F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Transmission Fluid ZF8 speed
GetBMWParts

02-22-2024, 08:33 PM   #1
Fl_Rza_99
Rep
Drives: BMW '15 435i Coupe

Transmission Fluid ZF8 speed

I'm at 82K on my 435i and want to get my transmission and differential fluid changed. I don't want to do the work myself, so I called a indy shop I've used before. They quoted me $300 to change the transmission fluid without removing the pan. They said they use a transmission fluid exchanger, but everyone seems to be removing the pan when doing it diy. Whats your thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 04:22 AM   #2
scubajim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F33

There is a filter in there that should be replaced as well. There is a kit that has a new belly pan the filter and new bolts. I would want that done as well. It is a bit of a process because you need to get the fluid to a specific temperature to perform the final top off.
      02-23-2024, 06:24 AM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Rza_99 View Post
I'm at 82K on my 435i and want to get my transmission and differential fluid changed. I don't want to do the work myself, so I called a indy shop I've used before. They quoted me $300 to change the transmission fluid without removing the pan. They said they use a transmission fluid exchanger, but everyone seems to be removing the pan when doing it diy. Whats your thoughts on this?
You want to service the pan as well, the filter is integrated into the pan. I have been getting my ZF service parts from thectsc.com for years, they sell a service kit with everything you need for about $250. I would also recommend replacing the Mechatronic sealing sleeve at the same time, they're very failure prone and can only be serviced with the pan off. It's a cheap part ($50) and there isn't much additional labor involved. +1 on scubajim's post, the filling procedure is very specific, you want to make sure that whoever you have do it is well aware of ZF's procedure. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:49 AM   #4
Fl_Rza_99
Rep
Drives: BMW '15 435i Coupe

Thanks, I’ll have them do the differential fluid for now and will ask about doing the transmission oil pan. Don’t want to do it myself, but might end up having to. Appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0