of cars I pass so it cuts both ways!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #73
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Some of the stuff that "some" drivers (take note 1AKY) come out with on forums is quite worrying. This is all ok, fairly civilised, a bit of banter and some mild trolling which is fine, but some of the stuff I've seen on various media outlets in particular is beyond the pale.

If any of us went on a public forum and ranted about wanting to kill or maim a particular segment of society (substitute 'cyclist' with 'Jew' or 'Muslim' or any other religious group or ethnic minority) then quite rightly they'd be getting a visit from some of TouringPleb's colleagues.

So why does it seem 'acceptable' for some drivers to be able to vent their spleen against cyclists in general?

I suppose it's partly down to what I might characterise as "internet keyboard warrior syndrome"

In all the years I've been riding I've only ever had a couple of run-ins with drivers, all of which were resolved at the roadside. Of course being an aggressive Scottish psychopath with a love of martial arts does help.....
Not sure why you're picking me out as I don't think I've said anything controversial. As far as I'm concerned both car drivers and cyclists (actually you can include moped drivers and pedestrians in that as well) should ALL refrain from being a hazard to each other. But in my experience, the Highway Code only applies to vehicle drivers and motorcyclists, as all others seem to have a death wish.

Question for Touringpleb: in the event of an accident where the car driver is not at fault, can a cyclist or pedestrian be prosecuted?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #74
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Some of the stuff that "some" drivers (take note 1AKY) come out with on forums is quite worrying. This is all ok, fairly civilised, a bit of banter and some mild trolling which is fine, but some of the stuff I've seen on various media outlets in particular is beyond the pale.

If any of us went on a public forum and ranted about wanting to kill or maim a particular segment of society (substitute 'cyclist' with 'Jew' or 'Muslim' or any other religious group or ethnic minority) then quite rightly they'd be getting a visit from some of TouringPleb's colleagues.

So why does it seem 'acceptable' for some drivers to be able to vent their spleen against cyclists in general?

I suppose it's partly down to what I might characterise as "internet keyboard warrior syndrome"

In all the years I've been riding I've only ever had a couple of run-ins with drivers, all of which were resolved at the roadside. Of course being an aggressive Scottish psychopath with a love of martial arts does help.....
Not sure why you're picking me out as I don't think I've said anything controversial. As far as I'm concerned both car drivers and cyclists (actually you can include moped drivers and pedestrians in that as well) should ALL refrain from being a hazard to each other. But in my experience, the Highway Code only applies to vehicle drivers and motorcyclists, as all others seem to have a death wish.

Question for Touringpleb: in the event of an accident where the car driver is not at fault, can a cyclist or pedestrian be prosecuted?
Yes. There are various offences cyclist can be charged with.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41028321
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #75
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

Sorry AKY wasn't meaning you were being controversial, I meant the use of "some" in reference to your earlier post. If anything, this thread is one of the least confrontational I've seen in a while.

I agree everyone should take a deep breath when things happen on the road and ask themselves if they could have behaved/reacted differently.

On the point about insurance, there are a lot of regular cyclists (myself included) who are members of British Cycling and have 3rd party liability insurance.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #76
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
I said "slow-moving", not "stationary". Different kettle of fish.

Why can't cyclists wait 20 seconds?
I can't recall the last time I saw a car being forced off the road by a passing cyclist. Really not sure what point you are trying to make.
Appreciate 1
vtown99.00
      08-24-2018, 12:54 AM   #77
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

It’s all too easy to judge an entire group by the actions of a few moronic individuals. Unfortunately that tends to be the way of things.

If you see some idiot on a bike RLJing or a ninja with no lights, then it’s the simplest thing to assume all cyclists behave in the same way and are “lycra louts”

Similarly there are plenty of instances where a driver passes too close, jumps lights, is on the phone or simply does a SMIDSY. This of course means that all drivers - and in particular BMW drivers - are arrogant dangerous cunts

In my experience the vast majority of drivers are courteous, careful and generally safe. It’s also my view that the same goes for the majority of cyclists.

