F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Buying AUC from dealer
GetBMWParts

01-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
SEW247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335dX in early March

Buying AUC from dealer

I’d be interested to hear about people’s thoughts buying AUC from dealer.

The dealer I spoke to went through this whole spiel about how the prices on their website are final and non negotiable! Said something about how they are calculated andset (cant remember the system they use) and that they are not allowed to discount unless the car stays in stock for too long.

What are other people’s experiences?! No way I’m going to buy at their advertised price. I think I’m going to make a take it or leave it offer and leave it with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
SEW247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335dX in early March

Also can i play the “I’ll take it on your ridiculously overpriced 12% PCP if you give me xxx discount” and then pay it off in full the next week?! (Has anyone done this?)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

There is nothing non-negotiable about an AUC car

I got around £500 off mine a few years ago

It's up to the dealer if he wants to negotiate, if not then it's up to you if you pay the price. My guess is that if you walk away they will almost definitely call you back the following day with a better offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

[QUOTE=SEW247;24224603]Also can i play the “I’ll take it on your ridiculously overpriced 12% PCP if you give me xxx discount” and then pay it off in full the next week?! (Has anyone done this?)[/QUOTE

Yes I've done this on new 3 series. You have the 14 day period to cancel as of right - the dealer can do nothing about this ITS THE LAW. Indeed you will deal direct with the finance company eg BMW finance in the clearance of the debt - it may cost you a few days interest of course say £28 in my case.

There are several others who have done this as well with no comebacks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36

I got 500 off an AUC 440i this summer
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

I got £650 off AUC from stratstones a few years ago
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
I got £450 off an AUC & finance down to 6.9%.

I always refuse to be dictated to by a dealer, it’s a negotiation process.
Appreciate 2
Lincoln61746.50
willjames709.00
      01-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEW247 View Post
Also can i play the “I’ll take it on your ridiculously overpriced 12% PCP if you give me xxx discount” and then pay it off in full the next week?! (Has anyone done this?)
I did it.

I got some money off the car, service pack, rubber mats and boot tray, full tank of fuel, If I took out the 10.4% PCP!!!! I paid it off the next day.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

I got a lump off when I purchased my 320D M Sport a couple of years ago, but it was hard work.

I bought late August & if they held onto the car another couple of weeks it would have been past the new reg date, in my mind that made it less attractive to them.

I had the usual bullshit about hardly any margin in it, apparently because it was one of their demo / managers cars they couldn’t reduce price much more than a token £200 or something.

Can’t remember exactly what the car was advertised for but it was at least £1k I got off, car was still overpriced though but had the spec on it I wanted.

Dealership was a fair way away & I did all the negotiation over the phone before seeing the car, sounds a bit backward doing that way but negotiating was easier & I had a set amount I was willing to pay. Also, if I had viewed the car & then started negotiating at the dealership, they would know that there was no way I would go home empty handed considering the mileage I had travelled to view.

Did the deal as car was as expected & very little hassle when I viewed the car as the negotiation had already been done. Managed to get delivery, touch in pen & umbrella thrown in too.

All good until they delivered it damaged, but that’s a different story...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

It varies. I think some cars are priced about right as dealership prices go and sometimes they are over priced. Non negotiable prices lose customers but some dealers don't care. BMW in Cardiff had a cracking 340i several months ago... I called... "we'll pay for your hotel stay sir... complimentary champagne." That's all well but the car is slightly over priced... "there is no profit in it for us sir."

I wish my wife had taken the sales manual when she worked for BMW. They get idiot proof training on how to low ball customers use reverse psychology and all sorts. What to say if a customer asks for X amount off.

The attitude of waiting it out and knowing the car will sell doesn't always work. It puts customers off. I have had blunt responses such as.. if you don't want it then it will sell.

There is a certain level of psychology most definitely involved. If they know you want the car they will make you jump through hoops for sure.

My first AUC was a nightmare but for some reason I still enjoyed the ownership for the most part. The second and third have been better.

The brand is being let down by its outsourced customer service. Those spotty faced teenagers in Summit One who are just young, dumb and, full of cum.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Yes you can, and yes I did.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Quote:
Yes you can, and yes I did.
Yes you can, got a grand off my 330d a couple of years ago
Although I've lost out on a couple of F80s in recent weeks as I've tried to play hardball
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #13
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

Its probably where your own research comes into play. There are some over priced cars and some bargains. If you know the market price for what you want and a specific spec it will help.

Personally I do my searching and if its a good price I wont be so hard on the dealer. Although remember if you are having to go to a higher price for the spec you are after supply and demand say its priced right, and the dealers know this.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #14
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
There is nothing non-negotiable about an AUC car

I got around £500 off mine a few years ago

It's up to the dealer if he wants to negotiate, if not then it's up to you if you pay the price. My guess is that if you walk away they will almost definitely call you back the following day with a better offer.
Same, although all they did was up the offer on my previous cat by £850
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

We (myself & family) have bought four AUC cars over the past couple of years from 3 different dealerships.

They do try to say the prices are fixed or ‘extremely competitive’. Best to do your research and compare with other similar vehicles across the BMW network.

It’s highly unlikely you’ll get 1000’s off, £500 or so is more likely plus look at getting any dealer fit accessories thrown in our discounted. If you have a private plate perhaps get them to throw in an extra set of plates for when you transfer the number over.

If you have a part ex then you have the whole game or what they can squeeze out of you at that end of the deal too!

As I said, research as much as possible take printouts or similar vehicles in the network and point this out to them. If it happens to be your local dealer make it clear that you’d prefer to deal with them.

You’ll find some cars appear to go very quickly whilst others sit around for a number of weeks. Occasionally they’ll disappear then pop up at a different dealership.

A friend of mine recently called about an AUC car but by the time he spoke the price had gone up! He had a screenshot of the original ad but they refused to honour it as they said they review the market and have priced it accurately for the spec / mileage!

Some dealers would honour the lower price in this type of situation but it all depends upon how much margin they have.

On a similar note when we enquired about an AUc car at Farnborough a couple of months ago I emailed my interest on the vehicle. By the time the sales guy called me back the next day and sent the video I was surprised to see that the price had already been cut by £500 . Again I had a print out of the advert at the higher price, naturally I wouldn’t show that if I had gone to negotiate on that one !!!

Last edited by C320; 01-11-2019 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #16
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Im gonna guess this is Stratstone saying they wont price match.

You can get a deal, I got the £2k off as I could have taken finance and then got a further grand off to seal the deal.

The higher road tax absolutely tanked my budget numbers, but I still enjoy the car,

Remember anything over £40k new is an extra £310/320 on the road tax for first five years from second road tax.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #17
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Oh and if you need to finance it, you can push them hard on the rate. The rate on AUC is appalling but it is negotiable. Also look at alternate funding sources.

Negotiating via email or phone also helps too as you’re on your own territory. Finally timing is important too, try to work your negotiations towards the end of the month or sales quarter.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #18
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
Its probably where your own research comes into play. There are some over priced cars and some bargains. If you know the market price for what you want and a specific spec it will help.

Personally I do my searching and if its a good price I wont be so hard on the dealer. Although remember if you are having to go to a higher price for the spec you are after supply and demand say its priced right, and the dealers know this.
Yeah, I’d agree with that. My 6 was the exact spec and was fairly reasonably priced.
      01-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #19
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Don't think for one second just because its an AUC it will be mint with a perfect history. I've seen some cars that were a right mess and still considered AUC. Friend of mine that had a M135i stolen recovered twice in the space of 3 months, it had major work done including windows replaced and nearly a full respray, part ex'd it with sytner and they sold it on as an AUC.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #20
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

I got £500 off the screen price of my used F32 last summer , they matched the price of an identical car from another local main dealer, i also got around £1500 more than i was expecting for my trade-in plus they threw in the paint protection FOC

They also paid for my return train traveling expenses from Glasgow -> Manchester.

So , yes their price is potentially negotiable dependent on how many people they have interested in a particular car or how many similar cars are for sale locally.

Kenny
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #21
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

I've bought a few AUCs but not really had that much success in getting any meaningful discounts. After I realised the level of discounts available on new cars I gave up on AUCs as I could usually drive away in a new car for less, or at least not much more, than a "nearly new" AUC.

There's always exceptions of course - I've seen the odd cracking deal come up (usually when I'm not looking to buy) but in general buying an AUC is hard work IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:57 PM   #22
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

It all depends on the individual dealer & car in question like some have already said. Cooper BMW Sunderland wouldn’t budge on price on a 440 last year but it still sold a few days later to somebody else, then a few weeks later a similar 440 came in as a part ex at a Williams BMW Manchester & I bought it the next day. The car was a couple of grand cheaper than the one in Sunderland, they gave me another £500 off the price, a 3k interest free loan over 2 years & a very good trade price on my old E92. Just do your research & know what you should be paying in the first place.
Appreciate 0