F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Projector Angel Eye Headlights!
Studio RSR

04-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #1717
skunis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
LCI looks really good as well, so I don't blame you. Plus, you can go LED with them since they're reflectors. Much easier to install lol.
Only issue is since only the '16 and '17 LCI MYs didn't come with the LED stock it is hard to find an aftermarket part. I am not paying 3K for lights.

Got a response back from Hella and these they say would not fit my car. Not sure why but they supplied me with the US part numbers and they are around $1K each and do not come with modules or bulbs.

Not going to work for me as I don't want to deal with that. I want a complete plug and play assembly.

Last edited by skunis; 04-16-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #1718
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCD View Post
So Kies Motorsports came back to adjust the lights... used some washers somewhere behind the lights... I think it looks much better. Really happy with the result! Before and after... I really appreciate Bryan and Cliff coming out. Great customer service.

Edit the app flipped the photos... before is lights on.
What did they adjust? Not seeing it in the photo.
Not sure if this is better! The ends dipped down - now they are better lined up.

Much closer to before.
Attached Images

04-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #1719
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Not sure if this is better! The ends dipped down - now they are better lined up.

Much closer to before.
Yeah, I can see it now.. Curious if there was still more room down there to adjust it even higher..

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #1720
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Much closer to before.
Yeah, I can see it now.. Curious if there was still more room down there to adjust it even higher..
Yeah, Kies Motorsports did it, you could email Bryan. He used washers under the light to raise it through the wheel arch. It looks a lot better so I didn't want to push my luck! Very happy that is is not so noticeable!
      04-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #1721
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, Kies Motorsports did it, you could email Bryan. He used washers under the light to raise it through the wheel arch. It looks a lot better so I didn't want to push my luck! Very happy that is is not so noticeable!
Yeah, I'll shoot him one and ask his opinion. That'd be awesome if we had a sure-fire way to have these sit flush and help out with those installing fresh.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 1
MSCD3186.00
      04-17-2018, 12:04 AM   #1722
difixter
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Does anyone know where to find Depo lights in US, seems everywhere you look they are out of stock. I found on schmiedmann.com in EU but not sure if they plug and play in US. Anyone order from there?

Any recommendation as to where to look would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 02:52 AM   #1723
accfortradingg
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2014

Quote:
I used Phillip's orginally: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But went with GP Thunder for a whiter look. Lost some visibility though: https://www.amazon.com/Thunder-7500K.../dp/B005F5FOM4

Eventually I got tired of the low light and got an HID kit from Retro Solutions. Absolutely perfect. Matches perfectly and lights up the road. Install itself wasn't too bad: http://www.retro-solutions.com/

A lot of people have gone with a Morimoto kit though. Make sure you go with the 35W system for this one since they use 35W bulbs in a 50W system, which causes it to overheat: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...oto-elite.html

If you go HID, you will need the Euro H7 Brackets as well, which I think is dependent on the kit.

Which bulb color did you go for on the retro-solutions?

I want it really really bright and was thinking about the max 15,000k strong blue color , but am afraid that it'll be too blue and look rice lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #1724
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by difixter View Post
Does anyone know where to find Depo lights in US, seems everywhere you look they are out of stock. I found on schmiedmann.com in EU but not sure if they plug and play in US. Anyone order from there?

Any recommendation as to where to look would be much appreciated.
Sign up for notifications on USR and then be ready to pull the trigger when they come back in stock. The notification also gives you a 10% off code. I think Bavauto.com may have them too but they are a lot more expensive.

On average they get them delivered every 6 weeks or so. That's the way I got mine.
      04-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #1725
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accfortradingg View Post
Which bulb color did you go for on the retro-solutions?

I want it really really bright and was thinking about the max 15,000k strong blue color , but am afraid that it'll be too blue and look rice lol
15K is crazy blue! Lol. I went with 6k and it's perfect. A little blue in comparison to the halos, but oh man, it lights up the road so perfectly. If you go with Retro Solutions, please talk with them before hand on getting the correct H7 Euro adapters that go with their bulbs. I didn't get the rightt ones and they didn't lock or clasp together, so I had to force them in (PTA because two hands do not fit into that tiny hole in the back). The bulbs and system itself is amazing and high quality. I really recommend them. Just get with them on finding the right H7 bracket and you're golden!

