F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > B58 Clucking Noise
Extreme Powerhouse

11-17-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
Hfasih
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

B58 Clucking Noise

Hi Everyone!

I recently (Sept 2022) purchased a CPO 2018 340i xDrive from a BMW dealership out in British Columbia and had it shipped to Ontario, where I live.

After few days with the car, I started to notice clucking noise outside the vehicle when it was on idle. I thought to myself that maybe since the vehicle is at 112,000km there might be a pulley going bad. The more I drove the car, started to notice the noise only comes when the vehicle is warmed up.

I took it into a local BMW dealership, since the vehicle is under the CPO warranty. They ended up telling me that they don't hear "any abnormal noise" and charged me $175, which I didn't mind paying assuming since they work on these engines everyday and they know how they should sound.

Few days after getting the car back and constantly hearing that clucking noise. My gut feeling is telling that noise isn't normal. I looked under the hood myself and hear the noise coming closer to the air filter side.

I have attached a link to the video of the noise:

https://youtube.com/shorts/2BtEPqrXX_4?feature=share

Could anyone let me know if this noise is normal??
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
JoHnMuir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Seems like HPFP noise. The engine cover quiets it down a lot and I definitely don't hear it with the hood shut and the car idling, so that would be abnormal to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 04:41 PM   #3
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

Get a thin, long piece of pipe (50-100cm), put it in your ear and hold it close to the different parts in that area. That will enable you to pinpoint the exact source of the noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 07:18 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfasih View Post
Few days after getting the car back and constantly hearing that clucking noise. My gut feeling is telling that noise isn't normal. I looked under the hood myself and hear the noise coming closer to the air filter side.

I have attached a link to the video of the noise:

https://youtube.com/shorts/2BtEPqrXX_4?feature=share

Could anyone let me know if this noise is normal??
I'd start from this perspective... On other BMW engines that sound can be the vacuum pump 'exhaust' sound. I'm not sure what it sounds like on the B58, but it still evacuates to the crankcase ventilation and into the air intake system. If you take off the oil filler cap, you may find the internal sound (like a quacking noise) is in sync with what you hear externally.
Appreciate 0