F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ☛ MHD Flasher F Series (F2x F3x) discussion ☚
VIBE Motorsports

09-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #3455
JaredG_F30
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

WGDC at 100% measures fully closed, 0% means fully open. Also I need to rectify one statement I made earlier as I monitored my dashboard (bm3) on my commute this morning. In comfort mode and cruising, 80mpg, 6th gear (6MT) and light throttle my WGDC was hovering around 50%, not 15%. In sport it's at 100% at idle and cruise. Next time log with DSC/DTC off which will put your throttle mapping it in comfort mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Yeah, that log was done in sport+. I thought the 100% WGDC at idle was also there in comfort, but i will double check that tomorrow.

Is it safe to say then WGDC is basically a measure of how closed the wastegate is/how hard the wastegate is working to achieve target boost?

I was confused by someone elses statement "The duty cycle is how often it is opening and closing to control the boost level." I understand that in general, the idea is to watch WGDC under boost once tuned to make sure it isnt excessively high, potentially indicating a boost leak or other issue.

Thanks for all the info.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V801s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, 381 whp, 429 wtq (waiting for install: GFB DV+) Next: Ohlins R&T, M Performance LSD, M Performance Brake Kit
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #3456
thejeremyman9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
WGDC at 100% measures fully closed, 0% means fully open. Also I need to rectify one statement I made earlier as I monitored my dashboard (bm3) on my commute this morning. In comfort mode and cruising, 80mpg, 6th gear (6MT) and light throttle my WGDC was hovering around 50%, not 15%. In sport it's at 100% at idle and cruise. Next time log with DSC/DTC off which will put your throttle mapping it in comfort mode.
Thanks, this makes sense. I will do some monitoring/logging this afternoon to get a better sense of WGDC under different conditions. Just trying to learn as much as i can here before putting on my mods/tune.

Also, the bolded statement above addresses a unrelated observation i made - i rarely turn DSC/DTC completely off but i did notice the different throttle mapping when i did compared to when it sport+, and also noticed that if i pressed the mode selection switch back toward comfort when i was in DTC/DSC off mode (even if i initiated that from in sport+), it would go into eco mode...

Now i am wondering if anything else is different between sport+ and DSC/DTC off? Is DSC/DTC off basically just comfort with traction control off? What about sport chassis settings? Do those get enabled in DSC/DTC off?

Somewhat related, i believe there is a linear throttle mapping setting for the tunes right? Does that just make sport and sport+ throttle mapping like comfort?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #3457
thejeremyman9
Private
Rep

Quote:
One more thing to beat this WGDC discussion to death.

I had about 2.5 hours of driving around today, mostly highway. I watched the monitoring closely to get an idea of where things were at. This is what i saw.

Comfort:
  • WGDC ~100% at idle, decel, etc. Basically at 100% until you start to go into boost. seemed to be in the ~90% at light throttle cruise on the highway.
  • exhaust flap intermittently goes from 0 to 1 while driving on streets, even at low throttle < 3k RPM. Did not see any pattern.

Eco
  • WGDC ~100% at idle, decel (although it does into neutral quickly). However, now i see what you see which is ~50% at light throttle cruise on the highway.
  • exhaust flap intermittently goes from 0 to 1 while driving on streets, even at low throttle < 3k RPM. Did not see any pattern.

Sport/+
  • WGDC pretty much always at 100%, only drops lower when under boost. Never saw under 70% really.
  • exhaust flap goes to 0 and stays there.

I assume 0 is open for the exhaust flap?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #3458
JaredG_F30
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Interesting. Are you EWG or PWG? Regarding the DSC/DTC, yes this is basically comfort mode with all the nannies turned off. I'm not sure about the chassis setting as I have an M-sport with the static M-Sport suspension, so my suspension doesn't change dependant on driving modes like with dynamic suspension.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V801s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, 381 whp, 429 wtq (waiting for install: GFB DV+) Next: Ohlins R&T, M Performance LSD, M Performance Brake Kit
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #3459
Munchi435i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
One more thing to beat this WGDC discussion to death.

I had about 2.5 hours of driving around today, mostly highway. I watched the monitoring closely to get an idea of where things were at. This is what i saw.

Comfort:
  • WGDC ~100% at idle, decel, etc. Basically at 100% until you start to go into boost. seemed to be in the ~90% at light throttle cruise on the highway.

Eco
  • WGDC ~100% at idle, decel (although it does into neutral quickly). However, now i see what you see which is ~50% at light throttle cruise on the highway.

Sport/+
  • WGDC pretty much always at 100%, only drops lower when under boost. Never saw under 70% really.
  • exhaust flap goes to 0 and stays there.

I assume 0 is open for the exhaust flap?

09-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #3460
thejeremyman9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Are you EWG or PWG? Regarding the DSC/DTC, yes this is basically comfort mode with all the nannies turned off. I'm not sure about the chassis setting as I have an M-sport with the static M-Sport suspension, so my suspension doesn't change dependant on driving modes like with dynamic suspension.
2015 335i EWG 8AT RWD

Hmm, I will do a little more research into the DSC off thing. I know going into sport/sport+ can affect other things as well, so interested in the difference between those. (If anyone knows a document where this is described in detail please let me know. I saw a table in another thread with how eco/comfort/sport/sport+ interact with D/S transmission settings for various aspects of the car but did not see DSC off mentioned on there). I do have the dynamic suspension so i am curious. I rarely turn it off anyways unless i am trying to intentionally drift or do donuts, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #3461
thejeremyman9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post

I'm sorry, is the title of this thread not about MHD F Series discussion? My intention was only to learn about WGDC for the F series platform as monitored by MHD, perhaps informing other readers along the way. I explicitly said "One more thing to beat this WGDC discussion to death", further expanding on the few WGDC posts from earlier this week. I would hardly consider that a thread jack, and i thought the post might be informative for anyone else reading...

In any case, that discussion is over at this point. If other people think i am thread jacking, let me know and i will post elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #3462
Munchi435i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry, is the title of this thread not about MHD F Series discussion? My intention was only to learn about WGDC for the F series platform as monitored by MHD, perhaps informing other readers along the way. I explicitly said "One more thing to beat this WGDC discussion to death", further expanding on the few WGDC posts from earlier this week. I would hardly consider that a thread jack, and i thought the post might be informative for anyone else reading...

In any case, that discussion is over at this point. If other people think i am thread jacking, let me know and i will post elsewhere.
your questions are more relative to tuning in general and would be better off in a separate thread.

You're not currently utilizing any of the flash tunes and just using the monitor module on the stock flash.

If you were having issues using the monitor module then yes it would pertain to this thread but since your questions are purely about how to monitor your car and basic tuning ideals....then yes, you'b be better off starting another thread!

Always appreciated to have someone ask question and have others learn from them....

so in any case, thanks for asking!
      09-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #3463
DreamerJoe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
Quote:
2015 335i EWG 8AT RWD

Hmm, I will do a little more research into the DSC off thing. I know going into sport/sport+ can affect other things as well, so interested in the difference between those. (If anyone knows a document where this is described in detail please let me know. I saw a table in another thread with how eco/comfort/sport/sport+ interact with D/S transmission settings for various aspects of the car but did not see DSC off mentioned on there). I do have the dynamic suspension so i am curious. I rarely turn it off anyways unless i am trying to intentionally drift or do donuts, lol.
this might help https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8#post23267488
      09-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #3464
thejeremyman9
Private
Rep

I finally got my CP/IC and will be installing soon, then going to flash MHD. I see that stage 2 description says updated IC or DP. Is anyone running stage 2 with just an upgraded IC, retaining stock DP? Would i have to be concerned about EGTs or overheating the stock cat/turbo with long pulls or extended periods of hard driving on stage 2?

Also on the Choose Your Transmission page, there is an option for "Auto (8 AT) With Fix For Reduced Power in 3rd/6th" - i assume that means you already have the fix installed? Or does this option actually implement the fix to reduce the torque limit in 3rd/6th?

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2019, 09:36 PM   #3465
NYOreo23
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi

What tablet or device do you guys use to aid with the tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #3466
mcintoshf30
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
I finally got my CP/IC and will be installing soon, then going to flash MHD. I see that stage 2 description says updated IC or DP. Is anyone running stage 2 with just an upgraded IC, retaining stock DP? Would i have to be concerned about EGTs or overheating the stock cat/turbo with long pulls or extended periods of hard driving on stage 2?

Also on the Choose Your Transmission page, there is an option for "Auto (8 AT) With Fix For Reduced Power in 3rd/6th" - i assume that means you already have the fix installed? Or does this option actually implement the fix to reduce the torque limit in 3rd/6th?

Thanks.
Would like to know this info as well. I'm stage 1 with a kittyless pipe but no FMIC. I'm also confused about the 3rd and 6th gear fix
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #3467
mihail.b
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshf30 View Post
Would like to know this info as well. I'm stage 1 with a kittyless pipe but no FMIC. I'm also confused about the 3rd and 6th gear fix
Pretty sure it applies a fix to 3rd/6th gear. Unsure how it does it though.

I was running Stage 2 without the fix and could feel a noticeable loss of power in 3rd/6th. Applied Stage 2 with fix and pulled much better.

In saying that, I assume the xhp transmission tune is a better solution and this MHD fix is a good interim solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #3468
thejeremyman9
Private
Rep

Quote:
You're essentially the opposite of me - downpipe but no IC. I am IC but no downpipe. Do you at least have a CP? To address your question, i can only comment that i have seen videos on youtube of people running stage 2 with only DP, no intercooler, and they just carefully watch / manage IATs. I would definitely be concerned with no intercooler running stage 2 if you are doing anything more than 1 pull at a time. I have seen how much my IATs climb on a completely stock car, stock tune. Also, MHD documentation technically says IC /OR/ DP.

Quote:

I was running Stage 2 without the fix and could feel a noticeable loss of power in 3rd/6th. Applied Stage 2 with fix and pulled much better.

In saying that, I assume the xhp transmission tune is a better solution and this MHD fix is a good interim solution.
I thought you needed XHP to get the fix, but i could be wrong, that's why i was asking. It is possible the MHD tune can remove those torque limits, but i didnt see any documentation on that. The last thing i want to do is select that option only to have it mean you are supposed to already have the fix implemented and risk damage to the trans or something.

I am going to see if i can reach out to MHD with these questions, but if anyone knows, please chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYOreo23 View Post
I bought a samsung galaxy tab 8.0 (2017 model) for about $150. You can use your phone or get cheaper options, but i plan to semi-permanently mount this in the car for data logging and monitoring, and i wanted something reliable.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #3469
mcintoshf30
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
You're essentially the opposite of me - downpipe but no IC. I am IC but no downpipe. Do you at least have a CP? To address your question, i can only comment that i have seen videos on youtube of people running stage 2 with only DP, no intercooler, and they just carefully watch / manage IATs. I would definitely be concerned with no intercooler running stage 2 if you are doing anything more than 1 pull at a time. I have seen how much my IATs climb on a completely stock car, stock tune. Also, MHD documentation technically says IC /OR/ DP.

Quote:

I thought you needed XHP to get the fix, but i could be wrong, that's why i was asking. It is possible the MHD tune can remove those torque limits, but i didnt see any documentation on that. The last thing i want to do is select that option only to have it mean you are supposed to already have the fix implemented and risk damage to the trans or something.

I am going to see if i can reach out to MHD with these questions, but if anyone knows, please chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYOreo23 View Post
I bought a samsung galaxy tab 8.0 (2017 model) for about $150. You can use your phone or get cheaper options, but i plan to semi-permanently mount this in the car for data logging and monitoring, and i wanted something reliable.
I ran the stock chargepipe on one pull after I put in the downpipe and flashed, and well, it blew up first hit lol. But I had the new one already so I put that in immediately.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #3470
thejeremyman9
Private
Rep

Quick update here - I emailed MHD support yesterday and got a response this morning, which i think mostly answers the two questions. Below are my questions and MHD response:

Question
1. The stage 2 description states it is for "cars equipped with an upgraded intercooler or high-flow downpipe" on the bimmerpost forums, but on the MHD website states "stage 2 for cars equipped with an high-flow downpipe". Can stage 2 map be used on a car with only an upgraded intercooler and charge pipe, but a stock OEM downpipe?
Forum post: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...60&postcount=1

Response
1. yes ST2 can be used with either intercooler upgrade or downpipe (or both of course).

Question
2. On the Choose Your Transmission page (see attached screenshot), there is an option for "Auto (8 AT) With Fix For Reduced Power in 3rd/6th" in addition to the normal "Auto (8 AT)" option. Does the "Auto (8 AT) With Fix For Reduced Power in 3rd/6th" actually apply the fix to eliminate reduced power in 3rd/6th? Or does this option require that you already have this fix installed?

Response
2. to answer this question you must datalog your car, install without fix first, do a full throttle log in 3rd gear and if limiter kicks in (we will check the log for your) then you have to install the fix version.

For #2, it was not a direct answer, but based on the response it sounds like selecting that option actually does apply the fix. Should out to MHD for responding so quickly.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #3471
thejeremyman9
Private
Rep

Not Reaching Boost Targets, but WGDC looks OK?

