F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Struck by the global semiconductor shortage..
GetBMWParts

06-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #89
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

So, the original car that I ordered has turned up at the dealers now and so I went over to have a look yesterday... Have to say that it did look awesome in it's bright blue and I was, overall, happy with the choices that I had made in terms of privacy glass, wheels etc etc...

The new one will have the HK sound and most of the comfort pack that was dropped from that original order, of course...

Dealer has already sold the original order to a new buyer...

Seems that they are expecting less allocations moving through the year (after the next batch in a month or so's time, I don't think they are expecting more for a couple of months.... They are talking of some models not being available until at leats next year now... They are also hinting that deals are less favourable...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #90
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Anyone have an idea when this shortage may be over and some normality to pricing and availability will return?

My current car is due to go back in June 2022, although I expect to be able to extend to Dec 22. Surely 18 months is enough for them to get their shit together…

Currently the only deal of the slightest interest is on a 745e £710 on a 1+35 PCH
https://www.leaseloco.com/car-leasin...2-36-10000-1-0
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:51 AM   #91
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Anyone have an idea when this shortage may be over and some normality to pricing and availability will return?

My current car is due to go back in June 2022, although I expect to be able to extend to Dec 22. Surely 18 months is enough for them to get their shit together…

Currently the only deal of the slightest interest is on a 745e £710 on a 1+35 PCH
Surely not JD6, you will be going from one of the best looking cars on the road to one of the ugliest !!!
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-20-2021, 05:32 AM   #92
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

The way somebody was talking to me the other day, if you want certain cars in 2022 (particularly if your spec is likely to be not one they would order as stock) then you'd be as well opening discussions with dealers now...

I think, if I heard correctly, that some orders that are already in, and have been for a while, are not now expected for build/delivery until 2022... and for dealers who have now already sold their existing allocations, the next build allocations are not due (again, if I heard correctly) until September...

My guess is that, regardless of how quickly the chip availability improves, it will be at least 18 months to get back on track in terms of order timescales etc... as they will be clearing a backlog, first... and that assumes the chip industry gets back on track soon...

Longer term, my guess is the chip industry will move to a model less reliant on single big suppliers and establish smaller factories in diverse locations... I suspect it has been caught out by this...

Quote:
Are those cars actually available though..? Even to order..?
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-20-2021, 08:14 AM   #93
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Surely not JD6, you will be going from one of the best looking cars on the road to one of the ugliest !!!
You do have a point! The 8 is a thing of beauty, and the 7, well...

It's really just the grille on the 7 that makes it look like that. The rest is fine to my eyes. It would have to be in a colour which minimises the grille - I saw a Donnington Grey with black grille which looked OK.

The thing I like about the 7 is the level of luxury - Comfort Seats with Nappa are very special, and the ride in the 7 is much smoother than the 8. That said, I would miss the handling which is impressive for a big beast.

Another 8 could be on the cards if I can find a decent offer.
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      06-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #94
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
The way somebody was talking to me the other day, if you want certain cars in 2022 (particularly if your spec is likely to be not one they would order as stock) then you'd be as well opening discussions with dealers now...

Are those cars actually available though..? Even to order..?
The thing about the 7 or 8 on lease deals is the spec is good enough that I can manage without options so hopefully that makes it easier.

I have no idea whether these are actually available. Given that lease deals are still being updated every week or two, I assume they are, otherwise what would be the point in updating

I'm not keen on getting a deal at what I see as the high watermark of pricing currently. I'd rather wait a year and if that means there are no cars available then I guess I'll just have the Mini until some kind of normality returns.
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      06-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #95
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
You do have a point! The 8 is a thing of beauty, and the 7, well...

It's really just the grille on the 7 that makes it look like that. The rest is fine to my eyes. It would have to be in a colour which minimises the grille - I saw a Donnington Grey with black grille which looked OK.

The thing I like about the 7 is the level of luxury - Comfort Seats with Nappa are very special, and the ride in the 7 is much smoother than the 8. That said, I would miss the handling which is impressive for a big beast.

Another 8 could be on the cards if I can find a decent offer.
I had to take out the PCP deal on the 8 series but I paid it off within a week of delivery, if my mind serves me correctly they were quoting £625 ish per month on mine with a £1k deposit and I had a couple of grands worth of options.

just found this which doesnt look too bad...... you will have to check that the 'Shrunken One' lets you over the border to collect it though

https://www.john-clark.co.uk/bmw/new...0i-gran-coupe/
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-20-2021, 02:58 PM   #96
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The thing about the 7 or 8 on lease deals is the spec is good enough that I can manage without options so hopefully that makes it easier.

I have no idea whether these are actually available. Given that lease deals are still being updated every week or two, I assume they are, otherwise what would be the point in updating

I'm not keen on getting a deal at what I see as the high watermark of pricing currently. I'd rather wait a year and if that means there are no cars available then I guess I'll just have the Mini until some kind of normality returns.
Yeah, I got lucky when I did my 1-er deal as you could get decent discounts that made them feel like you were getting a deal, even with a big spec... No way I could strike the same deal now so am not too bothered about having to re-order (kept the same discounts) and wait a few weeks extra for "my" car...

The bonus was the Golf going into a fairly good place with its finance in the interim, so it felt like the deal for me got even better...

I lucked into a sweet spot by going in to do a deal the first week after lockdown in April...
Appreciate 0