F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #6007
muniz_ri
Captain
United_States
217
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: BMW 320I
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryderf30 View Post
Hi all,


SDK Version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST Version: 3.1.2.gpe.b
MCU Version: 20.10.22.16
HW Version: BMW_NBT

It was mentioned that the box I have is Andream A. All works well except AA doesn't auto start. Can I still downgrade to a firmware that fixes this bug? Although my firmware seems newer?

Thanks!
If you use Android Auto and have an A unit then I recommend the custom sw on the first page. It auto-starts AA and also switches to night mode automatically when your headlights turn on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #6008
muniz_ri
Captain
United_States
217
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: BMW 320I
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTroll View Post
If you look at my question just above your comment, someone responded that sellers are recommending that you first flash the software updates, then do the firmware. Sounds like you did the firmware first. I'm wondering if that's your issue. I was able to flash to BR112 first, then do the firmware update to 20.10.22.16 without any issue. In fact, I just dropped both updates on the same flash drive and did them one after the other without even unplugging the flash drive or turning the car off.
Yes, that was my post about sellers recommending that you first flash the system before the mcu.

Myself and others have already tried that. The burn failure issue that we are dealing with only affects a few it seems. Haven't been able to find the root cause...yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #6009
muniz_ri
Captain
United_States
217
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: BMW 320I
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpX View Post
Just small remark from my experience when flashing various hardware with new firmware (e.q. audio amplifier, navigations , etc..).

Did you format the USB drivers to FAT32 using Windows machine?
Because I am by default running Mac, and a lot of times have problems with these drives when I format them using the Mac OSX utility to FAT32 - It would appear that Mac does something with formatting slightly differently.

And btw, always try to use small USB, 8GB or less.
Thanks for that.

We have tried all of the obvious stuff, e.g. fat32 on Windows and Linux, new flash drives, Rufus format tool, etc.

I suspect the issue is somehow software related, possibly a file header issue combined with other variables. I will keep trying to narrow it down. In the meantime, I am just sharing info for those experiencing the same thing hoping that we can start to zero in on the issue.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #6010
ryderf30
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: C

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
If you use Android Auto and have an A unit then I recommend the custom sw on the first page. It auto-starts AA and also switches to night mode automatically when your headlights turn on.

Thank you! Going to give that a go.

Anyone know if we can take a backup of the existing SW before updating?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #6011
GoodTroll
New Member
2
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: Red 2014 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Yes, that was my post about sellers recommending that you first flash the system before the mcu.

Myself and others have already tried that. The burn failure issue that we are dealing with only affects a few it seems. Haven't been able to find the root cause...yet.
Oops, yep, didn't realize both were you. Sorry you're having issues!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #6012
ryderf30
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: C

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
If you use Android Auto and have an A unit then I recommend the custom sw on the first page. It auto-starts AA and also switches to night mode automatically when your headlights turn on.
Just in case someone else has my unit. It is Andream version B and NOT A.
Loading the USB, it's asking for the GEMINI_Pack.bin

Unfortunately the custom software will not work then!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:28 PM   #6013
GEDDES
newbie
Australia
2
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW F30 330i
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Queensland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Thanks for that.

We have tried all of the obvious stuff, e.g. fat32 on Windows and Linux, new flash drives, Rufus format tool, etc.

I suspect the issue is somehow software related, possibly a file header issue combined with other variables. I will keep trying to narrow it down. In the meantime, I am just sharing info for those experiencing the same thing hoping that we can start to zero in on the issue.
Thankyou for all the work you have put in to this post. Honestly I still check back hoping for the custom firmware for the B units. Its crazy to think its nearly there. Once again thankyou.
Appreciate 1
muniz_ri216.50

      Yesterday, 05:39 AM   #6014
marrhou
Registered
France
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 LCI
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: North

iTrader: (0)

Hi all,

First time posting on this forum. I've been reading it for a while now, and first of all thank you to all people contributing and helping others.

I recently purchased one for my F30 LCI with NBT Evo (iDrive 5). Decided to take it from these guys in UK, TA Automotive. Their feedback on FB was great, I wanted to get the best support I could.
I was not disappointed on this, with answers within minutes and precision even during the weekend.

The box is compatible with Evo ID5 (ID6 too I guess) HU. It looks like it is a Andream A version, regarding the firmware naming, setup interface, and PIN code required to get in the update menu. Here are the details:

SDK Version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST Version: v2.1.0.8.gpe.e
MCU Version: 20.9.18.20
HW Version: BMW_EVO

I mainly use AA with a One Plus 7T. Wireless connexion is OK (sometimes need to initiate connexion twice, but did not have disconnection issues so far).
There was some echo during calls fixed by tweaking the audio settings a bit. There is no option to pass calls through OEM BT in settings.
The dark mode auto switch does not seem to work.

Concerning the firmware since it is supposedly an Andream A version, is is possible to install custom firmware on it or is it packaged for specific hardware (NBT, CIC)? Cause it obv would be so great to have the custom one with AA.

I am generally happy so far with the product, Audio is good enough for me (Maybe Google Assistant which has not the same quality but music was my main concern).

Concerning the installation I had to bring down the glove box, but is was not as hard as I expected actually, well even if I reconnected the battery without replugging the harness in the passenger airbag switch , which raised a nice fault on start.
For others meeting this too, I purchased a Veepeak BLE and just installed an OBD reader, bimmer-tool, which cleared this in a minute. but RTFM (twice)
Appreciate 1
x-m4n137.50

      Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #6015
muniz_ri
Captain
United_States
217
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: BMW 320I
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrhou View Post
Hi all,

First time posting on this forum. I've been reading it for a while now, and first of all thank you to all people contributing and helping others.

I recently purchased one for my F30 LCI with NBT Evo (iDrive 5). Decided to take it from these guys in UK, TA Automotive. Their feedback on FB was great, I wanted to get the best support I could.
I was not disappointed on this, with answers within minutes and precision even during the weekend.

The box is compatible with Evo ID5 (ID6 too I guess) HU. It looks like it is a Andream A version, regarding the firmware naming, setup interface, and PIN code required to get in the update menu. Here are the details:

SDK Version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST Version: v2.1.0.8.gpe.e
MCU Version: 20.9.18.20
HW Version: BMW_EVO

I mainly use AA with a One Plus 7T. Wireless connexion is OK (sometimes need to initiate connexion twice, but did not have disconnection issues so far).
There was some echo during calls fixed by tweaking the audio settings a bit. There is no option to pass calls through OEM BT in settings.
The dark mode auto switch does not seem to work.

Concerning the firmware since it is supposedly an Andream A version, is is possible to install custom firmware on it or is it packaged for specific hardware (NBT, CIC)? Cause it obv would be so great to have the custom one with AA.

I am generally happy so far with the product, Audio is good enough for me (Maybe Google Assistant which has not the same quality but music was my main concern).

Concerning the installation I had to bring down the glove box, but is was not as hard as I expected actually, well even if I reconnected the battery without replugging the harness in the passenger airbag switch , which raised a nice fault on start.
For others meeting this too, I purchased a Veepeak BLE and just installed an OBD reader, bimmer-tool, which cleared this in a minute. but RTFM (twice)
I would ask the seller for a copy of the latest software update. Maybe Firefly1337 can analyze it to see if the unit is compatible with the custom sw in this thread.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #6016
muniz_ri
Captain
United_States
217
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: BMW 320I
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimsilva View Post
I agree.

Just finnish a new procedure that they sent me and no luck again.

Point 3 is not very clear to me, but i've tried different away and the upgrade process never starts.
What was the procedure that they suggested? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #6017
marrhou
Registered
France
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 LCI
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: North

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
I would ask the seller for a copy of the latest software update. Maybe Firefly1337 can analyze it to see if the unit is compatible with the custom sw in this thread.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I'll post a link as soon as they send me.

There are more recent MCU versions around. I guess it is the same for them, cross hardware compatibility is not obvious, right?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:39 PM   #6018
muniz_ri
Captain
United_States
217
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: BMW 320I
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrhou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
I would ask the seller for a copy of the latest software update. Maybe Firefly1337 can analyze it to see if the unit is compatible with the custom sw in this thread.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I'll post a link as soon as they send me.

There are more recent MCU versions around. I guess it is the same for them, cross hardware compatibility is not obvious, right?
Correct
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #6019
ckarv
New Member
Finland
8
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: F36
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
What was the procedure that they suggested? Thank you.
I'm guessing this is the new/alternative procedure rimsilva referred to (copied from his post on page 271):

Quote:
Download link:
https://mega.nz/file/mpdAUThY#8arndR...c14LxOSx_3NTkg
Operation steps:
1. Format the USB disk, copy the upgrade file into the root directory of the USB flash drive (FAT32, less than 16GB).
2. Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
3. Power on the Carplay, then keep pressing the 'Back' key for 5s, the screen display interface of the vehicle will leave the original vehicle interface.
4.At this time, the system detects the upgrade file and starts the automatic upgrade.
5. Wait for about 2 minutes, the upgrade process will occur, and the power cannot be turned off during the process.
7. After the upgrade is completed, it will keep at the upgrade interface
I would understand the procedure as:
1. Insert FAT32 usb stick with FW file into USB port.
2. Power on car (press start button without foot on brake) and by extension MMI box.
3. Hold back button for 5s to restart MMI box.
4. Should enter upgrade mode automatically if it detects USB stick with FW. (Don't turn off car)
5. Wait for upgrade to complete.

Is this how you understood this as well? Not sure how the screen switches between idrive and MMI during this procedure.

Last edited by ckarv; Yesterday at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #6020
muniz_ri
Captain
United_States
217
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: BMW 320I
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarv View Post
I'm guessing this is the new/alternative procedure rimsilva referred to (copied from his post on page 271):



I would understand the procedure as:
1. Insert FAT32 usb stick with FW file into USB port.
2. Power on car (press start button without foot on brake) and by extension MMI box.
3. Hold back button for 5s to restart MMI box.
4. Should enter upgrade mode automatically if it detects USB stick with FW. (Don't turn off car)
5. Wait for upgrade to complete.

Is this how you understood this as well? Not sure how the screen switches between idrive and MMI during this procedure.
Thank you. I thought that he may have been given a different procedure to force flash the update.

The above procedure is the same one used for Carlinkit and Bimmertech and maybe other units. I tried it with the RoadTop firmware but unfortunately it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:22 AM   #6021
rimsilva
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: i3
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarv View Post
I'm guessing this is the new/alternative procedure rimsilva referred to (copied from his post on page 271):



I would understand the procedure as:
1. Insert FAT32 usb stick with FW file into USB port.
2. Power on car (press start button without foot on brake) and by extension MMI box.
3. Hold back button for 5s to restart MMI box.
4. Should enter upgrade mode automatically if it detects USB stick with FW. (Don't turn off car)
5. Wait for upgrade to complete.

Is this how you understood this as well? Not sure how the screen switches between idrive and MMI during this procedure.
yep, that's the procedure that I was reffering to.

I just had some doubts about point "3. Power on the Carplay..", what the meaning of power on the Carplay, if it was to enter in the MMI box menu or not, they confirm that it was that.

Dispite they confirm it, i've done the 5s procedure from the MMI box menu and the idrive menu, but no automatically update.

Aftwards they asked me a video doing the new upgrade process, no answer until now.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:36 AM   #6022
SniperZoz
New Member
1
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW F22 228i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation

Hey - just got sent new Roadtop B firmware BR115 ... looking good

Download here - BR115

muniz_ri ^^^
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:07 AM   #6023
Rasoul77
New Member
6
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: Bmw 328i F30
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperZoz View Post
Hey - just got sent new Roadtop B firmware BR115 ... looking good

Download here - BR115

muniz_ri ^^^
Thanks for sharing!
Does AA auto connect work now?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:16 AM   #6024
SniperZoz
New Member
1
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW F22 228i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasoul77 View Post
Thanks for sharing!
Does AA auto connect work now?
Yes - but I was on BR112 before and it also auto-connected (pixel 5 here) so can't say I saw a change there .. that said I've only used it a few mins post FW update.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
andream, android, android auto, apple, carplay, mmi, retrofit

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST