F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > New BimmerTech Speakers: Incredible Sound without the High Cost
GetBMWParts

04-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

New BimmerTech Speakers: Incredible Sound without the High Cost

New BimmerTech Speakers: Incredible Sound without the High Cost

My curiosity has wandered for some time when Patryk mentioned he would be getting into having a speaker solution for BMWs, when they finally became available I was excited to try them out. Received them and shortly after they were in and playing. I’ve known Patryk/Nelson/Bimmertech as a whole for some time and while I’m certainly convinced they like to go for and achieve the best that they can I was still very skeptical of another plug&play solution for BMWs. My skepticism quickly diminished once I turned everything on and hit the volume control a few clicks east !

Name:  PG2_5875.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  98.3 KB

For most configurations cost should land in the $1000 mark on average but you can check your specific vehicle here: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...ifier-for-bmw/ as it will vary based on trim but from how they perform it is a value to say the least. Every aspect has been well thought out and properly executed from the finish to fitment to fully simple plug&play operation. Minimal tools or experience needed and you’re up and running.

Center channel was also included in my set (F15) but rather a coaxial or ‘wideband’ it was surprisingly a two piece midrange/tweeter.

Name:  midrange-2.png
Views: 1799
Size:  109.6 KB Name:  tweeter-1.png
Views: 1740
Size:  82.0 KB

I am one that is strongly opposed to a center channel and/or rears for most setups but for the sake of being fair we did hook it up and run it- results were great for those of you that would or will use it.

The midbass (underseat woofers) which are available in 2Ohm, 4Ohm or 7Ohm configurations, based on application, are one in a very few that I found to play up high enough to mate with just about any 4” midrange and still be a pleasure to listen to but without sacrificing any bottom end. The bottom end itself is also worth mentioning as they handle it well and with authority !

Name:  woofer.png
Views: 1750
Size:  166.4 KB Name:  midrange-1.png
Views: 1743
Size:  150.4 KB

Initial thoughts on the tweeter, I found it a bit more forward for my taste but with some normal break-in time this quickly smoothed out and they blended very well with the midrange. Vocals, both male and female were well pronounced but without becoming overbearing. A very nice transition from underseat to midrange to tweeter. Polite but not dull, upfront but not overwhelming or ear piercing. Several hours of seat time is not a problem at all.

First setup and run was with the factory 676 HiFi amp- it was good, very good actually, especially given the simplicity of it.

Next run was with the Bimmertech amplifier which was definitely a noticeable upgrade. Initially kept ‘passive’ but very shortly after went to an active setup- this is where it really started to come alive. More power, more control, flexibility and a good bit of power to let yourself go with the windows down (even here in NJ with winter storms every week!) and freedom with the volume knob.

Last run and how it currently remains was to pull the Bimmertech amp and go right into a Helix P SIX. This would be similar (same flexibility and software) to the Bimmertech amp but on massive steroids. For sure it was a different animal now but this would also be overboard for many.

In summary, if you’re looking for a substantial upgrade that is completely plug&play and performs exceptionally well you would really be hard pressed to find something better. I’ve spent my fair share of my own time as well as that of clients and it is an extremely difficult task to take on.

This is not a comparison, just a review of this particular set. How different drivers and/or setups sound is purely subjective and will vary from one person to the next.

Full disclosure: I have been in the 12v field and have been for the past 2.5+ decades. I do own and operate an independent shop for both mobile and home audio. I am and have been a dealer with Bimmertech for several years however I also deal with (or have in the past) the majority of other offerings out there which also tends to keep me quite unbiased.

Any and all questions are always welcome.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Thanks for the review!

I think many will want to know... how do these compare to BAVSOUND Stage One + Ghost Sub speakers?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Thanks for the review!

I think many will want to know... how do these compare to BAVSOUND Stage One + Ghost Sub speakers?
Colleagues and clients seem to agree it is a fairly substantial upgrade. I would have to leave it at that as I'm really not one to 'talk down' about other products or brands.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:51 AM   #4
linyuanqiu
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 4serie gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Thanks for the review!

I bought bavsoud's subwoofer. Really bad. I bought bimmertech speakers and amplifiers for a short time. The post-middle is clear and the bass is powerful. I feel like a very good speaker...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
linocaoz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 220i

I bought those a month ago. The shipping time was fast, the installation was easy and quick, a short user manual installation will be nice for people without experience to know the sizes and tools we will need, it would make the things even easier. I am very pleased with the sound improvement, my bass now is strong and so much clear, but my favorite thing was the packaging, very nice and elegant.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
saintpatty
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Have you compared these with bavsound in that vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpatty View Post
Have you compared these with bavsound in that vehicle?
If you're referring to me, then no. I have plenty of experience with the Bavsound products but they also do not have a place in my own vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #8
Moeelomari11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335xi

Just purchased and installed the alpha ones from bimmer tech and I’m impressed. I have the individual audio in my 2009 bmw 335xi m package and they do the the job. Very happy with the people over at bimmer tech. That with my new combox for more blue tooth functionality and I couldn’t be happier. Recommend them to anyone who’s looking for an upgrade and ease of installation.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:46 PM   #9
Kuj0n
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 320xdA B47

Is amplifier required or can I use it with CCC only?
Appreciate 0