F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > COVID Vaccine
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Will you have the jab?
Yes 191 87.61%
No 27 12.39%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

04-12-2021, 04:25 AM   #1651
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
my in laws (who live in Europe) have chosen to not take the az jab which they were offered 'due to risk of blood clots' and though Europe is being ravaged by the pandemic want to hold out till another alternative without the risk is offered to them even if they have to wait for months.
virus 1 people 0.
FFS. That is ridiculous. I would be reading them the riot act!
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13104.50
      04-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #1652
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
my in laws (who live in Europe) have chosen to not take the az jab which they were offered 'due to risk of blood clots' and though Europe is being ravaged by the pandemic want to hold out till another alternative without the risk is offered to them even if they have to wait for months.
virus 1 people 0.
That is pretty crazy - placing a tiny risk of perhaps 1:250,000 of dying from a blood clot over a 1:100 risk of dying of Covid. I have had a similar discussion with my (French) ex who lives in the UK. She has been offered the jab and declined it.

It's perhaps understandable on an individual level for someone to make an uninformed choice, but on a state level, as in France, it's beyond insane.
Appreciate 2
JNW13122.00
KRS_SN13104.50
      04-12-2021, 06:12 AM   #1653
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
virus 1 people 0.
That is pretty crazy - placing a tiny risk of perhaps 1:250,000 of dying from a blood clot over a 1:100 risk of dying of Covid. I have had a similar discussion with my (French) ex who lives in the UK. She has been offered the jab and declined it.

It's perhaps understandable on an individual level for someone to make an uninformed choice, but on a state level, as in France, it's beyond insane.
Unfortunately some senior politicians in continental Europe have well and truly polluted the waters for the AZ vaccine and I'm not sure confidence in it will ever be restored over there.

However, the thing that puzzles me slightly is the EU continuing to demand more doses of the vaccine - and stop the export of any made in the EU to countries outside the bloc - when they've already got loads of it unused and a population that's in many cases refusing to take it. It seems they think it's somehow better sat in their fridges than it is in the arms of people elsewhere in the world who are prepared to take it which is, to put it politely, a touch bizarre....
Appreciate 1
JD64215.00
      04-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #1654
PeakyJ
Enthusiast
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Unfortunately some senior politicians in continental Europe have well and truly polluted the waters for the AZ vaccine and I'm not sure confidence in it will ever be restored over there.

However, the thing that puzzles me slightly is the EU continuing to demand more doses of the vaccine - and stop the export of any made in the EU to countries outside the bloc - when they've already got loads of it unused and a population that's in many cases refusing to take it. It seems they think it's somehow better sat in their fridges than it is in the arms of people elsewhere in the world who are prepared to take it which is, to put it politely, a touch bizarre....
Seems to be a bit of a Brexit vaccine war since they don’t want it in their arms over there.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      04-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #1655
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyJ View Post
Quote:

Seems to be a bit of a Brexit vaccine war since they don’t want it in their arms over there.
There's no question in my mind some (much?) of what's been going on is political and I'm sure you're right, Brexit is part of it.

However, while I appreciate why they might want to undermine what's perceived to be a UK vaccine, I don't understand why they're demanding more of it when they haven't used anything like what they've got already. And the desire to stop non-EU countries being supplied from plants based in the EU is even more bizarre - their attitude seems to be "we don't want to take it but even though you do we're going to restrict supplies to prevent you from doing so". It's bonkers and IMO it's not showing the EU in a good light....
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      04-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #1656
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

258,888 new vaccinations registered in the UK yesterday

England - 36,599 1st doses / 160,454 2nd doses
Scotland - 11,145 / 21,299
Wales - 15,099 / 3,022
NI - 6,380 / 4,890

————————-

The number of people who've had at least one dose of a vaccine in the UK as of yesterday is 32,190,576

Up 69,223 on the day before, 7-day average 86,993

48.2% of the total population

—————————

The number of people who've had both doses of a vaccine in the UK as of yesterday is 7,656,205

Up 189,665 on the day before, 7-day average 317,726

11.5% of the total population
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18605.50
JD64215.00
      04-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #1657
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
There's no question in my mind some (much?) of what's been going on is political and I'm sure you're right, Brexit is part of it.

However, while I appreciate why they might want to undermine what's perceived to be a UK vaccine, I don't understand why they're demanding more of it when they haven't used anything like what they've got already. And the desire to stop non-EU countries being supplied from plants based in the EU is even more bizarre - their attitude seems to be "we don't want to take it but even though you do we're going to restrict supplies to prevent you from doing so". It's bonkers and IMO it's not showing the EU in a good light....
I dont think the EU have covered themselves in any glory at any time since 1/1/21..... they seem bitter. Like the ex who, instead of trying to win you back, makes you realise what a great decision you took....

(And no I was never a leaver! or a remainer for that matter...)
Appreciate 2
JNW13122.00
JustChris17426.00
      04-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #1658
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
virus 1 people 0.

I had the same conversation with a relative. The same one I've moaned about throughout covid threads.

"These blood clots are so scary, don't you think"
"No, covid is" [and your ongoing blasé attitude to it]

She cancelled her booked AZ vaccine when the first stories broke. Phoned back a fortnight later to ask for it and was told no stock. Now scared of it again. 62 and not exactly fit as a fiddle.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JD64215.00
      04-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #1659
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
virus 1 people 0.

I had the same conversation with a relative. The same one I've moaned about throughout covid threads.

She cancelled her booked AZ vaccine when the first stories broke. Phoned back a fortnight later to ask for it and was told no stock. Now scared of it again. 62 and not exactly fit as a fiddle.
The virus is definitely not going anywhere. As I have said many times, everyone is either going to get the virus or the vaccine. The benign CoVs essentially show us that basically everyone got these other CoVs as children and thus they is no issue because we have all had them many times by the time we are adults and then continue to get them as adults with little or no symptoms (as the common cold).

But the new CoV will take awhile to calm down and needs to infect all before at some point it becomes more benign. This one might be might be more of bad ass virus and remain dangerous to the unvaccinated for sometime.

As of right now the vaccines give great Ab responses that are much higher than natural infection (at least for most) and probably do the same with T cells. So as they say or at least what we are using as our slogan here "vaccinate to celebrate"..... our vaccine outreach group is out using that slogan as we set up our big vaccination sites.

Cheers,
Appreciate 3
JD64215.00
KRS_SN13104.50
rich100874.50
      04-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #1660
PeakyJ
Enthusiast
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d

Apparently the one shot Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine is days away from approval in the UK. This might speed up the roll out to the under 50s.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #1661
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

People believe what they want to believe and it is very difficult changing them, as you say she may be more worried about blood clots than covid yes eventually she sees the best way to go but unfortunately its no longer there to be given. She will get her turn and lets hope everything goes well.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #1662
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apparently the one shot Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine is days away from approval in the UK. This might speed up the roll out to the under 50s.
From our vaccination experience, the J&J - one and done - works great. We use it for all our big drive through mass vaccination efforts. Folks don't even have to leave their cars. Gives a very good response too.
Appreciate 1
PeakyJ47.00
      04-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #1663
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Good news and I think UK approval for the Novavax vaccine is also not too far away with deliveries due to commence in June? That one is going to be made in the North East which should also help to give us greater confidence in vaccine supplies.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #1664
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Quote:
From our vaccination experience, the J&J - one and done - works great. We use it for all our big drive through mass vaccination efforts. Folks don't even have to leave their cars. Gives a very good response too.
How come the others need two shots and this just one? Surely its effect long term won't be as great?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:09 PM   #1665
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Probably best to "ignore" our mad programming friend.
Seems he’s gone and got himself banned. Bless....
Appreciate 4
CajunBMW1288.50
JustChris17426.00
      04-12-2021, 11:16 PM   #1666
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

COVID Vaccine

So to start off - both of the vaccine types work well. Pfizer and Moderna are listed at mid 90's efficacy after two shots and J&J is listed as upper 80's with one shot. But remember all of them prevent serious disease and thus are effective at stopping hospitalizations and deaths and I believe all mitigate spread. Real world data is showing that the vaccines block spread.

Why two shots vs one shot? Here is what I know. Some is pragmatic. A one shot (one and done) that does not need to be stored as cold as the other Vaccines and can be administered in places where two shots would be difficult to administer would be expected to have a greater opportunity to be used all over the world. So some business decisions likely here. This is exactly how we are using the different vaccines. When we advertise for and set up for mass vaccinations sites (once every few weeks for the big sites) we use J&J so that the people don't have to come back. When we set up for our every day sites (open 4-6 days a week), we generally use the mRNA vaccines as most people can come for the second shot.

I am also thinking there was discussion of issues with an immune response to the adenovirus that serves as the vector for the spike protein gene. So the adenovirus vector is based on a virus that causes some cases of the common cold and thus a lot of people have seen the virus. So a second shot might not help if the immune response just targeted the vector before it was able to delivery the spike protein gene. With that stated, J&J has tested and used the vector to make an Ebola vaccine so there was a lot of prep work on the vector and a lot of the understanding of its safety profile.

Will there be a difference in the length of the immune response in the one and done vs two shots? At this point no one knows. Both should last more than 6 months; my guess is longer. The prime and then boost approach using two shots may or may not last longer, but I believe that at the very least there probably is a better or stronger immune response with two shots. The antibody response is crazy strong with the Pfizer vaccine.

Going back to the first point I wrote. Both vaccines work great and are doing exactly as they are intended to do with some minor pros and cons for each. If I was not already vaccinated I would take what ever one I was offered at this point to help keep me safe and to help society get us out of this pandemic mess. The more shots in arms the better.

I hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 2
robbiep1967.50
      04-13-2021, 02:28 AM   #1667
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Great news - over 45s asked to book in England now.

Covid vaccine: All over-50s and high risk groups offered first dose https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56725940
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:13 AM   #1668
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Great news - over 45s asked to book in England now.

Covid vaccine: All over-50s and high risk groups offered first dose https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56725940
According to the bbc news, website has crashed due to demand. Whilst that is less than ideal, good to see there is still massive take up
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:38 AM   #1669
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Northern Ireland is now vaccinating 40-45 year olds. But the Republic of Ireland has recommended not using the Astra-Zeneca jab on under 60 year olds, which is madness. We might as well not be bothering up here. A stupid, stupid decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 04:35 AM   #1670
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Yup, great news that we've now moved to everyone over 45 being able to book a jab!

Get on it if you haven't already!

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...s-vaccination/
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18605.50
      04-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #1671
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
https://www.euractiv.com/section/pol...trazeneca-jab/
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 06:13 AM   #1672
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
How many 45-49year olds are there in the UK?

I'm in the next batch of 40-44yrs I guess and just wondering how long before this gets opened up.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread