F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > M2 v M240 vid
proTUNING Freaks

09-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #67
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I won't be keeping the M2 and will likely take advantage of the strong residuals and order an M4 as soon as the LCI is launched.

But to say the M2 will experience a similar value trajectory as the M3/M4 is ludicrous.
I think if you don't keep the M2 for very long you've a decent chance of moving it on without losing too much; I also agree that M2 residuals are unlikely to mimic those of the M3/M4, at least in the short term.

However, I also doubt M2 residuals will be anywhere near as strong as (say) those of the 1M and I think a harsh reality is already hitting home for those that ordered with the hope of flipping for a quick profit. I also tend to agree with the view that discounts will become available next year; almost certainly not at the levels we've seen on the M3/M4 but the reality seems to be that orders are being cancelled and once M2's start arriving in the dealer network without a buyer discounts will surely follow?

For what it's worth I quite like the M2 but I'll stay clear of the market until the launch euphoria has disappeared; I think that's happening already and hopefully cars will available at more sensible money in 12 to 18 months time...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #68
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Awful lot of assumptions there, whilst also trying to appear clever.

1) Who said my M2 is my daily commuter? My daily commuter is a VW Up (soon to be replaced by a Polo which I ordered last week. Not that I "commute" really. I could walk to work in 20 mins.

2) My M2 isn't tax free and is staying on UK plates. My tax free days ended long ago.

3) I spend half my life in the UK as I work about three days a week in Holland.

4) I'm well aware of Park Lane and the diplomatic program BMW have. I've helped direct a lot of colleagues there when the Pound crashed in 2008, and also recently. The father of my goddaughter bought his 5 Series via Park Lane.
The assumptions are based on the 'I live outside the U.K' in numerous posts you have made, now it appears that's not actually true..

So basically you commute via shuttle etc to the continent for 3 days and live 4 days in the UK, big difference to actually living there.

So a VW UP, An M2 and an R8.

Why when the pound crashed????

Discounts actually reduced then, by a good bit.

Okay, so to get things straight you live 4 days a week and then work 3 days on the continent when on shift.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #69
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
I assume the Irnbrukid either has an M2 or has one on order

I say prepare Mr Botty with plenty of Vaseline my Scottish friend
Yes mate had one for 3 months.. previously owned numerous BMW's none got the attention this car gets, probably the rarity factor

No vaseline required
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      09-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #70
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
I assume the Irnbrukid either has an M2 or has one on order

I say prepare Mr Botty with plenty of Vaseline my Scottish friend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
No one mentioned big discounts, there are already discounts from list.

Back to basics, not by choice it down to the economics of tooling.

The majority of the M2 relies on tooling paid for by the 1 series and also inherits the BOM from same series.

The largest outlay on majority of manufacturer products is tooling and the assembly side of things.

By limiting the BOM and the assembly side of things, they naturally limit the car.

Saying it is back to basics as if it's a reduced weight pure driving experience superior to the other M cars would be bollox, it's a manufacturing limitation pure and simple.
Someone mentioned big discounts next year..

I meant back to basics as in, not umpteen settings for dampers throttle, an endless list of extras extras etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #71
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I haven't discussed discount with the foreign dealer, but the fact is.....the queue is naturally getting shorter.
What does a foreign dealer have to do with anything? Mine's a UK car from a UK dealer, on UK plates. If you want to talk foreign dealers then the situation is even more critical. Only 25 are being imported into Holland. All sold out. I was looking at a used example identical to mine only two days ago. April build with about 10,000km on it on sale at an official BMW dealer. €90,000.

Quote:
My dealer actually has mentioned he should be able to do something, but I'm thinking a service inclusive, or an M Power t shirt, rather than cash off. But then I am a loyal customer, so probably not the norm.
A t-shirt?!

Quote:
Once cars start boarding boats with no buyers allocated, then discounts become a reality.
Which is going to happen when? With the numbers they're importing, that's not going to be any time soon!

Quote:
too small for most as a daily driver, not got the prestige like the M3 has of being the top of the range mid exec saloon.
Small? It doesn't need to appeal to the mass market when it's being built in such small numbers! What are you not getting?

And doesn't have the prestige? It's a lot rarer than the M3/M4, so that will make up for that!

And the M2 is in the same position as the M3/M4/ That is, top of the range of its particular segment.

Quote:
Not got the toys. It has limited appeal, limited demographic.
Again, the fact that you think "not having the toys" is a disadvantage just shows that you don't "get it". There is a part of the market that this just doesn't matter.

Quote:
My view is BMW haven't throttled production for some sort of cunning marketing reasons, they have done it because it's an expensive car to build, and they know they wouldn't sell many more than they have declared they are making, so no point churning them out otherwise they would be sitting on forecourts.
Utter rubbish. The M2 is built on a modular production line in Leipzig rather than where the M3 is built. The only spare capacity they had was there, and it has to be built on the same line as other models such as the Active Tourer, and then pulled off the line to have various parts added. This is a slow, laborious process. This is all available info if you had any vested interest in the M2, which you don't.

The M2 just isn't for you, and you don't understand it looking on paper. That's fine, but you clearly don't understand the whole story about its existence.

A foreign dealer is one that is not my normal, not another country.

I don't know what discount I will get, as I say my sales guy said he would do something for me. It won't be just a t shirt, but shoot me down for trying to inject some humour.

Lol you truly are an argumentative muppet. I have an M2 slot in 9 months, my choice why it's 9 months. If I had wanted one sooner I'd have been driving one months ago, and I wasn't one that registered interest ages ago either. I did get to drive one launch week and was offered the test car. I've been offered slots in the meantime as has been mentioned. The fact that I am being targeted tells me there are not many like me that appreciate the package that is the M2.

0-60 and toys are massively important to some. The fact the M2 is 'basic' will turn off the 'I want the best in class' types. It is expensive for what you get without discounts and a faster, much cheaper M240i is not going to help.

But you go ahead, kid yourself that you've cunningly made some genius investment....swooped in to buy the car everyone is lining up to get. You go girl

You are such a bad mofo mat
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #72
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Residuals is a strange angle to go with when trying to troll someone with an M2.
Exactly.. some reviewers reckon it's the best M for 10 years. Was reading a guy put it on par with his CSL

Quote:
Erm, where is there a 12-18 month waiting list? You are a bit behind the times it seems.

Anyone who wants an M2 can get one if they are prepared to look for one in much less time than you mention. I've been offered 3 less than 5 months slots by two different dealers. My own dealer I can understand as I might get preferential treatment, but a totally unknown dealer offering me a queue jump? :
As I said earlier peoples circumstances change and they decide not to proceed. I've heard of slots becoming available, but on the other hand read a guy on another forum has had his deposit down for a year and still no build
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #73
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid View Post
Yes mate had one for 3 months.. previously owned numerous BMW's none got the attention this car gets, probably the rarity factor

No vaseline required
So what makes it a really good driviers car?

What bits make it feel special to you?

What colour did you go for?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #74
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I can get standard discount now, however anything below say 8% is not a discount.

Obviously as you don't pay VAT, you make quite a decent saving.

If bring back to basics, then why do people mention it?

Surely saying it is a back to basics car is therefore a totally irrelevant post, however you take umbrage at me and not the poster of the irrelevant post???

Strong residuals for now, once current engine is added, then the originals will likely drop a good bit in price, with the newer engine most likely commanding higher price and improvements usually found on post release cars.

Admittedly it is slightly confusing an R8 owner stooping down to an M2.
Where's the proof of the discount..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #75
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
The assumptions are based on the 'I live outside the U.K' in numerous posts you have made, now it appears that's not actually true..

So basically you commute via shuttle etc to the continent for 3 days and live 4 days in the UK, big difference to actually living there.

So a VW UP, An M2 and an R8.

Why when the pound crashed????

Discounts actually reduced then, by a good bit.

Okay, so to get things straight you live 4 days a week and then work 3 days on the continent when on shift.
I live in Holland and own property there. I spend more time in Holland than the UK.

Why when the Pound crashed? Because I get paid in Euros, so it made it far cheaper to order and pay for my R8 and M2 in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #76
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid

As I said earlier peoples circumstances change and they decide not to proceed. I've heard of slots becoming available, but on the other hand read a guy on another forum has had his deposit down for a year and still no build
My god his sales guy must hate him.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #77
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
So what makes it a really good driviers car?

What bits make it feel special to you?

What colour did you go for?
The problem with M cars are they are just getting larger and heavier, everyone has wanted a smaller M car now there is one.
It just is great little car imho the speed it goes round bends an M135 (now m140/m240) couldn't cope with, traction is a lot better as well.. brakes etc.

What do you mean special? the way it drives.. the interior lets it down a bit, but im more interested in the drive than interior.

Was white first then changed to LBB.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #78
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #79
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Where's the proof of the discount..
Blue light and other corporate bodies get standard discount with a number of manufacturers, this holds true even with placing orders prior to a model being launched.

Ford, Mercedes, Audi and BMW will give discounts on new models from orders starting.

That has always been the case and rarely changes, yes sometimes it might only be 8% discount.

With the MK4 Mondeo we got 23% discount ordering prior to launch and received car prior to official launch, same with Audi, although that was about 15%.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #80
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
My god his sales guy must hate him.
Im pretty sure TRL had 10 deposits before the car was launched so I expect some of them wont see a car till 2018.

I know my local dealer sold their demo to someone from Peterborough. He drove the car home and sold it for £5k profit 3 days later.

Then BMW were on the phone to the dealer giving them what for
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #81
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Blue light and other corporate bodies get standard discount with a number of manufacturers, this holds true even with placing orders prior to a model being launched.

Ford, Mercedes, Audi and BMW will give discounts on new models from orders starting.

That has always been the case and rarely changes, yes sometimes it might only be 8% discount.

With the MK4 Mondeo we got 23% discount ordering prior to launch and received car prior to official launch, same with Audi, although that was about 15%.
We are talking punter walking in of the street here not corporate deals/discounts or forces ones.

I know my supplying dealer turned away a few people trying to buy his demo, he said why should i sell it someone who's never bought from us before when i might have a good customer (like me) guys who have had a few M's off them before not getting the option before some random just wanting to make a quick buck.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #82
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

The M2 is nice, but if only they made a slightly bigger car with more power, HUD, nicer seats, a carbon fibre roof, plenty of build slots and decent discounts!
Appreciate 1
dopper993511.00
      09-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #83
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
We are talking punter walking in of the street here not corporate deals/discounts or forces ones.

I know my supplying dealer turned away a few people trying to buy his demo, he said why should i sell it someone who's never bought from us before when i might have a good customer (like me) guys who have had a few M's off them before not getting the option before some random just wanting to make a quick buck.
I don't give a shit about normal people on the street.

They never get the same discounts even on normal cars, so they don't matter.

yes some dealers may be fair with regular customers etc, however someone pitching up and offering above odds, then would be crazy to turn down.

with the likes of Coast 2 Coast and Taral deals, being faithful to a local dealer that charges you more than rates you can get elsewhere is getting less and less.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #84
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I don't give a shit about normal people on the street.

They never get the same discounts even on normal cars, so they don't matter.

yes some dealers may be fair with regular customers etc, however someone pitching up and offering above odds, then would be crazy to turn down.

with the likes of Coast 2 Coast and Taral deals, being faithful to a local dealer that charges you more than rates you can get elsewhere is getting less and less.
that's apples n oranges then on the discount front.. when a normal retail punter gets a discount then we can say they are falling off a cliff (not any time soon)

No the demo was sold at list, I know a lot of the guys on the M2 forum were getting cheesed off at dealers selling their demos to randoms. They should be offered up the list imo.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #85
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The M2 is nice, but if only they made a slightly bigger car with more power, HUD, nicer seats, a carbon fibre roof, plenty of build slots and decent discounts!
When they can make a smaller lighter one with less power which is just as fast round a track
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #86
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
When they can make a smaller lighter one with less power which is just as fast round a track
But is it a track toy, or a road car?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #87
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It's a road car, let's face it in the UK 99% buyers use new cars for sitting on the M25 etc.

I bet very few end up on the track.

Even on this forum, how many petrol powered 3 / 4 series have been on the track?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #88
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's a road car, let's face it in the UK 99% buyers use new cars for sitting on the M25 etc.

I bet very few end up on the track.

Even on this forum, how many petrol powered 3 / 4 series have been on the track?
Can be used for both just like the M3/4 you alluded to.

Brig is right, but i would say a higher majority will end up on track than a 3 or 4 series.

None of us need any more than a 318d do we really.. but we can, so we do
Appreciate 0