F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Oil Cooler?
proTUNING Freaks

11-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Oil Cooler?

Over thanksgiving I was talking with my cousin who works on cars for a living. His overall vehicle IQ is much higher than mine, and I was asking him for tips on keeping my F30 N20 happy.

So he mentioned getting an "Oil Cooler kit" and a "spin on oil filter conversion."
Also "water meth injection."

Can someone break this down as to whether or not these items apply to my F30 N20 - 35k miles / 2013. I live in Florida where it's hot and humid as you know, and my next purchase was going to be an intercooler. But as usual still weighing various options.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Your car already has an oil cooler, and a spin on filter is a particularly bad idea. One of the nicer attributes of the BMW engine is the ease with which the oil filter can be changed without going under the car, or dripping oil all over the place. Water meth injection? Really? Do you plan on hitting the local drag strip?
My guess is that his vehicle IQ isn't all that great, it just seems that way to you because he knows more than you do, for now. You can fix that.
Appreciate 1
IraHayes154.00
      11-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Over thanksgiving I was talking with my cousin who works on cars for a living. His overall vehicle IQ is much higher than mine, and I was asking him for tips on keeping my F30 N20 happy.

So he mentioned getting an "Oil Cooler kit" and a "spin on oil filter conversion."
Also "water meth injection."

Can someone break this down as to whether or not these items apply to my F30 N20 - 35k miles / 2013. I live in Florida where it's hot and humid as you know, and my next purchase was going to be an intercooler. But as usual still weighing various options.

Thanks
A spin on oil filter conversion is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard... no perceived benefit, whatsoever?!

The oil cooler isnt the worst idea if you are planning to push the car past stock performance levels but as mentioned above, the N20 comes with a small one from the factory. This is sufficient for the vast majority of people... stock or FBO.

I dont have a comment on WMI but kinda sounds like overkill unless you're literally turning the car into a track car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you both for clarifying. I'll stick with the intercooler next then.

I always run 93 octane - I have JB+ turned up to 85%, I don't drive it that hard but it performs much better with sport+ (recent coding). Other than that I have a catless downpipe. K&N drop in.

The weather is nice now here, but soon it will be 90's+ every day, so looking for ways to keep things cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Water meth injection? Really? Do you plan on hitting the local drag strip?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
If you're looking for reliability with JB+ then I recommend an upgraded charge pipe. Better to get one now than wait until the stock one fails.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      11-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
If you're looking for reliability with JB+ then I recommend an upgraded charge pipe. Better to get one now than wait until the stock one fails.
I've read conflicting opinions on this for my yr/model - however, I agree better to be safe, that will be my next mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 04:37 AM   #7
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Get the charge pipe if you don't have it. We have a section dedicated for the N20 engine, check it out

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Copy that ty
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

The beauty of the BMW/Mercedes open style filters is that you can actually inspect the filter and see how dirty it is/how well it is performing. If you wanted to, you can even run a magnet between the pleats and see if it picks up any metal shavings. Try that with a can style filter.

If you want to improve cooling capacity, "M" cars, and 3 series cars with the "M sport" package come equipped with an auxillary radiator mounted just forward of the driver side front tire inside the wheel well. Maybe look into what it would take to retrofit one to your car. I've been considering it myself, as I live in SoCal and spend a lot of hours sitting in bumper to bumper traffic; not the best thing for a car, especially during triple digit summer temps.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0649

As for the oil cooler, as others have mentioned, there is one in the form of a heat exchanger mounted directly to the oil filter housing.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
The beauty of the BMW/Mercedes open style filters is that you can actually inspect the filter and see how dirty it is/how well it is performing. If you wanted to, you can even run a magnet between the pleats and see if it picks up any metal shavings. Try that with a can style filter.

If you want to improve cooling capacity, "M" cars, and 3 series cars with the "M sport" package come equipped with an auxillary radiator mounted just forward of the driver side front tire inside the wheel well. Maybe look into what it would take to retrofit one to your car. I've been considering it myself, as I live in SoCal and spend a lot of hours sitting in bumper to bumper traffic; not the best thing for a car, especially during triple digit summer temps.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0649

As for the oil cooler, as others have mentioned, there is one in the form of a heat exchanger mounted directly to the oil filter housing.
Interested in the MSport aux rad retrofit... if you decide to do it be sure to share !
Appreciate 0