F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Training and exercise thread
Extreme Powerhouse

11-06-2020, 02:30 AM   #67
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Thanks flashollie along with the running it's the area I've made most 'gains'. I'm lucky/unlucky :/

- I seem to either pick up weight or add muscle quite quickly. Is that Endomorphic ? It's both annoying and a blessing depending. I guess also means I eat a bit!!

- Already had the home gym set up.

- I started a series of PT twice a week just before lockdown. It's with a guy I've worked with before so he knows my limits, strengths and how to push me. As you move to video this is key as it must be so difficult to convery technique to people

- Phase 1 As above my PT has set the programme for me and I would have ever come up with it myself. We cycle a 4 week programme, starts with weights in metabolic workout. In this I might be benching about 60% Max weight for a 12-15 reps, the no rest and straight into a trice or other exercise. This is lactic acid and strength. Each session in the week is based on push, or pull, legs or shoulders. I supplement this with my own running or cycling.

- Phase 2 this phase usually always in some way scares me so what as we go heavy. Reps alcove right down to sets of and jts 5 sets. Often it's a weight I think I can only do 3 reps at. There's a lot of rest between sets and on video it's a lot of chat. Usual runs in-between etc and I now will have a Yoga and core day

- Phase 3 is really just a week. In this it's 'ok' to attempt some kind of Max effort . Just like I have done with the Pull Ups there, it's vital this is after the heavy load lifting. I like this week, feel like it's payout time!! . Finishes with a bit of a e load week. This again is something on my own I would never have done.

The above has never actually been spelled out to me but I see the cycles happening....and for my needs at least it works well. In each week I also have. HIT session to keep weight down as my needs are overall CrossFit, if your needs are strength alone you would likely not use this.

Ok I'll conclude, long ramble there sorry, hopefully something was useful. Too may type errors to check

1) Future proof yourself and get your own kit. Might as well and it in theory will last forever, I don't see my Kettlebells ever losing weight or going out of fashion

2) Try to get some PT but to be meaningful, IMO you need 3-6 months to learn and find a way to replicate it yourself

Traditionally I've been terrible and kept almost the same routine
      11-08-2020, 02:54 AM   #68
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Thanks flashollie along with the running it's the area I've made most 'gains'. I'm lucky/unlucky :/

- I seem to either pick up weight or add muscle quite quickly. Is that Endomorphic ? It's both annoying and a blessing depending. I guess also means I eat a bit!!

- I started a series of PT twice a week just before lockdown. It's with a guy I've worked with before so he knows my limits, strengths and how to push me. As you move to video this is key as it must be so difficult to convery technique to people

- Phase 1 As above my PT has set the programme for me and I would have ever come up with it myself. We cycle a 4 week programme, starts with weights in metabolic workout. In this I might be benching about 60% Max weight for a 12-15 reps, the no rest and straight into a trice or other exercise. This is lactic acid and strength. Each session in the week is based on push, or pull, legs or shoulders. I supplement this with my own running or cycling.

- Phase 2 this phase usually always in some way scares me so what as we go heavy. Reps alcove right down to sets of and jts 5 sets. Often it's a weight I think I can only do 3 reps at. There's a lot of rest between sets and on video it's a lot of chat. Usual runs in-between etc and I now will have a Yoga and core day

- Phase 3 is really just a week. In this it's 'ok' to attempt some kind of Max effort . Just like I have done with the Pull Ups there, it's vital this is after the heavy load lifting. I like this week, feel like it's payout time!! . Finishes with a bit of a e load week. This again is something on my own I would never have done.

The above has never actually been spelled out to me but I see the cycles happening....and for my needs at least it works well. In each week I also have. HIT session to keep weight down as my needs are overall CrossFit, if your needs are strength alone you would likely not use this.

Ok I'll conclude, long ramble there sorry, hopefully something was useful. Too may type errors to check

1) Future proof yourself and get your own kit. Might as well and it in theory will last forever, I don't see my Kettlebells ever losing weight or going out of fashion

2) Try to get some PT but to be meaningful, IMO you need 3-6 months to learn and find a way to replicate it yourself

That's useful. Thank you. It certainly appears a more varied strategic and specific plan. As you you say it's not the sort of thing most people would come up with.
As I'm starting from scratch and I don't have PT on hand I'm going to get through a 4 weeek rotation of my sets with the exercise know well. I understand that and have the kit for it. Once I get some base strength I'll repeat that set structure with either some more weights or I can alter some of the exercises. There are numerous good demos on line. I like your suggestion to video yourself to confirm that the form is accurate. Then Ill try some of the sessions you mention.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-08-2020, 04:04 AM   #69
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
Quote:

That's useful. Thank you. It certainly appears a more varied strategic and specific plan. As you you say it's not the sort of thing most people would come up with.
As I'm starting from scratch and I don't have PT on hand I'm going to get through a 4 weeek rotation of my sets with the exercise know well. I understand that and have the kit for it. Once I get some base strength I'll repeat that set structure with either some more weights or I can alter some of the exercises. There are numerous good demos on line. I like your suggestion to video yourself to confirm that the form is accurate. Then Ill try some of the sessions you mention.
Good on you for bothering to read by the way! LOL my typing is dreadful.

One quick concept I grasped really easily and is good science.

As you move through the week's, don't always feel you have to 'up the weight'

There are a few ways to make the same weight more effort.

Change tempo - this is my favourite explosive rep of the effort phase 1count and the down 5count. Give you a nice longer load under tension. Very very produxtiive.

Less Rest between sets. Benefits endurance.

More reps. So rather than 6-10 for hypertrophy around for strength / endurance 12-15.

Just any variety breaks up a routine keeps you fresh and stops the body getting used to effort.
      11-08-2020, 06:35 AM   #70
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Good news for me today is that our work gyms are going to stay open during lockdown as they aren't open to the public.

Bad news is I can only use them on days I'm on duty so either before or after a 12hr shift which isn't ideal!

But is better than nothing.
Oooo that's tough after/after a12hr shift. Hope you can keep motivated and get some sessions in. I'm sure you'll do the obvious and plan workouts around using kit you don't have access to at home.

Last night I worked on back and went for a finisher of Weighted Pull Ups. Here's my lockdown progress since end of March:-

March 2020
I couldn't do a pull without assistance. This I was using bands maybe with assistance equivalent to about 20kg

Nov 2020
Using Kettle Bells, 4x16kgs possible then onto singles...16, 24, 32! Fail at 40 but new PB of pulling up me + 36kg of KettleBell.

Worthy of my first GIF This yellow is from a few weeks ago and it the 16k. Note: from watching this I've realised this technique is cheating somewhat on singles, legs used to boost, new technique I let go and hand first l, then up.

KEEP WORKING OUT FOLKS 💪🏻💪🏻👊🏻👊🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻[IMG]https://media1.giphy.com/media/lN9nB...;rid=giphy.gif[/IMG]
Great work there pal. As you said though best to go from full hang and try alternating hand placement.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #71
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

After feeling a bit under the weather on Friday, Saturday was viewed as a rest day.

Sunday was back on the rower, for probably one of my most loved (and hated !) workouts. It's a preset interval programme, which involves the following :
5 min warmup, then some stretches
1 min hard, 1 min easy
2 min hard, 2 min easy

Target pace for the intervals was anything under 1:57.

Ended up averaging 1:55.8 - felt hard, and I wasn't sure if I could hold that, with feeling crappy and having an elevated HR the 2 days before

This evening I put on the headtorch and trail shoes, and went out for a little run - only 2.6 miles, mix of tarmac, forest tracks and muddy paths, with the added entertainment of 400ft of climb in there too! Averaged 10:27 per mile, which I wasn't disappointed with
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #72
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
After feeling a bit under the weather on Friday, Saturday was viewed as a rest day.

Sunday was back on the rower, for probably one of my most loved (and hated !) workouts. It's a preset interval programme, which involves the following :
5 min warmup, then some stretches
1 min hard, 1 min easy
2 min hard, 2 min easy

Target pace for the intervals was anything under 1:57.

Ended up averaging 1:55.8 - felt hard, and I wasn't sure if I could hold that, with feeling crappy and having an elevated HR the 2 days before

This evening I put on the headtorch and trail shoes, and went out for a little run - only 2.6 miles, mix of tarmac, forest tracks and muddy paths, with the added entertainment of 400ft of climb in there too! Averaged 10:27 per mile, which I wasn't disappointed with
Hmm like that Rower workout Robbie. I'll be trying that sometime I've next got access to a rower.
      11-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #73
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Hmm like that Rower workout Robbie. I'll be trying that sometime I've next got access to a rower.
Another good rowing workout, especially if you don't like the monotony of just rowing for an extended period:

30 Minutes Steady State Row

Every 3 minutes get off the rower and perform 5 pull ups and 10 press ups.
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #74
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Good news for me today is that our work gyms are going to stay open during lockdown as they aren't open to the public.

Bad news is I can only use them on days I'm on duty so either before or after a 12hr shift which isn't ideal!

But is better than nothing.
Well, went into work today to find they've closed the gyms.

Apparently they felt they couldn't keep our gym open whilst closing down and ticketing public gyms. I guess they have a point..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #75
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Quote:
Another good rowing workout, especially if you don't like the monotony of just rowing for an extended period:

30 Minutes Steady State Row

Every 3 minutes get off the rower and perform 5 pull ups and 10 press ups.
Nice.

I used to do a warm up one with the C2 set to display the calorific effort rate:-

First minute 100-199 Calorie rowing
2nd 200-299
3rd 300-399

.. etc keep going up by 100C a minute

10th 1000-1099 calorie rate

15th 1500-1599

You keep going until you hit 3 strokes outside the range. Basically a psychotic ladder that you intend to end at Max effort failure. The start is painfully slow up to about 700Cals.
      11-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #76
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

While most of my rowing is LSD (long slow distance, rather than something that gets you tripping), I do like to test myself on the short sprint pieces occasionally.

Today was the turn of the 100m. The rule is you must start it from a static flywheel - which means that it's an absolute pig of a thing to get going up to speed, but you've got to do that in the first 2 strokes, otherwise any chance of a decent time is gone.

A decent warm up, some stretches, and then time to go for it.

Six attempts, the second being the fastest at 17.0 (1:25.1 split time). A PB for me by 0.4 seconds

Bear in mind that the world record for the 2000 meter event was rowed at a faster pace than I could do for 100m, they managed a 1:23.8 average split !
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #77
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nice.

I used to do a warm up one with the C2 set to display the calorific effort rate:-

2nd 200-299
3rd 300-399

15th 1500-1599

You keep going until you hit 3 strokes outside the range. Basically a psychotic ladder that you intend to end at Max effort failure. The start is painfully slow up to about 700Cals.
That sounds horrific.

The start is probably even worse than the finish !
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #78
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice.

2nd 200-299
3rd 300-399

15th 1500-1599

That sounds horrific.

The start is probably even worse than the finish !
I've been to 1600 not sure I could again
      11-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #79
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
2 hours of competitive badminton yesterday 7-9pm (Scotland still allows singles play)followed by homemade tikka masala and chapatis and smirnoff.
Slept like a log last night....
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #80
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Birthday treat from my PT guy!

✅ 5km mountain hike
✅ 12kg body vest
✅ 2x12kg water cans
✅ 20 stopping points each with a 26 reps exercise = 520 Reps
✅ No rest, just the joy of carrying everything up another 500m 😵

Slept well last night 😇😬 1.5hrs and 1800+ calories.
Attached Images

Last edited by JustChris; 11-13-2020 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #81
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Birthday treat from my PT guy!

