F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB Stage 1 & AFE intake installed..
GetBMWParts

06-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

JB Stage 1 & AFE intake installed..

Installed the JB Stage 1 and AFE intake this morning.. took about 45 minutes to do both.

Car definitely has more grunt.. Much more enjoyable to drive around town.

In stock form I always felt the car had to downshift and get into the 2500-3500 RPM range to get really get moving but now it just takes off in a lower gear feels much stronger overall. Accelerating from a dead stop is a dramatic difference, car seems to just jump off the line now.

AFE intake adds some nice sounds if nothing else. Lots of whooshing and swooshing from the front end now. With the Dinan exhaust it's a great combination of noise, love driving with the windows down. Didn't disconnect the battery... no error codes or funky idle issues... Car seems to run just fine.

Car exhaust seems to burble more... not sure if that's related to the tune or if I'm just hearing things. Car has about 2,000 miles on it so not much time in stock form to compare.

Anybody go from stage 1 to stage 2? dramatic difference? Not looking to mix gas grades, just want to put 92 in the car and drive it.
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Nice. I also installed my aFe intake on Friday. Only out about 10 miles on it so far, but everything seems perfect. Sound is a bit more excessive than I had hoped, but it's not too bad. It's a deep sucking, howling sound (almost as if something in grinding) from 1900-2500 RPM building boost from vacuum which then leads to a more standard turbo whistle. It's quite pleasant at upper RPMs as well.

How did you route the wiring for your MAF? I left the routing somewhat as is, however the wire insulator is now touching the oil pump which gets quite hot. I could imagine this can cause some problems down the line with the heat burning the insulation and wires, since before the wiring wasn't making direct contact with anything. I'll pick up some additional insulation or high-temp tape. This won't be an issue to most, but I'm picky.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

I thought my BMS intake was excessive, figured I'd likely get tired of it.

But I've come to like it :-) you'll probably do the same!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
CK335iMSport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloK View Post
Installed the JB Stage 1 and AFE intake this morning.. took about 45 minutes to do both.

In stock form I always felt the car had to downshift and get into the 2500-3500 RPM range to get really get moving but now it just takes off in a lower gear feels much stronger overall. Accelerating from a dead stop is a dramatic difference, car seems to just jump off the line now.

AFE intake adds some nice sounds if nothing else. Lots of whooshing and swooshing from the front end now. With the Dinan exhaust it's a great combination of noise, love driving with the windows down. Didn't disconnect the battery... no error codes or funky idle issues... Car seems to run just fine.

Car exhaust seems to burble more... not sure if that's related to the tune or if I'm just hearing things. Car has about 2,000 miles on it so not much time in stock form to compare.

Anybody go from stage 1 to stage 2? dramatic difference? Not looking to mix gas grades, just want to put 92 in the car and drive it.
Definitely interested in this combo, keep us updated on how it performs please...
2014 335i M Sport - Mineral Grey/Coral Red, Nav., Premium, HK, MPE, 8AT. Mods: Macht Schnell Spacers (12mm-front, 15mm-rear) with 403M's, Bilstein B8 Struts/H&R Sport Spring combo, M-Performance black kidney grilles, IND Distribution color-matched reflector inserts and key hole cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Good reviews!

Getting donwpipes next should be a nice bump in power.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Nice!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
franko9217
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 Blk 335i/6MT/JB4/DP/CP

This is good to hear considering the issue's i had with injen intake combined with JB stage 1. Maybe i'll try this intake....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko9217 View Post
This is good to hear considering the issue's i had with injen intake combined with JB stage 1. Maybe i'll try this intake....
Yup, I'm loving it right now.. Still now issues on this set-up.

Seems to be a safe/reliable combination of sound and power which is exactly what I was looking for.
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
iCeMaNxLb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Mineral White 2016 Coupe

awesome I finally might consider an intake for my F32 now
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
CK335iMSport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

How's everything holding up? Still no issues? How's the sound as well?
2014 335i M Sport - Mineral Grey/Coral Red, Nav., Premium, HK, MPE, 8AT. Mods: Macht Schnell Spacers (12mm-front, 15mm-rear) with 403M's, Bilstein B8 Struts/H&R Sport Spring combo, M-Performance black kidney grilles, IND Distribution color-matched reflector inserts and key hole cover.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #11
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Hey I am new to BMW and i just picked up my 435i M pack couple of weeks ago. I am also thinking about the stage one and a AFE intake. Which intake did you get? And are they better than the BMS? I was looking at the stage 2 AFE intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
WickedC5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive BSM/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
Hey I am new to BMW and i just picked up my 435i M pack couple of weeks ago. I am also thinking about the stage one and a AFE intake. Which intake did you get? And are they better than the BMS? I was looking at the stage 2 AFE intake.
Many people have been reporting issues with BMS intake causing rough idle issues and cel i belive. Sounds like the AFE might be the ticket for us that are looking for a trouble free solution with a few hp and sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #13
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedC5 View Post
Many people have been reporting issues with BMS intake causing rough idle issues and cel i belive. Sounds like the AFE might be the ticket for us that are looking for a trouble free solution with a few hp and sound.
Thanks for the input. This is a link to the intake i was thinking about.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...BB%&brandID=53
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335x with m package

So I put on the afe intake and have a jb4 stage 2. Had the jb4 for a while with the downpipe. Just installed the intake about a month ago. Install was actually easy. But about a week ago I felt this weird feeling sometimes when stopped a light. The car would idle weird. This happened like twice. Then all of a sudden this morning , I Turn on my car, start heading down the street and the car is idling all weird , not giving me power when I hit the gas. I immediately pulled over and the car started to sort of stutter and completely shut off. No codes , no error messages , even though it felt like the drive train malfunction thing I've seen. Turned the car on after 10 seconds and all is good. Gonna change maps on the jb4 to map 5. Maybe that helps. I'll keep you posted. Might have to remove intake.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
WickedC5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive BSM/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tditty View Post
So I put on the afe intake and have a jb4 stage 2. Had the jb4 for a while with the downpipe. Just installed the intake about a month ago. Install was actually easy. But about a week ago I felt this weird feeling sometimes when stopped a light. The car would idle weird. This happened like twice. Then all of a sudden this morning , I Turn on my car, start heading down the street and the car is idling all weird , not giving me power when I hit the gas. I immediately pulled over and the car started to sort of stutter and completely shut off. No codes , no error messages , even though it felt like the drive train malfunction thing I've seen. Turned the car on after 10 seconds and all is good. Gonna change maps on the jb4 to map 5. Maybe that helps. I'll keep you posted. Might have to remove intake.
Did you take a look under the hood after these problems started happening? Check the Vacum line connection to the intake pipe, as it could have gotten loose since its just a tad shorter then it should be... Just a suggestion. Anyways keep us posted and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedC5
Quote:
Did you take a look under the hood after these problems started happening? Check the Vacum line connection to the intake pipe, as it could have gotten loose since its just a tad shorter then it should be... Just a suggestion. Anyways keep us posted and good luck.
Yep. Checked that afterward. Didn't seem loose but pushed it in there a little more. See if that works for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
kettasii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011

Quote:
Update?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #18
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettasii
Quote:
Update?
Turned out to be a bad front O2 sensor.
Appreciate 0