F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2016 340i - Before and After Dyno - MPPSK Install
proTUNING Freaks

04-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #89
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
This is incredibly accurate

I love the MPPSK but that aspect of it does get really annoying. The popping/burbling is a little excessive and ridiculous at times haha
Yeah, I enjoy the pops when I'm bombing down a back road. I don't enjoy them when I'm taking coworkers or clients to lunch (with the occasional exceptions of other car guys). But even on back roads, the original behavior was a lot more rewarding - it acted more 'natural' - if the cat was super hot, and you get off the gas quickly at high rpm, some excess fuel gets past the engine unburnt and you get a big bang. Now it's like a fucking coffee maker.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #90
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Yeah, I enjoy the pops when I'm bombing down a back road. I don't enjoy them when I'm taking coworkers or clients to lunch (with the occasional exceptions of other car guys). But even on back roads, the original behavior was a lot more rewarding - it acted more 'natural' - if the cat was super hot, and you get off the gas quickly at high rpm, some excess fuel gets past the engine unburnt and you get a big bang. Now it's like a fucking coffee maker.
Yeah, if I'm in Sport/Sport+ and pull into a parking lot/shopping center/parking garage/etc I switch back to Comfort because the constant popping and burbling on deceleration while going 5mph draws a lot of confused and annoying looks

Out on the road though, I don't mind it
Appreciate 1
Remonster824.00
      04-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #91
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Are you sure? With MPPSK, this thing is obnoxiously loud for the first 30 seconds after start from 'off'. Auto Start/stop does not cause the same level of noise at all. I haven't shoved a borescope down the exhaust to verify, but I'm pretty sure they open for a little bit at start from off, and then close either ~30 seconds later, or when you start driving.
Try unplugging your valves and then see how loud cold start is. You have to first make sure the valves are open before you unplug them, if you just walk up to the car while it's off and disconnect the valve connector, they'll be stuck closed always.

I had my valves completely unplugged and 100% open for a few months until I let my girlfriend drive my car one day while I was still at home and could hear how much that deep exhaust tone at cold start was shaking my entire condo (my garage is my first floor with the living room above it) and felt bad for my neighbors. The volume level is not insanely louder than the normal behavior (with valves plugged in and operational) but the exhaust sounds much deeper with a lot of deep bass that is not there when valves close and force the exhaust through the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #92
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Are you sure? With MPPSK, this thing is obnoxiously loud for the first 30 seconds after start from 'off'. Auto Start/stop does not cause the same level of noise at all. I haven't shoved a borescope down the exhaust to verify, but I'm pretty sure they open for a little bit at start from off, and then close either ~30 seconds later, or when you start driving.
Try unplugging your valves and then see how loud cold start is. You have to first make sure the valves are open before you unplug them, if you just walk up to the car while it's off and disconnect the valve connector, they'll be stuck closed always.

I had my valves completely unplugged and 100% open for a few months until I let my girlfriend drive my car one day while I was still at home and could hear how much that deep exhaust tone at cold start was shaking my entire condo (my garage is my first floor with the living room above it) and felt bad for my neighbors. The volume level is not insanely louder than the normal behavior (with valves plugged in and operational) but the exhaust sounds much deeper with a lot of deep bass that is not there when valves close and force the exhaust through the muffler.
Which fuse is the valves?
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 05:36 AM   #93
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
Which fuse is the valves?
Its not a fuse it is a connector. Simple unplug.
Appreciate 1
Remonster824.00
      04-27-2018, 06:07 AM   #94
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Its not a fuse it is a connector. Simple unplug.
What he said, there's a Y-cable to take the single wire for the original single valve and run it to both of the new valves:

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #95
StockLOL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
Yeah, if I'm in Sport/Sport+ and pull into a parking lot/shopping center/parking garage/etc I switch back to Comfort because the constant popping and burbling on deceleration while going 5mph draws a lot of confused and annoying looks

Out on the road though, I don't mind it
It depends how I’m feeling sometimes I love the popping and burbling pulling into parking lots and other times I just want to be stealth which is why I love this kit so damn much. The looks I get are surprised and jaw dropped. This exhaust sounds fabulous and the boost in hp/tq is icing on the cake.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 03:46 AM   #96
miksf30
Registered
Rep
Drives: '17 340i M-Sport

Quote:
The valves seem to always be open when you start the engine, and close ~30 seconds later. It's frankly a bit annoying to have a car that loud at start no matter what I want (I think my neighbors are likely tired of it).

But if you switch to sport mode within the first couple minutes, it does seem like sometimes the valves don't open right away. At least, to my ears, it doesn't sound like they open immediately if you switch to sport mode quickly after turning the car on.
wouldn't you be able to just turn off cold start with bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 03:54 AM   #97
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksf30 View Post
wouldn't you be able to just turn off cold start with bimmercode?
Cold-start is programmed deep into the ECU-software and is not a "code-able" option. Bimmercode cannot do anything with respect to it. Need a custom engine tune to be able to disable it.