F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Morimoto 2stroke 2.0
ARMA SPEED

12-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Morimoto 2stroke 2.0

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my halogen headlights - ordered the USR set already but I'm debating between the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LED vs Elite HID. I would prefer to go the LED route given that there is no messing around with wires and replacing bulbs in the future should be a simpler process theoretically.

I am unable to find any previous posts about the 2Stroke 2.0 although I did read some negative comments on the first version. Anyone here have experience with them? Do I need the DRL Anti-Flicker Link/Cap Extension that are optional add ons?

I appreciate the help.
      12-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Hi Slowe,

This site has some info:

https://bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

Murf
Appreciate 1
90SLOWE17.50
      12-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90SLOWE View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my halogen headlights - ordered the USR set already but I'm debating between the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LED vs Elite HID. I would prefer to go the LED route given that there is no messing around with wires and replacing bulbs in the future should be a simpler process theoretically.

I am unable to find any previous posts about the 2Stroke 2.0 although I did read some negative comments on the first version. Anyone here have experience with them? Do I need the DRL Anti-Flicker Link/Cap Extension that are optional add ons?

I appreciate the help.
I've installed the Morimoto 2stroke 2.0s on my wife's 2012 328i. Although I never used the 1.0s, I read a lot of reviews stating the 2.0s are much much improved over the 1.0s. The led chip location on the 2.0s are supposed to more closely mimic the location of the filament on halogen bulbs, to produce the right beam pattern. Visibility is much improved over halogens, although to be honest there is still glare to oncoming drivers. I had to aim it down. The hot spot is also not as ideal as I'd like.

You will need the anti flicker and also need to code your headlights to not do cold and warm check. You won't need cap extension cause the 2.0s and anti flicker can all fit into the headlight housing.

Here are some pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
90SLOWE17.50
      12-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
I've installed the Morimoto 2stroke 2.0s on my wife's 2012 328i. Although I never used the 1.0s, I read a lot of reviews stating the 2.0s are much much improved over the 1.0s. The led chip location on the 2.0s are supposed to more closely mimic the location of the filament on halogen bulbs, to produce the right beam pattern. Visibility is much improved over halogens, although to be honest there is still glare to oncoming drivers. I had to aim it down. The hot spot is also not as ideal as I'd like.

You will need the anti flicker and also need to code your headlights to not do cold and warm check. You won't need cap extension cause the 2.0s and anti flicker can all fit into the headlight housing.

Here are some pics:
Thank you for the pictures and sharing your experience. I just bought them. I hope I don't have the glare issue since I just purchased the Depo projectors to go with them.
      12-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Hi Slowe,

This site has some info:

https://bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

Murf
Thank you.
      12-26-2019, 11:30 PM   #6
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Here are some pics:
Thank you for the pictures and sharing your experience. I just bought them. I hope I don't have the glare issue since I just purchased the Depo projectors to go with them.
Ah got it, I didn't realize you were using them with depo projectors, that should work out much better in terms of beam pattern and glare. I was using them on the OEM halogen housing.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 02:28 AM   #7
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
How did you get the bulb to fit into the adapter? I read that some others have had trouble getting it to fit because of the heat sink. Is there a trick to it? I received my headlights today but the bulbs are yet to arrive
      01-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #8
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How did you get the bulb to fit into the adapter? I read that some others have had trouble getting it to fit because of the heat sink. Is there a trick to it? I received my headlights today but the bulbs are yet to arrive
I can't speak to the Depo projectors, since I don't know whether those will require you to use an bulb adaptor/holder or not. If you do, it may be tricky. I think I got mine from Lightwerkz and I asked them this question - they said that if you need an adapter then the morimotos may not fit since there's no way to remove the heat sink.

On my OEM halogen headlight housing, I didn't need a bulb adaptor. The morimoto 2.0s fit directly into the clips that hold the original H7 halogen bulbs. The LED driver and anti flicker module also fit inside the OEM headlight housing no problem. I just tucked them in.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      01-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
90SLOWE
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I can't speak to the Depo projectors, since I don't know whether those will require you to use an bulb adaptor/holder or not. If you do, it may be tricky. I think I got mine from Lightwerkz and I asked them this question - they said that if you need an adapter then the morimotos may not fit since there's no way to remove the heat sink.

On my OEM halogen headlight housing, I didn't need a bulb adaptor. The morimoto 2.0s fit directly into the clips that hold the original H7 halogen bulbs. The LED driver and anti flicker module also fit inside the OEM headlight housing no problem. I just tucked them in.
Thanks Chuckles. I went with HIDs instead and installed the Morimoto Elites, 5500, 35W.

Here is a phone picture - that's the only one I have right now.
Attached Images

01-16-2020, 12:44 AM   #10
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Chuckles. I went with HIDs instead and installed the Morimoto Elites, 5500, 35W.

Here is a phone picture - that's the only one I have right now.
That's great!! Looks really nice. HIDs are great in a projector, and will be brighter than the 2 stroke LEDs. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Just ordered a set of the new Morimoto's

Can't wait to get them installed