2015 EWG 335i 8AT RWD

Over the weekend i installed my VRSF IC and CP. Went for a test drive with just the IC+CP to make sure everything sounded/felt/looked OK (including datalog), then went ahead and flashed stage 1. I did a 4th gear pull and logged, then today did another 1-4 pull and logged.

In both of my most recent logs (the only 2 after the stage 1 tune), my boost looks to be significantly below target.

In the 4th gear pull, it looks like ~2 psi below target on average, but there is a huge dip in the middle of the pull (4 psi below target) that doesnt seem to be due to a throttle closure or anything.

4th gear, stage 1, IC+CP, ~65F ambient
https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...=0&data=5-6-25

In the 1-4 pull, boost is 3-5psi below target the entire time, but still traces the boost target curve.

1-4, stage 1, IC+CP, ~75 ambient (about 1500ft lower alititude than 4th gear pull)
https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/1...=0&data=5-6-25

Do these logs look normal? Why am i not reaching boost targets, but to my eyes WGDC looks normal?

For reference, here are two logs right after i installed IC+DP, but was still on stock tune (taken right before 4th gear log above)

4th: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/s...=0&data=4-5-20

1-4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/s...=0&data=4-5-20

For additional reference, here is a completely stock log before IC+CP install, no tune

4th: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/s...=0&data=3-5-19

1-4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/1...=0&data=4-5-20

Stock logs, boost is right on top of target.
IC+CP, stock tune, boost is very near target.
Stack 1, IC+CP, boost seems way below target.

I replaced the top O-ring with install, made sure bottom O rings (including one on TIC pipe) were good before reinstalling. All clips and couplers look good. Did not hear anything abnormal that would suggest boost leak.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by thejeremyman9; 10-08-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #3472
Munchi435i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2015 EWG 335i 8AT RWD

Over the weekend i installed my VRSF IC and CP. Went for a test drive with just the IC+CP to make sure everything sounded/felt/looked OK (including datalog), then went ahead and flashed stage 1. I did a 4th gear pull and logged, then today did another 1-4 pull and logged.

In both of my most recent logs (the only 2 after the stage 1 tune), my boost looks to be significantly below target.

In the 4th gear pull, it looks like ~2 psi below target on average, but there is a huge dip in the middle of the pull (4 psi below target) that doesnt seem to be due to a throttle closure or anything.

4th gear, stage 1, IC+DP, ~65F ambient
https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...=0&data=5-6-25

In the 1-4 pull, boost is 3-5psi below target the entire time, but still traces the boost target curve.

1-4, stage 1, IC+CP, ~75 ambient (about 1500ft lower alititude than 4th gear pull)
https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/1...=0&data=5-6-25

Do these logs look normal? Why am i not reaching boost targets, but to my eyes WGDC looks normal?

For reference, here are two logs right after i installed IC+DP, but was still on stock tune (taken right before 4th gear log above)

4th: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/s...=0&data=4-5-20

1-4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/s...=0&data=4-5-20

For additional reference, here is a completely stock log before IC+CP install, no tune

4th: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/s...=0&data=3-5-19

1-4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/1...=0&data=4-5-20

Stock logs, boost is right on top of target.
IC+CP, stock tune, boost is very near target.
Stack 1, IC+CP, boost seems way below target.

I replaced the top O-ring with install, made sure bottom O ring (included one on TIC pipe) were good before reinstalling. All clips and couplers look good. Did not hear anything abnormal that would suggest boost leak.

Any thoughts?
Double check for leaks because everything else in the log looks to be fine.

Load is off but so is Target boost, which would lead me to believe there is a boost leak somewhere.

keep us posted
      10-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #3473
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86

MHD Tuning pureboost
Have you given up on a big turbo (Pure Stg2) OTS?
      10-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #3474
Munchi435i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
MHD Tuning pureboost
Have you given up on a big turbo (Pure Stg2) OTS?
OTS PS2 maps are available for EWG currently
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:50 AM   #3475
mihail.b
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Is there a way to backup a custom tune I currently have before applying the MHD tune? In the event I would like to revert back to the custom tune?

From what I can see MHD includes the factory tunes only?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #3476
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihail.b View Post
Is there a way to backup a custom tune I currently have before applying the MHD tune? In the event I would like to revert back to the custom tune?

From what I can see MHD includes the factory tunes only?
MHD will do this automatically once first installed/flashed. That map will become your stock/factory map.