As has been pointed out many times here and elsewhere, there will always and inevitably be the fuds who create a bad impression about their tribe, often whipped up by the gutter press like the Daily Hate.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 01:39 AM   #78
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I blame the OP.
      08-24-2018, 02:47 AM   #79
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I blame the OP.
Yes - classic case of 'ignite blue touch paper & retire to a safe distance'
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      08-24-2018, 03:16 AM   #80
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I blame the OP.
Yes - classic case of 'ignite blue touch paper & retire to a safe distance'
Did you really just say ..... Safe Distance

[IMG]https://media1.giphy.com/media/UlqLDtI8Qc0j6/200w.gif[/IMG]
      08-24-2018, 03:27 AM   #81
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

In any given week of driving, I experience a lot more inconsiderate car drivers and motorbike riders than cyclists. I was always taught that if you make another road user take evasive or mitigating action, you're doing it wrong.

It will be unpopular on here, but I experience a higher incidence of poor motorbike riding than cycling on my commute. Too often I see motorbikes weaving through traffic that is already going at the speed limit, undertaking, and forcing their way into the safe stopping distance between cars.

Cyclists and bike riders are vulnerable, and my issue is the small minority who outsource their safety to me by expecting me to accommodate their reckless or selfish behaviour. They are fewer in number and no worse than idiot car drivers, but the outcome of an accident is potentially worse.

Appreciate 2
vtown99.00
      08-24-2018, 04:16 AM   #82
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep

@bryans69 We were discussing the gap required between a car and cycle for a safe-pass. Other than due to the effects of a draught caused by the car, why should the gap be different based on who's overtaking who?

You didn't respond to my second question.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #83
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
@Alice Coupe you seem to think it's all about the cyclist getting out of your way so you can proceed merrily on your journey.

The onus is on the driver to wait for a safe place before making the overtake. If that means you have to wait 45 seconds or so, so be it.

Often the cyclist can't keep to the far left of the road. There's too many pot holes, often the the road simply falls away, there's debris, broken glass, drain covers etc etc.

When cyclists do stay to far left, motorists actually give them less room when passing thinking they don't need to pull out. There's been studies that show when cyclists take up a more defensive position, in the middle of the lane, motorists actually give them more room and go wider on the pass.
Not at all.
Trouble is, here a few get blinkered from the big picture and focus on a very particular point. They also fear to consider another opinions and like vtown just resort to the lowest common denominator of slander as they are not capable of a considered debate.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #84
Turbonut
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 330D Touring

Quote:

I had a coming together with a cyclist a couple of years back while driving my company car. Approaching a 90 degree right hand bend (at the bottom of a mile long downhill) a cyclist suddenly appeared and hit the side of my car. Fortunately he was ok, just winded and shaken up. However my initial concern turned to frustration when I examined his bike and found neither his front or rear brakes were working properly. I confronted him with this and his reply was he had a puncture and had to swap a wheel (he was riding a disc brake bike with an non disc wheel at the back, front brake was so badly adjusted there was no effective braking). I took pictures and informed the insurance. Damage to my car was over 3k - the insurance company apparently tried to chase the other party but apparently his response was 'take me to court, I can't pay...'. Frustrating as i'm now paying myself through increased premiums.

I'm a cyclist myself and would not ride on the road with no brakes, or no helmet. He was very lucky not to be seriously hurt. I think bikes should be roadworthy - there was a case in London a year or so back where a cyclist killed a pedestrian. Of course having an MOT for bikes isn't really workable, but there must be a deterrent to make sure people maintain their bikes properly. A minimum standard where brakes must be working and lights fitted when riding at night with penalties issued for those found to be in breach.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #85
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I always give cyclists loads of room however some really don't help themselves, I had an issue with one the other day, coming up a very steep bumpy tight country road I passed two and then came to a set of temporary traffic lights, one of them stopped behind me (the sensible one) but the other preceded to come up the inside of me and go in front for some bizarre reason as we were still on a 1-5 hill, why would you do that?
      08-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #86
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Proof that even nature hates cyclists

Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      08-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #87
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I always give cyclists loads of room however some really don't help themselves, I had an issue with one the other day, coming up a very steep bumpy tight country road I passed two and then came to a set of temporary traffic lights, one of them stopped behind me (the sensible one) but the other preceded to come up the inside of me and go in front for some bizarre reason as we were still on a 1-5 hill, why would you do that?
Now that, is just plain dumb.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #88
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_M4CP View Post
the pious lycra clad mong-tard
okay that made me laugh
Appreciate 0