F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 with BM3?
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
j.badwal
Private
9
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Manteca, CA

iTrader: (0)

JB4 with BM3?

Today, I just flashed my 335 with BM3 OTS Stage 2 91 map and it feels amazing compared to the JB4. I have been running JB4 for about 2 years now and finally decided to make the switch. I did some research trying to find out if you can run JB4 maps with BM3 but haven't really been able to find anything. I'm wondering is it possible or worth using say map 1 or 5 with the BM3 flash? If not I might as well just sell the JB4. I have FBO and am not looking to further upgrade the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
ronanz's Avatar
United_States
1695
Rep
2,561
Posts

Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southwest Region

iTrader: (3)

Has been discussed numerous times......

Either sell it or put in Map 0

.
__________________
.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
Fuel-It!
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
330
Rep
634
Posts


Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Phoenix AZ

iTrader: (0)

You can run JB4 maps with BM3. Just set options bit6 on for back end flash mode. Start with a log of map0 and post it and BMS can provide tuning advice for what map is the best fit for you based on the fuel being used, mods, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
j.badwal
Private
9
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Manteca, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Has been discussed numerous times......

Either sell it or put in Map 0

.
I've read multiple posts saying put it in Map 0 but there's no point to that aside from having the boost gauge right?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
j.badwal
Private
9
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Manteca, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
You can run JB4 maps with BM3. Just set options bit6 on for back end flash mode. Start with a log of map0 and post it and BMS can provide tuning advice for what map is the best fit for you based on the fuel being used, mods, etc.
Bit 6 is an option within BM3?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
ronanz's Avatar
United_States
1695
Rep
2,561
Posts

Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southwest Region

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.badwal View Post
I've read multiple posts saying put it in Map 0 but there's no point to that aside from having the boost gauge right?

Correct. Or future use as PI controller (which I'm sure Fuel-It would assist you with your PI purchase).

With the upcoming competitive HPFP options, you'll achieve the same fueling capabilities with DME tuning alone

.
__________________
.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
j.badwal
Private
9
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Manteca, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Correct. Or future use as PI controller (which I'm sure Fuel-It would assist you with your PI purchase).

With the upcoming competitive HPFP options, you'll achieve the same fueling capabilities with DME tuning alone

.
Okay that was helpful, thanks man. I'm not planning on going the meth route as I'm done modding my car so best bet would be to sell then right?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
ronanz's Avatar
United_States
1695
Rep
2,561
Posts

Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southwest Region

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.badwal View Post
Okay that was helpful, thanks man. I'm not planning on going the meth route as I'm done modding my car so best bet would be to sell then right?

Yes, that's what I personally did and would do .

.
__________________
.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
Fuel-It!
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
330
Rep
634
Posts


Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Phoenix AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.badwal View Post
Bit 6 is an option within BM3?
Option within JB4. You select map0 to start so the JB4 is not influencing tuning until someone can evaluate your tuning via JB4 logs. Alternatively you can also use BM3 to load free higher power JB4 back end flash maps. Most people use MHD to load them as it's cheaper but if you already have BM3 can use that too.

There is more power to be had and better features to be unlocked keeping the JB4 in the mix but just depends on your needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11326
Rep
124,072
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.badwal View Post
Today, I just flashed my 335 with BM3 OTS Stage 2 91 map and it feels amazing compared to the JB4. I have been running JB4 for about 2 years now and finally decided to make the switch. I did some research trying to find out if you can run JB4 maps with BM3 but haven't really been able to find anything. I'm wondering is it possible or worth using say map 1 or 5 with the BM3 flash? If not I might as well just sell the JB4. I have FBO and am not looking to further upgrade the car.
Since you already have it and BMS tuning is free, start by following Fuel-it advice.

If you dont like the results, sell it
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:21 AM   #11
iscran
New Member
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Option within JB4. You select map0 to start so the JB4 is not influencing tuning until someone can evaluate your tuning via JB4 logs. Alternatively you can also use BM3 to load free higher power JB4 back end flash maps. Most people use MHD to load them as it's cheaper but if you already have BM3 can use that too.

There is more power to be had and better features to be unlocked keeping the JB4 in the mix but just depends on your needs.
I was looking into this recently but couldn't find any clear info on how the Jb4 back end flash differs from the ones that you can get via BM3, any advice?

I'm running a JB4 in mode 4 (data logging only mode) so I can still get the boost on fuel gauge and the BM3 stage 2 backend flash. The vehicle is FBO N55 with EWG.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11326
Rep
124,072
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscran View Post
I was looking into this recently but couldn't find any clear info on how the Jb4 back end flash differs from the ones that you can get via BM3, any advice?

I'm running a JB4 in mode 4 (data logging only mode) so I can still get the boost on fuel gauge and the BM3 stage 2 backend flash. The vehicle is FBO N55 with EWG.
If the Jb4 is on map 4, its not doing any tuning so you do not need backend flash.

Backend flash means you are tuning the car so the JB4 controls boost and the flash tune like bm3 controls everything else

Unless you get a custom map , bm3 do not offer any OTS map which work in conjunction with a piggyback
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST