F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Why is F30 suspension really so poor?
proTUNING Freaks

02-19-2019, 03:44 AM   #1
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Why is F30 suspension really so poor?

Ok, so I've always maintained I am satisfied with the suspension on my 330d xDrive. Yes it's a bit wallowy and there is a bit of body roll but thought it was OK.

So today I've got a 116d M Sport Shadow Edition as a courtesy car. Dire engine and gearbox aside, the car drives SO much better than my 3 series. Now I get the 1er is smaller and will feel more agile but the huge surprise to me is how much more compliant the drive is(wheels on both cars 18" and runflats). It is so much smoother over humps and bumps yet is sharper to turn in and has less body roll. So the question is, how did they get it so wrong on the 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:48 AM   #2
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I agree, but you are comparing 3 Series SE suspension with 1 Series M Sport suspension. For an enthusiastic driver, SE suspension just is no good at all. Even 3 Series M Sport suspension is mediocre, but a decent improvement on SE

The 116d also has a 3 cylinder 1.5 litre engine and no xDrive so much less weight at the front.

@Lorcan will be along shortly...
Appreciate 1
Lorcan3609.00
      02-19-2019, 03:51 AM   #3
330XDave
Major
Rep

I get that bit, but how have they managed to combine sharper handling with more comfort!?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:00 AM   #4
sunjas
sunjas
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 325d SE Auto

I find the standard suspension set up on my 325d SE pretty poor.

It wallows and pitches as soon as it hits a bump and never feels stable.

More comfortable cruising on the motorway.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #5
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Hi Dave

You need to blag a run out in a 330d s drive with msport springs. There is little point in running a comparison with a car that is on a different platform and engine.

Once you have compared that then try and blag a ride I n something that has had an after market set up; again tho with a 3.0 lump.

You may feel it’s not worth going the whole hog or just upgrade the springs. You may decide actually for you the cost benefit doesn’t stack up.

If I’m honest I find my s drive in standard m sport ok for most of the time, although admit it’s not perfect; however don’t wanna get into upgrading suspension. I know I’ll get shot down here but I don’t like the look of some of the cars on here that have been dropped below m sport height. Just my personal opinion. I personally found the SE set up very poor and it’s the reason I’m in a 330d and not a 335d. It all depends on what you want out if the car and what your prepared to live with.

Just my thoughts...
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 04:22 AM   #6
330XDave
Major
Rep

Thanks for the input, however I think you are all missing the point a little. I get that sDrive is different, aftermarket is different again blah blah blah, what I don't get it is how my car is somehow fidgety over poor surfaces AND doesn't handle all that well, yet another car is more comfortable and handles better. I could understand if the ride of my 330d xDrive was plush at the expensive of dynamics but it's not.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:31 AM   #7
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

I have M-Sport adaptive suspension on my 3 series and find that it is very good.

I recently drove a nearly new 3 series with standard M-Sport suspension and was expecting a rough ride but was pleasantly surprised. It was a little firmer than my 'comfort' mode but not as firm as my 'sport' mode. Overall though I could have lived quite happily with it.

I think the problem is with the SE suspension and not the F30 suspension per se.
Appreciate 1
goodbyalfa1055.00
      02-19-2019, 04:32 AM   #8
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
I have M-Sport adaptive suspension on my 3 series and find that it is very good.

I recently drove a nearly new 3 series with standard M-Sport suspension and was expecting a rough ride but was pleasantly surprised. It was a little firmer than my 'comfort' mode but not as firm as my 'sport' mode. Overall though I could have lived quite happily with it.

I think the problem is with the SE suspension and not the F30 suspension per se.
So are we saying SE suspension is actually less compliant than M Sport?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:57 AM   #9
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
I am saying that they didn't get it wrong on all of the 3 series. You say, you think the M-Sport suspension feels much better than the SE suspension....I agree. In both passive and adaptive it drives well, not wollowy and not too firm it rattles your teeth.

So the M-Sport has a better set up of springs and dampers as a combination.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:07 AM   #10
Iyrix
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d & 335i

I've adaptive suspension on my 335i, love it. Standard M sport suspension on my 330, pretty happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:12 AM   #11
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyrix View Post
I've adaptive suspension on my 335i, love it. Standard M sport suspension on my 330, pretty happy with it.
My thoughts exactly...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:09 AM   #12
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

I've got adaptive M sport on my F36 and love it!
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5876.00
      02-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Thanks for the input, however I think you are all missing the point a little. I get that sDrive is different, aftermarket is different again blah blah blah, what I don't get it is how my car is somehow fidgety over poor surfaces AND doesn't handle all that well, yet another car is more comfortable and handles better. I could understand if the ride of my 330d xDrive was plush at the expensive of dynamics but it's not.
Lots of variables and compromises, across different models. Plus what you are experiencing is not a new thing, E9x models had massive differences across the range, all according to specification. Some felt totally "un 3-series" like.

What is different in the 1-series? Weight makes a big difference. Although a firmer riding M-sport, I suspect the lighter chassis allows the spring rate to be better balanced to comfort but controlled damping. Are the tyres the same brand, even if both on 18" rims? That could be one factor. Some setups are just better than others, more the 'sweet spot' for our type of ride.

The 335d on passive suspension is a mixed bag. You have a touring, rear spring rate is quite high, even as an SE, damping is compromised to cover a wide range of use.

Was the same in the E91, M-sport way far too firm/harsh. SE made the rear very uncomfortable when the suspension had to work harder. Instead of the crashing, (M-sport), SE was all jiggly. Damping was and is, IMO, still the main issue. I know users fit stiffer springs which helps roll, but that doesn't mean it is the best approach to improve the comfort of the suspension.

I know in my E91 on SE suspension, improved damping made it a much better chassis, both for handling and comfort. Springs required better control. Spring rate was pretty good, didn't need anything stiffer for just driver, or driver and passenger use.
Appreciate 1
rich100874.50
      02-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
In my experience it is not as simple as talking of compliance, but I would say some combinations of BMW suspension and wheels, "yes", M-sport offers the better chassis dynamics. The ride frequency is higher, but the chassis/wheel control is better.

We had this in the E9x models, particularly noticed when BMW moved to Bilstein dampers for the M-sport suspension, part way through production. Some of us noticed how much better the M-sport suspension was, than the SE suspension of the same period. The better chassis control made the car much more comfortable. I remember driving a late model E91 325d M-sport touring on 18" Michelin PS2 ZP tyres. Was hard to believe how good it was, compared to any other E9x model I'd driven. Nothing like any of the earlier combinations, whatever the suspension/wheel setup.

Highlights how different we may find a chassis, not always making any real sense, as to why one is better than the other.
Appreciate 1
rich100874.50
      02-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #15
330Stevie
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My point was that you’ll need to try them to make an informed decision as you are starting from a low base IMO. Youve bought a 330dx; you had a test drive and you obviously didn’t feel it was compromised in its handling?

Identifying that a smaller lighter car with better suspension delivers a different ride experience.......... The design brief and laws of physics would be a given that it would be that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #16
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

There is no doubt the xdrive suspension is softer and the ground clearance is 15mm higher. I understand that BMW assumed that folks were buying xdrive for more countryside settings hence the higher ground clearance and softer ride. It suits me fine down here in the somerset sticks but it does look less sporty especially looking at wheel arch height.
      02-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Stevie View Post
My point was that you’ll need to try them to make an informed decision as you are starting from a low base IMO. Youve bought a 330dx; you had a test drive and you obviously didn’t feel it was compromised in its handling?

Identifying that a smaller lighter car with better suspension delivers a different ride experience.......... The design brief and laws of physics would be a given that it would be that way.
80 prc of folks here are running custom suspension setup (most only springs but still). What does it tell you?

I had all variations of 3 series and found no love. Comfort / Adaptive dumping is ruined by wind noise and various creaks. In sporty modes car feel wobbly as fook and completely disconnected from road. On fast bends I am literally touching tarmac with side mirrors. Not so much of ultimate driving machine. Having said that its miles better than MB
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #18
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
80 prc of folks here are running custom suspension setup (most only springs but still). What does it tell you?

I had all variations of 3 series and found no love. Comfort / Adaptive dumping is ruined by wind noise and various creaks. In sporty modes car feel wobbly as fook and completely disconnected from road. On fast bends I am literally touching tarmac with side mirrors. Not so much of ultimate driving machine. Having said that its miles better than MB
Not sure its 80% spring changes amongst members but will agree that my BMW xdrive feels soooo much more secure that the Mercedes I had before. Yes its a little spongy but when the mood takes me I can have a rip roaring time scooting around the bumpy bends here in the somerset wilds, the BMW feels so much more planted. Brings a smile to the old fuzzy visage every time, best car I have ever owned!
      02-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #19
330Stevie
Captain
Rep

Quote:

80% ?

Personally I couldn’t live with the X drive set up; I find m sport ok for most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #20
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
May I make a recommendation?

Assuming your suspension is bit tired (and has a few thousand KM's on it)...

I would make a bet that a fresh set of BILSTEIN B4, comibined with your OEM xDrive dampers... would make a world of difference.

I would be careful about changing things too much with the xDrive. A fresh set of better than OEM dampers would surely stabilize your ride.

If I owned an xDrive F30/F31- this is one hundred percent the route I would be going (with OEM Msport springs).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #21
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Stevie View Post
80% ?

Personally I couldn’t live with the X drive set up; I find m sport ok for most of the time.
perhaps exaggerated a bit with 80 % but you get the point.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #22
330Stevie
Captain
Rep

Quote:
perhaps exaggerated a bit with 80 % but you get the point.
Indeed, to be fair im not disagreeing;.... wasn’t my OP.
Appreciate 0