✅ 5km mountain hike
✅ 12kg body vest
✅ 2x12kg water cans
✅ 20 stopping points each with a 26 reps exercise = 520 Reps
✅ No rest, just the joy of carrying everything up another 500m 😵

Slept well last night 😇😬 1.5hrs and 1800+ calories.
Unless I'm VERY mistaken, you were about 3 miles from my house when that pic was taken - I regularly run up there (I come at it from the North, whereas most people park at the car park South of there)
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #82
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Unless I'm VERY mistaken, you were about 3 miles from my house when that pic was taken - I regularly run up there (I come at it from the North, whereas most people park at the car park South of there)
Indeed, you'll know the routes too up at MF, I like the challenge of the steeper Purple route. The Garmin clocks the slopes at 40+ and 50+ degrees

Last edited by JustChris; 11-13-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:13 AM   #83
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

As you can see, conditions a bit different up there on Saturday !

A few of us went and ran a (horribly slow) half marathon on the hills - 2000+ ft of climb and drop, 2hrs 26 min
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-15-2020, 04:10 AM   #84
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
As you can see, conditions a bit different up there on Saturday !

A few of us went and ran a (horribly slow) half marathon on the hills - 2000+ ft of climb and drop, 2hrs 26 min
Looks familiar
      11-15-2020, 04:42 AM   #85
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Back in the zone now since the first lockdown , lost 14lb in the last six weeks by cutting out all mid-meal crap. Still minimal cardio , just decent duration dog walking.

Weights are increasing slowly but still not at pre-lockdown levels but are getting there.

Final set (of four) on Hammer strength machines , pre-lockdown in brackets:

Bench - 100kg (130)
Lat pulldowns - 160kg (160)
Flys - all plates (all)
Upright rows - nearly all plates (all)
Triceps single arm - 8 plates (8 -Smiths m/c)
Curls single arm - 37.5kg (40)
Shoulders 80kg (100)
Shrugs 200kg (200)

Right shoulder giving me jip so not wanting to push it too much flat bench and shoulder presses as i damaged it years ago and it took me ages to get back to any level of fitness.

Anyway off out for breakfast , gym tomorrow to burn off my French Toast / bacon and maple syrup.

K

Last edited by Kendo67; 11-15-2020 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-20-2020, 05:23 AM   #86
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

At the gym yesterday and was asked if i wanted to borrow any of the equipment over our impending three week lockdown that starts tonight.

Filled out my requirements and will find out later if my request has been successful once all the tickets have been looked at.

Good to see the gym are thinking about their members requirements during LD .

K
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #87
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I started this thread with a (just) failure to break 1:30 for the half marathon on the C2 rower

Apologies for the sideways picture, I had another go on Saturday

1:29:38.2 - and average pace of 2:07.4

Only 1.1 seconds / 500m faster than the last time, looks like the continuing training has been paying off !

Name:  IMG_1651[1].jpg
Views: 174
Size:  264.4 KB
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
Craig-SM324.50
      12-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #88
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Only 1.1 seconds / 500m faster than the last time, looks like the continuing training has been paying off !
Training's a bastard and most of the time, a disappointment! If it's any consolation I went back to climbing last week for the first time since the end of February. Wow, that was hard work. The last time I climbed indoors I was on sighting 7a's at the local 25m wall (an element of endurance builds the grade there tbh) and projecting some 7b's. And the struggle on day one of being back? A slightly overhanging 6b

We actually got a day outside on rock last weekend too which was cool...polished, worn out limestone on a slightly smeggy and damp day but still, it was climbing outside on rock. Imagine climbing on a bar of soap. Suffice to say I declined leading anything, although my mate led a few E1's that I seconded (and even that felt awkward for the first two routes while I found my head!).
Appreciate 0