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #1726
accfortradingg
Rep

Quote:
15K is crazy blue! Lol. I went with 6k and it's perfect. A little blue in comparison to the halos, but oh man, it lights up the road so perfectly. If you go with Retro Solutions, please talk with them before hand on getting the correct H7 Euro adapters that go with their bulbs. I didn't get the rightt ones and they didn't lock or clasp together, so I had to force them in (PTA because two hands do not fit into that tiny hole in the back). The bulbs and system itself is amazing and high quality. I really recommend them. Just get with them on finding the right H7 bracket and you're golden!
Good call lol, just looked it up and it seems like 6k is perfect. I'll shoot them an email regarding the H7 Euro adapters.

Is there a video anywhere out there that shows the application of the adapters?

I recall seeing a video of an HID installation kit however, the guy just drilled holes through the back cap of the headlight housing and stuck the cords through.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #1727
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good call lol, just looked it up and it seems like 6k is perfect. I'll shoot them an email regarding the H7 Euro adapters.

Is there a video anywhere out there that shows the application of the adapters?

I recall seeing a video of an HID installation kit however, the guy just drilled holes through the back cap of the headlight housing and stuck the cords through.
The adapters just slip on behind the bulb. For their harness, you unplug two cables and pull them out, and then slip over the adapter. You'll see it when/if you install it. The only hurdle I had were the adapters. Need some that can grab/clamp onto their bulb base.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #1728
accfortradingg
Rep

Quote:
The adapters just slip on behind the bulb. For their harness, you unplug two cables and pull them out, and then slip over the adapter. You'll see it when/if you install it. The only hurdle I had were the adapters. Need some that can grab/clamp onto their bulb base.
Any idea why they aren't familiar with the Euro adapters?

https://i.gyazo.com/d76826a1b2980c3c...a4798bd51d.png

This was their response.

Is it not necessary?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #1729
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Any idea why they aren't familiar with the Euro adapters?

https://i.gyazo.com/d76826a1b2980c3c...a4798bd51d.png

This was their response.

Is it not necessary?
Send them this link: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1459304

You need it because "adapter" on the stock holder is what is held in place. Since the adapter isn't holding a bulb in place, you need something to. So, you get the H7 Euro adapter to hold it in place (Two screws pin the wings in)

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #1730
accfortradingg
Rep

Quote:
Send them this link: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1459304

You need it because "adapter" on the stock holder is what is held in place. Since the adapter isn't holding a bulb in place, you need something to. So, you get the H7 Euro adapter to hold it in place (Two screws pin the wings in)
So I ended up ordering it and it's coming soon, but they also sent along the installation for it and it requires some wiring w/ fuses?

https://gyazo.com/186958c68de828dfcc6502657c46d865

It isn't as complicated as this picture shows right?

Also I will most likely have to drill a hole in the headlight caps correct? I remember them just being a solid cap.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:57 AM   #1731
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So I ended up ordering it and it's coming soon, but they also sent along the installation for it and it requires some wiring w/ fuses?

https://gyazo.com/186958c68de828dfcc6502657c46d865

It isn't as complicated as this picture shows right?

Also I will most likely have to drill a hole in the headlight caps correct? I remember them just being a solid cap.
Oh yeah, it's easy. The extra harness is the relay to cancel the CANBUS checks. It's really easy. It looks busy, but it's not bad. I laid everything out to match the picture and then went

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #1732
accfortradingg
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, it's easy. The extra harness is the relay to cancel the CANBUS checks. It's really easy. It looks busy, but it's not bad. I laid everything out to match the picture and then went
So went with the installation today with the HID kit from retro solutions & it doesn't work. Had to uninstall everything.

One side would turn on, however the other wouldn't. Then we switched the connectors on the other side and then that side would turn on, which leads to the opposite side wouldn't turn on.

Not sure what the problem is since both sides are powered, but they both won't be on at the same time. No error codes or anything.

Sucks since there's no returns for retro solutions and kind of stuck in what to do. Thinking it's a relay problem since both wont turn on at once?

Note: BMW 2014 F30 with DEPO headlights from unique style racing which originally came w/ halogen bulbs.

Last edited by accfortradingg; 04-22-2018 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 11:54 PM   #1733
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So went with the installation today with the HID kit from retro solutions & it doesn't work. Had to uninstall everything.

One side would turn on, however the other wouldn't. Then we switched the connectors on the other side and then that side would turn on, which leads to the opposite side wouldn't turn on.

Not sure what the problem is since both sides are powered, but they both won't be on at the same time. No error codes or anything.

Sucks since there's no returns for retro solutions and kind of stuck in what to do. Thinking it's a relay problem since both wont turn on at once?

Note: BMW 2014 F30 with DEPO headlights from unique style racing which originally came w/ halogen bulbs.
So I had a similar problem, however neither of mine came on. I initially tried reversing the polarity of the plugs, but I got a "headlight bulb malfunction". I eventually figured out it was the DRL option! I disabled it in the iDrive for about 2 days and then flipped it back on. Headlights worked ever since. Shoulda PM'd me!

Ensure polarity is correct and double check all connections just to be sure. Ensure you put grease on all connections told to (Unlikely to be the issue, but always helps)

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 11:58 PM   #1734
accfortradingg
Rep

Quote:
So I had a similar problem, however neither of mine came on. I initially tried reversing the polarity of the plugs, but I got a "headlight bulb malfunction". I eventually figured out it was the DRL option! I disabled it in the iDrive for about 2 days and then flipped it back on. Headlights worked ever since. Shoulda PM'd me!

Ensure polarity is correct and double check all connections just to be sure. Ensure you put grease on all connections told to (Unlikely to be the issue, but always helps)

Ok, I will try that again.

I have the same problem as you, when the car electricity is on one of the bulbs work and one doesn't.

I then turned on the engine fully and neither turned on. So I should turn off daytime running lamps for this week and then try to set it up again on the weekend?

Hopefully this is the solution, it'd suck to have to set it up and dismantle it again if this doesn't work

Edit: You had the HID kits installed however, they weren't working, did you leave it in your car and disable the DRL? Then you re-enabled it and all of a sudden it worked?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #1735
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I will try that again.

I have the same problem as you, when the car electricity is on one of the bulbs work and one doesn't.

I then turned on the engine fully and neither turned on. So I should turn off daytime running lamps for this week and then try to set it up again on the weekend?

Hopefully this is the solution, it'd suck to have to set it up and dismantle it again if this doesn't work
You don't have to drive a full week with them off. If that was the issue, then when you install the bulbs and turn them off, they'll work immediately. I sat there for an hour trying to figure it out and that was it lol... I'm assuming it's an adaptation of some sort and the car doesn't want to accept the ballasts at first?

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #1736
accfortradingg
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to drive a full week with them off. If that was the issue, then when you install the bulbs and turn them off, they'll work immediately. I sat there for an hour trying to figure it out and that was it lol... I'm assuming it's an adaptation of some sort and the car doesn't want to accept the ballasts at first?
Lol so this is confusing to me, when I turned on the electricity only one side would turn on, no error messages.

Then turned on the engine and both wouldn't turn on. So what I should do is leave the kit and the bulbs in there and drive w/o low beams for a day or two with the DLR's off for a couple days and re-enable it , and it should work?

Props to you for leaving them in there; I had them in, but decided to just dis-assemble it since it didn't work and put back the old halogen low beams.

Last edited by accfortradingg; 04-23-2018 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:23 AM   #1737
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lol so this is confusing to me, when I turned on the electricity only one side would turn on, no error messages.

Then turned on the engine and both wouldn't turn on. So what I should do is leave the kit and the bulbs in there and drive w/o low beams for a day or two with the DLR's off for a couple days and re-enable it , and it should work?

Props to you for leaving them in there; I had them in, but decided to just dis-assemble it since it didn't work and put back the old halogen low beams.
No, no. Just install everything in the car. Start the car and ensure you don't have any "Headlight bulb malfunction" errors. If you do, you need to reverse the polarity of the plug for that side. What I mean by that is the two little plugs you put into the original bulb holder. After that is done or if you don't get any, just go into your iDrive settings, Lights, and then turn off "Daytime Running Lamps" Drive without your DRLs for a day or two and then renable them.

Once you disable them, the lights will work; however, in the "Auto" mode during the day, the DRLs won't turn on. Obviously, we like the halo's to be turned on, which is why you want to renable them later. You can manually switch on the halo's by putting the lights to the parking lights mode in the meantime.

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 12:26 AM   #1738
accfortradingg
Rep

Quote:
No, no. Just install everything in the car. Start the car and ensure you don't have any "Headlight bulb malfunction" errors. If you do, you need to reverse the polarity of the plug for that side. What I mean by that is the two little plugs you put into the original bulb holder. After that is done or if you don't get any, just go into your iDrive settings, Lights, and then turn off "Daytime Running Lamps" Drive without your DRLs for a day or two and then renable them.

Once you disable them, the lights will work; however, in the "Auto" mode during the day, the DRLs won't turn on. Obviously, we like the halo's to be turned on, which is why you want to renable them later. You can manually switch on the halo's by putting the lights to the parking lights mode in the meantime.
Okay I see,

I think my problem may be more serious since I turned the engine on, turned off DRL's and both still didn't turn on.

When the electricity is on only, no engine, only the left side would turn on. I think it may be a relay issue? I've emailed them and waiting for a response.
Appreciate 0