F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What exactly is in the MPPSK?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #45
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon Stick View Post
Thanks! I didn't see that in any threads I read
It's in the huge announcement thread. Somewhere in the middle. That's the downside to forums.. the useful info is buried somewhere in one of a dozen threads of 200 posts each.

The original review sample provided to bimmerpost had the dent, and the first people to post pictures of theirs showed the underside dent, and I noticed that the two dents line up, are basically on the same bend of the pipe, so it looks to me like it was clamped/crimped there for some reason, either during production just to hold it in place, or to crimp it to clear something on the car.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #46
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
I picked up the parts in the US and brought them home. Had to unpackage them - they shipped in a 6'x6' box. They parts were mostly loose and only separated by crumpled paper. There are a few kinks in some pipes, does anyone know if these are made to clear parts of the car or is it shipping damage? Pics below

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Good stuff! What's the dealer charging for labour to install this?

I went into a dealer close to home and they wanted $4,800+tax for parts and installation if I remember correctly... insane. I could install everything myself but it's the ecu/software update that needs a dealer.
      01-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #47
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 340xi MPPSK 6MT

Installation for the exhaust and software install ended up being $628 including tax.

So I managed to get mine with CF tips for a grand total of about $4900 CAD including the drive to and from the US, paying the tax at the border, etc.
All told, I'd say this is the way to go if you live near the border - saved over $1000 but your mileage may vary.

Installation was simple. The dealer had no problem installing it and service just treated it as if I bought from their parts department. Warranty and everything.

As for the kit itself... I'm not exactly wowed. In comfort mode it's very similar to stock. I can't tell a difference really. In sport it's much louder even to the point where it drones when going a constant speed. It may be less of an issue with an auto but I find it gets annoying if I don't keep the revs below 1700 rpm or so.

What I'm most disappointed about is the lack of overrun/burbles. The stock exhaust used to do it any time I blipped the throttle or upshifted. Now it only seems to burble when coasting during high revs. I was hoping that the loud droning would at least be accompanied by spits and crackles.

I don't really notice the increase in power. The sport quages now go up to higher levels like advertised with the package but the butt dyno doesn't notice anything. It's already a pretty powerful car. Maybe dry roads and time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #48
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Installation for the exhaust and software install ended up being $628 including tax.

So I managed to get mine with CF tips for a grand total of about $4900 CAD including the drive to and from the US, paying the tax at the border, etc.
All told, I'd say this is the way to go if you live near the border - saved over $1000 but your mileage may vary.

Installation was simple. The dealer had no problem installing it and service just treated it as if I bought from their parts department. Warranty and everything.

As for the kit itself... I'm not exactly wowed. In comfort mode it's very similar to stock. I can't tell a difference really. In sport it's much louder even to the point where it drones when going a constant speed. It may be less of an issue with an auto but I find it gets annoying if I don't keep the revs below 1700 rpm or so.

What I'm most disappointed about is the lack of overrun/burbles. The stock exhaust used to do it any time I blipped the throttle or upshifted. Now it only seems to burble when coasting during high revs. I was hoping that the loud droning would at least be accompanied by spits and crackles.

I don't really notice the increase in power. The sport quages now go up to higher levels like advertised with the package but the butt dyno doesn't notice anything. It's already a pretty powerful car. Maybe dry roads and time will tell.
mine crackles a lot driving around the city at lower speeds in second gear everytime i back off the throttle and coast. also if you rev the engine after it has warmed up for at least a minute and you hear the valve open in sport, it crackles a lot
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #49
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

^ Ditto.. What he wrote!

I hear ALOT of burble when in Sport Mode, when punching the throttle and then backing off. Another trick I've learned is to slide the shifter over into Sport Shifting. Seems to like that!

I will admit, on the highway I have to switch down to Comfort or even Eco Pro cause the constant rumbling while in Sport in a little annoying. But with 2 clicks of the toggle, I am back in Sport mode when needed. For the power, or the sound (or both!)

Enjoy~
Always
Motch
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #50
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i 6MT BSM MPPSK

Can you hear the droning when the radio is up? I tend to listen to my music rather loud. Granted I'll probably listen to the engine more once I have my new 340 w/ MPPSK. I can't imagine it drowning out the sound system even at its worst...just curious. Opinions on the board here seem rather mixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #51
mannymazz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
Can you hear the droning when the radio is up? I tend to listen to my music rather loud. Granted I'll probably listen to the engine more once I have my new 340 w/ MPPSK. I can't imagine it drowning out the sound system even at its worst...just curious. Opinions on the board here seem rather mixed.
There is no drone in comfort and in sport it really only drones when in higher gear for me. Even if you intentionally make the car drone the radio still comes through fine I wouldn't worry.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #52
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 340xi MPPSK 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
I wouldn't say it drones louder than the radio. I don't really listen to the radio loud so I end up having to turn it up louder than normal.

By now I'm completely used to it and while the drone is a bit annoying when commuting to work it's not aggravating. I have to go over a really long hill to/from work and the drone is worst going up.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:13 AM   #53
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Just get the MPPSK part number(s) from RealOEM and shop around a few nearby dealers for the best price on those part numbers. There is no reason why they wouldn't be able to get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #54
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14 View Post
Alright I retract my statements earlier.

Apparently my dealer used the wrong parts, in fact they just used a MPE axle-back exhaust and that was it.

I talked to BMW NA and another BMW dealer and they clarified that Mperformance pack II is indeed the same as MPPSK which is a tune, full cat-back exhaust with special muffler (with pipes running in and out the sides) and flaps that work with the drive mode you are in, tied to the ECU. This should also include the tune with a mpowerkit sticker in the engine bay as well (no mperfomance engine cover on the B58).
In Canada this package is $2800.00

When ordering your package make sure they get it right. .seems there is alot of confusion of the parts used in this package. Im hoping my dealer makes things right and switches out the parts and adds whats necessary. Would BMW NA be able to help on this as an alternative if the dealer isnt working with me?
2800 ? wow , I got quoted

Quote:
"Hi Vincent, the M power and sound kit is $5000 for parts (including carbon tips) and

$1270 for labour.
Let me know if you want this done!"
by my SA.. seems expensive
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #55
H_stler
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 340i

Anyone that gets MPPSK retrofitted from dealers and has any retrofit parts on their cars needs to reverse it to get the tune or Ista will crash mid way.. I learnt the hard way!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:20 AM   #56
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
2800 ? wow , I got quoted

by my SA.. seems expensive
Wtf? Cost me 3400 for parts and install in the northeast
Appreciate 0