F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Help w/Extended Warranty
Extreme Powerhouse

02-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Help w/Extended Warranty

My factory warranty expires at the end of the month (2015 328d xDrive ~37k miles). I was considering extending to a 7 year/75k mile powertrain plus through BMW in order to still get road side assistance and have my transfer case covered for the next 3 years.

Before I do so I was curious what sort of extended warranties people are getting and how much they are paying for them. Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Are you a member of a credit union? Most credit unions offer similar coverage (mechanical breakdown protection) for a lot less.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Are you a member of a credit union? Most credit unions offer similar coverage (mechanical breakdown protection) for a lot less.
I'm kinda turned off by the idea of a 3rd party providing insurance even if it is cheaper. If I go through bmw, yeah I may pay more but claim denial shouldn't be a problem I'll ever encounter. I also won't have to submit any claims, I can just bring the car to any dealer and be done right there. Just seems easier.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Alexander502
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I'm kinda turned off by the idea of a 3rd party providing insurance even if it is cheaper. If I go through bmw, yeah I may pay more but claim denial shouldn't be a problem I'll ever encounter. I also won't have to submit any claims, I can just bring the car to any dealer and be done right there. Just seems easier.
I just bought an aftermarket warranty (Freedom Warranty) that covers me an additional 84 months and 100,000 miles. It was about $3700. I'm going to experience my first encounter with them tomorrow. My electronic door lock actuator failed and it's getting dropped off at a local Indy. The Indy suggested I call the warranty company to confirm that the part would be covered. It is. Any visit to an Indy for covered service requires a $100 deductible.

Just to clarify another point I learned through this process... as the consumer we are not responsible for filing the claim. Once we drop the car off the Indy will take over from there and file the claim for you with the warranty company. Super easy.

The last point to cover which is really important... read the contract you are purchasing first. Even though my warranty is bumper-to-bumper there are a myriad of parts they do not cover.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      02-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
Alexander502
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M Sport 6mt

I should also mention that my driver's door had a failure on the electronic door lock actuator. Dropped the car off at the Indy yesterday. Made the claim and pick my car up later today. I've never had a new car under warranty so I cannot speak on what it's like when you have a new car warranty. My Indy contacted the warranty company and made the claim. They sent the claim to an underwriter and approved it this morning. All set and just waiting on the actuator to be installed. There's a $100 deductible when you have a claim but that's better than the $600-700 repair cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander502 View Post
I should also mention that my driver's door had a failure on the electronic door lock actuator. Dropped the car off at the Indy yesterday. Made the claim and pick my car up later today. I've never had a new car under warranty so I cannot speak on what it's like when you have a new car warranty. My Indy contacted the warranty company and made the claim. They sent the claim to an underwriter and approved it this morning. All set and just waiting on the actuator to be installed. There's a $100 deductible when you have a claim but that's better than the $600-700 repair cost.
Thanks for the update. I went to my dealer this morning and was quoted 3800 for a 3 year 75k mile powertrain warranty so I passed on it. Unless my transfer case takes a shit I don't see myself spending that much money on repairs in the next 3 years. Currently doing my research on 3rd party companies but they all have their share of terrible reviews. Might just roll the dice and not get one.